Pushing the start year back further than 1921

Got an idea for a new feature in TTDPatch? Post it here.

Moderator: TTDPatch Moderators

CharlieMTA
Engineer
Engineer

Pushing the start year back further than 1921

Post by CharlieMTA »

Now that there are several early vehicle/building sets and trams are actually possible, wouldn't it be reasonable to push back the start year before 1921? This would encourage a use of complex streetcar networks and canals, in addition to railroads, as the more commonly used RVs, sans the model T, (and less commonly used planes) wouldn't be around yet. Maybe 1890 as the new start year?
DaleStan
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by DaleStan »

To get a good answer, ask a Smart Question. Similarly, if you want a bug fixed, write a Useful Bug Report. No TTDPatch crashlog? Then follow directions.
Projects: NFORenum (download) | PlaneSet (Website) | grfcodec (download) | grfdebug.log parser
PikkaBird
Graphics Moderator
Graphics Moderator

Post by PikkaBird »

That talks about faking introduction years for vehicles, not about pushing the start date further back.
Patchman
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Patchman »

todonow.txt wrote:- allow grf setting baseline year to allow fake years before 1920
Josef Drexler

TTDPatch main | alpha/beta | nightly | manual | FAQ | tracker
No private messages please, you'll only get the answering machine there. Send email instead.
DanMacK
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by DanMacK »

So by that you mean the actual year will show before 1920, or just the vehicle intro dates?
Patchman
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Patchman »

It would subtract a given value from all years displayed by the game. There would be no gameplay effect, and it will not selectively effect some things but not others.

The fact that it's not clear how to deal with multiple grf files wanting to use this, as well as what to do with the dates in the various var.action 2 and callbacks is what stopped me from working on this so far.

Also, unless you subtract a multiple of 400 years, the leap years would be wrong as well.
Josef Drexler

No private messages please, you'll only get the answering machine there. Send email instead.
hovering teacup
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by hovering teacup »

in the meantime, nothing hinders grf authors creating sets that have vehicles introduction dates 30-40 decades retarded and include 19th century vehicles.
------------------------
PikkaBird
Graphics Moderator
Graphics Moderator

Post by PikkaBird »

hovering teacup wrote:nothing hinders grf authors creating sets that have vehicles introduction dates 30-40 decades retarded and include 19th century vehicles.
Except if they're "30-40 decades retarded", they'll be 16th century vehicles...
Wile E. Coyote
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Wile E. Coyote »

To set start year before 1921, it makes Patch unstable AFAIK? That's reason why you can't set start year before. Anyway, fake introduction year is good option :D
Serbian rail set with Serbian scenario (ECS, PBI, FIRS and Tourist set compatible) Website | Topic and download | Latest version: 03.06.2015.
Serbian tram set Tracking table | TTD Patch tram set Latest version: 17.06.2015. | Open TTD Remix Latest version: 11.07.2015.
WIN-DOS GRF Converter Topic and download | Version 0.2.1: 09.01.2005.

Runner-up in "Best avatar Forums award" for years 2006 and 2010!
hovering teacup
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

PikkaBird wrote:Except if they're "30-40 decades retarded", they'll be 16th century vehicles...
:o :shock: :lol: indeed
------------------------
Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Purno »

But if you 'move' the start year, does that also 'move' the end year? Can the amount of total years (the period where new vehicles can be added) be lengthened?
Contributor to the The 2cc Set and Dutch Trainset. Inventor of the Metro concept. Retired Graphics Artist.
Image Image
Download TT | Latest TTDPatch | OpenTTD | OpenTTDCoop | BaNaNaS: OpenTTD content system | 2048² OTTD scenario of the Netherlands
GRF Codec | GRF Crawler | GRF Maker | Usefull graphics & tools sites | NML Documentation Wiki | NFO Documentation Wiki
All my graphics are licensed under GPL. "Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else."
Patchman
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Patchman »

Yes and no, respectively. You could extend it by a few (~40?) years maybe.

In principle this could be changed, but that would require a dword sized property for vehicle introduction dates and thus make all grf files incompatible.
Josef Drexler

Hyronymus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Hyronymus »

And extending it more than ~40 years, would that require a lot more work? And couldn't you make 'extended game years' a bit switch that users can either switch on or off, so that people can play with those sets that don't support 'extended game years'?

It's all thinking out loud, I understood what you meant when you said it's a lot of work.
MeusH
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by MeusH »

Patchman wrote:In principle this could be changed, but that would require a dword sized property for vehicle introduction dates and thus make all grf files incompatible.
No, all sets can be still compatibile. You may create a new newgrf flag, which if found, uses new date alghoritm with i.e. 1800 as the first year. Of course, only grf files created with that flag will be affected.
If it is not found (all today existing grf files), current alghoritm would be used with 1920 as the first year.
What do you think about that?
michael blunck
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by michael blunck »

With all due respect, I wouldn´t find it useful to be able to make sets with vehicles around year 1800 or even 1860. This would only be for "historical" reasons but locomotives weren´t that attractive then in terms of game play data.

A while ago I made a poll inside the german user community to test if my affection to early locomotives would be honored but it turned out that most people start only in 1950, if at all.

Anyway, 1920 (or 1900) seems to be a good start year which provides interesting locomotives with speeds > 20 km/h. 8)

regards
Michael
Hyronymus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Hyronymus »

Early engines are slower but you need to imagine everything being slower back then. It would make a challenge of a different kind and I can't imagine all those people who liked RRT2 would hate it in TTD.
Ramshill
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Ramshill »

Hey That would mean Horse Transports instead of Lorries......Imagine trying to animate those!
I maybe old but at least I'm not dead (yet).
OK! I admit it I AM dead (from the neck up)
hovering teacup
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

engines in the latter half of 19th century were not particularly slow. they were rather weak (carriadges were not heavy) than slow as long as i know.

anyway around one week ago i started a grf which does what i said above. the population and production level at the start of the game is just good for 19th century stuffs.
------------------------
White Rabbit
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by White Rabbit »

Too bad there's limited space for ships. The 19th century is ruled by barges and canals, not trains and rails!
michael blunck
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by michael blunck »

> That would mean Horse Transports [...]

Which was the case with the first TG demo to the displeasure of the community ... :twisted:

regards
Michael

Return to “Suggestions”