Page 1 of 1

[OTTD] Fictional Aircraft [WIP]

Posted: 08 Dec 2017 16:15
by Kaaskroket
Hello all,

I have been using OpenTTD and many of the NewGRFs created by the community for many years and thought it would be fair if I gave something for those countless enjoyable hours in return.

So here it is. My first newGRF for OpenTTD, which adds a few fictional aircraft, spacecraft and some other miscellaneous types of air transportation for gameplay. It's still unfinished and far from perfect, but I hope you will enjoy it nevertheless.
kaas_planes.grf
(3.48 MiB) Downloaded 156 times
Currently this newGRF includes vehicles from:

- Afterdark (Flying Toaster)
- Aladdin (Magic Carpet)
- Avatar: the last Airbender (Fire Nation Airship, Fire Nation War Balloon and Flying Bison)
- Captain Scarlet and the Mysterons (Spectrum Passenger Jet)
- Doctor Who (TARDIS)
- Dragon Ball (Flying Nimbus)
- Fireball XL5 (Fireball XL5)
- Firefly (Serenity)
- Harry potter (Flying Ford Anglia)
- The Incredibles (Manta Jet)
- Internet Meme (Nyan Cat)
- Montana jones (Supermarine GS "Kitty")
- Pokemon (Team Rocket's Balloon)
- Spongebob (Flying Dutchmen's Ship)
- Starfox (Arwing and Wolfen)
- Starwars (Millenium Falcon)
- Talespin (Conwing L-16 "SeaDuck" and Spruce Moose)
- Thunderbirds (Fireflash Airliner, Skyship One, Thunderbird 1, 2 and 3)
- Tintin (Carreidas 160)
- Watchmen (Nite Owl's Airship "Archie")
- Up (Carl Fredricksens House)

And because we are nearing Christmas...
santa.png
santa.png (53.57 KiB) Viewed 4996 times

Source (excluding the 3d models I created for rendering the sprites): https://drive.google.com/file/d/1qYpgak ... sp=sharing
3d models: https://drive.google.com/file/d/197iSW5 ... sp=sharing


known issues:
- Some vehicles have incorrect sprite offsets and / or properties
- Santa's sleigh can be bought throughout the year, although it is supposed to be available for purchase in December only
- If the parameter "limit arwing topspeed" is disabled, the arwing won't be able to land on most airports
- The sprites from large aircraft may cause clipping issues
- The Nyan Cat's and Flying Toaster's songs don't play continuously and can sometimes be heard twice
- The translations I have provided for German and French are incomplete and will likely contain some errors

Notes:
- If desired, most of the vehicles can be enabled or disabled by origin using the parameters
- The first vehicle is invented in 1592 (the flying carpet) and the last one in 2447 (Serenity)

Re: [OTTD] Fictional Aircraft [WIP]

Posted: 09 Dec 2017 03:19
by perverted monkey
Thanks!

Re: [OTTD] Fictional Aircraft [WIP]

Posted: 09 Dec 2017 06:43
by STD
I like this set :)) . Interesting idea for OpenTTD. Thank you :D

Re: [OTTD] Fictional Aircraft [WIP]

Posted: 10 Dec 2017 16:46
by Kaaskroket
I'm glad to hear that you are enjoying this set. You may have noticed already but it is now available for download on Bananas

Re: [OTTD] Fictional Aircraft [WIP]

Posted: 10 Dec 2017 17:53
by Quast65
lol, these are fun!
Really like the behaviour/appearance of the Tardis ;-)

But....
Someone forgot to feed the reindeer...
Example393.png
Example393.png (60.26 KiB) Viewed 4839 times

Re: [OTTD] Fictional Aircraft [WIP]

Posted: 13 Dec 2017 11:29
by skippern
Where is Serenity from Firefly?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Re: [OTTD] Fictional Aircraft [WIP]

Posted: 15 Dec 2017 15:38
by Kaaskroket
First update
Quast65 wrote:lol, these are fun!
Really like the behaviour/appearance of the Tardis ;-)

