Transport Tycoon Forums

The place to talk about Transport Tycoon
It is currently Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:27 am

All times are UTC




Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 1305 posts ]  Go to page 1 2 3 4 566 Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 8:28 pm 
Offline
Tycoon
Tycoon
User avatar

Joined: Thu Mar 19, 2009 7:25 pm
Posts: 2544
Location: Kent
Attachment:
The attachment BRTrains Banner.png is no longer available


Welcome to BRTrains in NML.

BRTrains is a set with only real-life liveries, (no Company Colours, sorry), spanning all eras of the British Railway history.

Graphics are drawn by Various Artists. All coding by Leanden and Gwyd.

Attachment:
BRTrains Banner.png
BRTrains Banner.png [ 126.29 KiB | Viewed 11162 times ]


Please feel free to ask any questions, report any bugs or submit graphics (as long as they are in the same scale, approx. 1.4 ft per pixel length in horizontal view).

Progress can also be tracked at http://dev.openttdcoop.org/projects/brtrains

Contributor Information

Contributions are more than welcome but i don't want to waste your time by redoing sprites that are already done, so please refer to the attached tracking sheet, (liveries to be updated on the table):

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... zXi1YENuts

Also please refer to this ZIP file that contains sprites currently available to BROS:

http://dev.openttdcoop.org/attachments/ ... sprites.7z

_________________
Image


Last edited by Leanden on Mon Dec 04, 2017 1:19 am, edited 26 times in total.

Top
   
PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 9:15 pm 
Offline
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Joined: Fri Apr 13, 2007 7:52 pm
Posts: 397
Location: Den Haag, The Netherlands
this is great news, looking forward to seeing this come to fruition. good luck

_________________
All my projects are GPLv2 License.

Dutch landmark Object Set Workshop viewtopic.php?f=26&t=75071
My stations workshop viewtopic.php?f=26&t=74749


Top
   
PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 9:20 pm 
Offline
Tycoon
Tycoon
User avatar

Joined: Fri Oct 17, 2008 12:17 pm
Posts: 2209
Location: Virgo Supercluster
Always good to see more train sets. Have fun :)


Top
   
PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 9:40 pm 
Offline
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Joined: Thu Jun 30, 2011 7:45 pm
Posts: 145
Location: North Staffordshire
I thought the previous projects were dead and buried and I am pleased that a similar project is happening.

I follow this with great interest and I hope something does out at the end and good look.

I mentioned something previously and I hope this suggestion is explored which is Pullman services and the electric Brighton Belle train and the Blue Pullman train


Top
   
PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 9:06 am 
Offline
Engineer
Engineer

Joined: Mon May 22, 2006 6:25 pm
Posts: 32
Location: London-ish.
Fantastic news! Look forward to seeing the first release.


Top
   
PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 3:01 pm 
Offline
Tycoon
Tycoon
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 16, 2007 11:08 am
Posts: 1022
Location: Perth, Western Australia
Interesting news, rather surprised to see such development.

_________________
Image


Top
   
PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 3:13 pm 
Offline
Tycoon
Tycoon
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jan 22, 2005 7:31 pm
Posts: 6098
Location: Wakefield, West Yorkshire
Nice to see. Hope there's a wide range of rolling stock from past to present!

_________________
Image
Worst Behaved IRC Member of 2008, 2009 & 2010 - Go Me!


Top
   
PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 8:58 pm 
Offline
Tycoon
Tycoon
User avatar

Joined: Thu Mar 19, 2009 7:25 pm
Posts: 2544
Location: Kent
My biggest obstacle atm is recompiling the stats for the various trains as the tracking table is no longer available.

Also im a very poor pixel artist, so im largely relying on graphics supplied and produced by other members that i can recolour and adapt.

I have a huge list of rolling stock from over the years so Im trying to narrow that down for now, aligning as closely as possible to graphics already available.

Im also wondering whether to have trains only available at around the time they were constructed, while obviously having their life until the withdrawal period.

(This would be approx 5 years model life for construction and 40 years of vehicle life in most cases)

_________________
Image


Top
   
PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 3:57 pm 
Offline
Engineer
Engineer

Joined: Mon May 22, 2006 6:25 pm
Posts: 32
Location: London-ish.
That sounds like an interesting approach to handle the common problem with encyclopaedic vehicle sets where at any one time you have 20-30 different models available, but usually one clear winner for each of passenger, express passenger, express freight and heavy freight which gets used almost exclusively.

