Set with vehicles that don't really exists.

Got an idea for a new feature in TTDPatch? Post it here.

Moderator: TTDPatch Moderators

Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Set with vehicles that don't really exists.

Post by Purno »

I've thought about a vehicle set with vehicles that don't really exists.

Just some artists who draw some cool looking trains, without having to worry that they don't exactly look the same as an existing train. (And same for some road vehicles/ships/aircraft/whatever.

But to start such a project I need some things:

- Some graphics artists which would like to draw such vehicles
- Some coders who would like to code .nfo files
- Some people that are going to use this set.

What do you think about this idea?
Contributor to the The 2cc Set and Dutch Trainset. Inventor of the Metro concept. Retired Graphics Artist.
Image Image
Download TT | Latest TTDPatch | OpenTTD | OpenTTDCoop | BaNaNaS: OpenTTD content system | 2048² OTTD scenario of the Netherlands
GRF Codec | GRF Crawler | GRF Maker | Usefull graphics & tools sites | NML Documentation Wiki | NFO Documentation Wiki
All my graphics are licensed under GPL. "Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else."
Szappy
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by Szappy »

I think this could be a very good idea, maybe it should couple up with (and bring back to life) the toyland2mars project. I know George did the terrain graphics, and some of the vehicles, but there are very good ideas about renaming and repainting the industries, and that set also needs new vehicles...

Somewhere here I read an excellent industry chain that does not need any changes in the industry vectors (accept-produce figures), just the names changed. Could you draw futuristic vehicles for those weird types of cargoes?

BTW did you read my guide and conclusions about brigde graphics? If yes, are you planning to do an update on your graphics? If you drew the bridge sprites in a form similar to the ttd ones, I'd volunteer to turning them into grf's. I'm sorry but I lak any graphic skills so I can't do any drawing (even inserting graphic pieces together).
Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Purno »

Actually I didn't mean futuristic vehicles. But is that really necessary?

BTW: I did read (some of) your guide but changing those bridges is no fun because now they look fine. I know that some of my bridges are compatible with some other bridges from TTD system.

Anyway, about that mars project: Who is working on it? Where can I find it?
Contributor to the The 2cc Set and Dutch Trainset. Inventor of the Metro concept. Retired Graphics Artist.
Image Image
Download TT | Latest TTDPatch | OpenTTD | OpenTTDCoop | BaNaNaS: OpenTTD content system | 2048² OTTD scenario of the Netherlands
GRF Codec | GRF Crawler | GRF Maker | Usefull graphics & tools sites | NML Documentation Wiki | NFO Documentation Wiki
All my graphics are licensed under GPL. "Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else."
Szappy
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by Szappy »

Purno wrote:Actually I didn't mean futuristic vehicles. But is that really necessary?
Not necessary, I like any of your graphics so far, so I'm sure I'll like them too.
BTW: I did read (some of) your guide but changing those bridges is no fun because now they look fine. I know that some of my bridges are compatible with some other bridges from TTD system.
Your last bridge if just marvelous, I'd like to turn it into the ttd suspension bridge, but I can't do the graphics part. Oh well... :(
Anyway, about that mars project: Who is working on it? Where can I find it?
http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php? ... ct&start=0
Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Purno »

Can I start drawing vehicles already?

I don't have any internet at home so I can't reach this forum in the weekend.

EDIT: And tomorrow I am not at school.
Image Image
Bastiaan
Chairman
Chairman

Post by Bastiaan »

Very good idea, Purno!
I always like not-excisting trains. I always design phantasy trains for my own phantasy railway company on my own phantasy railway network in my own phantasy-land! :D

Maybe we could add some of my phantasy trains to this set :idea:

Bastiaan
George
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by George »

Szappy wrote:I think this could be a very good idea, maybe it should couple up with (and bring back to life) the toyland2mars project. I know George did the terrain graphics, and some of the vehicles, but there are very good ideas about renaming and repainting the industries, and that set also needs new vehicles...
Somewhere here I read an excellent industry chain that does not need any changes in the industry vectors (accept-produce figures), just the names changed. Could you draw futuristic vehicles for those weird types of cargoes?
I don't know such a good vector. Please, point me.
As far as I remember, all of them are ok only in 2 chains from 3, but not more.
Szappy
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by Szappy »

George wrote:I don't know such a good vector. Please, point me.
As far as I remember, all of them are ok only in 2 chains from 3, but not more.
The one here:
http://www.tt-forums.net//files/marssys.gif
with the following substitutions:
candyfloss->farm, sugar->salt, toffee->vitamin, sweet fact->food plant
plastic->lava, batterries->forest, toy fact->coal fact, toy shop->power stat
cola->oxigen, bubbles->hydrogen, fizzy drink fact->h2o plant

