Ship Tunnel!

Got an idea for a new feature in TTDPatch? Post it here.

Moderator: TTDPatch Moderators

wallyweb
Tycoon
Tycoon

Ship Tunnel!

Post by wallyweb »

Summon the Patchman!
Call up the eis_os!
Get the Csaboka's tail back here!
JGR! Where are you?

Norway says they can do it in five years after government approval in 2009! That means 2014 before the first ship goes through!

We can do it in four years! From now! 2011!

Ship Tunnels!
We can beat them to the punch!
:lol:
eis_os
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Re: Ship Tunnel!

Post by eis_os »

To be exact I don't see a benefit in spending time for such a project.
The graphical glitches would be horrible currently anyway... A tunnel would never look right for a TTD Ships. Nah...
TTDPatch dev in retirement ... Search a grf, try Grf Crawler 0.9 - now with even faster details view and new features...
JGR
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by JGR »

I am busy on other things, and will also be going on holiday for ~2.5 weeks on Thursday.
I am doing some work on the advorders switch, and without giving it away, the function I'm currently working on is: vehorderwinitemoffsetshiftcorrectorhook_hook :wink:

Furthermore, the graphical glitches already omnipresent with any sort of ship display would be merely compounded and so further addle the graphics artists... Aqueducts and canals (and bridges, and ships passing through each other, and a few other things) have unsolved clipping/overlapping problems, never mind tunnels...

To see what I mean, somebody recently made an OpenTTD patch. Don't expect good results there either...
Ex TTDPatch Coder
Patch Pack, Github
wallyweb
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by wallyweb »

JGR wrote:vehorderwinitemoffsetshiftcorrectorhook_hook
:? /me consults several esoteric religious texts and a stack of encyclopedias, visits the libraries at M.I.T., the Vatican and Alexandria (shush ... they snuck out the books before they burned it), travels to Greece to listen to the Oracles and to New Mexico to observe a Navajo Sand Painter, tosses the rune stones and finally seeks the words of a wise man sitting atop a mountain in Tibet.

AHA! and EUREKA! A translation ... :D

"I'm_off_the_hook_on_this_one" synonym "Nah ..." :(
Dave

Post by Dave »

Might be impossible but not at all unrealistic.

There are literally miles of canal tunnels in the West Midlands. There's a huge network around Dudley with tunnels over 2 miles long in places.
Official TT-Dave Fan Club

Dave's Screenshot Thread! - Albion: A fictional Britain
Flickr

Why be a song when you can be a symphony? r is a...
Hyronymus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Hyronymus »

I think aquaducts are more fun to have.
eis_os
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by eis_os »

I didn't say it's impossible, generally it should be quite easy considering patches like orders or other stuff, like a pathfinder, or canals/rivers as whole :)
My todolist is filled without a lot stuff since some years...
TTDPatch dev in retirement ... Search a grf, try Grf Crawler 0.9 - now with even faster details view and new features...
wallyweb
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by wallyweb »

eis_os and JGR are excused. Oskar already has a full load and JGR needs that 2.5 weeks holiday just to figure out what the heck vehorderwinitemoffsetshiftcorrectorhook_hook means. Personally, I think its the name of a town in Wales.

I agree with Hyronymus that aquaducts are more fun but think of all the stuff we could hide in the tunnel to keep Dave Worley from finding it before Christmas. (Dave Worley likes his stuffs you know) :mrgreen:
tvmelissa
Engineer
Engineer

Post by tvmelissa »

wallyweb wrote:...figure out what the heck vehorderwinitemoffsetshiftcorrectorhook_hook means. Personally, I think its the name of a town in Wales.
Nah, can't be a town in Wales. There aren't at least 6 'y's in it. :)
DaleStan
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by DaleStan »

JGR wrote:the function I'm currently working on is: vehorderwinitemoffsetshiftcorrectorhook_hook
Ye ghods, why?