But....
Someone forgot to feed the reindeer...
The attachment Example393.png is no longer available
No more famished reindeer falling from the sky, because now they can eat flying toast!
toast.gif
toast.gif (1.56 MiB) Viewed 4599 times
skippern wrote:Where is Serenity from Firefly?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'm not quite satisfied with the result but here it is
serenity.png
serenity.png (22.04 KiB) Viewed 4599 times
All Changes:
- Added the Flying Toaster from After Dark and Serenity from Firefly
- VTOL vehicles descend slower (more realistic)
- Nyan Cat's and the Flying Toaster's song can be disabled with a parameter
- Added vertical sprites for Thunderbird 1
- Updated the language files a bit

Re: [OTTD] Fictional Aircraft [WIP]

Posted: 19 Dec 2017 09:33
by kamnet
This is absolutely wonderful and amazing! :bow:

Re: [OTTD] Fictional Aircraft [WIP]

Posted: 02 Jan 2018 19:02
by agentw4b
Could the aircraft development dates be adjusted to not compete with the "AV8" aircraft set?

Re: [OTTD] Fictional Aircraft [WIP]

Posted: 04 Jan 2018 13:47
by Kaaskroket
kamnet wrote:This is absolutely wonderful and amazing! :bow:
A bit late, but still thanks :D
agentw4b wrote:Could the aircraft development dates be adjusted to not compete with the "AV8" aircraft set?
Well, I was thinking about adding the possibility to change the introduction dates to be either 'realistic' (as it is now) or 'regular' (e.g. the date a series was first aired) in a future release. Not sure if that's what you want though.

Re: [OTTD] Fictional Aircraft [WIP]

Posted: 05 Jan 2018 03:41
by Captain Rand
Seeing as you have Thunderbird One in the set, how about adding Thunderbird Two? It would make a great cargo transport!

Some other Anderson related suggestions:-

Fireflash airliner.
Spectrum Passenger Jet.
Skyship One (from "Thunderbird Six").
Zero-X.
Fireball XL5.

I'm a huge Anderson fan, old enough to have seen the shows when first broadcast!

Thanks for a really fun set.


Pete.

Re: [OTTD] Fictional Aircraft [WIP]

Posted: 05 Jan 2018 10:23
by agentw4b
Kaaskroket wrote:
kamnet wrote:This is absolutely wonderful and amazing! :bow:
A bit late, but still thanks :D
agentw4b wrote:Could the aircraft development dates be adjusted to not compete with the "AV8" aircraft set?
Well, I was thinking about adding the possibility to change the introduction dates to be either 'realistic' (as it is now) or 'regular' (e.g. the date a series was first aired) in a future release. Not sure if that's what you want though.
It's great that the dates of some planes are very early, that's okay. The problem arises only when other aircraft kits are available. Then normal planes can not compete with some fictitious aircraft with 700 people on board, etc. Maybe if we could change dates for aircraft development in the Newgrf environment.

Re: [OTTD] Fictional Aircraft [WIP]

Posted: 13 Jan 2018 17:08
by agentw4b
Bug in plane "TARDIS" or conflict newgrf.
I need button for deactivating "tardis". :-(

(other sets VTOL, WAS in my game).

Image

Re: [OTTD] Fictional Aircraft [WIP]

Posted: 15 Jan 2018 01:20
by Kaaskroket
Update:
Captain Rand wrote:Seeing as you have Thunderbird One in the set, how about adding Thunderbird Two? It would make a great cargo transport!

Some other Anderson related suggestions:-

Fireflash airliner.
Spectrum Passenger Jet.
Skyship One (from "Thunderbird Six").
Zero-X.
Fireball XL5.

I'm a huge Anderson fan, old enough to have seen the shows when first broadcast!

Thanks for a really fun set.


Pete.
Hadn't had the time to work on the Zero-X yet, but I hope this birthday treat will suffice (might scale down the Fireflash a bit, as it's currently poking through
the building and causing clipping issues)
Hilbeek Transport.png
(142.53 KiB) Not downloaded yet
agentw4b wrote:Bug in plane "TARDIS" or conflict newgrf.
I need button for deactivating "tardis". :-(

(other sets VTOL, WAS in my game).

