[OTTD] BRTrains - Development Thread

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

Leanden
Tycoon
Tycoon

[OTTD] BRTrains - Development Thread

Post by Leanden »

The attachment BRTrains Banner.png is no longer available
Welcome to BRTrains in NML.

BRTrains is a set with only real-life liveries, (no Company Colours, sorry), spanning all eras of the British Railway history.

Graphics are drawn by Various Artists. All coding by Leanden and Gwyd.

Please feel free to ask any questions, report any bugs or submit graphics (as long as they are in the same scale, approx. 1.4 ft per pixel length in horizontal view).

Progress can also be tracked at http://dev.openttdcoop.org/projects/brtrains

Contributor Information

Contributions are more than welcome but i don't want to waste your time by redoing sprites that are already done, so please refer to the attached tracking sheet, (liveries to be updated on the table):

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... zXi1YENuts

Also please refer to this ZIP file that contains sprites currently available to BROS:

http://dev.openttdcoop.org/attachments/ ... sprites.7z
Attachments
BRTrains Banner.png
BRTrains Banner.png (126.29 KiB) Viewed 34614 times
Last edited by Leanden on 22 Dec 2017 15:09, edited 27 times in total.
Silverx50
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Re: [OTTD] BRTrains - A British Railways Set in NML

Post by Silverx50 »

this is great news, looking forward to seeing this come to fruition. good luck
All my projects are GPLv2 License.

Dutch landmark Object Set Workshop viewtopic.php?f=26&t=75071
My stations workshop viewtopic.php?f=26&t=74749
Pyoro
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Pyoro »

Always good to see more train sets. Have fun :)
Morgs
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Morgs »

I thought the previous projects were dead and buried and I am pleased that a similar project is happening.

I follow this with great interest and I hope something does out at the end and good look.

I mentioned something previously and I hope this suggestion is explored which is Pullman services and the electric Brighton Belle train and the Blue Pullman train
Timberwolf
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Timberwolf »

Fantastic news! Look forward to seeing the first release.
Doorslammer
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Doorslammer »

Interesting news, rather surprised to see such development.
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

Nice to see. Hope there's a wide range of rolling stock from past to present!
Need some good tested AI? - Unofficial AI Tester, list of good stuff & thread is here.
Leanden
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Leanden »

My biggest obstacle atm is recompiling the stats for the various trains as the tracking table is no longer available.

Also im a very poor pixel artist, so im largely relying on graphics supplied and produced by other members that i can recolour and adapt.

I have a huge list of rolling stock from over the years so Im trying to narrow that down for now, aligning as closely as possible to graphics already available.

Im also wondering whether to have trains only available at around the time they were constructed, while obviously having their life until the withdrawal period.

(This would be approx 5 years model life for construction and 40 years of vehicle life in most cases)
Timberwolf
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Timberwolf »

That sounds like an interesting approach to handle the common problem with encyclopaedic vehicle sets where at any one time you have 20-30 different models available, but usually one clear winner for each of passenger, express passenger, express freight and heavy freight which gets used almost exclusively.

The downside is it becomes a bit of a pain to clone vehicles on existing routes, but then that's nothing which doesn't exist in the real world. (A good example being South West Trains cascading Southern's old 455 and 456 stock to extend their suburban fleet).

I think a good gameplay vs. realism compromise would be to mostly follow the real life production dates, but extend them in places so players always have a decent locomotive to choose from in each of the high speed, high power, high TE or low running cost categories. And maybe some of the things which ended up just about everywhere (like the 4-CIG/VEP/etc. family) might stick around a few years longer than their real-life production run to simulate the sheer numbers that were originally produced.

It'd certainly make a change from some of the games I've played where I ended up using nothing but Moguls for a 40-year period because they're too good a compromise and having such a homogeneous fleet makes replacement and management much easier.
Leanden
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Leanden »

Timberwolf wrote:That sounds like an interesting approach to handle the common problem with encyclopaedic vehicle sets where at any one time you have 20-30 different models available, but usually one clear winner for each of passenger, express passenger, express freight and heavy freight which gets used almost exclusively.

The downside is it becomes a bit of a pain to clone vehicles on existing routes, but then that's nothing which doesn't exist in the real world. (A good example being South West Trains cascading Southern's old 455 and 456 stock to extend their suburban fleet).

