"French Trains Set - freight rolling stock needs drawing

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

NekoMaster
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: "French Trains Set - freight rolling stock needs drawing

Post by NekoMaster »

kyosuke1989 wrote:Well. I made the B81500 sprites from scratch. I made them for Finnish Trainset, if it could utilize it as future hybrid unit. I post it here too, permission to use it freely.
Hopefully helps your work a bit..
*nods* Nice work :)
Image Proud Canadian Image
Nekomasters Projects! (Downloads available on BaNaNaS!) \(>^w^<)/
# NARS ADD-ON SET 2CC | 2cc Rapid Transit For Me! (2ccRTFM) | 2cc Wagons In NML (2ccWIN)
# NML Category System (Organize your GRFS!) <- TT-Forums Exclusive Download!
ignasigh
Engineer
Engineer

Post by ignasigh »

Hi!

You might consider including the Alstom's Prima EL2 which is new and will be available in a close future ;)

I can give you some specs if you need ....
Snail
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Snail »

You mean the BB75000? That's already in the list... or were you referring to a yet-to-be-released model?

We were also thinking about adding a CC-scheme diesel loco from the Prima project. That's not gonna be bought by SNCF, but we might add it to the set to add a really powerful, late diesel model :)
The French Narrow Gauge Train Set is now released! Get it here
ignasigh
Engineer
Engineer

Post by ignasigh »

Snail wrote:You mean the BB75000? That's already in the list... or were you referring to a yet-to-be-released model?

We were also thinking about adding a CC-scheme diesel loco from the Prima project. That's not gonna be bought by SNCF, but we might add it to the set to add a really powerful, late diesel model :)
http://www.transport.alstom.com/home/ne ... nts/prima/

I think it's quite new...
Snail
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Snail »

That's right, it looks like SNCF hasn't purchased any units from that series yet. Chances are they will have a complete fleet of them by the time the FRSet gets released though :P I think it would be worth it to add it as 2010 loco or so. Maybe in a couple of versions (BB for passengers and CC for freight).
Snail
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Snail »

After a very long brteak, here's an update about the progress on the French Set.

I have just completed all the steamers and the passenger cars for the narrow gauge section of the set. I'm attaching here a mockup of the animation and some of the possible consists in the set. Let's briefly go through what's inside.

- A very small tramway engine, like those that were so common in small towns around the turn of the century (row 1 of the mockup). It's the only not-animated steamer, because the rods were usually hidden by a kind of streamlining. It comes with its very small passenger and mail cars but, like in reality, will also be able to pull short freight wagons.
- An early, universal small 030 engine that will accomplish any light task. They were by far the most common narrow gauge locomotives in France. It will come in two flavors: a black single-cab one (row 2A and 2B, pulling respectively PO-Corrèze brown cars and Anjou green compartment coaches) and a green double-cab ("bicabine"), the latter commonly used for short-haul passenger service.
- A relatively fast yet cheap 120-type engine: a few companies used locomotives of the like, especially the narrow gauge network in Brittany (Réseau Bréton). In the mockup, row 3A shows it in its brown livery pulling old-style Réseau Bréton coaches, while row 3C shows its modernized version. Row 3B shows its black variant used elsewhere.
- A more powerful 031-type locomotive. The boiler was a little bit longer to give extra power, but this made it necessary to add one extra supporting axle behind the driving wheels. Row 4A shows the version that ran in Corsica, pulling early long coaches of that network; row 4B shows another variant of it, used in the "La Mure" mountain network, pulling its characteristic short 3-axle passenger coaches.
- A Mallet 020-020 variant, developed in the end of the XIX century with power and tractive effort in mind. Row 5A shows its PO-Corrèze variant with its brown passenger cars; row 5B shows a Corsican engine of this type, with express coaches; row 5C shows the variant used in the Réseau Bréton.
- Another Mallet, the 030-030, more powerful evolution of the latter. Row 6A shows a Swiss-built engine of this type used in the "Vivarais" network, pulling early long passenger coaches; rows 6B and 6C have a more modern variant of the same network, with express-like coaches; row 6D shows this engine in the Réseau Bréton variant.
- The fastest narrow gauge steamer is the 230 of the Réseau Bréton, shown in row 7.
- One of the most powerful engines is the Swiss-built 150, of which only two units were actually built; mainly a freight engine, it can nevertheless also be used for passenger service when steep grades are a problem. In row 8 it's displayed with generic early long passenger coaches.
- In the Twenties, the universal 030 engine will be released in a revised, more modern version. It's available in the set in four variants: rows 9A and 9B show two of them.
- At the same period, a 040 industrial engine will also be released. Mainly a freight engine, it can also be used to haul passengers anyway (row 10).
- As the ultimate narrow gauge steam evolution, a 141 engine will be released right after WWII. Most of these engines were actually delivered to the colonies, but a few of them made it to the few surviving narrow gauge networks in France.

The animation displays one variant for each type. From top to bottom, it shows: the early 030; the late 030; the Corsica 031; the black 120; the green 040; the 230; the 150; the two Mallets; and the most recent 141.

Our coder, Mart3p, has already got the sprites and each engine's information. I will be working on some freight wagons right now, so maybe we might release a taster with this stuff in the next months.

