Route trough depot?

Got an idea for a new feature in TTDPatch? Post it here.

Moderator: TTDPatch Moderators

ISA
Tycoon
Tycoon

Route trough depot?

Post by ISA »

Route trough depot? --->--I D I-->---
We need only re-draw depots (Both sides have doors). But can patch support two different types of depots?
Why I suggest it?
Because then train just can go trough (service himself) it and don't need to turn away for that! Something like old steamers had sometimes water towers next to track to fill locos water tank middle of nowhere!
ok devs I think You all can find more problems why it cant be coded and I wait explanations :D
eis_os
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by eis_os »

I tried this already, last time I did it, the vehicle consist get screwed. (The wagons get detached from train) and other wired behaviour. It isn't a graphical challenge but a code challenge, quite a bunch of code does assume certain stuff with depots... I guess a serviceing station or a different rail structure with own behaviour would be easier...
michael blunck
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by michael blunck »

Years ago, Josef mentioned the possibility to add maintenance capability to a normal (custom) station type which could then act as a "depot" (in railway terms).

regards
Michael
Dave

Post by Dave »

michael blunck wrote:Years ago, Josef mentioned the possibility to add maintenance capability to a normal (custom) station type which could then act as a "depot" (in railway terms).
This is a very interesting idea - although obviously it is one that hasn't been mooted for a while.

We could have goods trains routing through stations made to look like Traction Maintenance Depots, which would actually make use of all those sidings I include in my games!

Very interesting idea - I suppose Michael would have some cool graphics for that if it did arise. :D
Official TT-Dave Fan Club

Dave's Screenshot Thread! - Albion: A fictional Britain
Flickr

Why be a song when you can be a symphony? r is a...
michael blunck
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by michael blunck »

Dave Worley wrote:We could have goods trains routing through stations made to look like Traction Maintenance Depots, [...]
Indeed, that was the idea behind it.
I suppose Michael would have some cool graphics for that [...]
Yes, I´ve been working on that theme, though sometime ago.

regards
Michael
uzurpator
Transport Empire Moderator
Transport Empire Moderator

Post by uzurpator »

Custom run through depot - like a sanding tower would rock - HARD!, even if it was for resetting the reliability.
All art and vehicle stats I authored for TT and derivatives are as of now PUBLIC DOMAIN! Use as you see fit
Just say NO to the TT fan-art sprite licensing madness. Public domain your art as well.
m3henry
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by m3henry »

so this would act like a depot but it would be built as a non-stop station.
if a train is told to stop, relaibility=max; if train runs through, reliability+10/20<max.
The occasional look back at your past can teach you a great many things...
wallyweb
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by wallyweb »

Hmm ... a special kind of way-point that has the ability to refresh reliability ...
I already use way-points and Aegir's coal loader in conjunction with a depot but I don't get the drive though effect which would be nice.
kvtb
Engineer
Engineer

Re: Route trough depot?

Post by kvtb »

Since I'm a fan of 'realistic' games, I'd like to use maintenance yards near large/terminus stations.
E.g., a long distance train arrives at its terminus station (e.g., Randston in the screenshot below). The train unloads all passengers. Then the empty train is 'shunted' to the service and storage yard for servicing. After servicing, the train is shunted back to Randston station, to load passangers. Then the journey to the other end of the map starts.

Advantage of service yard over depots:
- more realistic use of space (depots take 1x1 and accept trains of 'any' length)
- a yard has a certain capacity, while these 1x1 depots can swallow tens of trains...
- multiple entrances possible (same track config as with an ordinary station)

The time a train stays at the service yard may depend on its reliability (lower reliability -> longer stay)
Attachments
Service/Maintenance yard near a terminus station
Service/Maintenance yard near a terminus station
service.png (57.24 KiB) Viewed 3651 times
athanasios
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by athanasios »

Let's hope it will become real one day.
http://members.fortunecity.com/gamesart
"If no one is a fool I am also a fool." -The TTD maniac.

I prefer to be contacted through PMs. Thanks.
Dave

Post by Dave »

kvtb wrote:Since I'm a fan of 'realistic' games, I'd like to use maintenance yards near large/terminus stations.
E.g., a long distance train arrives at its terminus station (e.g., Randston in the screenshot below). The train unloads all passengers. Then the empty train is 'shunted' to the service and storage yard for servicing. After servicing, the train is shunted back to Randston station, to load passangers. Then the journey to the other end of the map starts.

Advantage of service yard over depots:
- more realistic use of space (depots take 1x1 and accept trains of 'any' length)
- a yard has a certain capacity, while these 1x1 depots can swallow tens of trains...
- multiple entrances possible (same track config as with an ordinary station)

The time a train stays at the service yard may depend on its reliability (lower reliability -> longer stay)
Not sure the last sentence is possible, but I'm loving the idea. Its what happens at Wolverhampton.
Official TT-Dave Fan Club

Dave's Screenshot Thread! - Albion: A fictional Britain
Flickr

Why be a song when you can be a symphony? r is a...
duffman74au
Engineer
Engineer

Post by duffman74au »

just a thought how about a quick stop at the drive thru depot then speed limited to say 10ks an hour till
full exit.

Return to “Suggestions”