Tram and Trolleybus Discussion

Got an idea for a new feature in TTDPatch? Post it here.

Moderator: TTDPatch Moderators

Which vehicles you prefer?

Trams
78%
Trolleybuses
22%

Total votes: 134

krtaylor
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by krtaylor »

My assumption is that the pathfinding would be exactly the same as that for trucks, except that the trams would look for slightly different roads (i.e. they'd look for places with tram-track.) I assume that'd be a copy of the pathfinding code, except changing the terrain-array integer for the type of road they'd look for.

Similarly, the GUI would be almost identical to the road-building one as described above, again, I would think it would be a code copy except for changing the terrain-array integers of the type of road placed/removed.

I know for a while there were problems with changing the GUI, but I thought that got all figured out. Hey, if we're putting in new menu items (like the new-graphics screen) and completely new GUI stuff (like the LoMo-esque thing), clearly you understand how it works fairly well.
Development Projects Site:
http://www.as-st.com/ttd
Japan, American Transition, Planeset, and Project Generic Stations available there
Hyronymus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Hyronymus »

I have a semi-OT question to patchman now (a PM would do if you want to stay on topic): is it possible to add a 4th type of train track in a new landscape array?
eis_os
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by eis_os »

Well in general it looks like more rail systems would be possible, but if you take a closer look, there are pieces like a track tile can only hold 3 types... (3Bits) And with road/track crossing you really have a problem...

(You know that TTD crossings are passable by all rail vehicles, it only looks different for the types... )
TTDPatch dev in retirement ... Search a grf, try Grf Crawler 0.9 - now with even faster details view and new features...
Hyronymus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Hyronymus »

But for roads there are still 2 bits open then?
eis_os
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by eis_os »

No, it's easier to create something new as trying to find all pieces that think there only 3bits free...

:D
TTDPatch dev in retirement ... Search a grf, try Grf Crawler 0.9 - now with even faster details view and new features...
Aegir
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Aegir »

Create somthing new then :D.
Currently working under the name 'reldred' on Github, and Discord.
NFO/NML coder, part-time patch writer for JGRPP, and all round belligerent.

14:40 <orudge> I can't say I discriminate against any particular user
14:41 <Aegir> orudge: I can!
Hyronymus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Hyronymus »

If creating something new is easier, why not create a totally new 6-bit rail code into the patch?
The Irish
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by The Irish »

cornelius wrote:
krtaylor wrote:it would be tram-tracks not roads, run-through passenger stations instead of separate passenger and freight sheds (no freight on trams)
If this does turn out to be possible then cargo trams to carry mail, goods and valuables around cities could be fun.
Hi lads,

I would like to come back to the cargo discussion. In Dresden, Germany there is the CargoTram running on normal City tracks.

It transports cargo between two factories of the "Volkswagen" car company.
See links below:
http://www.trampicturebook.de/tram/germ ... gotram.htm
http://public-transport.net/bim/Germany ... drs9_1.htm
*** Ce French Train Set ***
*** Visit my transport related pictures on Flickr ***
ImageImageImageImageImage
Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch
"A committee is a group of men who individually can do nothing but as a group decide that nothing can be done" (Fred Allen 1894-1956 US radio comic).
eis_os
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by eis_os »

Wait a bit yes? :wink: As I said it's not easy to create drive thru stations... (maybe impossible)
Villem
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Villem »

That CargoTram would be a good idea for Locomotion The Irish..
Wile E. Coyote
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Wile E. Coyote »

eis_os wrote:I have splitted the topic and will move it the next days into suggestion section
Thanx, that's cool! I was affraid this would be not interesting, and that's reason I didn't do that, but I'm so glad others wants trolleybusses (trams) in game too! :D This is probably too much early, but I suggest some trams for list (I hope I can draw them :roll: ):

ZIU
TROLZA
BELKOMMUNMAŠ
GOŠA
and legend of legends - silver Ansaldo.

(This is beginning of list, add your suggestions...)
Last edited by Wile E. Coyote on 25 Feb 2005 14:56, edited 1 time in total.
Serbian rail set with Serbian scenario (ECS, PBI, FIRS and Tourist set compatible) Website | Topic and download | Latest version: 03.06.2015.
Serbian tram set Tracking table | TTD Patch tram set Latest version: 17.06.2015. | Open TTD Remix Latest version: 11.07.2015.
WIN-DOS GRF Converter Topic and download | Version 0.2.1: 09.01.2005.

Runner-up in "Best avatar Forums award" for years 2006 and 2010!
Born Acorn
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Born Acorn »

Not trolleybusses. Trams. On tracks like a train, but the tracks go on the road.
Wile E. Coyote
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Wile E. Coyote »

Yes, I know what are trams, I even wanted to include them in Serbian rail set, but there is no one more rail slot. But I mean trolleybuses:
http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php? ... sc&start=0
Trains allready have drive-thru stations, why it is problem to design stations for trams?
Serbian rail set with Serbian scenario (ECS, PBI, FIRS and Tourist set compatible) Website | Topic and download | Latest version: 03.06.2015.
Serbian tram set Tracking table | TTD Patch tram set Latest version: 17.06.2015. | Open TTD Remix Latest version: 11.07.2015.
WIN-DOS GRF Converter Topic and download | Version 0.2.1: 09.01.2005.

Runner-up in "Best avatar Forums award" for years 2006 and 2010!
krtaylor
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by krtaylor »

If it's not possible to have drive-through stations for trams, then there's no point in doing trams.

And also, I know there may be the rare occasion of a cargo tram, but I'd think it makes no sense. Trams as I envision them will have ONLY drive-through stations, and that would make little sense in the situation of a cargo tram unloading. And I don't see how a cargo tram would fit into something more like the existing truck loading bay.
Japan, American Transition, Planeset, and Project Generic Stations available there
eis_os
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by eis_os »

Well I looked at some movement table, but currently it's a big puzzle :(
krtaylor
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by krtaylor »

My understanding is that the reason the movement code is such a pain, is because each movement is based off of the result of the previous movement, so sequential analysis is very hard. The more I think about it, the more I think the first step would be to write a movement table coder/decoder. I mean, lots of things in TTD use the same way of encoding movements, right? So you need some Windows GUI kind of thing, where you copy the TTD movement code into an area, and then it analyzes it and draws a nice diagram of the mevements it's describing. Then you can rejigger them, and it will spit back out the replacement code including your changes. Does this seem possible? Because if it were, it would suddenly make all sorts of things tons easier, such as drive-through stations, bigger airports, and so on.

Which reminds me, the folks working on bigger airports may have made some progress in decoding the movement code.
eis_os
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by eis_os »

No, the the road movement as far as I decoded are only xy point tables...

Well I have looked at some data and it created more question than solving them...
krtaylor
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by krtaylor »

Oh. Would it still be possible to write some sort of xy table decoder to make it easier?
eis_os
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by eis_os »

Well I can look at all entries by hand that isn't the problem, I need to know exactly what the code does... Then I know which table is for what...
krtaylor
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by krtaylor »

Oh, I see, you mean, you can decode the movement that the code sections are describing, you just don't know whether it's moving the RVs, or the planes, or who-knows what?

You could always tweak one, then play a game and see what moves wierd. :lol:

Return to “Suggestions”