UK Renewal Set - v3 1st of August 2006

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

The Irish
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by The Irish »

Good stuff, I used it in one of my old saves.

I really like it, the quality is just incredible. :D

On the positive side: I really love that reversing train feature. it looks great.
Would it be possible to implement it also on some of the EMUs, eg Voyager, Pendolino, HST etc?
Until now, I usually try to keep my trains "symetrical" meaning if I combine Passengers with Mail in a train, I always use 2 mail cars so that the I can place one at each end, or the two in the middle. Most of the time however, one mail car would be enough and the second one is empty. I do this, mainly because if there is only one, I don't like the mail car to jump to the other end of the train when it reverses. So with this callback, this could be avoided. I know I ask A LOT... :wink:

However, I also found a problem with the train reversing. on the Class 91, when I actually buy two engines (Ctrl) and place one at each end, then upon reversing, the new head actually faces the wrong way round. see second pic.

EDIT:

Please also have a look at the Century, Hydra and Wardale 604. I think the introduction years are borked... It sys 1925 or 1926 for those tree. seams a bit weird.
Attachments
Class 91 head is facing the wrong way round. Who was shunting this consist together???
Class 91 head is facing the wrong way round. Who was shunting this consist together???
wrong reverse.png (41.7 KiB) Viewed 3436 times
A "reversed" Class 91 is travelling towards its end destination... Great stuff!
A "reversed" Class 91 is travelling towards its end destination... Great stuff!
reverse.png (22.96 KiB) Viewed 3436 times
*** Ce French Train Set ***
*** Visit my transport related pictures on Flickr ***
ImageImageImageImageImage
Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch
"A committee is a group of men who individually can do nothing but as a group decide that nothing can be done" (Fred Allen 1894-1956 US radio comic).
m3henry
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by m3henry »

i dont see the point of having mail in a utility van and a utility truck when they have the same capacity could you minus the mail in the utility van OR the mail van. plse
oh and its 1927 and my utility van looks like its from the 1990's livery
and why 3x conflats
Last edited by m3henry on 18 Jun 2006 12:05, edited 1 time in total.
The occasional look back at your past can teach you a great many things...
Dave

Post by Dave »

Oh yes. Yes, yes, yessity yes!

I will gladly test.
Official TT-Dave Fan Club

Dave's Screenshot Thread! - Albion: A fictional Britain
Flickr

Why be a song when you can be a symphony? r is a...
Dave

Post by Dave »

m3henry wrote:i dont see the point of having mail in a utility van and a utility truck when they have the same capacity could you minus the mail in the utility van OR the mail van. plse
and why 3x conflats
It's realism. You're right that they're both the same, but I'm pretty sure that mail wasn't always hauled in dedicated mail vans - instead sometimes being put in with goods etc.

Pikka, are the Pax, Mail, Util vans intended to be so expensive at the start of the game?

Flickr

michael blunck
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by michael blunck »

[push-pull services]

> I really love that reversing train feature [...] However, [...]

Yes, the current "push-pull" feature needs some more patch-work. :)

ATM, it only works smooth with perfectly "symmetrical" consists, i.e. one class of coaches from the same time period (livery dependant) except the engine and the cab car.

In conclusion, for the DBXL I do handle this problem in a somewhat restrictive way:

- if a consist has an engine capable for push-pull service and a "cab car (driving trailer)" in the last position, that cab car is defined to be an "active cab car" and the train is defined to be a "push-pull train".

- now, if such a train includes a "wrong" wagon/coach like in picture 2 (a freight wagon) or in picture 3 (a coach of a different class), an appropriate error mesage will be issued and the train may not be moved (by use of CB31).

- OTOH, if you place a "wrong" car in such a way that the cab car isn´t anymore last on the consist, that cab car will be "de-activated" and the train will loose its "push-pull" ability (i.e. will "switch around" in the normal way again) and that "wrong" car may be allowed (pictures 1 and 4). (If at all the engine allows freight cars to be added).

O/c, those restrictions are for the time being only, there will be a perfect solution for a time after the final 2.5beta.

[edit] I meant "cab car". Sorry.

regards
Michael
Attachments
push-pull.png
push-pull.png (13.67 KiB) Viewed 3392 times
Last edited by michael blunck on 18 Jun 2006 12:31, edited 1 time in total.
PikkaBird
Graphics Moderator
Graphics Moderator

Post by PikkaBird »

m3henry wrote:i dont see the point of having mail in a utility van and a utility truck when they have the same capacity could you minus the mail in the utility van OR the mail van. plse
Why? Just don't use the utility van for mail, if you don't want to.
Looks alright to me. I think I might swap the early mail liveries between the mail van and the utility van though.
and why 3x conflats
They come in fixed articulated rakes - five wagons in reality, but I shortened it to three for ease of use in the game. However, they are buggy at the moment and haven't had their graphics updated yet.
Dave

Post by Dave »

Sorry to sound dumb about this, Michael, but can you explain what you mean by "control car"? I'm a little confused.

