Looking for a graphical for Maglev Enhanced Tunnels

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

WWTBAM

Looking for a graphical for Maglev Enhanced Tunnels

Post by WWTBAM »

As some TTDPatch players know, the sprites used by the other 3 default rail types can't be used for maglev enhanced tunnels. I was looking for ideas how to graphically solve the issue. These would need to go into ttdpbase(w).grf which I will attempt to implement in the patch.
Formerly known as r0b0t_b0y2003, robotboy, roboboy and beclawat. The best place to get the most recent nightly builds of TTDPatch is: http://roboboy.users.tt-forums.net/TTDPatch/nightlies/
michael blunck
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Looking for a graphical for Maglev Enhanced Tunnels

Post by michael blunck »

Maybe Snail could come up with something interesting? I remember he also did the default graphics for OTTD´s railtype tunnel portal overlays.

regards
Michael
WWTBAM

Post by WWTBAM »

I am thinking I will need a set of sprites that mimic the default ground tile for a maglev junction without the grass surrounding the concrete trough. Then I can have TTD draw the sprites that were orriginaly used on top to show the direction of track.
Formerly known as r0b0t_b0y2003, robotboy, roboboy and beclawat. The best place to get the most recent nightly builds of TTDPatch is: http://roboboy.users.tt-forums.net/TTDPatch/nightlies/
OzTrans
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by OzTrans »

I'm not quite sure, what you want to do, but Canadian (BK) Tunnels do contain maglev tunnels (including normal, monorail and roads too) for enhanced tunnel functionality for all climates and matching TTD 'original' terrain graphics.
WWTBAM

Post by WWTBAM »

http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php? ... 0#p1042960 shows the current situation. I will post a screenshot of the previous situation tomorrow when I'm back on my laptop.A nightly before r1447 should display the old behavior.
WWTBAM

Post by WWTBAM »

Here is a screenshot of what the user used to get when building a straight track with r1446. I cant demonstrate corners on a tunnel as that hadn't been implemented then.
Attachments
Old Maglev Enhanced Tunnels.png
Old Maglev Enhanced Tunnels.png (10.15 KiB) Viewed 2006 times
wallyweb
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by wallyweb »

How are these?
Attachments
maglevSpritesAssembly.png
maglevSpritesAssembly.png (82.07 KiB) Viewed 187 times
WWTBAM

Post by WWTBAM »

They look good wallyweb. Now to work out how to implement code to draw them from ttdpbase(w).grf rather than trg1(r).grf. Any help from a TTDP dev would be greatful.
edit: added the last sentence.
Snail
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Snail »

michael blunck wrote:Maybe Snail could come up with something interesting? I remember he also did the default graphics for OTTD´s railtype tunnel portal overlays.
Well, yes, I did come up with new tunnel portals for highspeed lines:
mockup.png
mockup.png (3.28 KiB) Viewed 1743 times
They're still unreleased though. They will be part of the rails for the French set, as the TGV line's tunnel portals.
The French Narrow Gauge Train Set is now released! Get it here
Lakie
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by Lakie »

From memory, enhanced tunnels only draws the normal track sections on top of the the tunnel and doesn't use special sprites for those tunnels, as such, I believe that particular issue is actually a bug within the enhanced tunnels patch.

[Edit] After looking through the code it looks like it uses a tunnel sprite (which is obviously straight) for maglev as none of the default TTD sprites (1169 - 1174) are suitable for drawing above the tunnel. It might be necessary to write in support for new maglev enhanced tunnel top sprites and draw those as the solution.

~ Lakie
TTDpatch Developer 2005 - 2010 ~ It all started because of shortened vehicle not loading correctly, now look where I've gone with it!
Grfs coded ~ Finnish Train Set (Teaser) | Bm73 (Release 3) | Emu 680 (Release 3)| Glass Station (Release 1) | UK Roadset (Version 1.1a) | New Water Coasts (Version 7)
Pikka: "Lakie's a good coder, but before he'll add any feature to TTDP you have to convince him that you're not going to use it to destroy the world as we know it."
WWTBAM

Post by WWTBAM »

Lakie wrote:From memory, enhanced tunnels only draws the normal track sections on top of the the tunnel and doesn't use special sprites for those tunnels, as such, I believe that particular issue is actually a bug within the enhanced tunnels patch.

[Edit] After looking through the code it looks like it uses a tunnel sprite (which is obviously straight) for maglev as none of the default TTD sprites (1169 - 1174) are suitable for drawing above the tunnel. It might be necessary to write in support for new maglev enhanced tunnel top sprites and draw those as the solution.

~ Lakie
That was what I was hoping to do, ie draw wallyweb's sprites instead of the TTD sprites since the enhanced tunnels code handles maglev differently to the other railtypes and there is a block of code for directions other than / and \that currently just draws the same sprite for | _ views. Maybe I should ping JGR and see if he's interested as he did the prep work for different maglev sprites.

Return to “Graphics Development”