New South Wales Rail Set[Testers Needed!]

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

Would you support the changing of the set to NSWGR? See Post.

Yes
68%
No
9%
Uncertain
23%

Total votes: 94

jabberwalkee_
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by jabberwalkee_ »

I suspectd that it was a dual guage type system (but i diddn't want to look like too much of an ass if it was something more obvious). Now I know why the guage makes such a difference......I never realised just how different the sizes were!
coalroads artist
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

NSW pics

Post by coalroads artist »

Here is some of my NSW pics.As you can see they arn't exactly reskined but do need a little touchup because of sprite restrictions were i painted them.If the group is happy with these pics I would be glad to repaint them properly with the desired sized sprites.Some of the pics i would like to change like the 48 class as they were my first locos and I have developed better skills since then.Also some faults are visible because of sprite sizes (clipped roofs) and placement (one tender for 38 and 35 ).I have more completed but just wanted give a taste of what my work is like.Also had a go at some australian scenery experimentally.Only a tileplate, a gumtree, barbwire fence and some lowerquad signals completed.
Attachments
38 with HUB flyer set pass a 44 and 48 class on some Aurora cars
38 with HUB flyer set pass a 44 and 48 class on some Aurora cars
38 pass.png (12.99 KiB) Viewed 5179 times
coalroads artist
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

NSW pics 2

Heres a small lineup
Attachments
CPH,620/720,C38,C35,44,48,flyer set,FO passenger-tuscan and russet, NLGX lourve van, General NSW coal hoppers.
CPH,620/720,C38,C35,44,48,flyer set,FO passenger-tuscan and russet, NLGX lourve van, General NSW coal hoppers.
NSWR lineup.png (6.73 KiB) Viewed 5173 times
BobDendry
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by BobDendry »

They look pretty good. I look forward to seeing more of your work
Formerly known as Lachie
mdhowe
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by mdhowe »

Excellent, the scenery looks very realistic except I think the grid should be a bit more brown.

I especially like that gum tree. Good work!
"Set fashion, not follow. Spit vitriol, not swallow" - Marilyn Manson
ThorRune
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by ThorRune »

Great, but on the middle train, the yellow lines seem to bright
Alcohol is not the answer, it just makes you forget the question.
jabberwalkee_
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by jabberwalkee_ »

They are a little fluro aren't they?!
ThorRune
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by ThorRune »

They stand to much out from the rest. Catch teh eye.
Alcohol is not the answer, it just makes you forget the question.
Villem
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Villem »

Nice Rolling Stock :D , and i love the trains too.
Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Purno »

Wow looks very nice! :shock:
Contributor to the The 2cc Set and Dutch Trainset. Inventor of the Metro concept. Retired Graphics Artist.
Image Image
Download TT | Latest TTDPatch | OpenTTD | OpenTTDCoop | BaNaNaS: OpenTTD content system | 2048² OTTD scenario of the Netherlands
GRF Codec | GRF Crawler | GRF Maker | Usefull graphics & tools sites | NML Documentation Wiki | NFO Documentation Wiki
All my graphics are licensed under GPL. "Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else."
Raichase
Moderizzle
Moderizzle
Location: Sydney, Australia. Usually at work in the underground railway station...

Post by Raichase »

ThorRune wrote:Great, but on the middle train, the yellow lines seem to bright
Thats mostly the governments fault actually :P. They are a little bright, but they are pretty close to reality.

Those pictures, and the landscape looks really good!
Posted by Raichase. Visit my Flickr! Gallery, Blog (get a feed of everyone at once at Planet TT-Forums).
Raichase - Perfect timing, all the time: [13:37] * Now talking in #tycoon
ImageImage
Official TT-Dave Worley Fan Club
Official TT-Andel-in-a-pink-hat Fan Club
Lightglobe
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by Lightglobe »

My only comlaint on the landscape is that tile edges shouldn't be so heavy. It just seems the grid is to pronounced(sp?).

Other than that, that some pretty nice work.
Yarr, thar princess is in 'nother castle!

[16:28] <marcf> lol cant u comine ttd and ottd
[16:29] <marcf> (please don't take me seriously)
jacke
Director
Director

Post by jacke »

Yeah, very nice :D. I agree with Lightglobe though...
Flavius
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Flavius »

Hi coalroads artist

Positively like everything about your posts. From the locos through to the backgrounds that appear like grain areas in central NSW. Is that a eucalypt in one of the pics :?: We are reallygetting somewhere. :P
Flavius
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Flavius »

Hi ttdx_artist

Without any doubt, the steam engines are the hardest to draw. For mine the USA sets Big Boy and AC6 graphics , are the yardstick. Particularly the former. 8)

Personally i think your graphic for the Beyer Garrett provides a starting point, it is really a basic outlline. The detail will be hard to do. :?