The downside is it becomes a bit of a pain to clone vehicles on existing routes, but then that's nothing which doesn't exist in the real world. (A good example being South West Trains cascading Southern's old 455 and 456 stock to extend their suburban fleet).

I think a good gameplay vs. realism compromise would be to mostly follow the real life production dates, but extend them in places so players always have a decent locomotive to choose from in each of the high speed, high power, high TE or low running cost categories. And maybe some of the things which ended up just about everywhere (like the 4-CIG/VEP/etc. family) might stick around a few years longer than their real-life production run to simulate the sheer numbers that were originally produced.

It'd certainly make a change from some of the games I've played where I ended up using nothing but Moguls for a 40-year period because they're too good a compromise and having such a homogeneous fleet makes replacement and management much easier.


Top
   
PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 10:10 pm 
Offline
Tycoon
Tycoon
User avatar

Joined: Thu Mar 19, 2009 7:25 pm
Posts: 2544
Location: Kent
Timberwolf wrote:
That sounds like an interesting approach to handle the common problem with encyclopaedic vehicle sets where at any one time you have 20-30 different models available, but usually one clear winner for each of passenger, express passenger, express freight and heavy freight which gets used almost exclusively.

The downside is it becomes a bit of a pain to clone vehicles on existing routes, but then that's nothing which doesn't exist in the real world. (A good example being South West Trains cascading Southern's old 455 and 456 stock to extend their suburban fleet).

I think a good gameplay vs. realism compromise would be to mostly follow the real life production dates, but extend them in places so players always have a decent locomotive to choose from in each of the high speed, high power, high TE or low running cost categories. And maybe some of the things which ended up just about everywhere (like the 4-CIG/VEP/etc. family) might stick around a few years longer than their real-life production run to simulate the sheer numbers that were originally produced.

It'd certainly make a change from some of the games I've played where I ended up using nothing but Moguls for a 40-year period because they're too good a compromise and having such a homogeneous fleet makes replacement and management much easier.


Thanks, it was the only way i could think of to eventually include so many different trains without having a massively busy purchase list.

For the most part you should never be short of a decent train, but it will encourage buying trains in batches and having a large variety of trains over time. (You can of course always enable vehicles never expire for the full list)

_________________
Image


Top
   
PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 3:49 pm 
Offline
Tycoon
Tycoon
User avatar

Joined: Sun Feb 08, 2009 6:36 pm
Posts: 2372
Location: Alberta, Canada
Good luck Leanden!

_________________
Image
Total Alpine Replacement Set: Industry, Town, Objects
**ATTENTION**: If anyone would like me to help draw snow stages in any of their GRFs let me know. I genuinely enjoy drawing them.


Top
   
PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 9:15 pm 
Offline
Tycoon
Tycoon
User avatar

Joined: Thu Mar 19, 2009 7:25 pm
Posts: 2544
Location: Kent
SwissFan91 wrote:
Good luck Leanden!


Thanks SwissFan91.

Just to check if i could actually make it work at all, i have managed to code the BR08 Shunter with 8 liveries. Its all up from here :)

Oh and contrary to my first post i wrote a load of code without testing and it just flat out failed to compile :P

See first post for Shunter release.

_________________
Image


Top
   
PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 10:14 pm 
Offline
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Joined: Thu Jun 30, 2011 7:45 pm
Posts: 145
Location: North Staffordshire
I was referring to BR Class 403 5-BEL (Brighton Belle) and BR Class 251 and 261 (Blue Pullman) in my previous comment

Anyway keep up the good work


Top
   
PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 10:42 pm 
Offline
Tycoon
Tycoon
User avatar

Joined: Thu Mar 19, 2009 7:25 pm
Posts: 2544
Location: Kent
Morgs wrote:
I was referring to BR Class 403 5-BEL (Brighton Belle) and BR Class 251 and 261 (Blue Pullman) in my previous comment

Anyway keep up the good work


By all means, i'll see what I can do.

British Rail Class 13 (Aritculated Shunter) is now coded too. GRF in first post is updated.

_________________
Image


Top
   
PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 11:45 pm 
Offline
Engineer
Engineer
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 01, 2015 3:03 pm
Posts: 63
Leanden wrote:
Welcome to BRTrains in NML.

