2021 storming of the United States Capitol

This is the place to talk about anything not related to Transport Tycoon itself.

Moderator: General Forums Moderators

Born Acorn
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: 2021 storming of the United States Capitol

Post by Born Acorn »

Off the back of further "planned events" showing up there for the 17th, it also seems now like the technology companies are making moves to remove Parler, the "free speech platform" from their services. Lots of supporters of the president have flocked there since its launch.

It's been removed from Apple, Google and Amazon stores as an app, as well as Amazon terminating hosting services, all for breaches of Terms of Service as Parler won't moderate the platform.

It is likely because the Democrats are about to take over scrutiny of such platforms rather than a real sense of morality.
Chrill

Post by Chrill »

Born Acorn wrote: 10 Jan 2021 21:55 It is likely because the Democrats are about to take over scrutiny of such platforms rather than a real sense of morality.
See, I was wondering why every tech company collectively opted to act just now.

I think Twitter did it for two reasons:
1. With Trump on his way out, they know there will be no legal push against them for banning him which could have happened with a GOP controlled Senate and a GOP President
2. It's easy to side with the winner, you know? They build goodwill amongst a majority of the world's population by banning Trump. #ThankyouTwitter trended for a long while after the ban

With Twitter going out first, they did take most of the negative reporting which made it far easier for Facebook, Instagram, Tiktok, and others to ban Trump. It also made it easier for Apple and Google to get rid of Parler.

Who knew access to everyone and everything online would destroy rather than enhance our democracy eh?
My Scenarios:
Archipiélago Hermoso (Latest Release: Version 3.2)
Turnpike Falls (Latest Release: Version 0.91)
GarryG
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by GarryG »

If they want to protest, then protest, march through the streets with their banners, block traffic, block entrances to the buildings,
but there is no need for violence and destroying property.

They had banners "Lets Make American Great Again" how can doing something like that make America great.
Soot Happens
Screenshot Of The Month Winner March 2020
All my projects are GPLv2 License unless stated.
Auz Road Sets: viewtopic.php?f=29&t=87335
Auz Project Releases: viewtopic.php?f=67&t=84725
Auz Trains: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=74193
Auz Industry Sets: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=74471
Auz Objects: viewtopic.php?f=26&t=75657
Auz Bridges: viewtopic.php?f=26&t=75248
Auz Stations: viewtopic.php?f=26&t=76390
Auz Tracks: viewtopic.php?f=26&t=82691
Auz Subway Stations: viewtopic.php?f=26&t=85335
Auz Eyecandy TramTracks: viewtopic.php?t=89908
Chrill

Post by Chrill »

Or we can put it in numbers. The George Floyd protests, with over 20 million participants in over 2000 cities and over 60 countries, has suffered the deaths of 19 people (mostly at the hands of police and anti-protesters, but some by BLM supporters). About 93% of all George Floyd protests have been deemed fully peaceful. In comparison, we now have 5 deathsfrom a single storming conducted by a group of roughly 1000 people, including one police officer who was genuinely bludgeoned by an American flag and a fire extinguisher. In addition, over 100 police officers required some sort of medical treatment, and at least 15 more have been hospitalised. And they dare tell us they are the peaceful ones, they dare tell us they defend the police, they dare tell us they are the beacons of democracy.

I'm thrilled that so many are facing charges, but I hope more people will be brought to justice in fair trials.
My Scenarios:
Archipiélago Hermoso (Latest Release: Version 3.2)
Turnpike Falls (Latest Release: Version 0.91)

Return to “Off-Topic”