[Univ] Generic Tram Set (v0.4)

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

Grandmaster
Engineer
Engineer

Re: Generic Tram Set [v0.4 now available 09/02/2008]

Post by Grandmaster »

i will place it in the suggestion forum.

But what about the first wish of mine. Longer passenger trams. Seems to me that a longer tram has everything to do with this set. The only tram that has 4 wagons is the goods tram, but i want to have a passenger version also.
Because i know that it is not possible to custom build trams like trains, it would be nice to have future trams in short, medium and very long versions.

If i look at the company Alstom, they have trams of the same series that are 3, 5 or 7 compartments long. Maybe that is also possible for a generic tram set 0.5 :?: just hoping. :)
Zephyris
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Generic Tram Set [v0.4 now available 09/02/2008]

Post by Zephyris »

Ah, I see what you mean now. It would be simple to add more longer vehicles to this set but I would rather not; this is supposed to be a very basic "in the style of the original vehicles" set, not the ultimate flexible tram set. Plus I also find that less experienced players find very long road vehicles annoying because of traffic jam problems, and for a set which is included in releases I want to avoid this frustration.

Do feel free to modify it for your own use though; IIRC you only need to modify two hex values to lengthen a vehicle.
cosmicray
Engineer
Engineer

Re: [Univ] Generic Tram Set (v0.4)

Post by cosmicray »

So I am working on a NewGRF to raise the capacity of some vehicles in the game. I'm trying to do so on these Generic Tram Sets also. It's a bit difficult because I can't find the NML source anywhere (can you publish it?)

I'm trying to do something like:

item(FEAT_ROADVEHS, tram_3e, 0x3E) {
property {
cargo_capacity: 100;
}
}

but no matter what I set cargo_capacity to, it has no effect.

I have a clause like this for every ID from 0x3A to 0x44, but still nothing changes. Any ideas?

This same approach works fine modifying base vehicles. I have tried loading the NewGRFs in different order, and nothing helps.

Thanks!
Supercheese
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Supercheese »

You may need to also change the capacity in a callback and not just a property. For instance:

Code: Select all

item(FEAT_ROADVEHS, tram_3e, 0x3E) {
	property {
		cargo_capacity:					100;

}
	graphics {
		cargo_capacity:					100;
	}
}
Eyecandy Road Vehicles | Fake Subways | Supercheese's NewObjects

"Fashions and cultures change, but steam trains shall always be majestic."
-Professor Hershel Layton
cosmicray
Engineer
Engineer

Post by cosmicray »

Thanks for that tip -- I tried it, but it still didn't do the trick.
Lakie
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by Lakie »

I believe you need to mark that it'll be modifying another NewGrf'a vehicles first for it to work. Link.

~ Lakie
TTDpatch Developer 2005 - 2010 ~ It all started because of shortened vehicle not loading correctly, now look where I've gone with it!
Grfs coded ~ Finnish Train Set (Teaser) | Bm73 (Release 3) | Emu 680 (Release 3)| Glass Station (Release 1) | UK Roadset (Version 1.1a) | New Water Coasts (Version 7)
Pikka: "Lakie's a good coder, but before he'll add any feature to TTDP you have to convince him that you're not going to use it to destroy the world as we know it."
cosmicray
Engineer
Engineer

Post by cosmicray »

Yes, that was it! engine_override("RW\01\03"); did it.
Zephyris
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Zephyris »

cosmicray wrote:So I am working on a NewGRF to raise the capacity of some vehicles in the game. I'm trying to do so on these Generic Tram Sets also. It's a bit difficult because I can't find the NML source anywhere (can you publish it?)
I'm afraid there is no NML source (it was made before NML existed) and there is no commented NFO (because I made it without adding any comments). Decompiling the GRF to NFO is exactly the same as me publishing the source!
dice128
Engineer
Engineer

Post by dice128 »

Hi everyone,

could you please tell me how i can use "generic tram set" into a scenario game?. Because it doesn't works. It work into regular game with random cities but if i try to use it into a scenario it doesn't work. How is it possible??

