Belgian Trainset

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

PikkaBird
Graphics Moderator
Graphics Moderator

Re: stupid (?) coding question

Post by PikkaBird »

DaleStan wrote:
kno wrote: - Which nfo (action0?) param is used to define a DMU behaviour (two coupled vehicles) ?
Callback 16.
Callback 16 if you want permanently coupled vehicles that you can't insert carriages between. Action 0 property 13 if you want a double-ended train, like the original TTD DMUs.
kno
Engineer
Engineer

First GRFs from my side

Post by kno »

Hi,

Thanks for your answers.

So... here are a couple of GRFs

HLV 53 : small tank steamer
AR 41 : recent dual carriage DMU

HLV is a telegraphic nickname for steam locs
H was the prefix for railroad rolling stock
L means loc
V means steam (vapeur)

formerly there were no need for the V, but it was introduced to distinguish steam from diesel (HLD) and electric (HLE).

Every telegraphic terminals use to have such nicknames. One letter was assigne to the stations for each former private company (F for state railways, L for "grand luxemburg" compaby, etc... you can find lists over there : http://users.pandora.be/pk/en/stations.htm )
Attachments
BE53kno.grf
(2.17 KiB) Downloaded 190 times
BE41kno.grf
(1.82 KiB) Downloaded 191 times
Snail
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Snail »

Could you post some screenies of the sprite as well? :)
kno
Engineer
Engineer

Post by kno »

Hi

Here are the screenies...

Karl

(edit : OK, I just switch the sprite with a png version and 300% zoom)
Attachments
sprites_kno.png
sprites_kno.png (82.92 KiB) Viewed 3583 times
Last edited by kno on 25 Jan 2007 18:16, edited 2 times in total.
Snail
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Snail »

Hi Kno,

That steamer is not so bad! Is it your first attempt? If so, I can say it's a good start.
I cannot really judge the shading, as you posted a .JPG and the colors are a bit messed up (maybe next time it's better if you post a .PNG file instead ;) )

The looks are okay and I saw you tried to give more deepness to the horizontal view. Also the diagonal view seem to be nicely done in the general shape (maybe the cab is a bit too high in the northbound sprites, but that's not a big problem).

What makes me perplex is the general size of the loco. As you can see from the technical drawing I found here, this little thing was just about 10.5 meters long. In my personal scale, this translates to an engine 19 pixels long (or 5/8 ). Yours is 30 pixels long! Now, it's true that every artist has his own way of drawing and his own scales, but 30 pixels are definitely too much for a small tank engine like the HLV 53. If you keep it like that, how would you differentiate it from one of the longest electrics of the Belgian set (which will be more than twice as long as that)?
You need all of your models to be in scale, otherwise they would look all the same... which would make the set look odd! ;)

Also, the wheels are way too big. This thing's wheels diameter size was around 1.3 meters, while the ones you drew could equip one of the largest Pacifics!

I saw the list of the Belgian steamers, and I admit I got impressed. They are all very beautiful engines, different from each other, that sure would be fun to draw. I can help you if you are interested in drawing more :)

I hope this helped, your efforts are definitely in the right direction already. Try harder :D

Cheers
Beesty
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Beesty »

The AR41 looks awesome anyway!
If you're feeling blue, why not smurf along with me?
A Belgium trainset would be a greatfull toy!
Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Purno »

Nice graphics. Heh, with these kind of graphics you don't need me anymore :tongue:

EDIT: Tho, NEVER, EVER, use jpg for screenshots or sprites, especially not for sprites. Use png instead.
Contributor to the The 2cc Set and Dutch Trainset. Inventor of the Metro concept. Retired Graphics Artist.
Image Image
Download TT | Latest TTDPatch | OpenTTD | OpenTTDCoop | BaNaNaS: OpenTTD content system | 2048² OTTD scenario of the Netherlands
GRF Codec | GRF Crawler | GRF Maker | Usefull graphics & tools sites | NML Documentation Wiki | NFO Documentation Wiki
All my graphics are licensed under GPL. "Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else."
kno
Engineer
Engineer

Post by kno »

Hi,

Thank you for sharing your knowledge and encouraging my first steps in the design stuffs.
Snail wrote:Hi Kno,

That steamer is not so bad! Is it your first attempt? If so, I can say it's a good start.
I cannot really judge the shading, as you posted a .JPG and the colors are a bit messed up (maybe next time it's better if you post a .PNG file instead ;) )

[...]

What makes me perplex is the general size of the loco. As you can see from the technical drawing I found here, this little thing was just about 10.5 meters long. In my personal scale, this translates to an engine 19 pixels long (or 5/8 ). Yours is 30 pixels long! Now, it's true that every artist has his own way of drawing and his own scales, but 30 pixels are definitely too much for a small tank engine like the HLV 53. If you keep it like that, how would you differentiate it from one of the longest electrics of the Belgian set (which will be more than twice as long as that)?
You need all of your models to be in scale, otherwise they would look all the same... which would make the set look odd! ;)

Also, the wheels are way too big. This thing's wheels diameter size was around 1.3 meters, while the ones you drew could equip one of the largest Pacifics!
OK, I'll try to compress it.

