AIs and NARS2- problem with regearing

Discuss the new AI features ("NoAI") introduced into OpenTTD 0.7, allowing you to implement custom AIs, and the new Game Scripts available in OpenTTD 1.2 and higher.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

ostlandr
Chairman
Chairman

AIs and NARS2- problem with regearing

Post by ostlandr »

Hey gang!

First, a big thanks to the AI devs. Awesome work! I enjoy having competition in my games.

Okay, here is the issue: When I play with NARS2 and regearing on, the max cargo load is 1 - the number of engines. The AIs will send a train out to load 100%, but it never gets there, which doesn't work so well for them. :|

Besides using another engine GRF or disabling regearing (not gonna happen!) any suggestions as how to fix this without me personally having to rewrite the code for every AI? Seriously, I have been playing UK games with UKRS lately but I miss NARS2.
Who is John Galt?
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Re: AIs and NARS2- problem with regearing

Post by planetmaker »

Honestly, that sounds IMO indeed like an issue for the respective AI writers more than an issue for OpenTTD. They just don't support (so far) all possible NewGRF quirks...

A possibility might be to offer a newgrf support library for AI writers so that it gets easy for them to test for issues of this kind :) I'm not sure how feasable or sensible that would be, though.
Yexo
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Yexo »

Please report that issue in the AI topics for the AIs that have this problem. At least AdmiralAI v22 uses "full load any"-orders, so this problem should not happen.
ostlandr
Chairman
Chairman

Post by ostlandr »

OK, thanks. Will figure out which AIs are the offenders and ask the individual devs for support. Nice to know that Admiral will work fine with NARS2- I guess I can pick and choose the AIs so that only Admiral gets to run trains.
planetmaker wrote:Honestly, that sounds IMO indeed like an issue for the respective AI writers more than an issue for OpenTTD. They just don't support (so far) all possible NewGRF quirks...

A possibility might be to offer a newgrf support library for AI writers so that it gets easy for them to test for issues of this kind :) I'm not sure how feasable or sensible that would be, though.
Who is John Galt?
Zuu
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Zuu »

ostlandr wrote:Okay, here is the issue: When I play with NARS2 and regearing on, the max cargo load is 1 - the number of engines.
I don't want to be evil or anything, but have you made a typo in the formula or how is it supposed to be read?

If the formula would be

Code: Select all

max load = 1 - [number of engines]
A train with zero engines would at maximum be able to load 1 (what unit?)
A train with one engine would not be able to load anything (zero)
A train with two or more engines would only be able to load negative amount of cargo (how does that work??)

To me it seams that either I interpret the formula in another way than it was meant to be interpreted and/or there is a typo?
My OpenTTD contributions (AIs, Game Scripts, patches, OpenTTD Auto Updater, and some sprites)
Junctioneer (a traffic intersection simulator)
Yexo
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Yexo »

It's not a formula, "- the number of engines" is an explanation where the 1 comes from, ie with 1 engine the train can load 1 regearing, with 2 engines 2 regearing, etc. Regearing is a cargo that is used to refit trains to different liveries.

Return to “OpenTTD AIs and Game Scripts”