The Thread Of Randomness

This is the place to talk about anything not related to Transport Tycoon itself.

Moderator: General Forums Moderators

Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: The Thread Of Randomness

Post by Redirect Left »

Overheard on a train today
"what's that on your arm?" "I gave blood yesterday" "don't do it too often, you can't get more blood!"
The IQ of everyone on the train lowered by several digits.
Need some good tested AI? - Unofficial AI Tester, list of good stuff & thread is here.
TimeLapse1357
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by TimeLapse1357 »

Redirect Left wrote: The IQ of everyone on the train lowered by several digits.
I didn't know that stupid was contagious. I must have been immunized as a kid.
Pilot
General Forums Moderator
General Forums Moderator

Post by Pilot »

Why do some companies think it's okay to email their customers at 0506 in the morning? That's just being a nuisance! :x
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

Pilot wrote:Why do some companies think it's okay to email their customers at 0506 in the morning? That's just being a nuisance! :x
Be thankful you're not under NHS payroll. They accidentally sent a message to all NHS staff, and some of them have asked to be removed from that email list.

By using the 'reply all' function, and sending another email to the entire of the NHS.
BBC News.
Need some good tested AI? - Unofficial AI Tester, list of good stuff & thread is here.
Pilot
General Forums Moderator
General Forums Moderator

Post by Pilot »

Redirect Left wrote:
Pilot wrote:Why do some companies think it's okay to email their customers at 0506 in the morning? That's just being a nuisance! :x
Be thankful you're not under NHS payroll. They accidentally sent a message to all NHS staff, and some of them have asked to be removed from that email list.

By using the 'reply all' function, and sending another email to the entire of the NHS.
BBC News.
I heard about that, I'm just hoping that Network Rail don't do that with all of the people they have contacts with. I don't mind if it stays internal of course :lol: I need to ask my cousin about that when I next see her, as she works for the NHS!
Ameecher
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Ameecher »

The company I currently work for manages to send emails to everyone by accident at least once a month when they only meant for it to go to head office staff. 18000 people later and a bucket load of reply alls and we can get back to work.
orudge
Administrator
Administrator

Post by orudge »

Do you have some sort of alert that wakes you up if you get an e-mail? I get all kinds of e-mails at all times of the day, and my iPhone makes a subtle little buzz, but nothing that disturbs my sleep.
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

My phone will only vibrate for GMail notifications. So i avoid the mail stuff \o/
Pyoro
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Pyoro »

Mine should vibrate, but it does it with the reliability of badly run public transportation service. Of course, it does work when the mail arrives at 5 in the morning and the phone is placed somewhere where the vibration will sound like an attack helicopter, but otherwise... ^^
Pilot
General Forums Moderator
General Forums Moderator

Post by Pilot »

orudge wrote:
Do you have some sort of alert that wakes you up if you get an e-mail? I get all kinds of e-mails at all times of the day, and my iPhone makes a subtle little buzz, but nothing that disturbs my sleep.
It was my work phone that went off, with the email (from Vueling) going to my work account. My work phone is on at all times, and I never normally turn it onto Silent before going to sleep, as normally I leave it downstairs.
Ameecher
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Ameecher »

My work phone goes off when I leave work unless agreed to be in for longer.
Contract is 9-5. Not 5-9.
Chrill

Post by Chrill »

Ameecher wrote:My work phone goes off when I leave work unless agreed to be in for longer.
This.

It's very important for me to know that when I leave work, I don't have to think about it until I return the next day. I use my work phone as my private phone (they're paying my subscription, YAY!) but I've simply turned off all email notifications and only deal with them at my work computer.
My Scenarios:
Archipiélago Hermoso (Latest Release: Version 3.2)
Turnpike Falls (Latest Release: Version 0.91)
Pilot
General Forums Moderator
General Forums Moderator

Post by Pilot »

Ameecher wrote:My work phone goes off when I leave work unless agreed to be in for longer.
I never switch it off, as I normally forget to turn it back on again in mornings. I also have to do work on weekends sometimes (normally during the Spring months, my 'season'), so will normally have my phone with me just in case. It normally gets left downstairs overnight, but for whatever reason, it had made its way up to my bedroom :?

I do need to split my work life from personal life sometimes, however, when your place of work is also your home, it is rather difficult I tend to find (I'm sure some people here will relate).
JamieLei
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by JamieLei »

I quite like having a separate work and personal phone, as I turn off my work phone the moment I leave the office and turn it back when I travel in the next morning. Just like having a lanyard; when I put it on, I'm in work mode.
Any opinions expressed are purely mine and not that of any employer, past or present.
Drury
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Drury »

Britain has passed the 'most extreme surveillance law ever passed in a democracy'

NSA was doing it wrong the whole time, they didn't even think to pass their crap as law! How very ineffective.

Only dumb people quote themselves, and only the truest retards put such quotes in their forum signatures
-Drury
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

One thing i enjoy the most about my voluntary work at rail stations is the people I meet. These 7 lads came over today dressed as all your favorite disney characters! They even played along with some young children who called them by the disney character they dressed as.
Nathanxbox20
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Nathanxbox20 »

I just discovered that my final exam for my AP Computer Science class is going to be written.
Kill.
Me.
Now.
I'm not normal. Because normal is stupid. And stupid is normal.
Life has no respawns.
A Locomotion, BeamNG.drive, and OpenTTD enthusiast and amateur photographer. Also getting into model railroading.
Pilot
General Forums Moderator
General Forums Moderator

Post by Pilot »

Nathanxbox20 wrote:Kill.
Me.
Now.
I'd rather not get done for Murder, ta for the offer though :lol:
orudge
Administrator
Administrator

Post by orudge »

It's -5°C outside, and my computer lives in the attic now. Apparently my GPU is currently 13°C, CPU 11°C, an "aux sensor" is showing 9°C, and my disks (one SSD, one HDD) are at 18°C and 15°C respectively.

Woo for free cooling!

I've had to stick a fan heater up there for when I'm actually physically up there using it though because it's bloody freezing! (In the summer I tend to need a fan, as it gets rather hot up there...)
SkeedR
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by SkeedR »

The car reported -8°c on my way back from Wishaw today...
Last known as: Weirdy

Return to “Off-Topic”