Page 714 of 754

Re: The Thread Of Randomness

Posted: 01 Oct 2016 22:36
by Drury
Technically, we're all migrants from Africa.

And who knows where life started springing up first!

But all of that has little to no relevance to politics, gotta give them that. Modern British culture is very different from that of 30 000 years ago. I think. Hope.

Re: The Thread Of Randomness

Posted: 01 Oct 2016 22:39
by Redirect Left
Drury wrote:Technically, we're all migrants from Africa.
Yup. Something else I pointed out, to another rhyme of "as if!". No idea what they teach at schools these days, but a lot of people there seemed to have missed it.

Re: The Thread Of Randomness

Posted: 01 Oct 2016 22:47
by Pilot
Redirect Left wrote:Good grief. Just been shocked by how little knowledge people seem to have of the world around them.
Article posted to facebook by a UK media regarding migration curbs and etc. I just casually mention how technically all of us are migrants to the UK, through migration many millenia ago (roughly 30,000 years ago is when the UK, or what would become it, started to be populated by modern day humans). Absolutely storm of people going "uwotm8?" and varying slurs about how stupid I am.

Genuinely think that the majority of people are totally unaware of the world around them and how we all came to be whereever we all are.
Please, keep it up! I'm having a great laugh at the expense of the idiot's you're exposing! And to be fair, it is a Metro Article, what do you expect?!

Also, one answer to what the Article is about; Mo Farah!

Re: The Thread Of Randomness

Posted: 01 Oct 2016 23:01
by Redirect Left
Pilot wrote:
Redirect Left wrote:Good grief. Just been shocked by how little knowledge people seem to have of the world around them.
Article posted to facebook by a UK media regarding migration curbs and etc. I just casually mention how technically all of us are migrants to the UK, through migration many millenia ago (roughly 30,000 years ago is when the UK, or what would become it, started to be populated by modern day humans). Absolutely storm of people going "uwotm8?" and varying slurs about how stupid I am.

Genuinely think that the majority of people are totally unaware of the world around them and how we all came to be whereever we all are.
Please, keep it up! I'm having a great laugh at the expense of the idiot's you're exposing! And to be fair, it is a Metro Article, what do you expect?!
As I pointed out, the wikipedia article regarding historic settlement of the UK, the literal first line is "The British Isles have experienced a long history of migration from Europe." - Everyone seemed to go quiet then :p
I may not be the brightest spark in Yorkshire. But I certainly do take an interest in the world around us and how we likely came to be here. As I personally think we all should do.
But hey, maybe some people enjoy living in ignorant bliss, or maybe they do know to some degree but choose to live in denial of it? I just don't know anymore.

The comments on that Metro article just make me think like this.
Also, Mo Farah. What a guy :D

Re: The Thread Of Randomness

Posted: 01 Oct 2016 23:22
by NekoMaster
Americans are pretty much the same, many people forget that Europeans came to North America only a few hundred years ago, mean while some people in America and Canada act like they own the land when the Natives where here first.

Re: The Thread Of Randomness

Posted: 01 Oct 2016 23:32
by Redirect Left
NekoMaster wrote:mean while some people in America and Canada act like they own the land when the Natives where here first.
Australia is the same in some respects regarding natives, although i believe its a lot less prevalent than in America. I know someone who lives in Melbourne, so I hear about Aussie news frequently off him (paying attention to the outside world again I am :p).

Re: The Thread Of Randomness

Posted: 02 Oct 2016 09:28
by Chris
Redirect Left wrote:No idea what they teach at schools these days, but a lot of people there seemed to have missed it.
Quite a while ago (maybe 2010 ish) I volunteered at my local old primary school one afternoon a week. At one point they were learning about Africa and were asked what the primary cause of problems there is. Apparently corruption is the source of all Africa's problems, not at all to do with slavery and colonialism.

I mean really!? Zimbabwe was a British colony until the white minority declared independence and had a 15 year civil war resulting in Mugabe taking power. Clearly not the result of colonialism. Duh it's just their fault coz they're corrupt

Re: The Thread Of Randomness

Posted: 02 Oct 2016 12:29
by Drury
Chris wrote:
Redirect Left wrote:No idea what they teach at schools these days, but a lot of people there seemed to have missed it.
Quite a while ago (maybe 2010 ish) I volunteered at my local old primary school one afternoon a week. At one point they were learning about Africa and were asked what the primary cause of problems there is. Apparently corruption is the source of all Africa's problems, not at all to do with slavery and colonialism.

I mean really!? Zimbabwe was a British colony until the white minority declared independence and had a 15 year civil war resulting in Mugabe taking power. Clearly not the result of colonialism. Duh it's just their fault coz they're corrupt
I can see why you're frustrated, but really, colonialism is a solved case.

I mean saying their current source of problems is corruption doesn't necessarily excuse past colonialism, nor does past colonialism rule out present corruption. It's important to know history, yes, but saying the source of their current problems is corruption isn't necessarily incorrect.

Re: The Thread Of Randomness

Posted: 03 Oct 2016 06:04
by Chrill
Africa's current problem is greatly caused by slavery and colonialism. Modern day slavery and colonialism. The Western world forces Africa into poor trade deals and keep them in check economically. Now that China is working with Africa more and more, some African countries are beginning to rise. Just take a look at some of the downtown areas in Maputo (Mocambique) for example.