Constructive criticism is appreciated! :D

Cheers
Attachments
Mockup of possible consists
Mockup of possible consists
mockup0.png (17.58 KiB) Viewed 5266 times
Animations!!
Animations!!
vapeur_métrique.gif (25.43 KiB) Viewed 5265 times
vapeur_métrique.zip
Zipfile of steamers
(63.31 KiB) Downloaded 164 times
Lord Aro
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Lord Aro »

someone actually did animated wheels!?
there must only be about three pixels difference in each sprite (is that the right word?)
AroAI - A really feeble attempt at an AI

It is practically impossible to teach good programming to students that have had a prior exposure to BASIC: as potential programmers they are mentally mutilated beyond hope of regeneration. --Edsger Dijkstra
Snail
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Snail »

Lord Aro wrote:someone actually did animated wheels!?
there must only be about three pixels difference in each sprite (is that the right word?)
Well, a little bit more than that. It depends on the engine type. The animated rods connect all of the driving wheels, so the engines with many driving axles (4 or 5) get a more visible animation.

However, I don't think ours is the only set around featuring animated steamers... For instance, the Dutch steamers are animated too.
Pingaware
Director
Director

Post by Pingaware »

As far as I can see, the engines look wonderful. It's nice to see such a comprehensive cover of engines in an area.
andythenorth
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by andythenorth »

Snail wrote:After a very long brteak, here's an update about the progress on the French Set.
Hi Snail,

I'm very much looking forward to this, looks like it's going to be a great set.

It's interesting that there will be Corsican trains. I've never played a realistic scenario before, but Corsica would be the perfect size for an island map...

cheers,

Andy
The Irish
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by The Irish »

Great looking stuff, snail. Real nice.

Keep up the good work and keep them shiny sprites coming.
*** Ce French Train Set ***
*** Visit my transport related pictures on Flickr ***
ImageImageImageImageImage
Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch
"A committee is a group of men who individually can do nothing but as a group decide that nothing can be done" (Fred Allen 1894-1956 US radio comic).
jvassie
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by jvassie »

Absolutely stunning work Snail! :D
(British) Modular Stations Set - Thread: | Website:
Swiss Set - Thread: | Website:
Route Map Creator
My Screenshot Thread
Chico008
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Chico008 »

Very nice job, can't wait to have a working NewGRF, wich uses new cargo introduced by ECS and Pikka's ^^

EDIT by Hyronymus: please don't post non-English text.
NekoMaster
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by NekoMaster »

Chico008 wrote:Very nice job, can't wait to have a working NewGRF, wich uses new cargo introduced by ECS and Pikka's ^^

Tres beau boulot, vivement le GRF pour jouer avec, qui prend en charge les cargo des ECS et de Pikka's ^^
Nah, would prefer it to be able to work with FIRS too, its less cumber some and is prety fun to play. plus it allows regearing of trains in NARS2
Image Proud Canadian Image
Nekomasters Projects! (Downloads available on BaNaNaS!) \(>^w^<)/
# NARS ADD-ON SET 2CC | 2cc Rapid Transit For Me! (2ccRTFM) | 2cc Wagons In NML (2ccWIN)
# NML Category System (Organize your GRFS!) <- TT-Forums Exclusive Download!
bwong
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by bwong »

excuse me, but what is the latest release for this set, and I did acknowledge j.vassie (right?) taster set. But that taster set doesn't contain a lot of engines/locomotives (5 I believe). Looking at the entire thread, there are many locomotives that seem complete, so is it just me that those engines don't appear or are they not included?
Check out some of my work
jvassie
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by jvassie »

Well, if they're drawn, and not in the taster set, then obviously they haven't been released yet :wink:

All in good time.
(British) Modular Stations Set - Thread: | Website:
Swiss Set - Thread: | Website:
Route Map Creator
My Screenshot Thread
bwong
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by bwong »

thank you
Check out some of my work
Snail
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Snail »

Some coding work is going on behind the scenes.

Although I can't promise any release date, I'm working on accumulating some coding skills myself (thanks to a very, very qualified help ;) ) so hopefully the vehicles in this thread will eventually make it in a game.

The first taster to be released will concern the narrow gauge part of this set. Just don't hold your breath! :)
Coxx
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Coxx »

The trains are looking great. Corsican trains - how nice!
If I remember correctly there were also 050 Tank Engines on Corsica, if there is a need for something more powerfull matching the Corsican trains.
Will the wagons have a livery override? And will there be Billard Autorails?

I´m really looking forward to the test version.
Snail
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Snail »

Thanks for the interest! :D

There will be two Corsican steamers: the 031T and the 020 020T Mallet described in this page. Since it was originally designed for the African colonies, I didn't feel it was necessary to include the 050T in the set...
If more power is needed, you will always be able to use two Mallets in double traction, or wait until the Brissonneau-Lotz diesels get introduced ;)

Ad for the railcars, of course there will be the Billards (the A80D model) and some Renaults (the ABH1 and ABH8). I was also thinking about adding the early Crochats.

The test version is under construction! Stay tuned ;)

Return to “Graphics Development”