I think a good gameplay vs. realism compromise would be to mostly follow the real life production dates, but extend them in places so players always have a decent locomotive to choose from in each of the high speed, high power, high TE or low running cost categories. And maybe some of the things which ended up just about everywhere (like the 4-CIG/VEP/etc. family) might stick around a few years longer than their real-life production run to simulate the sheer numbers that were originally produced.

It'd certainly make a change from some of the games I've played where I ended up using nothing but Moguls for a 40-year period because they're too good a compromise and having such a homogeneous fleet makes replacement and management much easier.
Thanks, it was the only way i could think of to eventually include so many different trains without having a massively busy purchase list.

For the most part you should never be short of a decent train, but it will encourage buying trains in batches and having a large variety of trains over time. (You can of course always enable vehicles never expire for the full list)
SwissFan91
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by SwissFan91 »

Good luck Leanden!
Total Alpine Replacement Set: Industry, Town, Objects
Leanden
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Leanden »

SwissFan91 wrote:Good luck Leanden!
Thanks SwissFan91.

Just to check if i could actually make it work at all, i have managed to code the BR08 Shunter with 8 liveries. Its all up from here :)

Oh and contrary to my first post i wrote a load of code without testing and it just flat out failed to compile :P

See first post for Shunter release.
Morgs
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Morgs »

I was referring to BR Class 403 5-BEL (Brighton Belle) and BR Class 251 and 261 (Blue Pullman) in my previous comment

Anyway keep up the good work
Leanden
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Leanden »

Morgs wrote:I was referring to BR Class 403 5-BEL (Brighton Belle) and BR Class 251 and 261 (Blue Pullman) in my previous comment

Anyway keep up the good work
By all means, i'll see what I can do.

British Rail Class 13 (Aritculated Shunter) is now coded too. GRF in first post is updated.
TrainLover
Engineer
Engineer

Post by TrainLover »

Leanden wrote:Welcome to BRTrains in NML.

BRTrains is a set with only real-life liveries, (no Company Colours, sorry), spanning all eras of the British Railway history.

Graphics are drawn from UKRS (with Pikkabird's Permission) and BROS. All coding by Leanden.

v0.0.1 - BR Class 08 'Shunter' in all liveries.

Please feel free to ask any questions, report any bugs or submit graphics (as long as they are in the same scale, approx. 1.4 ft per pixel length in horizontal view).
Is this set coded with .pnml, or is it coded the regular way with a 500 line .nml file?
Developer of North American Passenger Liveries: viewtopic.php?f=26&t=87228
Leanden
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Leanden »

TrainLover wrote:
Leanden wrote:Welcome to BRTrains in NML.

Graphics are drawn from UKRS (with Pikkabird's Permission) and BROS. All coding by Leanden.

v0.0.1 - BR Class 08 'Shunter' in all liveries.

Is this set coded with .pnml, or is it coded the regular way with a 500 line .nml file?
The regular nml way. I can split it down into pnml at some point, but while i was compiling it myself with nmlc, i wanted to skip the extra step of running gcc to combine the pnml files into an nml before running nmlc.

Although on second thoughts i guess thats the point of the makefile ;)
Transportman
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Transportman »

Leanden wrote:The regular nml way. I can split it down into pnml at some point, but while i was compiling it myself with nmlc, i wanted to skip the extra step of running gcc to combine the pnml files into an nml before running nmlc.

You have to set it up at some point, so I would suggest to do it now so that you do not have to copy a lot of code to other files later on.
Coder of the Dutch Trackset | Development support for the Dutch Trainset | Coder of the 2cc TrainsInNML
Leanden
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Leanden »

Transportman wrote:
Leanden wrote:The regular nml way. I can split it down into pnml at some point, but while i was compiling it myself with nmlc, i wanted to skip the extra step of running gcc to combine the pnml files into an nml before running nmlc.

You have to set it up at some point, so I would suggest to do it now so that you do not have to copy a lot of code to other files later on.
Indeed, I've already begun separating the code into sections with commented headers to ease the transition into pnml.
Leanden
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Leanden »

So i've now coded the Great Northern A1, (which presented some challenges when combining two articulated vehicles into a consist), but it now works properly with some help from Andythenorth.

Attachments
LNERA1 Double Headed.png
LNERA1 Double Headed.png (29.86 KiB) Viewed 4384 times
SwissFan91
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by SwissFan91 »

Nice work!

Let me know if you need any help with recolouring for liveries. That's about all I can do with drawing unless it's a Swiss building! I sent you the Class 43 HST with the liveries that I did a while ago right?
Total Alpine Replacement Set: Industry, Town, Objects

Return to “Graphics Development”