BRTrains is a set with only real-life liveries, (no Company Colours, sorry), spanning all eras of the British Railway history.

Graphics are drawn from UKRS (with Pikkabird's Permission) and BROS. All coding by Leanden.

v0.0.1 - BR Class 08 'Shunter' in all liveries.

Image

Please feel free to ask any questions, report any bugs or submit graphics (as long as they are in the same scale, approx. 1.4 ft per pixel length in horizontal view).

Is this set coded with .pnml, or is it coded the regular way with a 500 line .nml file?


Top
   
PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 7:13 am 
Offline
Tycoon
Tycoon
User avatar

Joined: Thu Mar 19, 2009 7:25 pm
Posts: 2544
Location: Kent
TrainLover wrote:
Leanden wrote:
Welcome to BRTrains in NML.

BRTrains is a set with only real-life liveries, (no Company Colours, sorry), spanning all eras of the British Railway history.

Graphics are drawn from UKRS (with Pikkabird's Permission) and BROS. All coding by Leanden.

v0.0.1 - BR Class 08 'Shunter' in all liveries.

Image

Please feel free to ask any questions, report any bugs or submit graphics (as long as they are in the same scale, approx. 1.4 ft per pixel length in horizontal view).

Is this set coded with .pnml, or is it coded the regular way with a 500 line .nml file?


The regular nml way. I can split it down into pnml at some point, but while i was compiling it myself with nmlc, i wanted to skip the extra step of running gcc to combine the pnml files into an nml before running nmlc.

Although on second thoughts i guess thats the point of the makefile ;)

_________________
Image


Top
   
PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 10:20 am 
Offline
Tycoon
Tycoon

Joined: Tue Feb 22, 2011 6:34 pm
Posts: 2597
Leanden wrote:
The regular nml way. I can split it down into pnml at some point, but while i was compiling it myself with nmlc, i wanted to skip the extra step of running gcc to combine the pnml files into an nml before running nmlc.

Although on second thoughts i guess thats the point of the makefile ;)

You have to set it up at some point, so I would suggest to do it now so that you do not have to copy a lot of code to other files later on.

_________________
Coder of the Dutch Trackset | Development support for the Dutch Trainset | Coder of the 2cc TrainsInNML


Top
   
PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 11:21 am 
Offline
Tycoon
Tycoon
User avatar

Joined: Thu Mar 19, 2009 7:25 pm
Posts: 2544
Location: Kent
Transportman wrote:
Leanden wrote:
The regular nml way. I can split it down into pnml at some point, but while i was compiling it myself with nmlc, i wanted to skip the extra step of running gcc to combine the pnml files into an nml before running nmlc.

Although on second thoughts i guess thats the point of the makefile ;)

You have to set it up at some point, so I would suggest to do it now so that you do not have to copy a lot of code to other files later on.


Indeed, I've already begun separating the code into sections with commented headers to ease the transition into pnml.

_________________
Image


Top
   
PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 10:26 am 
Offline
Tycoon
Tycoon
User avatar

Joined: Thu Mar 19, 2009 7:25 pm
Posts: 2544
Location: Kent
So i've now coded the Great Northern A1, (which presented some challenges when combining two articulated vehicles into a consist), but it now works properly with some help from Andythenorth.

Image


Attachments:
LNERA1 Double Headed.png [29.86 KiB]
Not downloaded yet

_________________
Image
Top
   
PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 3:44 pm 
Offline
Tycoon
Tycoon
User avatar

Joined: Sun Feb 08, 2009 6:36 pm
Posts: 2372
Location: Alberta, Canada
Nice work!

Let me know if you need any help with recolouring for liveries. That's about all I can do with drawing unless it's a Swiss building! I sent you the Class 43 HST with the liveries that I did a while ago right?

_________________
Image
Total Alpine Replacement Set: Industry, Town, Objects
**ATTENTION**: If anyone would like me to help draw snow stages in any of their GRFs let me know. I genuinely enjoy drawing them.


Top
   
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 1305 posts ]  Go to page 1 2 3 4 566 Next

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Yahoo [Bot] and 6 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000-2017 phpBB Limited

Copyright © Owen Rudge/The Transport Tycoon Forums 2001-2017.
Hosted by Zernebok Hosting.