[NRT] RattRoads - 1.2.1 released 05-20-23!

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

Andrew350
Chairman
Chairman

[NRT] RattRoads - 1.2.1 released 05-20-23!

Post by Andrew350 »

After years of development, RattRoads has reached what is likely it's final major update, 1.2.1, available below or via the online content!

rattroads2.png
rattroads2.png (77.8 KiB) Viewed 3633 times

RattRoads is essentially the successor to ARRS, featuring revamped sprites, 9 additional roadtypes, and 4 tramtypes to take advantage of some of NRT's features. All road types are compatible to each other and the default [ROAD] type so any vehicles can drive on them. Below is a basic overview of what is included:
  • Old Town Roads (Hidden) [OLD_] - This is a special road type which only towns can build when starting a game pre-1920. It is just a visual combination of the dirt and sett paved roads to give early towns some extra character. It is not available for you (the player) to build.
  • Dirt Road [DIRT] - Everyone's favorite bumpy, dusty, dirt roads make a return for RattRoads featuring a shiny dirty new look. These roads are available from year 0 and due to being even less safe than their paved cousins only have a default speed limit of 25mph.
  • Sett Paved Road [SETT] - Also available from year 0, these roads offer a paved alternative to the muddy, bumpy roads of the old days. Made with sett stones, they offer only a slight increase in speed to 30mph, but they look especially appropriate inside old towns.
  • Basic Asphalt Road [ROAD/ASP0] - Introduced in 1920 and nothing more than a strip of pavement, it is cheap and only has a default speed limit of 40mph.
    [+] Spoiler
    Due to a compatibility fix, Basic Asphalt uses both ROAD and ASP0 labels. ROAD is a hidden type which towns build, ASP0 is the one available to players, but they look and function identically otherwise.
  • Improved Asphalt Road [ASP1] - Boasting improved safety features, such as a yellow line painted on the surface, this roadtype is introduced in 1940 and has a default speed limit of 55mph
  • Modern Asphalt Road [ASP2] - This roadtype is introduced in 1970 and includes paved shoulders and fog lines, allowing a higher speed limit of 85mph.
  • Highway [HWAY] - Introduced in 1955, the Highway roadtype has no speed limit, but is very expensive. Note that houses will not build along this roadtype!
Also new in 1.0+ is the addition of 4 electrified versions of the above roadtypes for use with trolleybuses:
  • Electrified Sett Paved Road [ELSP]
  • Electrified Basic Asphalt Road [ELA0/ELRD]
    [+] Spoiler
    Due to a compatibility fix, Electrified Basic Asphalt uses both ELRD and ELA0 labels. ELRD is a hidden type which is only there for compatibility with older saves.
  • Electrified Improved Asphalt Road [ELA1]
  • Electrified Modern Asphalt Road [ELA2]
New in 1.2.0, there are now 4 tramtypes, basic tramway and concrete tramway with electric/non-electric variants:
  • Basic Tramway [RAIL]
  • Electric Tramway [ELRL]
  • Concrete Tramway [SAAN]
  • Concrete Electric Tramway [SAAE]
There are several parameters included to help customize the set to your playstyle, such as adjusting speed limits, switching between North American and European road styles, changing availability, and more. All of these are explained in more detail in the parameter screen and in the readme.
Here is a handy reference table for the speed limit parameter:

Code: Select all

type |       easy       |       hard       |       harder     |
---------------------------------------------------------------
       mph / kph / m/s    mph / kph / m/s    mph / kph / m/s
---------------------------------------------------------------
dirt    25 /  40 /  10  |  15 /  20 /  06  |  10 /  15 /  03  |
sett    30 /  50 /  12  |  20 /  30 /  08  |  15 /  20 /  06  |
road    40 /  60 /  17  |  30 /  50 /  12  |  20 /  30 /  08  |
asp1    55 /  90 /  24  |  40 /  60 /  17  |  30 /  50 /  12  |
asp2    85 / 140 /  37  |  60 / 100 /  26  |  50 /  80 /  21  |
hway   inf / inf / inf  |  85 / 140 /  37  |  70 / 110 /  31  |
---------

This NewGRF requires OpenTTD 13.0 or later to function, and as usual is released under GPL v2 license. Huge thanks to the team behind NRT and OpenTTD itself for making this possible! :)

Enjoy!
Attachments
rattroads.tar
(742 KiB) Downloaded 49 times
rattroads_source_1.2.1.zip
(948.99 KiB) Downloaded 46 times
Last edited by Andrew350 on 21 May 2023 03:46, edited 12 times in total.
Kalen
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Re: [NRT] RATT Roads

Post by Kalen »

I finally got around to testing the RATT build and I must say I am impressed! One of the things I love the most about this is how it appears that with NRT we will no longer have to worry about road set compatibility for old sets like TBRS, much like how it is for tracktypes currently.

