2CC Ship Set (Former North American Ship Set) - *Relaunched*

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: 2CC Ship Set (Former North American Ship Set) - *Relaunched*

Post by Purno »

buttercup wrote:I have started coding so there might be a test grf later this evening (if you're lucky).
Nice. That means you agree on the license as published at the website?
Since there are so many different cargoes for each ship (so far), shall I separate them into different ships depending on cargo class (bulk, liquid, piece goods etc)?
That'd be necessary for ECS support, AFAIK.
(it has occurred to me (perhaps too late) that I may have taken on more than I can manage. If this turns out to be the case, it looks like there are plenty of other people with more experience willing to code the set (and they'll probably do a better job of it)). I shall do my best for now though.
Coders are pretty rare, especially those with enough time. Btw, please do not use small text sizes. I had to quote you to be able to read it.

---

Another question to the team: Do we want to publically release any development and test versions of the GRF, or do we keep things private till it reaches an releasable status to our opinions?
Contributor to the The 2cc Set and Dutch Trainset. Inventor of the Metro concept. Retired Graphics Artist.
Image Image
Download TT | Latest TTDPatch | OpenTTD | OpenTTDCoop | BaNaNaS: OpenTTD content system | 2048² OTTD scenario of the Netherlands
GRF Codec | GRF Crawler | GRF Maker | Usefull graphics & tools sites | NML Documentation Wiki | NFO Documentation Wiki
All my graphics are licensed under GPL. "Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else."
lead@inbox
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by lead@inbox »

Purno wrote:Another question to the team...
My principe - the maximum openness and accessibility so i'd like to see all available grf and png 8)
Last edited by lead@inbox on 18 Aug 2008 09:20, edited 1 time in total.
Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Purno »

Releasing any GRF we make is fine with me, as long as the version number is kept up to date!
Contributor to the The 2cc Set and Dutch Trainset. Inventor of the Metro concept. Retired Graphics Artist.
Image Image
Download TT | Latest TTDPatch | OpenTTD | OpenTTDCoop | BaNaNaS: OpenTTD content system | 2048² OTTD scenario of the Netherlands
GRF Codec | GRF Crawler | GRF Maker | Usefull graphics & tools sites | NML Documentation Wiki | NFO Documentation Wiki
All my graphics are licensed under GPL. "Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else."
ostlandr
Chairman
Chairman

Post by ostlandr »

Awesome work, everybody! :D

Just remember, though, folks, with those iron boats- the gales of November come early.

"With a load of iron ore, twenty-six thousand tons more than the Edmund Fitzgerald weighed empty."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SS_Edmund_Fitzgerald
Who is John Galt?
athanasios
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by athanasios »

Wouldn't it be wise to keep all ships in a single grf? OTTD has a limit of how many grfs can be loaded.
http://members.fortunecity.com/gamesart
"If no one is a fool I am also a fool." -The TTD maniac.

I prefer to be contacted through PMs. Thanks.
lead@inbox
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by lead@inbox »

i'd like to publish it (made by buttercap :wink: )
2ccshipsw [ver 0.1]
2ccshipsw.zip
(10.8 KiB) Downloaded 191 times
Last edited by lead@inbox on 16 Aug 2008 03:20, edited 1 time in total.
buttercup
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by buttercup »

Purno wrote:Nice. That means you agree on the license as published at the website?
Of course.
lead@inbox wrote:i'd like to publish it (made by buttercup :wink: )
2ccshipsw [ver 0.1]
I cannot stress enough how basic this version is.

It's a start at least.
lead@inbox
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by lead@inbox »

If Michael Blunck gives consent to the use of his graphics, we could do such a passenger boat [we call it 'cheap and angry' in Russia] :)
Passengers are drawn by Michael Blunck and used here without permission for mockup only. Do NOT use distribute those sprites as part of any set without correct permission
Passengers are drawn by Michael Blunck and used here without permission for mockup only. Do NOT use distribute those sprites as part of any set without correct permission
poster.png (2.36 KiB) Viewed 3926 times
poster.pcx
(4.01 KiB) Downloaded 101 times
Last edited by lead@inbox on 16 Aug 2008 08:43, edited 1 time in total.
peter1138
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by peter1138 »

What ever happened to scale?
He's like, some kind of OpenTTD developer.
Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Purno »

Woah, I'm getting lost in this process now. Hang on.