Image
Sorry, didn't realize I forgot to limit the top speed of the tardis, fixed that now (it's a known issue that any non-helicopter type vehicle traveling faster than 3283 kmh won't be able to land on most airports which I can't seem to resolve) Newly bought tardises won't experience this problem anymore, but any present tardis will need to be replaced first. I have done this in your save file by temporarily enabling breakdowns, allowing the "broken" tardises to land at their destination airports. If you have been playing a more recent verion of the save and wish to continue on that, you should do the same thing in order to fix it, as disabling the tardis with the parameter I have added will only make the vehicle unavailable for purchase.
fixed_same_version_no_tardis.sav
(1.58 MiB) Downloaded 83 times
(should also work with the new version)
fixed_new_version_with_tardis.sav
(1.58 MiB) Downloaded 83 times
(you'll get the same problem if you use this with the old version)

And as for your previous post, I will try to make things more balanced in the future.

Additions:
Thunderbird 2 and 3
Skyship One
Fireflash Airliner
Fireball XL5
Wolfen

Fixes:
TARDIS unable to land

Other changes:
Reduced the Spruce Moose's capicity and it's costs to compensate.
Updated the language files a bit

NOTE: The newly added vehicles are not listed alphabetically if the purchase menu is sorted by vehicle-id. This is not a bug but done on purpose to keep the set backwards compatible.

Re: [OTTD] Fictional Aircraft [WIP]

Posted: 15 Jan 2018 06:48
by Gwyd
Ooo, Thunderbirds. I am all of a sudden very interested

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Re: [OTTD] Fictional Aircraft [WIP]

Posted: 15 Jan 2018 11:43
by Captain Rand
!!!!!

Honestly, I'm lost for words.The new Anderson stuff is amazing! Fireflash is especially impressive, it's a shame about the clipping though (I'm not complaining, I can live with a glitch or two). It probably means Zero-X will also need to be scaled down. Ah well.......

I'm eagerly waiting to see what else you can dream up.

I'm going to have LOTS of fun using this set!

Many thanks.

Pete.

Re: [OTTD] Fictional Aircraft [WIP]

Posted: 15 Jan 2018 18:56
by agentw4b
Kaaskroket wrote:Update:
Captain Rand wrote:Seeing as you have Thunderbird One in the set, how about adding Thunderbird Two? It would make a great cargo transport!

Some other Anderson related suggestions:-

Fireflash airliner.
Spectrum Passenger Jet.
Skyship One (from "Thunderbird Six").
Zero-X.
Fireball XL5.

I'm a huge Anderson fan, old enough to have seen the shows when first broadcast!

Thanks for a really fun set.


Pete.
Hadn't had the time to work on the Zero-X yet, but I hope this birthday treat will suffice (might scale down the Fireflash a bit, as it's currently poking through
the building and causing clipping issues)
Hilbeek Transport.png
agentw4b wrote:Bug in plane "TARDIS" or conflict newgrf.
I need button for deactivating "tardis". :-(

(other sets VTOL, WAS in my game).

Image
Sorry, didn't realize I forgot to limit the top speed of the tardis, fixed that now (it's a known issue that any non-helicopter type vehicle traveling faster than 3283 kmh won't be able to land on most airports which I can't seem to resolve) Newly bought tardises won't experience this problem anymore, but any present tardis will need to be replaced first. I have done this in your save file by temporarily enabling breakdowns, allowing the "broken" tardises to land at their destination airports. If you have been playing a more recent verion of the save and wish to continue on that, you should do the same thing in order to fix it, as disabling the tardis with the parameter I have added will only make the vehicle unavailable for purchase.

fixed_same_version_no_tardis.sav
(should also work with the new version)
fixed_new_version_with_tardis.sav
(you'll get the same problem if you use this with the old version)

And as for your previous post, I will try to make things more balanced in the future.

Additions:
Thunderbird 2 and 3
Skyship One
Fireflash Airliner
Fireball XL5
Wolfen

Fixes:
TARDIS unable to land

Other changes:
Reduced the Spruce Moose's capicity and it's costs to compensate.
Updated the language files a bit

NOTE: The newly added vehicles are not listed alphabetically if the purchase menu is sorted by vehicle-id. This is not a bug but done on purpose to keep the set backwards compatible.
Thank you !