Also: I did the unthinkable and built and even used tunnels and nothing out of the ordinary happened... should something have happened? :P
supermop
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by supermop »

Very happy to see this development!
wallyweb
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by wallyweb »

One road type is missing ... The very rural gravel/mud/dirt road we all love to use in order to smash our suspensions while on our way to fishing and hunting camps and forestry and mining operations. 8) They could also be used for those unavoidable "Road Under Construction" zones that make us late for appointments and where we get ticketed and fined for not slowing down. :P

Ooops :oops: I just noticed they are on your to-do list.
einsteinyh
Engineer
Engineer

Post by einsteinyh »

also would be great having a pre-1920 stone paved road in towns apart from dirt rural roads
Andrew350
Chairman
Chairman

Post by Andrew350 »

Kalen wrote:I finally got around to testing the RATT build and I must say I am impressed! One of the things I love the most about this is how it appears that with NRT we will no longer have to worry about road set compatibility for old sets like TBRS, much like how it is for tracktypes currently.
That is indeed the case. The only downside to that though is that not all bridges are exactly the same, but all road surfaces are drawn using the same generic sprites, so you lose some fine control over the details, leading to overlapping pixels and/or abrupt transitions in some places (the same can be seen in tracktypes). It's a relatively minor issue though, and with some work can be mostly overcome.
Kalen wrote:Also: I did the unthinkable and built and even used tunnels and nothing out of the ordinary happened... should something have happened? :P
Nothing should "happen" per se, just that the roads will overlap the tunnels and look ugly. I think it only affects the two later roadtypes. There seems to be a lack of custom tunnel sprite support at the moment, so just ignore it if you see it :)
einsteinyh wrote:also would be great having a pre-1920 stone paved road in towns apart from dirt rural roads
That is one of the types I am considering adding in addition to dirt, just need to draw some sprites. My other serious consideration was some kind of haul road, a very rough/large gravel road or something. But that depends on whether I can make an interestingly unique set of sprites to differentiate it from "normal" dirt roads, so we'll see. :)
Kalen
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Kalen »

Oh, right, I see the overlap now. It was so subtle I hadn't even noticed it until you pointed it out to me. :)

On a different note, I was worried about what might happen when using multiple NRT sets or when using TTRS (which has its own roads), but it seems NewGRF loading order handles these neatly. The last loaded set defines the default roadtype, which is good. Amusingly, if you load TTRS after NRT sets and have its roads turned on, the TTRS road sprite is drawn first, then the default roadtype sprite is overlaid on it, leading to a pixel eclipse, if that makes sense.
KeldorKatarn
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by KeldorKatarn »

Could you add an ISR-style industrial road? Should behave like a standard city type road just look like the ones from ISR with the rest of the tile filled with the ISR style tile. That way one could finally build industrial areas and really have trucks drive in there instead of just faking it badly with overlay tiles and stuff like that.
supermop
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by supermop »

KeldorKatarn wrote:Could you add an ISR-style industrial road? Should behave like a standard city type road just look like the ones from ISR with the rest of the tile filled with the ISR style tile. That way one could finally build industrial areas and really have trucks drive in there instead of just faking it badly with overlay tiles and stuff like that.

The first roadtype set released is exactly that: viewtopic.php?f=67&t=75941

I Included both Chips and ISR style roads and tramways.
alluke
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by alluke »

Could you add parameter for European/adjustable speed limits, e.g. 60/80/100 kmh/h? :)
Andrew350
Chairman
Chairman

Post by Andrew350 »

I was already planning on adding a "hard" setting with lower speeds and increased costs, so I suppose I could consider custom speed limits. Just depends how much work is involved.

Really though someone should just make an updated European road set. :wink:
Diesel Power
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Diesel Power »

Hey guys, i'm having trouble getting this grf set up. I've updated Openttd to the version needed to this grf, downloaded the .zip file from this page, converted it into a .tar file and placed it into my newgrf folder with the rest of them but it's not showing up in the grf settings menu. any ideas?
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

Diesel Power wrote:Hey guys, i'm having trouble getting this grf set up. I've updated Openttd to the version needed to this grf, downloaded the .zip file from this page, converted it into a .tar file and placed it into my newgrf folder with the rest of them but it's not showing up in the grf settings menu. any ideas?
Did you unpack the zip file and repackage it as a tar file?
wallyweb
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by wallyweb »

Diesel Power wrote:I've updated Openttd to the version needed to this grf,
The [NRT] in the topic title means that you need to install the Not Road Type fork.
Vanilla OTTD will not work.
Diesel Power
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Diesel Power »

The Openttd version I'm running is "Open TTD g8c7bd1b2-road-and-tram-types", and yes I unpacked it and re-packed it as a .tar and placed it in the GRF folder with all the other GRFs
Andrew350
Chairman
Chairman

Post by Andrew350 »

You shouldn't really use the zip file if you're just trying to play it - that's for the source material. Just download the grf file and place it as it is in the newgrf folder.

There's usually no need to convert anything :)
Diesel Power
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Diesel Power »

Thanks guys. Now sorted. Me being thick! Now time for testing...
Pascal Lambert
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Pascal Lambert »

Andrew350 wrote:Welcome to the development topic for my version of an NRT roadset. :)

rattroads_0.1.0_source.zip
Many thanks to you for this magnificent work !

Please find hereafter a proposal translation so french can enjoy this GRF
Attachments
french.lng
(1.92 KiB) Downloaded 330 times
acs121
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by acs121 »

Pascal Lambert wrote:
Andrew350 wrote:Welcome to the development topic for my version of an NRT roadset. :)

Bonjour Lambert,

The translation for "freeway" is somewhat wrong. It's not "route illimitée", which would then not make any sense in english (unlimited roads), but the closest is "autoroute". However, there's not multiple lanes on this road, sadly.
wallyweb
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by wallyweb »

acs121 wrote:
Pascal Lambert wrote:

Bonjour Lambert,

The translation for "freeway" is somewhat wrong. It's not "route illimitée", which would then not make any sense in english (unlimited roads), but the closest is "autoroute". However, there's not multiple lanes on this road, sadly.
"Highway" is probably the most generic as it can be two lane or multi-lane.
"Freeway" is a highway that has no tolls (It is free :D ) (Route sans péages?). The usual configuration is multi-lane but OTTD does not support multi-lane. A player must build two or more two lane roads in parallel while using the one-way feature to control direction. Road stops can be used to mimic toll booths.

Return to “Graphics Development”