NARS2 - the North American Railway Set [2.52 September 2021]

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

Pack man
Engineer
Engineer

Re: NARS2 - the North American Renewal Set [2.03 28 Aug 09]

Post by Pack man »

An M1000, eh? I wonder if it ould it be better in 2CC; maybe make the brown the 2nd player color, or the stripes?
MarkSheppard
Engineer
Engineer

Post by MarkSheppard »

Pack man wrote:An M1000, eh? I wonder if it ould it be better in 2CC; maybe make the brown the 2nd player color, or the stripes?
Yeah, make the brown the 2nd player color.

What I meant by an "all 1cc" sprite was this example from NARS2 for the early F units:
AllBlue2.gif
AllBlue2.gif (3.08 KiB) Viewed 3247 times
If you have a script set up (which I do), it makes developing alternative liveries from it easy as pie -- since I can run the script to mass replace the colors (see the sprite below the all-blue one.).
NekoMaster
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by NekoMaster »

Nice, bringing in the electric PackMan made, and bringing in some more "experimental" trains.

Two MU's that could be added to the set that would provide more express passenger MU's

The Turbo-Liner (different from the UAC Turbo) which lived longer then the UAC Turbo and...

the Bombardier LRC Trains (Tilting Diesel MU's that where more successful with VIA Rails then Amtrak (Amtrak did get their own LRC but never really used it))
Image Proud Canadian Image
Nekomasters Projects! (Downloads available on BaNaNaS!) \(>^w^<)/
# NARS ADD-ON SET 2CC | 2cc Rapid Transit For Me! (2ccRTFM) | 2cc Wagons In NML (2ccWIN)
# NML Category System (Organize your GRFS!) <- TT-Forums Exclusive Download!
MarkSheppard
Engineer
Engineer

Post by MarkSheppard »

NekoMaster wrote:The Turbo-Liner (different from the UAC Turbo) which lived longer then the UAC Turbo and...
That the French-derived one?
NekoMaster
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by NekoMaster »

MarkSheppard wrote:
NekoMaster wrote:The Turbo-Liner (different from the UAC Turbo) which lived longer then the UAC Turbo and...
That the French-derived one?
The ones by ANF? I guess so, and just to make sure : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turboliner
# NARS ADD-ON SET 2CC | 2cc Rapid Transit For Me! (2ccRTFM) | 2cc Wagons In NML (2ccWIN)
Pack man
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Pack man »

Is there any chance of bringing in the livestock cars that are available in temperate to the other climates?

It's kind of a PITA having trains set up in the 1800s that trasport livestock, then have them traveling at 45mph in the 1960s...
MarkSheppard
Engineer
Engineer

Post by MarkSheppard »

Pack man wrote:Is there any chance of bringing in the livestock cars that are available in temperate to the other climates?

It's kind of a PITA having trains set up in the 1800s that trasport livestock, then have them traveling at 45mph in the 1960s...
Hmm. Apparently, "Modern Livestock Car" is available in Temperate and Winter, but not desert. Do you want it available in desert as well?

EDIT:

Updated version that has Modern Livestock available in Desert.
NARS2_All_Climates.grf
(10.71 KiB) Downloaded 72 times
MarkSheppard
Engineer
Engineer

Post by MarkSheppard »

Here's another minor update:
NARS2_All_Climates.grf
(10.95 KiB) Downloaded 101 times
What it does:

Identifies the GE Steeplecab electric -- it's a 40~ ton Class B Baldwin locomotive -- changes some of it's specs to be inline with the real thing -- there are examples of this model actually serving in freight duty in 2009!
BLW_40-50T_Steeplecab.png
BLW_40-50T_Steeplecab.png (67.81 KiB) Viewed 820 times
Identifies the Baldwin Boxcab as the Westinghouse AA1 built for the PRR and changes specs a bit.

Identifies the Alco/GE Boxcab as the EF-1 and changes it's model life to 50 years.

Changes the Model life of the GG1 to 50 years.

EDIT: If any of you are interested in early electric locomotives; I highly suggest downloading:

Electric Traction for Railway Trains by Edward Parris Burch from Google Books. It's full of information lost to the mists of time.
Pack man
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Pack man »

MarkSheppard wrote:
Pack man wrote:Is there any chance of bringing in the livestock cars that are available in temperate to the other climates?

Hmm. Apparently, "Modern Livestock Car" is available in Temperate and Winter, but not desert. Do you want it available in desert as well?

