Transport Tycoon Forums

The place to talk about Transport Tycoon
It is currently Mon Aug 20, 2018 12:44 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 7:42 am 
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Welcome to the development topic for my version of an NRT roadset. :)

Attachment:
Chindham Transport, Sep 22nd, 1990.png
Chindham Transport, Sep 22nd, 1990.png [ 68.56 KiB | Viewed 3880 times ]

(note: dirt, sett, and european roads not pictured!)

RattRoads is essentially the successor to ARRS, featuring revamped sprites and (currently) 5 additional roadtypes to take advantage of some of NRT's features. All six road types are compatible to each other and the default ROAD type so any vehicles can drive on them.

Basic Asphalt Road [ROAD] - Introduced in 1920, this is the roadtype towns will build by default. Nothing more than a strip of pavement, it is cheap and only has a speed limit of 40mph. Note that because this roadtype is the default, it will always be available, even before 1920.

Improved Asphalt Road [ASP1] - Boasting improved safety features, such as a yellow line painted on the surface, this roadtype is introduced in 1940 and has a speed limit of 55mph

Modern Asphalt Road [ASP2] - This roadtype is introduced in 1970 and includes paved shoulders and fog lines, allowing a higher speed limit of 85mph.

Highway [HWAY] - Introduced in 1955, the Highway roadtype has no speed limit, but is very expensive. Eventually I will include a set of objects to augment highways similar to the way I tried to in ARRS Objects, but they are not included yet. As of 0.2.0, houses will no longer try to build along highways!

Dirt Road [DIRT] - Everyone's favorite bumpy, dusty, dirt roads make a return for RattRoads featuring a shiny dirty new look. These roads are available from year 0 and due to being even less safe than their paved cousins only have a speed limit of 25mph.

Sett Paved Road [SETT] - New in 0.3.0! Also available from year 0, these roads offer a paved alternative to the muddy, bumpy roads of the old days. Made with sett stones, they offer only a slight increase in speed to 30mph, but they look especially appropriate inside old towns.

What's that? You don't want any speed limits? You want them slower? You want to build Highways in 1700? Perfect, because since version 0.2.0, RattRoads now has parameters to allow you to configure all of those things as you please! And as a bonus for our European friends, there's now also a Euro/UK road surface alternative which can be activated by parameter (default is still American style), as well as an available French translation!

---------

Please mind that this roadset is not 100% complete, especially due to the ongoing development of NotRoadTypes itself. *cough*don't build tunnels*cough* :wink: As new features are added the set will need to be updated too, and there are a few things I still need to polish, but otherwise it's functional and is a good representation of what the set will be. :) Similar to ARRS, RattRoads is made to work with OpenGFX, including full support for OpenGFX+ Landscape. Let me know of any problems with the set, and if you encounter any crashes or similar please let the NRT guys know so it can get fixed.

Remember, the more you play with NRT and find bugs the better odds of getting this in trunk ;)

Naturally this NewGRF requires the RATT fork of OpenTTD, and is released under GPL v2 license. Huge thanks to the team behind NRT and OpenTTD itself for making this possible! :)

Enjoy!

Attachments:
rattroads.tar [583 KiB]
Downloaded 36 times
rattroads_0.3.0_source.zip [445.51 KiB]
Downloaded 15 times

Last edited by Andrew350 on Sun Jul 22, 2018 5:10 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject: Re: [NRT] RATT Roads
PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 11:49 am 
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

I finally got around to testing the RATT build and I must say I am impressed! One of the things I love the most about this is how it appears that with NRT we will no longer have to worry about road set compatibility for old sets like TBRS, much like how it is for tracktypes currently.

Also: I did the unthinkable and built and even used tunnels and nothing out of the ordinary happened... should something have happened? :P

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 1:43 pm 
Tycoon
Tycoon

Very happy to see this development!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 4:11 pm 
Tycoon
Tycoon

One road type is missing ... The very rural gravel/mud/dirt road we all love to use in order to smash our suspensions while on our way to fishing and hunting camps and forestry and mining operations. 8) They could also be used for those unavoidable "Road Under Construction" zones that make us late for appointments and where we get ticketed and fined for not slowing down. :P

Ooops :oops: I just noticed they are on your to-do list.

Screenshot Of The Month Contest Winner: August 2015 - Tied May 2016 - January 2018

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 6:08 pm 
Engineer
Engineer

also would be great having a pre-1920 stone paved road in towns apart from dirt rural roads

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 1:30 am 
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Kalen wrote:
I finally got around to testing the RATT build and I must say I am impressed! One of the things I love the most about this is how it appears that with NRT we will no longer have to worry about road set compatibility for old sets like TBRS, much like how it is for tracktypes currently.

That is indeed the case. The only downside to that though is that not all bridges are exactly the same, but all road surfaces are drawn using the same generic sprites, so you lose some fine control over the details, leading to overlapping pixels and/or abrupt transitions in some places (the same can be seen in tracktypes). It's a relatively minor issue though, and with some work can be mostly overcome.