Thanks again

Karl
kno
Engineer
Engineer

GRF questions

Post by kno »

Hi,

got some question to understand an existing GRF (Y2 DMU GRF from Purno/Oracle):

//A SECOND ACTION 0 : THIS ONE IS FOR THE WAGONS...
3 * 11 00 00 02 02 1B 12 FD FD 22 00 00

3 * 11 : PSEUDOSPRITE HEADER
00 : ACTION 0 TAG
00 : FEATURE (00 = TRAINS)
02 : 2 PROPERTIES WILL FOLLOW
02 : 2 CONSECUTIVE VEHICLES CONCERNED BY THIS ACTION 0
1B : FIRST VEHICLE ID : PASSENGER CARRIER (NEXT IS 1C = MAIL VAN...
12 FD : USED TO FORCE “NEW GRAPHICS”

FD 22 00 00 => I DON'T UNDERSTAND THOSE ...

Can anyone explain ?

Thanks

Karl
Last edited by kno on 27 Jan 2007 10:35, edited 1 time in total.
DaleStan
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by DaleStan »

First, don't use that greenish color. It's impossible to read on the TT-style.
Second, the first FD only sets prop 12 for the first vehicle. The second vehicle consumes the next FD byte. All Action 0s work this way.
Third, NFORenum has a command that looks like "//@@BEAUTIFY LINEBREAKS=3". Use it.

This should be enough to fix your misunderstanding.
To get a good answer, ask a Smart Question. Similarly, if you want a bug fixed, write a Useful Bug Report. No TTDPatch crashlog? Then follow directions.
Projects: NFORenum (download) | PlaneSet (Website) | grfcodec (download) | grfdebug.log parser
spaceman-spiff
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Post by spaceman-spiff »

Fixed green color, Dalestan, is it hard to add a please, you really scare away people acting that way alll the time
Well, back to work, lot's of it in the near future
Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: GRF questions

Post by Purno »

kno wrote:(Y2 DMU GRF from Mauro/Oracle)
Could you show me where you got this information? See, I once made a Y2 graphics which, IIRC, Oracle coded, so I wonder how Mauro's name comes there...
Contributor to the The 2cc Set and Dutch Trainset. Inventor of the Metro concept. Retired Graphics Artist.
Image Image
Download TT | Latest TTDPatch | OpenTTD | OpenTTDCoop | BaNaNaS: OpenTTD content system | 2048² OTTD scenario of the Netherlands
GRF Codec | GRF Crawler | GRF Maker | Usefull graphics & tools sites | NML Documentation Wiki | NFO Documentation Wiki
All my graphics are licensed under GPL. "Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else."
kno
Engineer
Engineer

Post by kno »

Purno wrote:
Could you show me where you got this information? See, I once made a Y2 graphics which, IIRC, Oracle coded, so I wonder how Mauro's name comes there...
That's what happens when you develop after a job day :-/

Of course it's yours... I'll edit my msg to give back Caesar what Caesar owns :-) (sorry, not sure this should sound this way in English. Quite a litteral french translation)

And Thanks DaleStan for sharing knowledge. better a "brutal" tip than no tip at all :-) I'll carefully explore nfoRenum in my next free moments...

greets

Karl
Last edited by kno on 27 Jan 2007 10:40, edited 1 time in total.
Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Purno »

kno wrote:
Purno wrote:
That's what happens when you develop after a job day :-/

Of course it's yours... I'll edit my msg to give back Caesar what Caesar owns :-) (sorry, not sure this should sound this way in English. Quite a litteral french translation)
Ah ok, glad to know nobody credited me incorrectly. :)
Image Image
DeMoraatz
Engineer
Engineer

Post by DeMoraatz »

ok, huuuuge bump, i know!!

since the last post here has been on 27 Jan, im wondering if someone has made progress? i saw some great work, but it wasnt released ( i think)

does someone have an update? and does someone has a download link if there is anything available?

reason i asked was that i am greatly interested in this!

regards

Meastro444
Resistance is futile!!
Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Purno »

I've tried several time to blow life into this set again, but without help I can do nothing. If you want this set to be done, help! Right now, we need a tracking table, and only someone with knownledge of Belgian railway stock can make one.
Image Image
Snail
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Snail »

I thought a tracking table was (mostly) already done? I even remember seeing many interesting engines it would be fun to draw...
Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Purno »

Ah, indeed. There seems to be a tracking table here. It would be nice if someone could make an online table which shows what vehicles will be included. Possibly also with the status of those vehicles (e.g. wether they're drawn or not), because I'm convinced that'll attract more artists than an excel file like the current. Any volunteers?
Image Image
Pavo
Engineer
Engineer

Re: Belgian Trainset

Post by Pavo »

Hi everyone, I'm going to try to reanimate this project :P
Sir A. Boey
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Re: Belgian Trainset

Post by Sir A. Boey »

Ok love to see this set progress if there's anything I can do [like searching for info about
the belgian railways * no coding * and I've just started to draw] let me know something
and I'll try my best to help you ;-)
_____________# If you believe in it, you can achieve it" # ____________
__________________# Check out My Closed Platform #___________________

Return to “Graphics Development”