(UNIV) Canadian Train Set Development - *Update 11/09/11*

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

krtaylor
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by krtaylor »

Huh. I've never seen those. I think I've seen maybe GP-9s or something like that, but not F7s.
Development Projects Site:
http://www.as-st.com/ttd
Japan, American Transition, Planeset, and Project Generic Stations available there
Raichase
Moderizzle
Moderizzle
Location: Sydney, Australia. Usually at work in the underground railway station...

Post by Raichase »

Very attractive livery in Canada I notice. Not as nice as Australian trains, but still, very nice. Should be a good set when it is done, kudos for doing most of it yourself :o.
Posted by Raichase. Visit my Flickr! Gallery, Blog (get a feed of everyone at once at Planet TT-Forums).
Raichase - Perfect timing, all the time: [13:37] * Now talking in #tycoon
ImageImage
Official TT-Dave Worley Fan Club
Official TT-Andel-in-a-pink-hat Fan Club
DanMacK
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by DanMacK »

Thanks Raichase. Yeah, I'm starting to think I'm rather stubborn for doing most of it myself :P You should see those F units in original CN Passenger Livery though, they do look smart.
DanMacK
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by DanMacK »

Couple more in-progress drawings. Uzurpator, I'm repainting your AC4400 (AC6000) from the USSet as a CNR and CPR unit for the Canadian set. Below is the in-progress of the CPR unit. Also attached is an in-progress of a CPR FP9A.
Attachments
CPR Maroon and Grey FP9A in-progress
CPR Maroon and Grey FP9A in-progress
CPRFP9A.png (1.67 KiB) Viewed 3343 times
CPR AC4400CW
CPR AC4400CW
CPAC4400CW.png (2.24 KiB) Viewed 3343 times
DanMacK
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by DanMacK »

Some of the Interurban/electric stuff I'm working on as well. This can also be used in the USSet.
Attachments
CNR Passenger Boxcab
CNR Passenger Boxcab
CNRBoxcab.png (590 Bytes) Viewed 3340 times
Steeplecab Electric =>Trolley Pole
Steeplecab Electric =>Trolley Pole
Steeplecab.png (564 Bytes) Viewed 3340 times
Jewitt Wooden Interurban Motor Coach
Jewitt Wooden Interurban Motor Coach
Jewitt1.png (2.6 KiB) Viewed 3341 times
DanMacK
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by DanMacK »

Another in-progress - FP9A and 2 F7B's in 1955 on the new CPR stainless steel "Canadian".

Also, a photoshopped screen of some Eye candy I'm thinking on ;)
Attachments
The 'Canadian'
The 'Canadian'
1955CDN.png (30.12 KiB) Viewed 3324 times
CNR F's pushing a Snowplow.
CNR F's pushing a Snowplow.
SNOWPLOW.png (23.74 KiB) Viewed 3313 times
Raichase
Moderizzle
Moderizzle
Location: Sydney, Australia. Usually at work in the underground railway station...

Post by Raichase »

Wow, some more good progress. I remember seeing something on National Geographic about some trains in Canada or the USA (I can't remember exactly, sorry), but they were pushing this giant snowplow that hurled the snow about a hundred meters away from the track - it was so amazing!
Posted by Raichase. Visit my Flickr! Gallery, Blog (get a feed of everyone at once at Planet TT-Forums).
Raichase - Perfect timing, all the time: [13:37] * Now talking in #tycoon
ImageImage
Official TT-Dave Worley Fan Club
Official TT-Andel-in-a-pink-hat Fan Club
Born Acorn
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Born Acorn »

Raichase wrote:Wow, some more good progress. I remember seeing something on National Geographic about some trains in Canada or the USA (I can't remember exactly, sorry), but they were pushing this giant snowplow that hurled the snow about a hundred meters away from the track - it was so amazing!
I saw something similar to that, it was Maroonish, the mix of red/brown, and it shot the snow almost vertically up. Amazing.
krtaylor
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by krtaylor »

That's different. The one Dan drew is a simple angle snowplow, it just pushes the snow to the side. The one you are talking about is called a rotary snowplow. It works like a giant snowblower, with a big fan on the front that sucks the snow in and blows it out through the top. There's a ton of them here:

http://www.northeast.railfan.net/plow2.html

Maybe someday we will include something like that, but it would be SERIOUS eye-candy. It would be pointless unless we could show the snow blowing out, and I'm not sure how we'd do that.
Development Projects Site:
http://www.as-st.com/ttd
Japan, American Transition, Planeset, and Project Generic Stations available there
way_2_fun
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by way_2_fun »