Re: The Thread Of Randomness

Posted: 03 Oct 2016 10:26
by YNM
Chrill wrote:Africa's current problem is greatly caused by slavery and colonialism. Modern day slavery and colonialism. The Western world forces Africa into poor trade deals and keep them in check economically. Now that China is working with Africa more and more, some African countries are beginning to rise. Just take a look at some of the downtown areas in Maputo (Mocambique) for example.
Don't forget intended instability. Somebody is benefiting over the instability, or you can be the "robin hood" and robbin' the hood meanwhile. Not much choice for 3rd world country really, unless they truly unite together - which is why this man was really feared at the time by both sides of the world, for fears of falling to the opposite side. Either that or be really stubborn alone (like close to total disregard of international standards or so), but it's not going to work unless the country is really massive (China itself is an example, and now North Korea might be, although many says somebody is behind it).

Re: The Thread Of Randomness

Posted: 03 Oct 2016 19:03
by Redirect Left
Got some bad news today. As I massive fan of the show Archer, i was disappointed to hear the guy behind it plans to end it after the tenth series :(
http://www.digitalspy.com/tv/ustv/news/ ... be-ending/

Re: The Thread Of Randomness

Posted: 03 Oct 2016 21:47
by Chris
Redirect Left wrote:Got some bad news today. As I massive fan of the show Archer, i was disappointed to hear the guy behind it plans to end it after the tenth series :(
http://www.digitalspy.com/tv/ustv/news/ ... be-ending/
I dunno whether it is bad news. I think Archer is great but having watched season 7 recently when it went on to Netflix, its been better. I don't know whether it was just the PI set up?

Re: The Thread Of Randomness

Posted: 04 Oct 2016 02:21
by Redirect Left
Well, tonight took an interesting turn.
My speakers decided to set on fire. Good job I was awake & had a glass of pepsi on the desk. My PC and therefore speakers (they're USB powered) are on 24/7, whether i'm awake, at home, on holiday or whatever!

Image 1 & Image 2

Used to look like https://www.amazon.co.uk/SPEEDLINK-Even ... B00FWAT01S
I would say at least they were 7ish year old, so I had got my moneys worth out of them, but that doesn't really excuse them catastrophically failing, assumably a short circuit I guess, can't think of anything else that'd do that!

Re: The Thread Of Randomness

Posted: 04 Oct 2016 02:44
by TimeLapse1357
when you say 'set on fire' do you mean actual flames or just a lot of smoke?

Re: The Thread Of Randomness

Posted: 04 Oct 2016 03:06
by Redirect Left
TimeLapse1357 wrote:when you say 'set on fire' do you mean actual flames or just a lot of smoke?
Actual flames - smoke alone wouldn't have caused the damage in the images :p

Re: The Thread Of Randomness

Posted: 04 Oct 2016 03:07
by NekoMaster
TimeLapse1357 wrote:when you say 'set on fire' do you mean actual flames or just a lot of smoke?
Judging by the damage, melted plastic and burnt circuitry, I'd say they probably literally SET ON FIRE with flames and stuff.

I have some pretty old speakers myself, some LG Speakers I've had since 2009 (The kind with the silver speakers and no protection on it)

Re: The Thread Of Randomness

Posted: 04 Oct 2016 12:26
by orudge
Redirect Left wrote:Well, tonight took an interesting turn.
My speakers decided to set on fire. Good job I was awake & had a glass of pepsi on the desk. My PC and therefore speakers (they're USB powered) are on 24/7, whether i'm awake, at home, on holiday or whatever!
Did you not have something else go up in flames not long ago? An extension cable or something?

I'd be checking you've got a good home/contents insurance policy, just in case. ;)

Re: The Thread Of Randomness

Posted: 04 Oct 2016 14:14
by Redirect Left
orudge wrote: Did you not have something else go up in flames not long ago? An extension cable or something?
Not so much flames for that one. Couple of years ago - It was a plug that was internally sparking within its socket, causing it to melt away and also melt part of the extension it was plugged into. No flames, but had I left it long enough, possibly?

I should perhaps stop buying the cheapest of the cheap :p

Re: The Thread Of Randomness

Posted: 04 Oct 2016 17:21
by NekoMaster
Redirect Left wrote:
orudge wrote: Did you not have something else go up in flames not long ago? An extension cable or something?
Not so much flames for that one. Couple of years ago - It was a plug that was internally sparking within its socket, causing it to melt away and also melt part of the extension it was plugged into. No flames, but had I left it long enough, possibly?

I should perhaps stop buying the cheapest of the cheap :p
Well places like Dollarama in Canada and Poundland in the UK wouldn't exist if people didn't buy the cheapest of cheap. Just don't buy super cheap stuff when it comes to electrical, unless you enjoy smoke, fire, and explosions :)

For example, don't trust cheapo USB wall chargers unless you enjoy a good bang and scare one in a while :)

Re: The Thread Of Randomness

Posted: 05 Oct 2016 01:22
by Redirect Left
After the Speaker catastrophe, I switched to a pair of speakers i recovered from my grandmothers home after she passed a couple of months ago.
They're at least 15 years old, but these are mains powered. Good grief, they sound far better than the 2 USB powered speakers I had (one died of... old age i guess, and the other set on fire).

Well that tells me to never buy USB powered speakers, mains powered ones, even after 15 years, sound so much better!