eee PC (linux) instalation problem

Got a problem with TTDPatch? Get help here.

Moderator: TTDPatch Moderators

djalexus
Engineer
Engineer

eee PC (linux) instalation problem

Post by djalexus »

Hi,

first of all I am linux lame :) but trying here to do my best in order to install this brilliant game :0

so here is the problem, I've followed the steps in the instructions (that are not so easy to follow for linux dummies like me) and here is some info about the system
Linux eeepc-"user" 2.6.21.4-eeepc #21 Sat Oct 13 12:14:03 EDT 2007 i686 GNU/Linux

I've downloaded openttd-0.6.3-linux-debian-lenny-i386.deb (hopefully the proper one) and I have no ide how to install it. I've red some article and tried with arp -get install openttd-0.6.3-linux-debian-lenny-i386.deb but it says that there is no such command. So I've extracted the file using the visual File Manager to a dir. called TTDLinux (the name does not really matter) and downloaded the original TTD game with the necessary files as per the instructions. I've copied the required files into /TTDLinux/CONTENTS/usr/games/ however when I try to execute the openttd file it gives me an error:

Your 'OPENTTDW.GRF' file is corrupted or missing! The file was part of your installation.

apparently this file exist in some directory and I've also tried to move it into this dir aswell but with no result

so I would be very grateful if some one savvy help me :) Thank you
djalexus
Engineer
Engineer

Re: eee PC (linux) instalation problem

Post by djalexus »

ok so I managed to fix this but here is how
I've copied all files necessary for the game to work in
TTDLinux/CONTENTS/usr/share/games/openttd/
including the executable file openttd
and it started the game

so I guess I am not doing any installation or so and I would be pleased if someone can explain me what I am doing wrong ? Thanks :))))

it works yeeeeeeee
wallyweb
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by wallyweb »

At the top of the page it says " *Board index ‹ TTDPatch ‹ Problems with TTDPatch".
Where does it say "OTTD"?
I'm glad you resolved your problem on your own, however, if you should encounter any new problems, may I suggest you read the titles of the sections to which you are posting? You will find that if you post in the appropriate section you will get a faster and more accurate response.

Try Board index ‹ OpenTTD ‹ OpenTTD Problems
Lakie
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by Lakie »

Unfortunately, I must reiterate Wally's point, please could user's check the section name more carefully.
I am starting to get annoyed with having to move threads because the author did not take the time to browse the forum properly.

The obvious thing is that this sub section is called "Problems for TTDpatch" and not "OTTD Problems" (clearly different, it can be located lower on the index page under the "OpenTTD" section), please note that these projects are not the same and thus have their own sections, and sub sections for problems.

Thanks,
~ Lakie
TTDpatch Developer 2005 - 2010 ~ It all started because of shortened vehicle not loading correctly, now look where I've gone with it!
Grfs coded ~ Finnish Train Set (Teaser) | Bm73 (Release 3) | Emu 680 (Release 3)| Glass Station (Release 1) | UK Roadset (Version 1.1a) | New Water Coasts (Version 7)
Pikka: "Lakie's a good coder, but before he'll add any feature to TTDP you have to convince him that you're not going to use it to destroy the world as we know it."

Return to “Problems with TTDPatch”