I haven't been online for awhile, but it appears that I haven't missed much! Good work Dan, it's looking nice.
DaleStan
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by DaleStan »

krtaylor wrote:Maybe someday we will include something like that, but it would be SERIOUS eye-candy. It would be pointless unless we could show the snow blowing out, and I'm not sure how we'd do that.
Override the smoke/fumes/sparks, I believe. Much like the rotor override.
To get a good answer, ask a Smart Question. Similarly, if you want a bug fixed, write a Useful Bug Report. No TTDPatch crashlog? Then follow directions.
Projects: NFORenum (download) | PlaneSet (Website) | grfcodec (download) | grfdebug.log parser
Villem
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Villem »

or you can do it like you can do animated steamers, implement many rows of sprites and trigger them in order.
DanMacK
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by DanMacK »

Here's a CP Rail AC4400CW, repainted from uzurpator's unit for the USSet
Attachments
CP Rail AC4400CW spriteset
CP Rail AC4400CW spriteset
CPAC4400CW.png (3.23 KiB) Viewed 3122 times
wallyweb
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by wallyweb »

The last post in this thread was Mon Dec 13, 2004 4:24 pm ... I sincerely hope that the Canadian set has not been removed from the burner. :(

A note to our non Canadian friends ... The Canadian railroad is what made Canada what it is today. British Columbia joined into Confederation on the promise of a rail link to the east ... thus Canadian Pacific aka CPR was born. The history of Canada closely parallels the history of its railroads. Pierre Burton would be proud of this project. Google his name for more info. :D

Re the ties to the US, check out the aquisitions made by Canadian National over the last few years. It is now possible to ship freight between the Great White North and the Mexican border, all on Canadian owned track. Burritos with Maple Syrop ... now there's a thought. :lol:

Some thoughts on the project ...

Some posts a while back discussed level crossing collisions. Their numbers pale in comparison to the many moose maulings along Canadian track, so much of which winds through wilderness from one coast to the other. A stubborn bull moose challenging a CP freight in the Rockies will definitely have to be added to the disaster list. :lol:

I'm giving a hint as to my age here, but I remember living next to a CNR branch line in the Laurentians north of Montreal. I watched as steam gave way to diesle and diesle to the autoroute. It seemed to me that CNR changed its logos and liveries almost nightly. Definitely a good measure of the era when cosidering the life cycles of the various engines.

And speaking of buying lines, when it comes time to work on the freight cars, give a thought to GT, CV and CN whose cars were often mixed together and whose liveries were so similar, one had to look twice to realize the difference.

And finally, to end this winding post that's as long as a mainline freight consist speeding accross the prairies ... don't forget those wheat pool trains carrying grain to the lakehead in summer and to the Maritimes in winter.

Oops! Almost forgot! ... the patch supports canals so we've got the Saint Lawrence Seaway too!

Meanwhile, I'll make do with the US set and keep checking back for updates. The website looks great. Thanks for the memories :D
coalroads artist
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by coalroads artist »

Great to see CN livered locos.Is there going to be any GO livered locos and that high speed really sloped via rail thing?Will be a great set.
[edit]-Sorry just had a good look at thread and seen your good work :oops: they really suit the artic landscape.
Original AUSSET graphics artist.
-Mr squiggle was my mentor!
Tracking table-Ausset
DanMacK
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by DanMacK »

I'm still working on it here and there, I've just been sidetracked on other things (The USSet and the Finnish set namely), but never fear, I won't forget about this.

Yes, I'm planning GO trains and the "Sloped high speed thing" coalroads, I'm assuming you mean either the Bombardier LRC or the new P42's. Both of which will be in the set ;)

I also hope to eventually draw some Lakers for the US and Canadian sets.
coalroads artist
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by coalroads artist »

Yeah i was referring to the LRC.I just had a good look at your pics and i think they represent the unit well.It certaintly is very different in appearance but what are the stats like for it.It's fast and tilts dosen't it :?
Original AUSSET graphics artist.
-Mr squiggle was my mentor!
Tracking table-Ausset
DanMacK
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by DanMacK »

They were somewhat fast (adding for track allowance), but IIRC VIA and Bombardier never got the tilt mechanism to work properly. The LRC locos have all been retired, but the coaches are still used extensively.
Aegis
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Aegis »

DanMacK wrote:They were somewhat fast (adding for track allowance), but IIRC VIA and Bombardier never got the tilt mechanism to work properly. The LRC locos have all been retired, but the coaches are still used extensively.
The LRC cars are just a dream. I've rolled from Dorval, Montreal to London Ontario, Niagara Falls NY and points inbetween on those VIA cars and in comparison to the units that Amtrak fields, with no BS...the VIA cars are much more comfortable for long hauls.
DanMacK
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by DanMacK »

Thanks for the comments

I've ridden LRC cars, "Blue Cars" and the "New" Stainless cars. Never ridden Amtrak however.

Return to “Graphics Development”