Flickr

PikkaBird
Graphics Moderator
Graphics Moderator

Post by PikkaBird »

Dave Worley wrote:Pikka, are the Pax, Mail, Util vans intended to be so expensive at the start of the game?
Yes. :P
The Irish wrote:So with this callback, this could be avoided. I know I ask A LOT...
No, it couldn't actually. The reversing feature just swaps the graphics of the first and last vehicle - as Michael said any cars inbetween will still "jump" if the consist is not symmetrical.
However, I also found a problem with the train reversing. on the Class 91, when I actually buy two engines (Ctrl) and place one at each end, then upon reversing, the new head actually faces the wrong way round. see second pic.
It's supposed to do that. The 91 has a fully functional cab in the flat end and will "run around" if it's not got a DVT (the tank engines, shunter and Class 20 also have this feature). I suppose I can make it so that doesn't happen if there are two 91s in the consist.

(Edit: I see that I already had the "is there only one?" check in for the Class 20, I don't know why I missed it for the 91.)
Please also have a look at the Century, Hydra and Wardale 604. I think the introduction years are borked... It sys 1925 or 1926 for those tree. seams a bit weird.
Presumably you've activated the set in an existing savegame. Do a cht:resetvehicles.
Last edited by PikkaBird on 18 Jun 2006 12:47, edited 3 times in total.
m3henry
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by m3henry »

he means a carrige that can control the engine at the other end (like a DMU

thanks pikka for bringing it out for fathers day. dad will like 8)
The occasional look back at your past can teach you a great many things...
Bad Hair Day
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Bad Hair Day »

It's fathers day? Oh crap...

Anyway, good work Pikka, more toys to play with.
My OpenTTD screenshot thread.

Formerly known as Lankku / 2-10-0
PikkaBird
Graphics Moderator
Graphics Moderator

Post by PikkaBird »

I thought it was in September, but there you go... :)
Born Acorn
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Born Acorn »

Countries that observe Father's Day on the third Sunday of June include Argentina, Canada, Chile, China, Colombia, Cuba, France, Hong Kong S.A.R., India, Pakistan, Ireland, Japan, Macao S.A.R., Malaysia, Malta, Mexico, the Netherlands, Panama, Peru, the Philippines, Singapore, Slovakia, South Africa, Turkey, the United Kingdom, the United States, Venezuela, and Zimbabwe.

Australia: first Sunday of September

Wierdos. :P
Dave

Post by Dave »

http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php? ... start=7560

See here for a screenshot using your new stuff Pikka. Looks pretty good I feel.

Flickr

TrueTenacity
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by TrueTenacity »

looking good bud...

Any word on a passenger car for the Maglev?
I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?
Dave

Post by Dave »

TrueTenacity wrote:looking good bud...

Any word on a passenger car for the Maglev?
I wrote:That's because that's not the passenger carrying MagLev train. The Gemini is the one that carries passengers.
There IS a MagLev passenger train. But you have to ctrl+click a unit every time to build a train up.

Buy a Gemini, then hold ctrl and buy another, and another. Until you have as many carriages as you wish. Then continue as normal.

Flickr

TrueTenacity
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by TrueTenacity »

I know that idea, and i'm using it, but oh my goodness, it makes the pax trains damn expensive 2 MILLION plus if you go up to 10/12 coaches...
I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?
Born Acorn
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Born Acorn »

I thought we all decided the current method was okay. Especially since you should be rich by the time maglev rolls around anyway. I was making £2 million a year on some of the prototype maglev routes. (I was using the big maps in OpenTTD at the time)

Besides, in reality maglev costs a bomb to build anyway. But instead of building hyper expensive tracks, the hyper expensive trains offset it.
TrueTenacity
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by TrueTenacity »

It really isn't a problem for me, close one 1 BILLION euro in liquid cash, but it just seems a little overkill when the other trains barely scratch 500 000 and a pax train is in the millions...
Dave

Post by Dave »

As I said before, Pikka's emphasis is on the Railways. I really think that a full conversion to MagLev would be inappropriate. It's impossible anyway, since there aren't wagons for every cargo type.

MagLev passenger transport is surely for the uber long new cross country route that you didn't build into your railway network.

Flickr

Born Acorn
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Born Acorn »

Yep. In my game I had two very large towns I gave a Concorde service years backwards in game. They had grown quite large, and had 4 thousand passengers on average. SO I connected them up with mail and maglev trains and each one was getting between £1.5million and £2 million a year. With four maglev trains, that adds up.
Last edited by Born Acorn on 22 Jun 2006 00:26, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Graphics Development”