EDIT:

Updated version that has Modern Livestock available in Desert.
NARS2_All_Climates.grf
I don't think it's in artic in the default one either. Niether is the "middle (60mph)" livestock car. I'll try that grf in a bit.
MarkSheppard
Engineer
Engineer

Post by MarkSheppard »

Pack man wrote:I don't think it's in artic in the default one either. Niether is the "middle (60mph)" livestock car.
Looked at it, and apparently the Livestock/Cattle/etc cars are all one big spaghetti GRF: kind of like the RF16/Centennial; meaning I'd have to reimplement them.

Anyway, worked a little on the Big Blooooows tonight, and got raw code that sort of kind of works -- it needs to be polished up some:
Blowwww.png
Blowwww.png (12.97 KiB) Viewed 2916 times
The Irish
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by The Irish »

:shock:
how cool is that. Can't wait to give these a try.
*** Ce French Train Set ***
*** Visit my transport related pictures on Flickr ***
ImageImageImageImageImage
Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch
"A committee is a group of men who individually can do nothing but as a group decide that nothing can be done" (Fred Allen 1894-1956 US radio comic).
NekoMaster
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by NekoMaster »

I have so much free time that if needed I can play test anything, especially if it involves extra north american locomotives :3

Anyways great job Mack, I can't wait to see the rest of the stuff along with the GTELs. If possible though it would be nice if the gtel's where coded so that they wont run without their fuel tenders if they're seperate from the locomotives.

Mmmm.... can't wait to see them Turbines running miles of cargo along miles of rail, pulling their load like nothing
MarkSheppard
Engineer
Engineer

Post by MarkSheppard »

Slight problems encountered -- I need to shorten/lengthen my graphics by a few pixels in order to make them fit in seamlessly.
MarkSheppard
Engineer
Engineer

Post by MarkSheppard »

NekoMaster wrote:If possible though it would be nice if the gtel's where coded so that they wont run without their fuel tenders if they're seperate from the locomotives.
Actually, the first generation of GTELs and such ran without fuel tenders until around October 1955, when they were added to double range between refuelling stops thereabouts.
NekoMaster
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by NekoMaster »

Oh yeah I forgot that they had their own fuel storage on board like diesels, only they where filled with Bunker C oil :P

Hmm... perhaps adding the fuel tenders could make them run cheaper since they wouldn't have to stop and fuel up as often wasting time and fuel to get to a depot. The effect would only happen once no matter how many tenders there are just to keep players from spamming tenders with their GTEL's
MarkSheppard
Engineer
Engineer

Post by MarkSheppard »

Here's the Generation 0 Prototype, all corrected and laid in right -- it costs roughly $300,000~ base to buy and $30k/year in costs

I scaled it to be several times more expensive up front than a diesel locomotive -- Cotton Belt paid $7,037,865 for 43 x F7A and F7B units during 1950-52, for an average of $163,670 per unit; and to have running costs linear with NARS2 F7, e.g $7.7 dollars of running costs per year per horsepower.
ONAS_Big_Blows.grf
(4.58 KiB) Downloaded 104 times
ONAS_Big_Blows_Source.zip
(17.86 KiB) Downloaded 84 times
Rest of the GTELs will follow eventually, I just need to rework their graphics slightly.
NekoMaster
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by NekoMaster »

Tested the Gen 0 GRF, seems to be working fine. I would say though that it could either be one pixle shorter at the back end (where it couples) or move the alignment forward one pixel.
MarkSheppard
Engineer
Engineer

Post by MarkSheppard »

NekoMaster wrote:Tested the Gen 0 GRF, seems to be working fine. I would say though that it could either be one pixle shorter at the back end (where it couples) or move the alignment forward one pixel.
You mean the DEPOT/GUI stuff?
GTEL_NARS_COMP.png
GTEL_NARS_COMP.png (5.95 KiB) Viewed 2499 times
Top: GTEL G0
Middle: NARS2 F-Unit
Bottom: NARS2 RS-3

They all basically have one pixel coupling difference.

In related news; work moves forward on the other GTEL graphics to revise them.
Dark Warrior
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Dark Warrior »

Very cool stuff, I will try them out in a new game, thank you so much and please continue!
If I may ask, do you have any plans to add some new steamers to your set, like a Big Boy or things like this?
Spirit of Trains
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Spirit of Trains »

Ok, just by looking at the GTEL's makes it seen like to me that they will not have any trouble pulling a string of 50 loaded bethgon hoppers across the Rockies ( okay, maybe with some help from a Big Boy)! I know that this set is more of a generic set, but can you please make a GS-4 class steam engine by itself, separate from the northerns? If so, I'd also like a livery override for the passenger cars.

Return to “Graphics Development”