[Request] River graphics for the original base set

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

Nagyzee
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

[Request] River graphics for the original base set

Post by Nagyzee »

I know that requests are usually received not that well and I can expect a few "do it yourself" answers but so be it. :roll:

I'd just like to voice my opinion that the lack of river graphics for the original base set in sub-arctic and sub-tropical climates is probably the most glaring hole graphics-wise in the game currently. Rivers are a core feature and have been around for years, just like Michael Blunck's very nice rivers.grf for temperate. But in the other two climates this quite old feature still doesn't have graphics.

As I can't code nor draw (I know I could try) I'd just like to ask whether anyone has plans to fill this hole sometime in the future. It would be great and most welcome. I'd also like to ask whether the separate release of the OpenGFX rivers as a grf could be a possibility to partially solve this issue. Probably it wouldn't look that good but still a lot better than no riverbanks at all. (Just a guess, might be wrong.)

Sorry for taking your time, I'd just like to know what others think of this issue and whether any of the active drawers / grf makers has considered making the river graphics sometime in the future. Fire away! :P
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Re: [Request] River graphics for the original base set

Post by planetmaker »

Sure it would look better.

Take a look at those two water grfs: http://dev.openttdcoop.org/projects/grf ... _landscape - or... replace all the land / shore graphics in the attached png in the style of the ttd base set (replacing the water is easy in comparison). License of the png: gpl v2, drawn by Leppka and Zephyris.
Attachments
waterfeatures_ttd.png
(135.4 KiB) Downloaded 2 times
Nagyzee
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Nagyzee »

Yeah, I usually use Leppka's New Water grf. It looks nice.

If I got your answer right all the river-related graphics in the OpenGFX base set are found in that png file and they are under GPL v2 so if someone codes them as a separate river grf it can be freely released under GPL v2. Is that right? We'd only need someone to code it and we'd have a solution for the sub-arctic and sub-tropical river graphics that is a lot better than the current nothing.

Please correct me if I misunderstood something.
Rubidium
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Rubidium »

The major problem with "just" taking the OpenGFX graphics is that their water and land looks in some places significantly different. That means that river graphics created directly from recoding those graphics will look odd/wrong. After all, the river graphics use the water graphics for waterfalls, and the land graphics for the edges, whereas for locks and canal graphics you only provide small canal edge graphics without any land or water shown.

I've been asking some active drawers (over a long time) already for those missing graphics, but nobody ever actually drew them. I'd be happy if this time it does get somewhere, but please make the graphics really fit with the original graphics instead of copying OpenGFX's graphics.
Nagyzee
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Nagyzee »

Well, if I'm not mistaken OpenGFX uses Leppka's new water graphics which are also available as a separate grf that combines nicely with the original graphics, too. So the bigger problem is the land edges. And yeah, using the OpenGFX graphics for rivers would be sub-optimal but used alongside Leppka's grf replacing all the water it would probably look a lot better already than what we have currently.

And it's nice to know that other, more influential people also perceive this as a real problem. Gives me hope that one day this issue will be taken care of. :) Thanks for all the replies so far.

Return to “Graphics Development”