This chain is perfect, except for some graphical issues:
-the coal factory and the h2o plant graphics need swapping because of the original chain (so the h2o plant cannot be animated except for palette animations but I guess it's okay since the water is aleady animated. The coal factory needs a conveyor belt like animation)
-the power station cannot be animated except for palette animations and needs reworking (the toy shop is much smaller)
-cola wells aren't animated, so oxigen filters cannot be either (only palette), and I don't know about bubble gens (they seem static, only the bubbles animate)
-sorry to say, but some animated tiles get wasted (plastic fountains -> lava wells, which only needs palette animation)

there are so great artists around (to start with you) that some solutions surely will be found

BTW I've read your guide of making graphics, but it does not contain anything about making the nfo files, could you make a guide to explain usage of those (I'd be interested in the usage of parameters in particular, but not exclusively) I'm an absolute beginner in these field, but I'd like to learn it. I cannot draw, but I'd like to make a bridge set out of Purno's excellent graphics, could you help me with that?
GoneWacko
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by GoneWacko »

How about finishing some other sets before starting yet another one?
GoneWacko. Making [url=irc://irc.oftc.net/tycoon]#tycoon[/url] sexy and exciting since 1784.
Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Purno »

GoneWacko wrote:How about finishing some other sets before starting yet another one?
The most time goes to coding nfo files. There are lots of my graphics waiting to be coded.
Bastiaan wrote:Maybe we could add some of my phantasy trains to this set
Let me see them :D
Image Image
Oracle
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Oracle »

Purno wrote:
GoneWacko wrote:How about finishing some other sets before starting yet another one?
The most time goes to coding nfo files. There are lots of my graphics waiting to be coded.
The sooner the US set's finished, the sooner I might do some nfos for other graphics...
i.e. if someone could draw some of the few remaining vehicles for it then it'll be better for everyone :wink:.
It doesn't actually take too long to code nfo files except for a big set but I really don't have the time to do anything but the US set at the moment.
Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Purno »

Oracle wrote:i.e. if someone could draw some of the few remaining vehicles for it then it'll be better for everyone :wink:.
Is there any table or html-page showing trains that needs to be drawn, like with the Japanese Trainset? If there is one, gimme link and I might draw some vehilces you need.
Image Image
Villem
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Villem »

Make Toyland a Tileset set in Fictional future..
Oracle
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Oracle »

Purno wrote:
Oracle wrote:i.e. if someone could draw some of the few remaining vehicles for it then it'll be better for everyone :wink:.
Is there any table or html-page showing trains that needs to be drawn, like with the Japanese Trainset? If there is one, gimme link and I might draw some vehilces you need.
http://www.as-st.com/ttd/usa/trains.html
The green, yellow and orange ones need drawing (except the Colorado DMU). Also see one of my recent posts (http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?p=158266#158266) for the exact list of what is prioritised.
Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Purno »

1. Oracle, I only see 1 green car in the list, all others are yellow, orange or red, which means they are made or going to be made by someone else.

2. I've made some non-existing train-sprites.
Attachments
Non-existing trains
Non-existing trains
Trains.png (10.31 KiB) Viewed 7820 times
Image Image
Oracle
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Oracle »

Look at http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?p=158601#158601
Born Acorn's stopped doing work on the set so some of his work needs redoing/updating/changing. The table's not accurate in that respect.
Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Purno »

Oracle, do you have some photos of only the trains that need te be drawn. (And if there are some sprites already, can you gimme these too).

I think it's a bit 'unhandy' when I've a list somewhere and I've photo's elsewhere.
Image Image
Oracle
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Oracle »

Sorry for trying to get you to work to find stuff. If you'd been with us all along then you'd know where to look for what but you haven't.

Things that really could do with drawing are:
Turbotrain mail carriages (and possibly updating the passenger carriages and engine too): just draw a mail carriage to match it; we haven't got any precise pictures

Budd "Metropolitan" M-2 EMUs with pantographs down
http://www.geocities.com/mtarailroads/MNR_M2_8471.JPG

EMD SD70ACe
http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=58999

There are also some freight cars to complete if that takes your fancy instead such as drawing some steel coil cars (basically up to your imagination but some are a bit like http://freight.railfan.ca/up/up242019.jpg, opening up to show coils inside) and also putting cars on DanMack's open car transporter (http://www.as-st.com/ttd/usa/images/openrack.png).

Thanks.
tycoonk4
Engineer
Engineer

Re: Set with vehicles that don't really exists.

Post by tycoonk4 »

:D :D Can you make a cool looking steam engine that is not real?
Badger
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Set with vehicles that don't really exists.

Post by Badger »

tycoonk4 wrote::D :D Can you make a cool looking steam engine that is not real?
Good god, you've just posted in a topic that's been dead for over 4 years! I realise you're new here but posting in dead topics with daft comments like that will only land you in trouble. I'd suggest reading the forum rules asap.
|||| My OTTD/TTDP pics ||||Currently slighty obsessed with getting Platinum Trophies||||Retired moderator||||

Return to “Suggestions”