So, you just released a .GRF without discussing that with me, as project coordinator? That means, I couldn't even add it to my website. Woah, things need to be more organized, because now I'm getting lost...

EDIT: Tried to gather some files for the website, but I'm getting lost in all versions of the spriteset you uploaded, and they all are named teaser.png.... :/ please only upload completely finished spritesets and give them a proper name.
Image Image
lead@inbox
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by lead@inbox »

Purno, my excuses. I will not do this in future :? what about passenger boat - good/bad idea?
and we have to give the name, cost, running cost, reliability, introduction date, vehicle life, speed [ocean/canal], model life, reliability decay for this ship.
Capacity is 60t (we choose it with Andy).
Ideas?
Last edited by lead@inbox on 16 Aug 2008 08:55, edited 1 time in total.
lead@inbox
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by lead@inbox »

peter1138 wrote:What ever happened to scale?
this one is properly scaled or not?
buttercup
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by buttercup »

Purno wrote:So, you just released a .GRF without discussing that with me, as project coordinator? That means, I couldn't even add it to my website. Woah, things need to be more organized, because now I'm getting lost...
Eeep, sorry. I've gotten used to posting things whenever they are done (more or less).

I sent the file to lead@inbox since he was eager to see what they (the minimovers) looked like in-game. I said he could post it here if he wanted but it wasn't meant to be an official release.

What's the proper protocol here? Would be better if I sent test files to everyone on the team first and you can then release it when you think it's ready?

Better yet, should I PM you before I do anything else to let you know I have a test file to send?

(on reading this back to myself, it sounds a little sarcastic but it's not meant to be taken as such)

Anyway...
I'm away until late on Tuesday so no more progress from me until then.
Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Purno »

If a GRF file can be released, someone should put it on the website. Both DanMacK and me have access to our website, thought I was given the task to maintain it.
Image Image
DanMacK
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by DanMacK »

I agree that all distributions should be sent to the team first and tested before being released. That said, I had an idea. Why not base this off the OpenGFX New Ships Grf? Add the sailing ship, the smaller coaster, the canal boat, cargo ship and the sternwheel steamer, and we've got a functional grf. The tanker in the open version would need to be ultmately repalced with a more realistic one, but as a start, it would be a good thing to have. The Lake boats need some adjusting in size as well, but the medium sized coaster, I'd say, is about the right size for a medium cargo vessel, possibly 200T or so.

The cargo ship in the current Open set, I'd say would be aabout a 350-400T size, passenger ferry about 150 people, and hovercraft the same (only much faster)

Tanker could be arefit of the standard cargo vessel or a new ship entirely (I like the GCV hull shape though)

Lakers could be selectable by parameter (IE, 1 is Ocean-based ships, 2 is North American/Great Lakes and 3 gives you all)

The sternwheeler I'd say have a 100 person capacity, speed approx 20MPH, Refittable to passengers, Mail (60 bags) Goods (60T) and Valuables (60 bags) (Maybe food?)

Sailing ship (May need to be slightly enlarged as well?) Should be refittable to pretty much everything with around a 100T (or 60 person) capacity, possibly 50 bags of mail and valuables. Speed would be faster than the sternwheeler, it would also cost less but cost slightly more to run due to the vast expense of canvas and hte multitude of men it takes to handle a large sailing ship.

Just my thoughts
Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Purno »

Well, since OpenTTD can use multiple ship sets, I guess there's no need to recode the OpenGFX ships. We could just code an add-on by using similar statistics.
Image Image
lead@inbox
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by lead@inbox »

another gcv (medium<this<big)
bigmover.png
(253.25 KiB) Downloaded 93 times
bigmover.pcx
this is draft painting - feel free to use
(309.8 KiB) Downloaded 180 times
Last edited by lead@inbox on 17 Aug 2008 08:36, edited 2 times in total.
Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Purno »

What kinda cargo does it ship?

EDIT: And why not draw it in 2cc?
Image Image
lead@inbox
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by lead@inbox »

bulk cargo [loading stages were added in third file] - this ship is remake of the gcv
added - and it is 2cc, i'll send you test grf :)
Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Purno »

Aye, why don't you just add all sprites inside the .png?

And, wouldn't it be an idea to draw it in 2cc?
Image Image

Return to “Graphics Development”