cant make trains?

Got a problem with TTDPatch? Get help here.

Moderator: TTDPatch Moderators

jump2limits
Engineer
Engineer

Re: cant make trains?

Post by jump2limits »

wallyweb wrote:
jump2limits wrote:the version is: TTDPatch 2.0 Rev 1

and at first i copied only the installer and the patch. but then it said i missed Run.dll or something like that, so i copied al the files to and put them over the game folder so that it filled everthing i missed.
(still didn't have that run.dll file but it seemed i could download that one from internet)
OK ... Let's try some of these steps:
1. Download a more recent version of the patch (latestw.zip for Windows TTD) from here. This will get you 2.5 beta 9. Some will suggest getting the latest nightly which is needed for some of the newer train sets, but lets get your game running properly first.
2. Next you will have to download the base graphics from here and install them in a folder called newgrf (This folder should be in your TTWin95 folder).
3. Now, you should have a file in your TTWin95 folder called something like newgrf.cfg ... If not, use Window's Notepad to create one so that it contains the following line:

Code: Select all

newgrf\00_base\ttdpbasew.grf 0 0 0 0 0
Save the file as newgrf.cfg - Make sure that you use Save as and that you set Save as type: All files
4. Once you have done all of that, give it a go by clicking on ttdpatchw.exe to start the game.
5. If you see any error messages, make a note of exactly what they say and post them here.

A note on your screenshots ... the reason MSPaint gave you a black image is because it does not support the pcx file type.
Do a Google search for Irfanview and install it. It is free and it supports pcx and will allow you to convert the pcx file to png.

i was stuck at step 2.

i downloaded the latest patch, and extracted the file to my TTwin95 file. (it asked me to copy some files, so i clicked "yes to all")
then i downloaden the new base graphics as you said. but i dont have a folder called newgrf in my TTwin95 folder?
so i just put the base graphics in my TTwin95 folder. that graphics file i downloaden is named "ttdpbasew.grf"

i get a big error message, in dutch, and i don't know if its usefull the translate everything. but i comes down to this:
the option "Aiboost" is old. please don't use.
will be removed in a next version.
press esc to abort or press any key to continue

*i pressed space bar*

next error message:
exactly the same but then not Aiboost but loadallgraphics.

*i pressed space bar*

next error message:
this is a windows file.
the program name is Transport Tycoon <Deluxe> V3.02.011 Copyright blablabla....
could not install codeloader - remove TTDLOADW.OUL and try again.

press any key to abort

*i pressed space bar*

note that these erorrs aren't pop ups but they are all in the same black window.

ill try to find the program u told me about.

but can't anyone just send me a good version of the game? or tell me where to download it?
WWTBAM

Post by WWTBAM »

firstly the errors that appear in the black window are about old switches that have been removed. They can mostly be ignored. But you should remove them from your ttdpatch.cfg . About step 2 create a folder called NewGRF and put ttdpbasew.grf in it.
Formerly known as r0b0t_b0y2003, robotboy, roboboy and beclawat. The best place to get the most recent nightly builds of TTDPatch is: http://roboboy.users.tt-forums.net/TTDPatch/nightlies/
wallyweb
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by wallyweb »

jump2limits wrote:i was stuck at step 2.

... i dont have a folder called newgrf in my TTwin95 folder?

... the option "Aiboost" is old. please don't use.
... exactly the same but then not Aiboost but loadallgraphics.

... this is a windows file.
the program name is Transport Tycoon <Deluxe> V3.02.011 Copyright blablabla....
could not install codeloader - remove TTDLOADW.OUL and try again

...all in the same black window.
robotboy is correct. :D If a newgrf folder is not there, then you must create it. This is my fault ... I should have mentioned that.
The black window is good. It is a DOS window and you should see it whenever you start the game.
As robotboy mentioned, the errors indicate that you must edit your ttdpatch.cfg file. This is because your patch version was upgraded to 2.5beta9.
Just as with the newgrf.cfg file, open ttdpatch.cfg into Notepad.
Find the lines with Aiboost and loadallgraphics. If those two lines do not begin with a #, you can add the # at the beginning of the lines, or simply delete the lines.
There is an easier way to do this but it involves downloading one more file and you won't learn about how ttdpatch.cfg works, so we'll do this download later, ok? :wink:

I think your version of Transport Tycoon is good so there should be no need to replace it.

So, try the above steps and lets see how it goes. 8)
DaleStan
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by DaleStan »

jump2limits wrote:[error messages]
remove TTDLOADW.OUL and try again.
Did you do so?
To get a good answer, ask a Smart Question. Similarly, if you want a bug fixed, write a Useful Bug Report. No TTDPatch crashlog? Then follow directions.
Projects: NFORenum (download) | PlaneSet (Website) | grfcodec (download) | grfdebug.log parser
jump2limits
Engineer
Engineer

Post by jump2limits »

omg guys!

you are all great.

i can play again AND build trains!

:bow: :bow: :bow:
wallyweb
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by wallyweb »

jump2limits wrote:omg guys!

you are all great.

HOORAY! :D
Let us know when you are comfortable with the game and then we'll tell you about a few surprises to make your TTDX game playing experience even more enjoyable. :mrgreen:
Patgreg
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Patgreg »

welcome to one of the smallest clubs in the world - the happy people club
jump2limits
Engineer
Engineer

Post by jump2limits »

wallyweb wrote:
jump2limits wrote:omg guys!

you are all great.

