Fortress replacement for Transmitter [V0.3 Released]

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

Would you like to see this as...

A single GRF replacing light-houses
23%
A tourist building in ECS Industries
38%
Coded as a newhouse, with very low frequency
20%
Other, please post and say what
No votes
It doesnt matter, i wouldn't use it.
20%

Total votes: 40

BobDendry
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by BobDendry »

Right all, it is released.
LOL RELEASED XD
No, seriously, tell me if it doesn't work or something. It should work with all good landscape sets.
Attachments
towerw.GRF
You may not modify this GRF under ANY circumstances without express permission from WhiteHand.
(2.93 KiB) Downloaded 262 times
Formerly known as Lachie
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

Thanks WhiteHand, all appears to be working fine :mrgreen:
Need some good tested AI? - Unofficial AI Tester, list of good stuff & thread is here.
wallyweb
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by wallyweb »

Nice work guys. Good cooperative effort Captain_Kirk, Oz and WhiteHand. :D

Now ... I can't resist commenting on a couple of WhiteHand's comments ... al in good fun of course :wink: ... these two to be specific:
WhiteHand wrote:It also puts forward the view that tourists are too 'high' to travel with regular passengers, damn snobs.
And
WhiteHand wrote:Imma coding it up, as simply a lighthouse replacement, until you people somehow manage to convince me of the merits of using ECS Cargoes.
The Tourist Industry

Tourists are a cargo. I know. I live in a community that receives several shiploads of the stuff every summer. The city I live in is referred to as a "tourist destination". That is an industry that accepts tourist cargo, reprocesses it and returns it to its source for further processing. The reprocessing of tourists is a two step process. First the product must be fattened up, a process not very different from the concept of feed lots in the cattle industry. The feed lots are called restaurants and the cattle ... erm ... tourists are attracted to them like flies to a carcass. Once suitably fattened up, the tourist must be properly cleaned and relieved of infestations, infections and impurities collectively referred to as "cash". Note that some tourists are resistant to this, akin to cattle being led to slaughter. Every now and then, one shows signs of resistance, almost as if it realizes its eventual fate. Along with restaurants, the tourist destination industry consists of a variety of snares commonly referred to as "tourist traps". These devices are particularly effective at cleaning out the carcas ... erm ... tourist, preparing it for its eventual return to the ship. Note that ships are not the only mode of conveyance. Planes, trains and busses are often refitted to accomodate tourists by a method called "chartering". Charter busses are particularly effective in the mass transport of the tourist commodity. Furthermore, a properly designed tourist destination can measure its effectiveness by the number of tourists that are snared in the wild as they roam the countryside in "automobiles". After reprocessing, the tourist cargo is returned to the conveyance that provided it whereupon it may be forwarded to another "tourist destination" for further processing or it may be returned to its source where a final process referred to as "import duty" or "taxation" is applied, the latter being particularly effective in cleaning the victim ... erm ... tourist of any residual "cash".

Whitehand, as you can see, the tourist industry is indeed legitimate and worthy of use in ECS and as for their isolation from normal "passenger" cargo, this is to be encouraged to protect the passengers from possible cash infections.

Sincerely,

Wallyweb
m4rek
Chairman
Chairman

Post by m4rek »

Oz wrote: I think that this will be the final version, unless someone has a vital critique. 'Kay? Kay.

Cheers!
its too much one colour, more sand than stone. you know what i mean?

if you dont, ill explain properly but not right this very second.

but i AM impressed.
Toyland isn't a climate, it's a mistake.
Everyone has a photographic memory - Some just don't have film
No matter how hard life gets, remember there is always light at the end of the tunnel. Let's just hope it's not a train.
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

M4rek, too late, its coded and released :D
Last edited by Redirect Left on 23 Nov 2006 13:42, edited 1 time in total.
Need some good tested AI? - Unofficial AI Tester, list of good stuff & thread is here.
m4rek
Chairman
Chairman

Post by m4rek »

i can read.

and, if it is fully released and unchangeable, why is it "release 0.1"?
Toyland isn't a climate, it's a mistake.
Everyone has a photographic memory - Some just don't have film
No matter how hard life gets, remember there is always light at the end of the tunnel. Let's just hope it's not a train.
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

er.. well i didnt actually call it 0.1.. i did say 1.0 on the title but then i realised the GRf stated 0.1...

EDIT: It spose it might get worked on in the future..
PeterB
Engineer
Engineer

Post by PeterB »

Works ok for me as a lighthouse, thanks guys, good work.

But you might have used the wrong tower as a model. How about this one, in the main street of Camperdown.

So it's a building in town, and a tourist attraction. However in the context of the game, a lighthouse replacement is probably easier to use. (how's that for undecided. :? )

Peter
Attachments
Camperdown Clock.jpg
Camperdown Clock.jpg (39.87 KiB) Viewed 5405 times
Dave

Post by Dave »

Dudley Castle is on a hill (like most British castles) in the middle of a 5 mile radius of solid urban area.
Official TT-Dave Fan Club

Dave's Screenshot Thread! - Albion: A fictional Britain
Flickr

Why be a song when you can be a symphony? r is a...
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

I much prefer the castle just done, looks nicer, that just looks like a building with a clock on.
PeterB
Engineer
Engineer

Post by PeterB »

Yes, your castle is a nicer tower. Not many castles here, but plenty of Victorian monstrosities like this one. It's really out of place in a small (3000) country town.

http://www.gatewaybbs.com.au/Campdown/Attract.htm
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

Yea, it definatly looks out of place :P
BobDendry
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by BobDendry »

Yeah, kirk, mate, I didn't give you permission on your site, please take it down, it wasn't aprt of our agreement.
Formerly known as Lachie
SHADOW-XIII
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by SHADOW-XIII »

guys, please remember to add all graphics to grfcrawler
what are you looking at? it's a signature!
BobDendry
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by BobDendry »

Shadow, already been done.
Formerly known as Lachie
SHADOW-XIII
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by SHADOW-XIII »

thanks, it wasn't there when I was writing this post
cheers
what are you looking at? it's a signature!
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

WhiteHand wrote:Yeah, kirk, mate, I didn't give you permission on your site, please take it down, it wasn't aprt of our agreement.
Done,
Thanks for adding it to GRFCrawler...
Oz
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Oz »

Screenies anyone?

m4rek: I tried to keep it as faithful to the pictures that were posted here. It seemed to be largely limestone, which is kinda sandy/blonde in color. If the consensus is to grey it down a bit, I'd be willing to tweak it for a v0.2 release.

WhiteHand: Thanks for coding this, Bub. As Wally said, this was a cool collaboration project. Hopefully, we'll be able to work together again! 8)

Cheers!
Arguments from authority carry little weight (in science there are no "authorities"). - Dr. Carl Sagan. "The Demon Haunted World"
ImageImage
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

ChristopherT
Engineer
Engineer

Post by ChristopherT »

All I've got to say is eveyone did an excellent job! I tried it out last night with the UKRS set and it worked fine. The only thing I noticed was that it wouldn't replace the lighthouses in a save game, I had to start a new game to see the effect.

Thanks guys!

Christopher

Return to “Graphics Development”