Seems like the Beyer Garrett is a normal locomotive in the middle with power wheels under the water tanker and coal truck. Appears there are no power wheels under the central locomotive, must have been shafts going forward and aft to the powered vehicles. :idea:
krtaylor
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by krtaylor »

Have you seen the Garratt in the Tropicset?
Development Projects Site:
http://www.as-st.com/ttd
Japan, American Transition, Planeset, and Project Generic Stations available there
ttdx_artist
Banned Troll

Post by ttdx_artist »

yeh, the garratt was like 2 locomtotives with 1 boiler, i must admit, you saying that the garratt had a shaft between the drivers is one of the funniest things i've read for ages, i was on the floor in histerics... anyway,
Coalroads: The 38 and 35 needs a longer front platform, the nose sticks out to far, the CPH looks great, the 48 has a slightmix-up with the walkway at the front... it needs to keep in line. the aurora cars are good, but the corners look too round, thats an easy 2min shading fix tho...maybe change the colour of the cream lines on the RUB set, by changing the colour to something less bold, it makes the line look thinner :wink: , same deal with the yellow "whiskers" on the 44, i already have a SAR 930 on a previous page, so you can repaint that if you want, or just extend your loco to the same dimentions. Other than that... scenery looks great!!! And yes, i have seen the garratt from the tropic set, that topic was mention a few pages ago... and the garratt doesn't need to much detail, because if you draw pipes in TTD, they woould look about a metre wide, but i'll fiddle with colours... so far thats the only feed back on it tho... so until i hear more....I WILL NOT CONTINUE.... i am not spending hours drawing, and then everyone says, "No, i dont like it", so for f**ks sake guys... gimme feedback, or i'll just stop drawing!!!
Flavius
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Flavius »

There are no drive wheels under Garrett locomotive, This link shows what i mean.
http://www.ngltc.org/trains-tl.html

Kind of think this pic is ideal for painting a graphic for Beyer Garrett. 8)
Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Purno »

ttdx_artist (in PM) wrote:you say that you prefer to draw passenger than freight...?perfect...i'll do you a deal... i need passenger sets done for various australian express trains... and you need ppl to draw the cargo-set...are you catching on? got to the ausset forum to view my stuff that i have posted... and then tell me if you want in.
Although I rejected this offer before, IIRC, I changed my mind. It's not that I actually make a deal (passenger trains <--> freight carriages), but I might want to help.

I didn't have the 'time' to read the whole thread but I saw some good 'screenies' (are they real?). Does this set already have a coder?

Anyways, give me a picture of a train you want drawn and when I find some time I might be able to draw it. :wink:
Contributor to the The 2cc Set and Dutch Trainset. Inventor of the Metro concept. Retired Graphics Artist.
Image Image
Download TT | Latest TTDPatch | OpenTTD | OpenTTDCoop | BaNaNaS: OpenTTD content system | 2048² OTTD scenario of the Netherlands
GRF Codec | GRF Crawler | GRF Maker | Usefull graphics & tools sites | NML Documentation Wiki | NFO Documentation Wiki
All my graphics are licensed under GPL. "Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else."
coalroads artist
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

post subject

Thanks for the input :) .TTDX_artist:I will try changing the features you reconmended but i don't know about the colours.I will try and compromise but want to represent the liveries as realistic as possible , i do admit the yellow is a bit bright on the reverse livered 48s but not too severe on the 44.Good point though with making lines look smalller with paler colours.I have found it is hard to get the right colour look when some colours hue changes when painted together.I will put some actual sprites up once i've finished modifying them, the 48s a going to get a changed signifigantly.I'll put the 38 sprites up first so you can compare them with your 38 once i've changed mine.I have just read about the different res you had on the Auset pic.Dose the XPT have a candy livery, because i was painting such with your XPT sprites, also doing countrylink livery but changing a few details as it looks bland with countrylink scheme.Also if any request is made for any sprite pics, i may be a bit slow producing them as i only have net acess through local libary and need to bring files with me before getting the chance to read the forum.

In regard to narrow guage i think it is a great idea espiecally for an Australian set , it will make our set appealing if it replaces mono/mag.We still need some futuristic units (TGV speed QR tilt train and some high hp/fuelcell locos even for narrow guage).I think the best option would be standard, daulguage electric and narrow as NSW has some good distances covered by eletric lines (short north,Lithgow/blue mt crossing/Illawarra wich all conveyed good amounts of frieght before 85/86s were sadly withdrawn) justifying the need for both standard and narrow guage electric.I experimented with some narrow gauge pics last night found it is possible to create good looking daulguage and narrow looking lines from the 3d view.
Attachments
narrow comparision
narrow comparision
narrowid.png (1.67 KiB) Viewed 4879 times

Return to “Graphics Development”