Logging camp - forest replacement

Find and discuss all the latest NewGRF releases for TTDPatch and OpenTTD here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

Wahazar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Logging camp - forest replacement

Post by Wahazar »

I created simply newgrf, which build logging camp instead of forest in temperate and subarctic climate.

Logging camp is similar to tropical lumber mill - it cut trees and produce wood.
There is already some newgrf which allow lumber mill to appear in other than tropical climate, albeit it works exactly like lumber mill - must to be build by player.

In case of logging camp, this facility appears both on random map creation and during game play, and wood base price is like for temperate/subarctic wood.

The aim of this logging camp newgrf is to control tree growth, not only for aesthetic reasons, but also to keep compressed map weight within allowed download time limit.
Because logging camp is dismantled when run out of trees, new logging camp would appear in other place of the map and start to cut trees here.
Finally we would obtain a natural balance between forest area and logging camp number.
Bias of such balance depend on two factors:
1. multiple_industry_per_town setting - if set true, there would be large number of logging camps and small tree quantity (I recommend to switch multiple off if you want to preserve some forest in non-populated areas)
2. logging camp manpower setting - if setting is off, logging camp closure procedure is identical like for lumber mill - in this case industry is more stable, therefore more trees will be preserved.
If setting is on, logging camp would be dismantled almost instantly if run out of trees - such settings results in faster rotation of creation/annihilation of lumber mills, and trees would be catted more effectively.
Additionally, with manpower option on, you can deliver passengers to lumber camp - those passengers would be "stored" for while as working crew and protect your lumber camp against closure due to lack of tree. Passengers must to be delivered to logging camp houses.

Logging camp have 8 different layouts, 4 flat and 4 with slide. Some layouts are compact, some sparse - my intention was to protect some area against growth of nearby city or other players infrastructure.
Some graphics are just opengfx sprites slightly reworked.
Here are some examples of layouts (note: there is no snow- awareness yet):
flat layout
flat layout
loggingcamp-flat.png (197.16 KiB) Viewed 21407 times
slope-aware layout
slope-aware layout
loggingcamp-slide.png (412.81 KiB) Viewed 21407 times
Top of the hill is rather unsuitable for logging camp. It would protect some trees in high mountains.

Some tiles of logging camp layout have special meaning.
Grass tiles with heap of logs are productivity indicator - in case of no wood was produced in last month, heap is almost empty.
Grass tiles with three trunks are wood transport indicator - in case some wood was transported last month, logs heap appears.

Newgrf is not compatible with manpower industry - because it is already merged as a part of manpower industry,
but I decided to create standalone logging camp newgrf due to usefulness for long mutliplayer sessions with massive maps.
If other industry set is used, logging camp would appear as alternative wood source, instead of forest replacement.

Enjoy fruit of my work available on banana tree service.
Project source is on #openttdcoop Development Zone.
Last edited by Wahazar on 28 Sep 2014 22:09, edited 1 time in total.
Formerly known as: McZapkie
Projects: Reproducible Map Generation patch, NewGRFs: Manpower industries, PolTrams, Polroad, 600mm narrow gauge, wired, ECS industry extension, V4 CEE train set, HotHut.
Another favorite games: freeciv longturn, OHOL/2HOL.
PikkaBird
Graphics Moderator
Graphics Moderator

Re: Logging camp - forest replacement

Post by PikkaBird »

Very nice. :)
Dave

Post by Dave »

Great job!
Official TT-Dave Fan Club

Dave's Screenshot Thread! - Albion: A fictional Britain
Flickr

Why be a song when you can be a symphony? r is a...
V453000 :)
President
President

Post by V453000 :) »

That looks fun :D
ImageImageImage
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

Ah, that's lovely! I might actually want to see those layouts in OpenGFX+ Industries, too :) And / or maybe those wood tracks as objects in OpenGFX+Landscape (or a possible separate NewObject NewGRF).
Alberth
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Alberth »

Hmm, protecting forest by working as crew in a loging camp

Sounds a bit contradictionary :D

Couldn't you change it to "visiting a historic logging camp site"?
Being a retired OpenTTD developer does not mean I know what I am doing.
Eddy Arfik
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Eddy Arfik »

