Dutch stations set

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

XeryusTC
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by XeryusTC »

astath wrote:it's truly bizarre how you learned to code in, well, what seems like a day in the life of a asthmatic badger. brilliance.
Well, I did look in coding before, but never came further than the second tutorial or so. But the big help was other people's code and some really good, usefull help in #tycoon (thanks again Lakie and DaleStan :) ).

And Purno, I didn't forgot the roofs, I haven't coded them yet because I didn't know if you people wanted it to be part of Hilversum or as a different tile type, I personally prefer the latter.
And another thing Purno, I wanted to take a look at those Utrecht Roofs you made, but they are actually quite wide, if I put two of those roofs next to each other there will only be like 6 pixels spacing between them, which is a really small amount considering their size. Maybe you could scale them down a bit.
Don't panic - My YouTube channel - Follow me on twitter (@XeryusTC) - Play Tribes: Ascend - Tired of Dropbox? Try SpiderOak (use this link and we both get 1GB extra space)
OpenTTD: manual #openttdcoop: blog | wiki | public server | NewGRF pack | DevZone
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Purno »

XeryusTC wrote: And Purno, I didn't forgot the roofs, I haven't coded them yet because I didn't know if you people wanted it to be part of Hilversum or as a different tile type, I personally prefer the latter.
me to.
And another thing Purno, I wanted to take a look at those Utrecht Roofs you made, but they are actually quite wide, if I put two of those roofs next to each other there will only be like 6 pixels spacing between them, which is a really small amount considering their size. Maybe you could scale them down a bit.
They're covering the whole platforms, as they are gonna do IRL, IIRC.
Contributor to the The 2cc Set and Dutch Trainset. Inventor of the Metro concept. Retired Graphics Artist.
Image Image
Download TT | Latest TTDPatch | OpenTTD | OpenTTDCoop | BaNaNaS: OpenTTD content system | 2048² OTTD scenario of the Netherlands
GRF Codec | GRF Crawler | GRF Maker | Usefull graphics & tools sites | NML Documentation Wiki | NFO Documentation Wiki
All my graphics are licensed under GPL. "Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else."
XeryusTC
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by XeryusTC »

Purno wrote:
They're covering the whole platforms, as they are gonna do IRL, IIRC.
Well, they look very wide in TTD, I thought that they were overlapping the first time I looked at them. I could have screwed up somewhere though.
Don't panic - My YouTube channel - Follow me on twitter (@XeryusTC) - Play Tribes: Ascend - Tired of Dropbox? Try SpiderOak (use this link and we both get 1GB extra space)
OpenTTD: manual #openttdcoop: blog | wiki | public server | NewGRF pack | DevZone
Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Purno »

They can't be overlapping, that'd mean they'd be 16x2 pixels wide (diagonally).
Contributor to the The 2cc Set and Dutch Trainset. Inventor of the Metro concept. Retired Graphics Artist.
Image Image
Download TT | Latest TTDPatch | OpenTTD | OpenTTDCoop | BaNaNaS: OpenTTD content system | 2048² OTTD scenario of the Netherlands
GRF Codec | GRF Crawler | GRF Maker | Usefull graphics & tools sites | NML Documentation Wiki | NFO Documentation Wiki
All my graphics are licensed under GPL. "Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else."
XeryusTC
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by XeryusTC »

I've gotten permission from Born Acorn to use his buffer stops. I'm now photoshopping a bit to get them into the Dutch Station Set. I've attached my first mockup try, which took me some 10-15 minutes in Photoshop.
Attachments
buffer.png
buffer.png (1.62 KiB) Viewed 5088 times
Howling
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Howling »

On the overview station image: bottom right, is that Assen? :o I could finally build my hometown!
XeryusTC
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by XeryusTC »

Howling wrote:On the overview station image: bottom right, is that Assen? :o I could finally build my hometown!
There are quite some station buildings drawn, so it is possible ;).

