Euro 2016

This is the place to talk about anything not related to Transport Tycoon itself.

Moderator: General Forums Moderators

Leanden
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Euro 2016

Post by Leanden »

Poland achieved what they set out to achieve and that was a draw. They stepped onto that pitch knowing their best chance to drive a big defence and they made it.
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

I love this bit of camera work from the ENG - WAL match earlier today.

https://streamable.com/40vo
Need some good tested AI? - Unofficial AI Tester, list of good stuff & thread is here.
Phreeze
Director
Director

Post by Phreeze »

th e GER - POL was entertaining, allthough there were like 0 chances in the game.

It will be interesting when GER plays vs UK in the next round (still possible) :mrgreen:
Chrill

Post by Chrill »

Well f***. Sweden just lost to Italy. It wasn't very fair. Italy scored 1-0 in the 88th minute, one of their few goal chances. After being veeeery slow with free kicks and corners, Sweden still found time to get a last goal chance. The Swede had his shirt pulled before being climbed on top of by the Italian. No penalty. Absolutely disgraceful refereeing throughout the game.

Still, we matched Italy. They beat Belgium big time. If we can play like we did today, we can beat any team. I rate the Swedish performance 4/5, we just lacked that final little push. Get it together for the next game, lads!
My Scenarios:
Archipiélago Hermoso (Latest Release: Version 3.2)
Turnpike Falls (Latest Release: Version 0.91)
Pyoro
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Pyoro »

Sweden had zero shots on goals. Not even anything resembling a half-decent chance.
Italy wasn't much better, granted, but the game was pretty bad all around.

Should've ended 0:0, perhaps. But if Sweden plays like that again the best you can hope for is 0:0, again, and that won't be enough ;)
Chrill

Post by Chrill »

We had two great goal scoring opportunities, one should definitely have resulted in goal. Let's hope this upward going form continues.
My Scenarios:
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

Good win from Wales against Russia (3-0) sees them finish top of their group, with England finishing 2nd, and Russia last.

100% did not expect Wales to top their group when this competition started!
Need some good tested AI? - Unofficial AI Tester, list of good stuff & thread is here.
Ameecher
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Ameecher »

Guaranteed for a member of the UK to reach the quarters now. Fantastic showing from the home nations.

One minor point. I did say when hoolahan messed up the one on one, "Standard Norwich", then the little magician put it on a plate for Robbie Brady. If only that had been standard Norwich last season.
Chrill

Post by Chrill »

Ugh. Sweden are out. We scored a goal on Belgium but the referee found it to be illegal. I'm not quite sure why, but that's the way it is. We should have won.

ANYWAY, lots of veterans now retiring from Sweden: Zlatan himself, our goalie (since 2002) Andreas Isaksson, midfielder Kim Källström and coach Erik Hamrén. It's a very new national team lining up this fall.

Am now cheering for Iceland (YAY!), Hungary (I love 40-year old Kiraly and his sweatpants) and Italy (I'm 25% Italian) so at least one of them hopefully doing OK. Iceland can definitely keep a clean sheet on England and, well.. England and penalties...
My Scenarios:
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

Englands next match is with Iceland, I think that should be fairly easy for it.

Honestly not sure who will win with Wales and N.Ireland going up against each other.
Chrill

Post by Chrill »

Iceland beat Austria and tied with Portugal. They beat Netherlands (among others) to qualify for this year's Euro. In 2014, they lost the playoffs for the World Cup to Croatia, but only just.

In other words, Iceland can beat England.

EDIT: I had my wife-to-be bet how the Euros would end. She has some knowledge of what level the teams are at, but.. well.. most bets are decent but she's clearly overestimating Hungary :mrgreen:
Attachments
louise.png
louise.png (54.33 KiB) Viewed 599 times
My Scenarios:
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

Chrill wrote: EDIT: I had my wife-to-be bet how the Euros would end. She has some knowledge of what level the teams are at, but.. well.. most bets are decent but she's clearly overestimating Hungary :mrgreen:
Interesting. Sad to see she has no faith in England vs Iceland :p
Pyoro
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Pyoro »

I think it's actually reasonable. I'd say the bigger overestimation there is Italy. Beating Spain, ok, but also France? I don't know ;)

Croatia - Portugal is pretty 50:50. Whoever wins that I think has a slight advantage over Poland, so I'd probably put them over the other, too, but it's nothing definite.
Hungary - Belgium is more in favor of Belgium, perhaps, but far from a clear match. And whoever wins that imo is clear favorites over probably-Wales. After that I'd agree and bet on Croatia/Poland/Portugal, unless something really changes.

Germany is obvious, Spain - Italy can go either way. imo after that Germany is favorites, this time around.
France and England should win, and France should beat England (or Iceland... ^^). Whoever wins the one after that is obviously in prime position to take the cup - Germany or France? I honestly don't know, but I'll go with GER ;)

Of course, in the end it's football, so it won't go like that anyway. ^^
Chrill

Post by Chrill »

Icelandic commentator, on national TV, commentating the Icelandic 2-1 goal against Austria.

EDIT: Oh look. The man next to him is Swedish former footballer Glenn Strömberg. Methinks.
EDIT2: Yup, the two next to him are the Swedish commentators. They look a little bit stunned.
My Scenarios:
Pilot
General Forums Moderator
General Forums Moderator

Post by Pilot »

Redirect Left wrote:
Chrill wrote: EDIT: I had my wife-to-be bet how the Euros would end. She has some knowledge of what level the teams are at, but.. well.. most bets are decent but she's clearly overestimating Hungary :mrgreen:
Interesting. Sad to see she has no faith in England vs Iceland :p
To be fair, have you seen us in this competition? We've been pretty pathetic :lol:
Pyoro
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Pyoro »

I shouldn't have bothered watching the matches today.
One worse than the next :/
Chrill

Post by Chrill »

Well, Xherdan Shaqiri (I think he spells his name that way) scored one absolute beast of a goal. Shame it made no difference in the end since Switzerland were eliminated.

Tomorrow, Belgium should dispose of Hungary quite easily. I'm looking forward to England losing to Iceland on Monday though. That will be real good to watch!
My Scenarios:
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

Really well done to Wales. From not showing up to a major tournament in over 50 years, to getting through beyond the last 16 and into the quarter finals! They'll play the winner of Belgium vs Hungary. I'm really surprised by how far they've come!
England will play Iceland on Monday, and the winner of that will play whoever wins France vs (Republic Of) Ireland. I dont personally see the end of England's road being against Iceland, but hey, who knows. It's all a bit odd this year.
Dave

Post by Dave »

England to finally find where the goal is and batter Iceland... I'll be gutted mind.
Official TT-Dave Fan Club

Dave's Screenshot Thread! - Albion: A fictional Britain
Flickr

Why be a song when you can be a symphony? r is a...
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

Argh poo. France ended up coming up from 1-0 down to Ireland to a 2-1 victory. Which means if we do win Iceland, we'll face the home team of France. I can already smell the end of our path coming up, even if we do manage to get past Iceland.

Return to “Off-Topic”