HOORAY! :D
Let us know when you are comfortable with the game and then we'll tell you about a few surprises to make your TTDX game playing experience even more enjoyable. :mrgreen:

well, with only busses and boats i even made profits.
but now i can use trains 2 i can't spend my money fast enough.

when all my long distance busses get old i replace the route with a trainroute.
wallyweb
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by wallyweb »

jump2limits wrote:well, with only busses and boats i even made profits.

Try providing transportation services for the industries. 8)
jump2limits
Engineer
Engineer

Post by jump2limits »

wallyweb wrote:
jump2limits wrote:well, with only busses and boats i even made profits.

Try providing transportation services for the industries. 8)

allright.

but i have a question. if you transport things a long distance, do you get more money then when you transport the same amount over a short distance?
wallyweb
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by wallyweb »

jump2limits wrote:if you transport things a long distance, do you get more money then when you transport the same amount over a short distance?
In the tool bar there is a selection (See inside the red circle in the image below) which opens a menu when you click on it. One of the choices in the menu is "Cargo Payment Rates".
See inside the red circle
See inside the red circle
SCR2.png (5.58 KiB) Viewed 3104 times
jump2limits
Engineer
Engineer

Post by jump2limits »

thanx

but one other thing.

when i play the game, and press ctrl+esc to minimalize the game. and i put it back up again, it seems like it goes back to how i was before (can't make trains anymore)
wallyweb
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by wallyweb »

jump2limits wrote:when i play the game, and press ctrl+esc to minimalize the game. and i put it back up again, it seems like it goes back to how i was before (can't make trains anymore)
This definitely sounds like a bug.
What happens when you click on the Windows minimize button at the top right of the game's window?
Do you pause the game before minimizing?
Do you save the game before minimizing?
Let's wait and see if DaleStan and/or some of the other devs have some thoughts. They may ask you to check and/or try a few things.
jump2limits
Engineer
Engineer

Post by jump2limits »

wallyweb wrote:
jump2limits wrote:when i play the game, and press ctrl+esc to minimalize the game. and i put it back up again, it seems like it goes back to how i was before (can't make trains anymore)
This definitely sounds like a bug.
What happens when you click on the Windows minimize button at the top right of the game's window?
Do you pause the game before minimizing?
Do you save the game before minimizing?
Let's wait and see if DaleStan and/or some of the other devs have some thoughts. They may ask you to check and/or try a few things.
i dont pauze the game, and only sometimes save the game.
i dont have a minimize button in the top right, i play fullscreen.

i use the ctrl+esc so i can talk on msn messenger and play at the same time
DaleStan
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by DaleStan »

jump2limits wrote:when i play the game, and press ctrl+esc to
OW! Don't do that. Use <winkey> or <alt-tab>.

Never ever switch out of TTD or TTDPatch with any key sequence involving <Ctrl> or <Shift>. TTD gets notifications -- when active -- on keydown and keyup. If the keyup happens when TTD is no longer active, it doesn't get notified and assumes the key is still down. The only way to fix this is to press and release the "stuck" key.
To get a good answer, ask a Smart Question. Similarly, if you want a bug fixed, write a Useful Bug Report. No TTDPatch crashlog? Then follow directions.
Projects: NFORenum (download) | PlaneSet (Website) | grfcodec (download) | grfdebug.log parser
jump2limits
Engineer
Engineer

Post by jump2limits »

DaleStan wrote:
jump2limits wrote:when i play the game, and press ctrl+esc to
OW! Don't do that. Use <winkey> or <alt-tab>.

Never ever switch out of TTD or TTDPatch with any key sequence involving <Ctrl> or <Shift>. TTD gets notifications -- when active -- on keydown and keyup. If the keyup happens when TTD is no longer active, it doesn't get notified and assumes the key is still down. The only way to fix this is to press and release the "stuck" key.

oke thanx

one more question, what's the use of making train stations longer?
i don't mean how many tracks but i mean the amount of squares a track inside a station takes?

does the train load faster? or does it attract more passengers?
wallyweb
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by wallyweb »

jump2limits wrote:one more question, what's the use of making train stations longer?
i don't mean how many tracks but i mean the amount of squares a track inside a station takes?

does the train load faster? or does it attract more passengers?
The answer is yes ... almost ... One station tile services an area covered by four tiles in all directions, so one can extend a station's coverage area by making it longer and/or wider. Extending a station in this manner may add coverage to more buildings which provide passengers and/or other cargoes.

Another point, if a train is longer than the platform, it will not load as quickly as when all its wagons are on the platform.
jump2limits
Engineer
Engineer

Post by jump2limits »

oke,

lol, i keep bothering you guys with my ttd questions :)

another one: i have 2 airfields, but when i make a airplane between them, they keep crashing after say 4-5 times they took the route.
they crash at the beginning of the first airfield tile.

the wierd thing is, i have vehicle breakdown option off.
wallyweb
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by wallyweb »

jump2limits wrote:lol, i keep bothering you guys with my ttd questions :)
... And we keep bothering you with answers. :wink:
jump2limits wrote:... airplane between them, they keep crashing ...
There are some settings in your ttdpatch.cfg file where you should be able to control this. :)
jump2limits
Engineer
Engineer

Post by jump2limits »

wallyweb wrote:
jump2limits wrote:lol, i keep bothering you guys with my ttd questions :)
... And we keep bothering you with answers. :wink:
jump2limits wrote:... airplane between them, they keep crashing ...
There are some settings in your ttdpatch.cfg file where you should be able to control this. :)
of course

i almost forgot!

well guys, i already updated mose of my trains and tracks to elektric trains.
and i heard from a friend i would be getting monorails in the future.

can't wait :)

Return to “Problems with TTDPatch”