2016 Olympics in Rio de Janeiro

This is the place to talk about anything not related to Transport Tycoon itself.

Moderator: General Forums Moderators

Chrill

Re: 2016 Olympics in Rio de Janeiro

Post by Chrill »

TimeLapse1357 wrote:one reason for the increased medal counts might be that the IOC has banned many athletes from countries with state sponsored doping.
when you get rid of the cheaters, those that play clean have a better shot at a medal.
I agree. People like Justin Gatlin, clean people.

The IOC are a bunch of hypocrites. Banning Russia may have been a proper decision but there are so many who should not be allowed to compete. I'd say one strike = 5 years. Second strike = lifetime ban from international competition. Always. No excuses.
My Scenarios:
Archipiélago Hermoso (Latest Release: Version 3.2)
Turnpike Falls (Latest Release: Version 0.91)
Pyoro
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Pyoro »

To be fair, not everything is down to the IOC. For example there's a Chinese medalist, who missed a doping test shortly before the Olympics, and would'be been banned by the rules, but she went to court over it, and until the court decides she's allowed to compete.

Seems like an obvious case to me, but then what do I know? ^^;;;
JamieLei
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by JamieLei »

Ameecher wrote:3rd on the back of a massive funding cut post London is certainly impressive. I expect it'll be hard to maintain next time round as the next lot come through.
Second!
Any opinions expressed are purely mine and not that of any employer, past or present.
Simozzz
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Simozzz »

Banning Russia may have been a proper decision
Allowing to participate on individual basis as Russian atleths and banning for 5 years if there areany suspicions about doping will be a proper decision.
Banning whole team because of ambitions of someone from our government is not.
And IOC allowance to participate as independent atleths seems to be nationalistic. I.e.: You are allowed if you won't be here as Russian.
Sorry for my bad English.
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

After Mo Farah successfully defended his Gold in the 5,000 & 10,000 metre, Team GB have reached a minimum of 67 medals this Olympics.

This signifies a few things for us
1) This has now equalled and gone over the haul of medals we got on home soil in London 2012.
2) This is the first time in Modern Olympics (since 1896) that a country has increased its medal tally at a Summer Games immediately following one it hosted.

Mo Farahs achievement earlier also makes him only the second man in history to achieve what's been dubbed the 'Double-Double', defending both Golds in 5/10,000 metres in sequential games. There's also talk he may be made a 'Sir' during a future honours list, as has happened with Sir Chris Hoy & Sir Bradley Wiggins and many other famous British athletes.
(Source: BBC News)

I have to admit, when this Olympics began, I would never have dreamed of Team GB achieving so much this time around. It's also 'almost certain' we'll finish having remained in second place, without the Chinese taking it back in the medals table.
Need some good tested AI? - Unofficial AI Tester, list of good stuff & thread is here.

Return to “Off-Topic”