Vactrain Set Development Thread - 1.0.1 Now Available

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

Emperor Jake
Tycoon
Tycoon

Vactrain Set Development Thread - 1.0.1 Now Available

Post by Emperor Jake »

Welcome to the development thread for the Vactrain Set. I’ve been working on this update on and off for the past few years, rewriting it to include most of the features promised in the release thread.

Version 1.0.1 is now available! It's also on Bananas now! The source code is on page 2 of this thread.

Changelog:

2018-01-31 Version 1.0 Beta
- Complete and thorough recode of the set
- Completely new train selection with new graphics
- New track graphics and maglev compatibility
- Implemented cost parameters

2018-07-22 Version 1.0.1
- Added infrastructure cost parameter
- Added maglev compatibility parameter
- New translations: Dutch, Esperanto, improved German

Things that will be in future releases (in order of importance)
  • More Translations
  • Balance/Capacity tweaks
  • Express Cargo Vans
  • A Parameter to remove universal cargo wagons (allow express cargos only)
  • Different loads for cargo wagons (WIP)
  • Sound effects
  • Custom signals, tunnels, eyecandy
  • Make alt text adjust to different units, i.e. kW and mph

I’ve also made my own version of the bridge speed limit GRF: the Vactrain Set Companion, now available on bananas. This small NFO project may include station and waypoint tiles in the future, but for now it's a very simple optional addon.

Feedback, bug reports, suggestions and translations go below :)
Attachments
A small preview of the train list and new rails
A small preview of the train list and new rails
vactrain-preview.png (69.63 KiB) Viewed 20929 times
vactrain_1.0.1.tar
Vactrain Set 1.0.1, 2018-07-22
(206 KiB) Downloaded 808 times
Last edited by Emperor Jake on 22 Jul 2018 15:05, edited 3 times in total.
Emperor Jake
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Vactrain Set Dev Thread - Beta Available

Post by Emperor Jake »

More downloads...
Attachments
vactrainset_1.0BETA_src.tar
Vactrain Set 1.0 Beta 1 Source Code and GRF, 2018-01-30
(1.46 MiB) Downloaded 357 times
vactrain_companion_src.tar
Vactrain Set Companion 0.1.0 Source Code and GRF, 2018-01-30
(26.5 KiB) Downloaded 329 times
language_pack.tar
Language pack for translators. Includes a German translation by me, which could probably be improved.
(19.5 KiB) Downloaded 356 times
Kruemelchen
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Kruemelchen »

I really like the new vactrains, great work with this set!!

It's a great feature they can run on normal maglev tracks as well, very convenient :)

Btw, I attached an updated version of your (already very well) German translation
Attachments
german.lng
(6.59 KiB) Downloaded 242 times
Erato
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by Erato »

Looks great!

Also, some translations:
I don't know what this meant:

Code: Select all

lang: 7F
so I didn't change it. But here, take this:
Attachments
esperanto.lng
(6.62 KiB) Downloaded 244 times
dutch.lng
(6.81 KiB) Downloaded 213 times
No pics no clicks. Seriously.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
mrjack2
Engineer
Engineer

Post by mrjack2 »

Quick observations from trying to get it to interact with NuTracks:

1) It must be placed above NuTracks on GRF list, otherwise the maglev infrastructure and construction costs are nerfed (practically nothing)
2) Infrastructure maintenance is too low compared to NuTracks scale (equivalent to the second highest speed when it should be maybe 2x maglev costs) with no setting to change this (unlike other costs)
goremaniac
Engineer
Engineer

Post by goremaniac »

This is a lovely set. Just one suggestion, Fenglong is chinese name,so probably you need to change flag associated with FL-8 and FL-5 to chinese flag instead of India and Russia flag.

Also a suggestion:- Try making your set 32 bpp supported
Emperor Jake
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Emperor Jake »

mrjack2 wrote: 2) Infrastructure maintenance is too low compared to NuTracks scale (equivalent to the second highest speed when it should be maybe 2x maglev costs) with no setting to change this (unlike other costs)
I agree there should be a setting to change infra costs, I've put it on my to-do list :)
goremaniac wrote:This is a lovely set. Just one suggestion, Fenglong is chinese name,so probably you need to change flag associated with FL-8 and FL-5 to chinese flag instead of India and Russia flag.

The FL-8 and FL-5 originally had Chinese flags, but there were too many Chinese flags and I wanted to give the BRICS nations some representation. The story behind them is that they're Chinese developed and built but sold to Russia and India as part of a greater pan-Asian vactrain network.

As for 32bpp, I don't intend to ever make 32bpp art for any of my NewGRFs, sorry :)
SimYouLater
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by SimYouLater »

Emperor Jake wrote:
mrjack2 wrote: 2) Infrastructure maintenance is too low compared to NuTracks scale (equivalent to the second highest speed when it should be maybe 2x maglev costs) with no setting to change this (unlike other costs)
I agree there should be a setting to change infra costs, I've put it on my to-do list :)
goremaniac wrote:This is a lovely set. Just one suggestion, Fenglong is chinese name,so probably you need to change flag associated with FL-8 and FL-5 to chinese flag instead of India and Russia flag.

The FL-8 and FL-5 originally had Chinese flags, but there were too many Chinese flags and I wanted to give the BRICS nations some representation. The story behind them is that they're Chinese developed and built but sold to Russia and India as part of a greater pan-Asian vactrain network.

