Ship pathfinding (no buoys!) [WIP]

Forum for technical discussions regarding development. If you have a general suggestion, problem or comment, please use one of the other forums.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

JazzyJaffa
Engineer
Engineer

Re: Ship pathfinding (no buoys!) [WIP]

Post by JazzyJaffa »

HackaLittleBit wrote: Found you a bug though, launch ship without orders and you get a crash.

In your patch could you please include below patch, it are the files you add to source.list
Ahhh, nice catch - will fix these two issues. Thanks for the testing, will def try with your distance patch!
Kalai
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Kalai »

Hello there!

Since last post I have seen was 2 years ago I would like to inquire on the progress of this wonderful addition.

Does it still need more testing or is it viable for ppl to use and go crazy?

I'd like to use it on a public server sometime soon, because ships have not been given much love, just because of buoys and the pestilence of making a route with them.

If more testing is needed I am sure we can test this to the fullest and abuse it in every imaginable scenario, so it can be polished and a short amount of time.

I await your response with great anticipation.
Alberth
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Alberth »

You don't really think that someone has continued working on this, found great new results, and decided not to post here about it, do you?
If not, what makes you think he/she would be convinced to come forward at this time due to your enquiry?

In other words, since noone posted new information in over 2 years, you can safely assume the thread has ended.
This property holds pretty much for every topic in every forum.
Kalai
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Kalai »

Cute.

If you'd come to a house with no lights on, wouldn't you knock on the door to see if anyone's in...out of...I don't know..common courtesy?

Besides, If no response is given, I'll just go ahead and see what has to be done to make this complete, put credit where credit is due and try to distance myself from snarky remarks.
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

Besides updating to the current code base, it would definitely need some profiling which attaches some numbers to the alleged gain in CPU for a ship-heavy map.

It would also be interesting to see how it deals and behaves when heavy landscaping is done. E.g. how does it determine and behave when I divide one of those 'path finder regions' into two parts which used to be one continuous one.

Return to “OpenTTD Development”