swaping the artic and temperate sets

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

CNrail
Engineer
Engineer

swaping the artic and temperate sets

Post by CNrail »

I'm just wondering if there is a way to swap some of the artic engines into the temperate set. Namly the SD40, F40, ac44, and p42. Not a big thing just curious ;)
troopper5
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by troopper5 »

Well, I guess it's not possible without creating a new locomotive set. Since sprites are drawn into each set, and transferring them to other is a different job than changing them in-game-mode.

But if you are energized to do a job for it, it is possible. :wink:
Oracle
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Oracle »

Theoretically possible but, in reality, extremely difficult because you'd have to change the NFO files of the GRF lots and lots to get anything like it should be, working out which pieces went with which engine and so on. Only Michael Blunck would be in a good position to do that and he's got other more important things that he's working on at the moment.
Why would you want arctic engines in the temperate climate anyway?
Louie Armstrong
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Louie Armstrong »

Using TTDAlter u can decide which locos are available in which climate, but im not sure if its advisable

Official TT-Jewel Staite FanClub
Official TT-Ellen Page FanClub
Official TT-Hayley Williams FanClub
Official TT-generic yet cute emo woman FanClub
jonty-comp wrote:I accidentally wedged my frigate between some rocks. D:
Prof. Frink
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Prof. Frink »

Louie: that only applies to the standard vehicles, not new ones. You'd have to edit the NFOs for that.
CNrail
Engineer
Engineer

Post by CNrail »

it was more out of curiosity then anything. I like working in the temperate climate. But most of the trains i see around here locally, like the SD40 are in the artic set. i live in a small city in the rural areas of manitoba canada. We have a decent sized switching yard that's full (or used to be) of SD40's hauling grain east and west. So it's more of just wanting to play with familiar stuff, in a familiar climate ;)

but i'll just have to play the artic climate more is all ;)
alphanumeric
Director
Director

Post by alphanumeric »

I have the same problem CNrail.. I am forced to play the artic set because of hte engines they have.. mostly the ones u speak of. but you are more lucky cause they have CP rail and VIA rail graphics on them :lol:

I tried to copy the engine graphics from the artic set, right into the temperate set and it wouldnt work.. dunno why..

I am now thinking.. of switching hte file names.. rename the artic set one (with the engines I like) to the DBset file name or something.. but then again.. those dumb NFO files would prolly cause a problem

if you have any grahpics editing skills.. join up in the US transition grahpics post =)
Zoom
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Zoom »

It's very easy
Just to change ONE byte for each necessary loco in .NFO file :)
CAN'T you do it?
Zoom
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Zoom »

But here is another problem - with ID's. You should decide what ID's should be free for fitting them with Arctic locos...
krtaylor
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by krtaylor »

Don't worry about it. Just wait for the new American set. It is designed to be able to be used in all 3 environments, since all three environments are found in the U.S. and different locos would be more at home in each. This will include many of the favorite locos from the Arctic set, as well as lots of other trains. You can take a look at the link in my sig, or join the conversation in the "American Transition" thread.
Development Projects Site:
http://www.as-st.com/ttd
Japan, American Transition, Planeset, and Project Generic Stations available there

Return to “Graphics Development”