Thx!
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

You have to enable Scenario Developer mode, then open the scenario in the Scenario Editor and add it there. Details are found on the board here and the wiki.
dice128
Engineer
Engineer

Post by dice128 »

Thanks for the reply, but i've tried....i didn't find any option....
NekoMaster
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by NekoMaster »

dice128 wrote:Thanks for the reply, but i've tried....i didn't find any option....
ITs actually in the openttd.cfg, which you can find in your OpenTTD Folder located in "My Documents", just open it with notepad or any other text editor and find/search for

scenario_developer = false

and change that false to true.

I might also add that it might be nice to have

newgrf_developer_tools = false

set to true to allow loading up grfs while in game (just be careful with this because you can crash the game if you play around with the GRF order/loading while in game)
Image Proud Canadian Image
Nekomasters Projects! (Downloads available on BaNaNaS!) \(>^w^<)/
# NARS ADD-ON SET 2CC | 2cc Rapid Transit For Me! (2ccRTFM) | 2cc Wagons In NML (2ccWIN)
# NML Category System (Organize your GRFS!) <- TT-Forums Exclusive Download!
dice128
Engineer
Engineer

Post by dice128 »

thanks for your help!
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Eddi »

NekoMaster wrote:I might also add that it might be nice to have newgrf_developer_tools
do not go around suggesting this to people.
dice128
Engineer
Engineer

Post by dice128 »

Eddi wrote:
NekoMaster wrote:I might also add that it might be nice to have newgrf_developer_tools
is that a bad thing? Also i've another question : in game local authority prevent me to built metropolitan airport for "noise pollution" how can i avoid this? i've read with trees planting but it doesn't works. Is any setting option available?

thx
Supercheese
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Supercheese »

dice128 wrote:is that a bad thing? Also i've another question : in game local authority prevent me to built metropolitan airport for "noise pollution" how can i avoid this? i've read with trees planting but it doesn't works. Is any setting option available?

thx
You can try toggling the Allow_town_controlled_noise_level_for_airports setting. You may notice though that with it disabled you will not be able to build more than two airports per town.
Eyecandy Road Vehicles | Fake Subways | Supercheese's NewObjects

"Fashions and cultures change, but steam trains shall always be majestic."
-Professor Hershel Layton
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Eddi »

dice128 wrote:
Eddi wrote:
is that a bad thing?
all the things you requested, which are dangerous enough, are included in the scenario developer mode. adding newgrf developer mode includes even more, even more dangerous, things, which are really only useful if you actually develop a newgrf.
Cecil Cityscape
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Cecil Cityscape »

Love this GRF! :D :D :D

I just noticed though, that at the end, towards 2050 or so, the two final cargo trams go obsolete, and the a2020 stays, but its max reliability goes down to 50%. This can hinder large tram networks, so I think it would be good if this was changed.
Cecil Cityscape is the name of an avatar in Chris Sawyer's Locomotion
Cheers from the Dominion of Canada! :lol: 8)
skyrish19
Engineer
Engineer

Re:

Post by skyrish19 »

Villem wrote:As much i like this set, you need to be more innonative with the names, for example calling a tram just "Manley-Morel" is a bit confusing, since theres a DMU that carries that name wich it is also commonly referred by, and thats just the manufacturer(Metro Cammell is the real life example, wich funnily enough did make some tram trailers for the Blackpool tram system).

Theres quite many sites for TTD that reveal the real manufacturers behind the vehicles in TTD, it could very well be useful to you in deciding what kind of TTD style manufacturer/class names to use, instead of randomly picking a prefix or name.
Then how's about this for TTO-style names (like i said usually preferred NewGRF vehicles with real-life names or models)

Code: Select all

Bedford Passenger (Balough Passenger)
BR Jubilee Passenger (SH Jubilee Passenger)
BR Royal Passenger (SH Royal Passenger)
Volvo Passenger (Foster Passenger)
Alstom Passenger  (A2020 Passenger)
AEC Mail (MPS Mail)
BR 08 Mail  (SH 08 Mail)
BR 2000 Mail (SH 2000 Mail)
Bedford Goods (Balogh Goods)
Metro-Cammell Goods (Manley-Morel Goods)
Brush Goods (Floss Goods)
What you do think when i renamed them to TTO-style names in game?
Donald Duck
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Donald Duck »

After 2051, no trams at all are available, so after a while I'm forced to keep very old trams without being able to renew them, and I can't buy any new trams. It would be nice if the last tram model would be available forever, just like the last default train and bus models.

Return to “Graphics Development”