No. Not "Why are you working on it?" Rather, "Why is it named that?" Or maybe "What did the gods of Copy-and-Paste promise you in exchange for that name?" :p

It's been a long time since I've seen a 44-character name.
To get a good answer, ask a Smart Question. Similarly, if you want a bug fixed, write a Useful Bug Report. No TTDPatch crashlog? Then follow directions.
Projects: NFORenum (download) | PlaneSet (Website) | grfcodec (download) | grfdebug.log parser
eis_os
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by eis_os »

JGR
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by JGR »

Hmph, I thought I had already fixed that.
I haven't checked the bugtracker for quite some time...
I will have another quick look tonight.
Ex TTDPatch Coder
Patch Pack, Github
eis_os
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by eis_os »

If you have, then please leave a note (with revision) and set state to pending...
Born Acorn
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Born Acorn »

tvmelissa wrote:
wallyweb wrote:...figure out what the heck vehorderwinitemoffsetshiftcorrectorhook_hook means. Personally, I think its the name of a town in Wales.
Nah, can't be a town in Wales. There aren't at least 6 'y's in it. :)
And "v" isn't in the Welsh alphabet.

Well. Anyway, it's about time somebody in the world decided to make a proper ship sized tunnel. It just proves my theory that anything can be made if there's demand for it and money for it.
wallyweb
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by wallyweb »

But if the Welsh have no "v"s then they can't have vehicles and vessels to send through the tunnels and no velocity to show their motion. Oh well, at least they have no evil either. :lol:
michael blunck
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by michael blunck »

Born Acorn wrote:Anyway, it's about time somebody in the world decided to make a proper ship sized tunnel.
Well, obviously existing english canal tunnels are way small. With only a couple of meters they´re even too small for TTD. 8)

regards
Michael
JGR
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by JGR »

Window resizing for vehicle windows seems to have required sortvehlist for a long time.
I also tested r892 and r904 with enhancegui on and sortvehlist off, and the train list was highly broken (trains were displayed, just off the edge of the window, and I managed to crash TTD by scrolling).
This line suggests a reason http://svn.ttdpatch.net/trac/browser/tr ... v=921#L345
The bug probably is more ancient than that as well.

I don't have time to fix (or look at) this problem any more, as I have to cook some food and pack my bags before I leave tomorrow morning...

JGR
Ex TTDPatch Coder
Patch Pack, Github
m3henry
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by m3henry »

Dave Worley wrote:There's a huge network around Dudley with tunnels over 2 miles long in places.
I wondered if that would come up, :roll: and one of those tunnels is shut because it is too small/not enough ventilation
The occasional look back at your past can teach you a great many things...
Dave

Post by Dave »

m3henry wrote:
Dave Worley wrote:There's a huge network around Dudley with tunnels over 2 miles long in places.
I wondered if that would come up, :roll: and one of those tunnels is shut because it is too small/not enough ventilation
"... one of ..."?

Excuse me?

To whom are you speaking? I know a lot more about the Midlands and its transport history than you, Henry.

I was fully aware that many of (not "one of") the tunnels on the network are closed because of non-navigable water, but that does not mean that at one or another time that did not exist for the purpose of moving traffic.

Please don't try to patronise me - I don't enter these discussions like an exicted 14 year old Emo with limited knowledge - I know what I am talking about. Thank you.

EDIT: When I was about 7, I went on a Santa Special boat that sets off from a small boathouse in Dudley, into the tunnel, out at Tunnel Junction (a large expanse of water in what can only be described as a man made gorge) with five tunnels. Two of these were non-navigable. One tunnel had visibly caved in, whilst the other had been boarded up. There was an urban legend that I have read in some local history books that the caved-in tunnel was abandoned with valuable goods left stranded inside. The local "yoof" have since tried to get in - it's actually quite a trip, and wouldn't be easy - luckily the canal water hasn't been too deep when they've fallen in. Dickheads.

Anyway, there were often huge caverns underground, and even coalfaces. Remember that the coal in The Black Country was so abundant it actually laid on the surface and turned the soil black, so you wouldn't have to go very deep to get good coal, and the goods were brought out on coal barges.

Anyway, I digress, this Santa Special went into one of two parallel tunnels, stopped at an underground quay, reversed along a short link tunnel to the other parallel tunnel, stopped for Santa to hand over his presents at a man-made "hole-in-the-wall" (actually a huge coalface), then slipped back out of the tunnel at Tunnel Junction.

Fascinating stuff. Proof that being patronising doesn't work.
Official TT-Dave Fan Club

Dave's Screenshot Thread! - Albion: A fictional Britain
Flickr

Why be a song when you can be a symphony? r is a...
wallyweb
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by wallyweb »

Dave Worley wrote:There was an urban legend that I have read in some local history books that the caved-in tunnel was abandoned with valuable goods left stranded inside.
Shush! That's where we hid Dave Worley's Christmas stuffs! Oh! Dave! That's you! Never mind then. :mrgreen:

Return to “Suggestions”