Weather framework

Forum for technical discussions regarding development. If you have a general suggestion, problem or comment, please use one of the other forums.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

Is weather a good/interesting feature?

Yes
87%
No
13%

Total votes: 175

Zephyris
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Weather framework

Post by Zephyris »

The point would be to add an extra recolouring....
RMJ
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by RMJ »

I like it A LOT, it really adds to the atmosphere of the game, but do keep it simple at start. instead of having it effect anything, dont yet, just add it now for looks only, (keep it simple) you see so many good patches die, because they have to many ambitions. :)

really hope this makes it in the game someday.
Feel free to join my server on 90.185.50.242. its coop, meaning 1 company to dominate the whole map :) its more random and not as pro as the Openttd Coop guys.
Wolf01
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Wolf01 »

it really adds to the atmosphere of the game
No, it adds the atmosphere to the game :D
Weather, day-night cycle and smog are the things I want to see in this kind of games, so, continue to develop this patch and I wish it will make in trunk!
Zephyris
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Zephyris »

Well I'm still very willing (and able :) ) to make graphics, just need borax to work out how to do palette replacement/screen colouring!
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

RMJ wrote:I like it A LOT, it really adds to the atmosphere of the game, but do keep it simple at start. instead of having it effect anything, dont yet, just add it now for looks only, (keep it simple) you see so many good patches die, because they have to many ambitions. :)

really hope this makes it in the game someday.
Very well put, RMJ. I can only second this statement. One small step after another is probably best than one big jump. And weather as an eye-candy effect is a great addition to the game by itself.
Zhall
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Zhall »

Sooo, i know this is a nubish question to ask.. but when the 32bpp/8bpp replacement set is completly done and weather/day night cycle implemented.. Can we just skip to 7.0?

Cant stop looking at the rain btw.
CommanderZ
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by CommanderZ »

Sapphire united wrote:Sooo, i know this is a nubish question to ask.. but when the 32bpp/8bpp replacement set is completly done and weather/day night cycle implemented.. Can we just skip to 7.0?

I guess devs would like to have some more not-so-eyecandy functionalities in 7.0...for example NoAI.
Wolf01
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Wolf01 »

Sapphire united wrote:Sooo, i know this is a nubish question to ask.. but when the 32bpp/8bpp replacement set is completly done and weather/day night cycle implemented.. Can we just skip to 7.0?

You forgot daylength, I will be able to run the game fast forward and take 20 minutes to pass a month, 'cause I want to see quickly how my company works on the first years, but with f-f I'll find there are already passed 5 years without doing nothing (and a trains made only 1 trip at year)
ostlandr
Chairman
Chairman

Post by ostlandr »

Awesome effort, gang! :bow:

I like the idea of weather effects. Just wanted to throw in a couple of things here:

1. "Sun Kinks" - after 1986 or so when CWR {Continuously Welded Rail} comes in, hot sunny weather will limit speeds to 70 mph or so for railroad track.

2. Broken rail in cold- in extreme cold, steel turns to peanut brittle. This should limit speeds and perhaps remove certain segments of track which have to be replaced.

3. Washouts- minor flood, all wooden bridges wash out (will need to disable when using Pikka's brick viaduct, which OTTD thinks is a wooden bridge). Major flood, all bridges and all track/road tiles adjacent to water are removed. This should be limited to an area of the map, perhaps?

4. As long as you folks are into coding weather, what about snowplows? Would it be possible to make snowplows useful? In this case, I mean a locomotive with 1 horsepower and a lot of weight which would clear snow-covered tracks. Of course, nobody would want to see animated V-plows, Jordan spreaders, and Rotaries in arctic, or during winter in temperate. . .
Who is John Galt?
CommanderZ
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by CommanderZ »

It is insane. Everyone plays with disabled disasters, why would someone add more (especially such brutal ones).
Gremnon
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Gremnon »

Realism.
Zhall
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Zhall »

ostlandr wrote:Awesome effort, gang! :bow:

I like the idea of weather effects. Just wanted to throw in a couple of things here:

1. "Sun Kinks" - after 1986 or so when CWR {Continuously Welded Rail} comes in, hot sunny weather will limit speeds to 70 mph or so for railroad track.

2. Broken rail in cold- in extreme cold, steel turns to peanut brittle. This should limit speeds and perhaps remove certain segments of track which have to be replaced.

3. Washouts- minor flood, all wooden bridges wash out (will need to disable when using Pikka's brick viaduct, which OTTD thinks is a wooden bridge). Major flood, all bridges and all track/road tiles adjacent to water are removed. This should be limited to an area of the map, perhaps?

4. As long as you folks are into coding weather, what about snowplows? Would it be possible to make snowplows useful? In this case, I mean a locomotive with 1 horsepower and a lot of weight which would clear snow-covered tracks. Of course, nobody would want to see animated V-plows, Jordan spreaders, and Rotaries in arctic, or during winter in temperate. . .
Soo under these rules the perfect condition is overcast?

Realism? To acheive realism you would have to completley outlaw 90 degree turns... fake airports would have to be implemented... everyone would have to build realistically, but i do see what your pointing at
Wolf01
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Wolf01 »

Sapphire united wrote:Realism? To acheive realism you would have to completley outlaw 90 degree turns... fake airports would have to be implemented... everyone would have to build realistically, but i do see what your pointing at
90° turns are completely unrealistic and I agree with that, but since I play offten with the original AI, it can't do anything without putting those /\/\/\ stupid segments all over its railways, so I must keep it active
With fake airports do you mean Richk67 airports?
OpenTTD, and TTD in general, allows you to build the way you want, I want to build "almost realistically", I don't care of the performance and I don't care if I build some "unrealistic" pieces like the load balancer, other people want to build "completely unrealistic", where their maps look like computer motherboards, with cliffs and mountains all planed and mainlines of 6-10 tracks
A minority of people want to build completely realistic, and their maps look like the dioramas and "my little railways" you can find in the hobby-shops

Realism doesn't mean you have to make all realistic, for example I like to have a more realistic scenery but not more realistic railways (I'm not looking for railway bends with different beam, like Locomotion or others)
And I like to have a fully flexible game which allows you to play from a sandbox where you can simulate electric circuits to a realistic simulation of transport management with micro-economy, advanced orders etc
davidx123
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

how do i add a patch

Post by davidx123 »

wow.what can i say?wow.
but how do you add the patch?or there is some new grf?
Your Faithful Student, Twilight Sparkle.
____
Visit my screenshot thread

thanks to Supercheese for help with the GIF.cheers.
Lordmwa
President
President

Post by Lordmwa »

My guess would be that this is a Dead patch as the last post of any files was February

Would be nice to see it revived though
The TT forums trivia tournament! Come along and join in the fun
http://www.funtrivia.com/private/main.cfm?tid=90722
borax
Engineer
Engineer

Post by borax »

Lordmwa wrote:My guess would be that this is a Dead patch as the last post of any files was February

Would be nice to see it revived though
It lost momentum as I got the info that there's currently only a 256color palette (which for course couldn't be edited) but there was some work being done to convert this to 32bit. As soon as that's done there shouldn't be any problems implementing this. The weather simulation part is quite well tested and I think it would be quite easy to add effects (like train slowdown etc). The hard part with this patch seems to be the graphics. Anyone that knows how far the 32bit conversion has come? Was a year since I looked at this last time...
CommanderZ
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by CommanderZ »

32bit palette is in trunk, but you have to enable it - see the wiki.

Return to “OpenTTD Development”