Anyway, I finished coding (and photoshopping). The buffer stops don't look too great when put next to each other, so if someone with better drawing skills could improve that a bit I would be very thankfull :).
Attachments
My local copy of the buffer stops
My local copy of the buffer stops
buffer.png (2.61 KiB) Viewed 5070 times
The buffers as seen in-game
The buffers as seen in-game
coded.png (3.77 KiB) Viewed 5069 times
Born Acorn
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Born Acorn »

The backmost platform seems to overlap the buffers themselves. Try putting these sprites on the buffers again.

OzTrans
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by OzTrans »

XeryusTC wrote: ... buffer stops ...
It looks to me that you have included the rail tracks with the buffer stops. You should not have rail tracks anywhere in your set, they should come from the ground sprites (located in trg1r.grf), these you just reference. Otherwise, you'll get problems with 3rd party track systems, like narrow gauge.
Aegir
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Aegir »

OzTransLtd wrote:
It looks to me that you have included the rail tracks with the buffer stops. You should not have rail tracks anywhere in your set, they should come from the ground sprites (located in trg1r.grf), these you just reference. Otherwise, you'll get problems with 3rd party track systems, like narrow gauge.
What he said :)
Currently working under the name 'reldred' on Github, and Discord.
NFO/NML coder, part-time patch writer for JGRPP, and all round belligerent.

14:40 <orudge> I can't say I discriminate against any particular user
14:41 <Aegir> orudge: I can!
XeryusTC
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by XeryusTC »

OzTransLtd wrote:
I indeed have, I just got the buffer stops out of the newgrf coded by peter1138. I never changed anything of the ground sprites, I just added the platforms. I need an artist to fix everything for me I guess as I'm not too patient for it, nor do I have the skills for doing such stuff.
Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Purno »

The buffer stops don't look Dutch...
Image Image
Pug
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Pug »

IMO the stops do look Dutch. At least the one I know in Nijmegen is almost exactly copied. The only things that looks out of place are the platforms on both sides, but I guess that can't be helped in TT.
Hyronymus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Hyronymus »

There are a multitude of buffer stops in use in The Netherlands. The ones Xeryus used seem to be Dutch to me although the ones on Den Haag CS are totally different (in the way that they are modern).
Oz
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Oz »

'Ere ya go! Fixed:
- Platforms over buffers
- Track-type incompatibilities
- Brick pattern mismatches

Born Acorn: I had to adjust your buffers a bit to play nice with the narrow gauge. I hope that's alright.
Attachments
Dutch Buffers.png
Dutch Buffers.png (10.85 KiB) Viewed 4869 times
Arguments from authority carry little weight (in science there are no "authorities"). - Dr. Carl Sagan. "The Demon Haunted World"
ImageImage
XeryusTC
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by XeryusTC »

Thank you Oz :).
Attachments
coded.png
coded.png (3.37 KiB) Viewed 4850 times
Born Acorn
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Born Acorn »

Oz wrote:Born Acorn: I had to adjust your buffers a bit to play nice with the narrow gauge. I hope that's alright.
No problems with me. :wink:
XeryusTC
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Dutch stations set

Post by XeryusTC »

I'm a necromancer :D.

I present to you an alpha release of the Dutch Stations. I've fixed some bugs that were still in it today and it should do fine now. If you still run into something that you think that shouldn't be happening then you should send me an e-mail with how to replicate and a screenshot and I'll try to fix it.

Have fun testing/playing.

PS: this grf is made possible thanks to Aegir's Makefile.
PSS: please note that the curved roofs are bugged. They are not really playable.
Attachments
dutch_set.grf
dos
(63.6 KiB) Downloaded 90 times
dutchstatw.grf
windows
(85.53 KiB) Downloaded 143 times
XeryusTC
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by XeryusTC »

I will double post, for I have fixed the curved roofs (rewriten from scratch).

PS to artists: I noted that the platforms of the curved roofs are a a bit darker than the normal platforms. Check the newgrf and you'll notice.
Attachments
dutch_set.grf
dos
(63.6 KiB) Downloaded 93 times
dutchstatw.grf
windows
(87.5 KiB) Downloaded 125 times
daylight
Engineer
Engineer

Post by daylight »

darker platforms look like they could be shadows. is the same for simple roof. looks really good to me. great work!
now called mph

-mph- my initials- for a transport game! why did i never think about that before?!? -

i changed since i actually released something

Return to “Graphics Development”