As for 32bpp, I don't intend to ever make 32bpp art for any of my NewGRFs, sorry :)
To be honest, I don't get 32bpp. It means I can't have larger than default zoom or I see buildings and vehicles that don't match the remaining graphics.
Licenses for my work...
You automatically have my permission to re-license graphics or code by me if needed for use in any project that is not GPL v2, on the condition that if you release any derivatives of my graphics they're automatically considered as ALSO GPL v2 (code may remain unreleased, but please do provide it) and carry this provision in GPL v2 uses.
Please ask someone in-the-know to be sure that the graphics are done by me. Especially TTD-Scale, long story.
Quast65
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Quast65 »

SimYouLater wrote:To be honest, I don't get 32bpp. It means I can't have larger than default zoom or I see buildings and vehicles that don't match the remaining graphics.
See this post from Gwyd:
viewtopic.php?f=26&t=77141&start=100#p1206659
In short, as I understand it, 32bpp means you can use any color and because of that you can make structures look a lot smoother/detailed, than with using the "old" Openttd palettes.
Projects: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=57266
Screenshots: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=56959
Scenario of The Netherlands: viewtopic.php?f=60&t=87604

Winner of the following screenshot competitions:
sep 2012, jan 2013, apr 2013, aug 2013, mar 2014, mar 2016, oct 2020
All my work is released under GPL-license (either V2 or V3), if not clearly stated otherwise.
SimYouLater
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by SimYouLater »

Quast65 wrote:
SimYouLater wrote:To be honest, I don't get 32bpp. It means I can't have larger than default zoom or I see buildings and vehicles that don't match the remaining graphics.
See this post from Gwyd:
In short, as I understand it, 32bpp means you can use any color and because of that you can make structures look a lot smoother/detailed, than with using the "old" Openttd palettes.
No issue with more colors, but if you're going to do 32bpp, keep in mind that some people want to be able to zoom to 4x without a mismatch of graphics.
Licenses for my work...
You automatically have my permission to re-license graphics or code by me if needed for use in any project that is not GPL v2, on the condition that if you release any derivatives of my graphics they're automatically considered as ALSO GPL v2 (code may remain unreleased, but please do provide it) and carry this provision in GPL v2 uses.
Please ask someone in-the-know to be sure that the graphics are done by me. Especially TTD-Scale, long story.
Erato
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by Erato »

SimYouLater wrote:
Quast65 wrote:
See this post from Gwyd:
No issue with more colors, but if you're going to do 32bpp, keep in mind that some people want to be able to zoom to 4x without a mismatch of graphics.
You didn't read Quast65 or Gwyd's posts, they mentioned that the extra-zoom a) isn't what defined 32bpp and b) is achievable in 8bpp
SimYouLater
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by SimYouLater »

Erato wrote:
SimYouLater wrote:
Quast65 wrote: See this post from Gwyd:
You didn't read Quast65 or Gwyd's posts, they mentioned that the extra-zoom a) isn't what defined 32bpp and b) is achievable in 8bpp
I misunderstood them. Sorry. :oops:
Licenses for my work...
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

The confusion comes from the doomed 32bpp Full Zoom project which combined:
1) 32bpp color palette
2) 4x zoom
3) Blender/3D-rendered graphics instead of hand drawn/pixel pushed graphics.

Casual users will need to untangle themselves from those notions and accept that all three are separate concepts.
Erato
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by Erato »

Emperor Jake wrote:Things that will be in future releases
  • Make alt text adjust to different units, i.e. kW and mph (haven't figured this out yet)
You could have this as a parameter.

Also, could you add a parameter so the Vactrain Set doesn't always override the default maglev tracks? So that it's a separate thing.
Zoeff
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Zoeff »

Just got back to this game for the first time in a very long time, interesting to see mods like this!

Looking forward to seeing this major update completed! :D
Gwyd
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by Gwyd »

kamnet wrote:The confusion comes from the doomed 32bpp Full Zoom project which combined:
1) 32bpp color palette
2) 4x zoom
3) Blender/3D-rendered graphics instead of hand drawn/pixel pushed graphics.

Casual users will need to untangle themselves from those notions and accept that all three are separate concepts.
Done viewtopic.php?f=26&t=83238&p=1206919#p1206919
Emperor Jake
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Emperor Jake »

Erato wrote: Also, could you add a parameter so the Vactrain Set doesn't always override the default maglev tracks? So that it's a separate thing.

Good idea, but do you mean the whole railtype(including the speed limit) or just the graphics? I assume this is for better compatibility with MTS.
Erato
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by Erato »

Emperor Jake wrote:Good idea, but do you mean the whole railtype(including the speed limit) or just the graphics? I assume this is for better compatibility with MTS.
I presume that with he first one you mean making VACT incompatible with MGLV as well?

Both is fine. Make a dropdown parameter. That would allow the player the freedom to choose.

It is for MTS compatibility, but it has a usecase outside of MTS.
Zoeff
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Zoeff »

Just messed around with it in singleplayer a bunch, and am loving the improvements! Being able to run them on regular maglev works wonderfully, and will make upgrading to it much easier.

Would it be possible to put this beta on BaNaNaS? I'd like to add it to my server for us to play around with, having it automatically downloadable would make things much more convenient. :D
Emperor Jake
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Emperor Jake »

This beta was meant as a bug testing release, since there don't seem to be any I'll post it to Bananas as soon as I get around to adding new features :)

Return to “Graphics Development”