I'd like to use this in tropical alongside full FIRS economy, because that one replace the lumber mill with temperate style forest. Would it be possible to make this also for tropical?
Wahazar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Wahazar »

planetmaker wrote:Ah, that's lovely! I might actually want to see those layouts in OpenGFX+ Industries, too :) And / or maybe those wood tracks as objects in OpenGFX+Landscape (or a possible separate NewObject NewGRF).
You are welcome, but let me complete some features: missing NE, NW slope, snow-aware tiles and buildings, tile with animated smoke
- bonfire or maybe locomobile or stationary steam engine:
http://www.skagitriverjournal.com/WestC ... pragg.html
Animated smoke is useful if you seek for logging camp among the trees.
I want also add some other small buildings to get something similar to this:
(from https://greshamoregon.gov )

By the way, object have OBJ_FLAG_ALLOW_BRIDGE flag, is it possible to have such flag for industry tiles?
Alberth wrote:Hmm, protecting forest by working as crew in a loging camp
Sounds a bit contradictionary :D
Sorry, it looks like a small misunderstanding. Of course, working crew does not protect forest.
It protect unused (due to temporary lack of trees) logging camp facilities (all those precious huts and dirty tracks) against dismantling and vanishing.
Here is example of unprotected logging camp:
http://149.156.194.203/~mczapkie/Train/ ... tected.png
It is working well as long as there are tree within 40 tile range, but you if you forgot to plant new trees, it will be closed.

If passenger service (bus or railcar) is established, logging camp is protected and even if you are off-line, it will survive:
http://149.156.194.203/~mczapkie/Train/ ... tected.png
Of course, it would stop producing wood (unless some new will grow), but still will be idle.
BTW, you can also see on the minimap, that tree growth is tampered, even after 100 years of game.
It is a main purpose of this newgrf.
Eddy Arfik wrote:I'd like to use this in tropical alongside full FIRS economy, because that one replace the lumber mill with temperate style forest. Would it be possible to make this also for tropical?
Tropical is disabled, because I need to tweak logging camp layouts - by now, there are many foundations constrains and therefore this industry is located usually in valleys. In case of tropical climate, rainforest is located in mountains - it is maybe a reason, why tropical lumber mill occupy only 4 tiles.
Additionally, I can't replace FIRS industries, only original old ones.
Maybe I can override FIRS lumber yard Id (0h29), I didn't tried it and I'm not even sure, if such overriding is possible, safe and accepted.
Last edited by Wahazar on 29 Sep 2014 14:03, edited 2 times in total.
andythenorth
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by andythenorth »

There are many small buildings in FIRS and CHIPS that you could lift if you use GPL. Also ISR.

Over-riding FIRS industries is tricky, but probably possible, think it might depend on grf order though :)
If you want to do it as add-on, there are one or two free IDs but no guarantee they won't get used in future.
http://bundles.openttdcoop.org/firs/pus ... industries
Eddy Arfik
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Eddy Arfik »

I was thinking not to replace the forest in FIRS, but to add as extra for the tree-cutting purpose. As for the problem with tile layout, normal tropic maybe isn't so good with for that, but if you load a mountainous arctic heightmap as tropical climate, you get rainforest in valleys and on flat plateau :D Maybe I can look at the source to see if I can get the effect I'm after in my game
Nappe1
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Nappe1 »

This is great addition. :) definitely goes to our multiplayer server standard selection. :)
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

McZapkie wrote: You are welcome, but let me complete some features: missing NE, NW slope, snow-aware tiles and buildings, tile with animated smoke
- bonfire or maybe locomobile or stationary steam engine:
I don't know how you drew those tracks. I thought you just drew the tracks without ground and use them as overlay on top of the ground tiles which you then would not provide and which would then even adopt to whatever ground a player plays with.
McZapkie wrote: Animated smoke is useful if you seek for logging camp among the trees.
I want also add some other small buildings to get something similar to this:

