Tram and Trolleybus Discussion

Got an idea for a new feature in TTDPatch? Post it here.

Moderator: TTDPatch Moderators

Which vehicles you prefer?

Trams
78%
Trolleybuses
22%

Total votes: 134

Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Purno »

Pnaky wrote:Image
Wow!

IMO there should be another catenarypole at the T-junction. If you know what I mean.
Contributor to the The 2cc Set and Dutch Trainset. Inventor of the Metro concept. Retired Graphics Artist.
Image Image
Download TT | Latest TTDPatch | OpenTTD | OpenTTDCoop | BaNaNaS: OpenTTD content system | 2048² OTTD scenario of the Netherlands
GRF Codec | GRF Crawler | GRF Maker | Usefull graphics & tools sites | NML Documentation Wiki | NFO Documentation Wiki
All my graphics are licensed under GPL. "Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else."
Pnaky
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Pnaky »

Yes... I it catch on... I saying to Pedro about catenary in juction... I remake this thing to perfection...
The pole must be on beginning sprite and on the end... We are lead discusion about style of tram catenary...
Pedro_Zawislak
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Pedro_Zawislak »

Pnaky and me work on this "system" separately. I'll create rails and Pnaky work on the wires. This picture is very fastest previews how would it can look...
Sorry for my bad english... Translator & friends' help rullez :wink:
Flamelord
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by Flamelord »

Pedro, I don't see the image. Did you forget to attach it?
Pedro_Zawislak
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Pedro_Zawislak »

Flamelord wrote:Pedro, I don't see the image. Did you forget to attach it?
Image is in the Purno reply on top in this page :)
Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Purno »

Pedro_Zawislak wrote:Pnaky and me work on this "system" separately. I'll create rails and Pnaky work on the wires. This picture is very fastest previews how would it can look...
Well, where tracks are placed, catenary should be placed. They follow the same routes exactly... so how 'seperately' is this?
Contributor to the The 2cc Set and Dutch Trainset. Inventor of the Metro concept. Retired Graphics Artist.
Image Image
Download TT | Latest TTDPatch | OpenTTD | OpenTTDCoop | BaNaNaS: OpenTTD content system | 2048² OTTD scenario of the Netherlands
GRF Codec | GRF Crawler | GRF Maker | Usefull graphics & tools sites | NML Documentation Wiki | NFO Documentation Wiki
All my graphics are licensed under GPL. "Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else."
Wile E. Coyote
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Wile E. Coyote »

One more thing: how can be done vehicles reversing? I think (maybe I'm wrong) there is two ways: one is tiles with one track, and second is tile like AI doing in circle (maybe second way is easier).
BTW, tracks and catenary are great! :D Looking forward to see them in game :wink:
Serbian rail set with Serbian scenario (ECS, PBI, FIRS and Tourist set compatible) Website | Topic and download | Latest version: 03.06.2015.
Serbian tram set Tracking table | TTD Patch tram set Latest version: 17.06.2015. | Open TTD Remix Latest version: 11.07.2015.
WIN-DOS GRF Converter Topic and download | Version 0.2.1: 09.01.2005.

Runner-up in "Best avatar Forums award" for years 2006 and 2010!
Pedro_Zawislak
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Pedro_Zawislak »

Tram turn :Marek's calculation (graphic designer of Tycoonez.com:munity)

In first possibility trams are "breaking". Only in second or third option all is OK
Attachments
tram-turn.png
tram-turn.png (10.62 KiB) Viewed 14970 times
Steve
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Steve »

I think it'd have to be option 1. Otherwise, if you have a piece of track that you can't make a loop like that on, you can't use it, as the tram will get stuck.
eis_os
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by eis_os »

But it could make things easier with type 3 :)
TTDPatch dev in retirement ... Search a grf, try Grf Crawler 0.9 - now with even faster details view and new features...
ChrisCF
Transport Empire Developer
Transport Empire Developer

Post by ChrisCF »

Phew. What a long thread. ;-)

It seems that nobody has considered what I thought might have been obvious - how to connect this up to other tracks? Remember that trams run on tracks, not roads. Just that sometimes those tracks happen to be built into roads. This is vaguely important, since a number of tram systems run on disused railway track which is still connected to the network. In fact, I believe that more than one stop on the Croydon system is actually on railway tracks at railway stations which can be used by actual trains.

Does this aspect even bear thinking about?
Siema
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Siema »

eis_os wrote:But it could make things easier with type 3
And it is very realistic.
ChrisCF wrote:how to connect this up to other tracks?
I think there is no need to connect it to other tracks. Tram networks (especially old ones) are independent even if trams use normal gauge.
ChrisCF wrote:Remember that trams run on tracks, not roads.
Usually yes. Suggestion to build trams on roads is due to small amount of place in TTD cities. But we must remember that we are still subject to the Patch possibilities. And yes, it is somewhat strange that this discussion developed so much even if we know that trams and trolleys are not possible yet or not possible generally.
eis_os
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by eis_os »

The only possible way todo is to have them as new road vehicle type,
otherwise stuff like the collision detection would need to be rewritten.

But Tram tracks wouldn't be limited to roads...
TTDPatch dev in retirement ... Search a grf, try Grf Crawler 0.9 - now with even faster details view and new features...
Flamelord
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by Flamelord »

Technically, the type 3 picture would be a pain to create, from what I've seen. If I'm imagining this correctly, the trams would be a type of road with rails built in. Therefore, that road chunk would be a T-junction going BOTH directions, making a complete circle at the end of the tracks, meaning that idiot trains COULD, in theory, circle there forever. But, if you create the junctions like that, only one option is available for trains to turn.
Pnaky
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Pnaky »

I have one small question... How will been seem tram station??? On tho road and off road... Thanks... :o
It's very important for further work I think...

Marek is very talented!!!
Patchman
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Patchman »

Personally I think, at this point further work should await coding of this feature in the patch. Graphics are nice, but without patch support they're entirely useless.

I won't have time to work on it, and I don't know if Oskar feels like it, but if you keep making graphics you run the risk of them being not in the way the feature would require them, when it is written. So I suggest you halt your work on this for now, until "someone" makes it actually work in the patch.
Josef Drexler

TTDPatch main | alpha/beta | nightly | manual | FAQ | tracker
No private messages please, you'll only get the answering machine there. Send email instead.
Pnaky
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Pnaky »

Oh no... It is not really!!! We are want work on graphics for your moral support...
I please you... You will work on this thing far...
Flamelord
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by Flamelord »

In theory, they could make all road look like tram tracks, then just run tram-looking vehicles on them! But then there'd be no non-tram road. That's if we don't wait for further coding.
Wile E. Coyote
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Wile E. Coyote »

Pedro_Zawislak wrote:Tram turn :Marek's calculation (graphic designer of Tycoonez.com:munity)

In first possibility trams are "breaking". Only in second or third option all is OK
But you have two ways turn-around. I think it'd be better if it will be one way on turn-around.
Serbian rail set with Serbian scenario (ECS, PBI, FIRS and Tourist set compatible) Website | Topic and download | Latest version: 03.06.2015.
Serbian tram set Tracking table | TTD Patch tram set Latest version: 17.06.2015. | Open TTD Remix Latest version: 11.07.2015.
WIN-DOS GRF Converter Topic and download | Version 0.2.1: 09.01.2005.

Runner-up in "Best avatar Forums award" for years 2006 and 2010!
Hitperson
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Hitperson »

good idea lads but would you be able to get them on concrete like at Blackpool and Blackpool trams would be nice

P.S Pedro I like you cool diagrams with the smilly faces on

Return to “Suggestions”