Kalen wrote:
Also: I did the unthinkable and built and even used tunnels and nothing out of the ordinary happened... should something have happened? :P

Nothing should "happen" per se, just that the roads will overlap the tunnels and look ugly. I think it only affects the two later roadtypes. There seems to be a lack of custom tunnel sprite support at the moment, so just ignore it if you see it :)

einsteinyh wrote:
also would be great having a pre-1920 stone paved road in towns apart from dirt rural roads

That is one of the types I am considering adding in addition to dirt, just need to draw some sprites. My other serious consideration was some kind of haul road, a very rough/large gravel road or something. But that depends on whether I can make an interestingly unique set of sprites to differentiate it from "normal" dirt roads, so we'll see. :)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 8:16 am 
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Oh, right, I see the overlap now. It was so subtle I hadn't even noticed it until you pointed it out to me. :)

On a different note, I was worried about what might happen when using multiple NRT sets or when using TTRS (which has its own roads), but it seems NewGRF loading order handles these neatly. The last loaded set defines the default roadtype, which is good. Amusingly, if you load TTRS after NRT sets and have its roads turned on, the TTRS road sprite is drawn first, then the default roadtype sprite is overlaid on it, leading to a pixel eclipse, if that makes sense.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 9:15 pm 
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Could you add an ISR-style industrial road? Should behave like a standard city type road just look like the ones from ISR with the rest of the tile filled with the ISR style tile. That way one could finally build industrial areas and really have trucks drive in there instead of just faking it badly with overlay tiles and stuff like that.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 9:33 pm 
Tycoon
Tycoon

KeldorKatarn wrote:
Could you add an ISR-style industrial road? Should behave like a standard city type road just look like the ones from ISR with the rest of the tile filled with the ISR style tile. That way one could finally build industrial areas and really have trucks drive in there instead of just faking it badly with overlay tiles and stuff like that.

The first roadtype set released is exactly that: viewtopic.php?f=67&t=75941

I Included both Chips and ISR style roads and tramways.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 10:40 pm 
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Could you add parameter for European/adjustable speed limits, e.g. 60/80/100 kmh/h? :)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 5:28 am 
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

I was already planning on adding a "hard" setting with lower speeds and increased costs, so I suppose I could consider custom speed limits. Just depends how much work is involved.

Really though someone should just make an updated European road set. :wink:

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 8:20 pm 
Engineer
Engineer

Hey guys, i'm having trouble getting this grf set up. I've updated Openttd to the version needed to this grf, downloaded the .zip file from this page, converted it into a .tar file and placed it into my newgrf folder with the rest of them but it's not showing up in the grf settings menu. any ideas?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 12:25 am 
Tycoon
Tycoon

Diesel Power wrote:
Hey guys, i'm having trouble getting this grf set up. I've updated Openttd to the version needed to this grf, downloaded the .zip file from this page, converted it into a .tar file and placed it into my newgrf folder with the rest of them but it's not showing up in the grf settings menu. any ideas?

Did you unpack the zip file and repackage it as a tar file?

Base Music Sets: OpenMSX | Scott Joplin Anthology | Traditional Winter Holiday Music | Modern Motion Music
Other Projects: 2CC Trams | Modern Waypoints | Sprite Sandbox & NewGRF Releases | Ideabox | Town Names | Isle of Sodor Scenario | Random Sprite Repository
Misc Topics: My Screenshots | Forgotten NewGRFs | Unfinished Graphics Sets | Stats Shack | RoadTypes?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 11:45 am 
Tycoon
Tycoon

Diesel Power wrote:
I've updated Openttd to the version needed to this grf,
The [NRT] in the topic title means that you need to install the Not Road Type fork.
Vanilla OTTD will not work.

Screenshot Of The Month Contest Winner: August 2015 - Tied May 2016 - January 2018

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 8:32 pm 
Engineer
Engineer

The Openttd version I'm running is "Open TTD g8c7bd1b2-road-and-tram-types", and yes I unpacked it and re-packed it as a .tar and placed it in the GRF folder with all the other GRFs

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 1:50 pm 
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

You shouldn't really use the zip file if you're just trying to play it - that's for the source material. Just download the grf file and place it as it is in the newgrf folder.

There's usually no need to convert anything :)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 9:15 pm 
Engineer
Engineer

Thanks guys. Now sorted. Me being thick! Now time for testing...

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2018 8:17 pm 
Engineer
Engineer

Andrew350 wrote:

rattroads_0.1.0_source.zip

Many thanks to you for this magnificent work !

Please find hereafter a proposal translation so french can enjoy this GRF

Attachments:
french.lng [1.92 KiB]
Downloaded 31 times

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2018 9:01 pm 
Tycoon
Tycoon

Pascal Lambert wrote:
Andrew350 wrote:

Bonjour Lambert,

The translation for "freeway" is somewhat wrong. It's not "route illimitée", which would then not make any sense in english (unlimited roads), but the closest is "autoroute". However, there's not multiple lanes on this road, sadly.

My screenshots

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2018 9:26 pm 
Tycoon
Tycoon

acs121 wrote:
Pascal Lambert wrote:
Andrew350 wrote:

Bonjour Lambert,

The translation for "freeway" is somewhat wrong. It's not "route illimitée", which would then not make any sense in english (unlimited roads), but the closest is "autoroute". However, there's not multiple lanes on this road, sadly.
"Highway" is probably the most generic as it can be two lane or multi-lane.
"Freeway" is a highway that has no tolls (It is free :D ) (Route sans péages?). The usual configuration is multi-lane but OTTD does not support multi-lane. A player must build two or more two lane roads in parallel while using the one-way feature to control direction. Road stops can be used to mimic toll booths.