By the way, object have OBJ_FLAG_ALLOW_BRIDGE flag, is it possible to have such flag for industry tiles?
Steam in order to find the logging camps might indeed be useful. Bridges currently cannot be over industries, but it might be possible to add such flag to industry tiles, too.
McZapkie wrote: Maybe I can override FIRS lumber yard Id (0h29), I didn't tried it and I'm not even sure, if such overriding is possible, safe and accepted.
It's much easier to add an industry and I'd not recommend to override a FIRS industry - it would tie your NewGRF to an exact version of FIRS (as things might change in FIRS). Replacement only makes sense IMHO when you to mimic also the production changes and adhere to the FIRS parameters. Better add it as an additional industry.
STD
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by STD »

Great job. Superbly done. :D
[OpenTTD] STD screenshots
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[OpenTTD] STD saved games - My finished scenarios and saves from the game
My Youtube channel - OpenTTD | Wiki xUSSR set (RU) | Wiki xUSSR set (EN) | Download the latest version of the xUSSR set
TT Screenshot of the Month - the page editor | Screenshot Of The Month Contest Winner: August 2017
Wahazar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Wahazar »

New version uploaded to bananas, with more flexible layouts.
It now works with tropical climate, but in this case, creation probability is zeroed - it is just lumber mill replacement,
and you must to fund it yourselves like lumber mill.
The reason is, that wood base price is higher than for other climates - I don't want to break such balance.
planetmaker wrote: I don't know how you drew those tracks. I thought you just drew the tracks without ground and use them as overlay on top of the ground
Of course, those track are transparent child sprite, some slopes were missing but now there are complete, all 4 plain slopes.
I'm using only GROUNDSPRITE_NORMAL by now and I don't now how those track looks like in case of snow - if contrast is too high, snowy tack must be provided.
andythenorth wrote:There are many small buildings in FIRS and CHIPS that you could lift if you use GPL. Also ISR.
Thank you, it would be great to add some "look and feel" related to ISR wood station.

I changed Industry Id to 3Fh to avoid conflict with FIRS.
Formerly known as: McZapkie
Projects: Reproducible Map Generation patch, NewGRFs: Manpower industries, PolTrams, Polroad, 600mm narrow gauge, wired, ECS industry extension, V4 CEE train set, HotHut.
Another favorite games: freeciv longturn, OHOL/2HOL.
3iff
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by 3iff »

I'm trying this now with my customised FIRS industry grf. One AI has already set up a wood carrying service.

It looks promising, good work.

One issue discovered, not sure if it's this grf to blame?

An AI created a passenger service (to grab a subsidy). It's in range to pick up passengers but not close enough to deliver passengers.
Logging Test, 13th Apr 1947.png
Logging Test, 13th Apr 1947.png (72 KiB) Viewed 20891 times
Kogut
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Kogut »

An AI created a passenger service (to grab a subsidy). It's in range to pick up passengers but not close enough to deliver passengers.
I would consider it as an AI bug - and it would be a good idea to report it to AI thread.
Correct me If I am wrong - PM me if my English is bad
AIAI - AI for OpenTTD
3iff
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by 3iff »

It's SimpleAI and I'd doubt that the bug would be fixed.

It seems that the path trails are considered part of the industry and therefore produce wood and passengers but only the cabins accept passengers. It could be changed to make the trail ends accept passengers and the 'problem' would disappear.

(just an idea, I'm not saying it needs changing)
Alberth
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Alberth »

3iff wrote:It seems that the path trails are considered part of the industry and therefore produce wood and passengers but only the cabins accept passengers. It could be changed to make the trail ends accept passengers and the 'problem' would disappear.
Several of the default industries also do this, so the AI would still be broken.
Being a retired OpenTTD developer does not mean I know what I am doing.
3iff
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by 3iff »

An interesting phenomenon. A new station has appeared that delivers passengers to the nearby town. The logging camp trails fall into the same station catchment area, result is passengers (crew) now get accepted by the logging camp.
Logging Test, 6th Jun 1974#1.png
Logging Test, 6th Jun 1974#1.png (92.78 KiB) Viewed 20745 times

Return to “Graphics Releases”