One way roads should have double capacity

Got an idea for a new feature in TTDPatch? Post it here.

Moderator: TTDPatch Moderators

Nixx
Engineer
Engineer

One way roads should have double capacity

Post by Nixx »

Tried searching, but 'one way' is too short.

I had a one way road, and a vehicle broke down. Traffic got backed up behind it instead of passing it. Since it's one way traffic should use both sides of the street.

On a related note, it'd be nice if you could make intersections be one way (continuation of the one way road that is at the intersection).
wallyweb
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: One way roads should have double capacity

Post by wallyweb »

Nixx wrote:Tried searching, but 'one way' is too short.

I had a one way road, and a vehicle broke down. Traffic got backed up behind it instead of passing it. Since it's one way traffic should use both sides of the street..
Check out this thread. You'll have to read all of it as its not documented in the TTDPatch manual. I don't know if it's still in the patch.
Nixx
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Nixx »

Hm. I'm a little confused. I got here from the OpenTTD wiki, but you mention TTDPatch. It looks like they aren't the same thing, but OpenTTD can use things from TTDPatch?

It looks like that patch would affect overtaking on all roads, not just one way? Not quite what I had in mind, heh.

Thanks for the help.
wallyweb
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by wallyweb »

Nixx wrote:Hm. I'm a little confused. I got here from the OpenTTD wiki, but you mention TTDPatch. It looks like they aren't the same thing, but OpenTTD can use things from TTDPatch?

It looks like that patch would affect overtaking on all roads, not just one way? Not quite what I had in mind, heh.

Thanks for the help.
You're welcome. Unfortunately it is a TTDPatch switch and would not work in OTTD. That said, I have had good luck with it on one-way roads.
On another note, I get the impression that you are making every tile on a one=way road as one-way. You should only have to make one tile one-way ... the exit tile ... which prevents RVs from entering the wrong way. Of course you would need to repeat this wherever your one-way road encounters an intersection. I assume that this would be just as true for OTTD as it would be for TTDPatch.
Nixx
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Nixx »

wallyweb wrote:On another note, I get the impression that you are making every tile on a one=way road as one-way. You should only have to make one tile one-way ... the exit tile ... which prevents RVs from entering the wrong way.
At first I was just doing one tile, but I thought there might be different rules (more lanes) for one way roads so I tried making the whole thing be one way. It didn't change anything.

OpenTTD/TTDPatch are really cool, greatly improved from the original, but little things like more realistic one way roads would be nice.
wallyweb
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by wallyweb »

Nixx wrote:... but little things like more realistic one way roads would be nice.
Check out the North American Roads Set, if you haven't already tried it ... It features "Do Not Enter/Stop" signs instead of the green arrows. 8)
WWTBAM

Post by WWTBAM »

OpenTTD does have one way roads http://wiki.openttd.org/wiki/index.php/ ... nstruction and scroll down to one way roads if you are using OpenTTD.
Formerly known as r0b0t_b0y2003, robotboy, roboboy and beclawat. The best place to get the most recent nightly builds of TTDPatch is: http://roboboy.users.tt-forums.net/TTDPatch/nightlies/
DaleStan
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by DaleStan »

Nixx wrote:Hm. I'm a little confused. I got here from the OpenTTD wiki, but you mention TTDPatch.
That would be because you posted in the TTDPatch section.
Nixx wrote:It looks like they aren't the same thing, but OpenTTD can use things from TTDPatch?
Correct. They are the same thing in about the same way that Windows and Linux are the same thing, and each can use things from the other in about the same way that Windows and Linux can each use things from the other.
Nixx wrote:It looks like that patch would affect overtaking on all roads, not just one way?
That is correct. On the other hand, it does give an excellent place to start looking when it comes to providing different params/behaviour for one-way roads -- for TTDPatch, anyway.
Or different behaviour for broken-down vehicles.
wallyweb wrote:I don't know if it's still in the patch.
It's still there. And in the right category now, too.
robotboy wrote:OpenTTD does have one way roads
I suspect Nixx already knows that.
To get a good answer, ask a Smart Question. Similarly, if you want a bug fixed, write a Useful Bug Report. No TTDPatch crashlog? Then follow directions.
Projects: NFORenum (download) | PlaneSet (Website) | grfcodec (download) | grfdebug.log parser
WWTBAM

Post by WWTBAM »

DaleStan wrote:
Nixx wrote:Hm. I'm a little confused. I got here from the OpenTTD wiki, but you mention TTDPatch.
That would be because you posted in the TTDPatch section.
Nixx wrote:It looks like they aren't the same thing, but OpenTTD can use things from TTDPatch?
Correct. They are the same thing in about the same way that Windows and Linux are the same thing, and each can use things from the other in about the same way that Windows and Linux can each use things from the other.
Nixx wrote:It looks like that patch would affect overtaking on all roads, not just one way?
That is correct. On the other hand, it does give an excellent place to start looking when it comes to providing different params/behaviour for one-way roads -- for TTDPatch, anyway.
Or different behaviour for broken-down vehicles.
wallyweb wrote:I don't know if it's still in the patch.
It's still there. And in the right category now, too.
robotboy wrote:OpenTTD does have one way roads
I suspect Nixx already knows that.
that was mostly at wallyweb
Formerly known as r0b0t_b0y2003, robotboy, roboboy and beclawat. The best place to get the most recent nightly builds of TTDPatch is: http://roboboy.users.tt-forums.net/TTDPatch/nightlies/
wallyweb
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by wallyweb »

robotboy wrote:that was mostly at wallyweb
Yep ... And I did address the OTTD point with Nixx while suggesting in a round about way that one-way road behaviour is largely similar in both renditions. The only exception that I know of is TTDPatch's switch parameters to adjust overtaking behaviour.

@Nixx ... It does not matter whether a road is one-way or not, overtaking is a fact of life and should be the same for both types of roads. What the Patch's switch addresses is the distance a vehicle has to complete the overtaking maneuver, which, with the right settings, can be quite exciting in the face of oncoming traffic. 8)
WWTBAM

Post by WWTBAM »

I thought One way roads were treated by the game like corners and therefore wont let vehicles overtake on them and thats why only the start and end need to be one way.
wallyweb
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by wallyweb »

Yes, I think roboboy is right about the "one-way" tile forcing traffic to one side. However, the reason I use only one at the exit is why do all those others when only one is needed. Now long dead Ancestor used to say "You only need to kill the mastodon once".

I'm not sure about OTTD, but in the Patch, once the driver sneaks past the "gate" you have to keep an eye on him for a bit until you're sure he will obey the laws (routing schedule) because if you don't, he might do all kinds of crazy stuff like u-turns in heavy traffic. Choose your route wisely.

... Which gives way to another suggestion ... Police Cars to hand out traffic tickets and tow trucks to clean up the mess.
I'll go hide now.
:mrgreen:

Return to “Suggestions”