The Thread Of Randomness

This is the place to talk about anything not related to Transport Tycoon itself.

Moderator: General Forums Moderators

Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: The Thread Of Randomness

Post by Redirect Left »

JohnFranklin523 wrote: 18 Oct 2023 15:11 I heard a rumour that "KIA is dangerous"... at least KIA K2 is claimed to be the car with the worst safety record.
I did look at safety testing video for the Kia Xceed, it was mostly fine.

...until it ran over someone. They were testing the automatic braking if an obstacle was detected, and every time it worked... except once when it didn't and safe to say, little Timmy the crash test dummy was slightly injured.

I don't plan on driving dangerously, so what's the worst that could happen?!
Chrill wrote: 18 Oct 2023 12:18 Well, my Peugeot ordered in December is still not here sooo. :mrgreen: I will be picking it up in two weeks, I think!
Two weeks, not long to go for you! When i ordered mine, Kia estimated a delivery of end of November, i think its more likely to be end of January, if the boat from country of building goes well and doesn't sink mysteriously...
Need some good tested AI? - Unofficial AI Tester, list of good stuff & thread is here.
Chrill

Post by Chrill »

I'm very offended by the weather. The first snowflakes have started falling in Stockholm. Not enough to stay on the ground, mind you, but I'm not PREPARED for 6 months of eternal darkness.
My Scenarios:
Archipiélago Hermoso (Latest Release: Version 3.2)
Turnpike Falls (Latest Release: Version 0.91)
dol422
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by dol422 »

Chrill wrote: 20 Oct 2023 07:496 months of eternal darkness.
I'd rather that than the storm we're currently having here in England.
Take a look at: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=74993
Why do it tomorrow when you can do it today
ChillCore
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by ChillCore »

dol422 wrote: 20 Oct 2023 15:46
you sure? 6 months of that freeze, a year, made Björk .. just saying

I mean ... I do ... I (really do love that woman going 'wild'
-- .- -.-- / - .... . / ..-. --- .-. -.-. . / -... . / .-- .. - .... / -.-- --- ..- .-.-.-
--- .... / -.-- . .- .... --..-- / .- -. -.. / .--. .-. .- .. ... . / - .... . / .-.. --- .-. -.. / ..-. --- .-. / .... . / --. .- ...- . / ..- ... / -.-. .... --- --- -.-. .... --- --- ... .-.-.- / ---... .--.

Playing with my patchpack? Ask questions on usage and report bugs in the correct thread first, please.
All included patches have been modified and are no longer 100% original.
dol422
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by dol422 »

ChillCore wrote: 20 Oct 2023 20:32

Not the freeze, but I'll happily take the darkness.
Take a look at: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=74993
Why do it tomorrow when you can do it today
Chrill

Post by Chrill »

Oh but that storm is here now. Paired with the empty brown nothingness of Scandinavian fall. :P
My Scenarios:
Duhkhaa
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Duhkhaa »

dol422 wrote: 20 Oct 2023 20:42
ChillCore wrote: 20 Oct 2023 20:32

Not the freeze, but I'll happily take the darkness.
You'd soon fall into depression with the lack of vitamin D. :?
Chrill

Post by Chrill »

Duhkhaa wrote: 25 Oct 2023 14:42 You'd soon fall into depression with the lack of vitamin D. :?
Yes, in Sweden in the wintertime we all take Vitamin D supplements. And a lot of people have "sun lamps" or go to "sunlight therapy" which is essentially just fooling your brain into thinking it's daytime by using special UV lights and this triggers serotonin production in the brain.
My Scenarios:
JohnFranklin523
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

A crazy question: Penzance to Wick Challenge

Post by JohnFranklin523 »

I just want to ask about a crazy question:

Who has ever gone from Penzance to Wick by trains? :P
In the context of China, it should be Mohe to Sanya; in the context of Japan, it should be Wakkanai or Nemuro to Makurazaki. That means going from the very south to the very north by trains.
Well, only the craziest guys do it... :P
Leaping Liu Never Dies
跨越不死,曙光永生
The founder of China Set; the operator of JFServer.
My GRFs besides China Set
My Scenarios and Heightmaps
Pilot
General Forums Moderator
General Forums Moderator

Re: A crazy question: Penzance to Wick Challenge

Post by Pilot »

JohnFranklin523 wrote: 26 Oct 2023 07:29 Who has ever gone from Penzance to Wick by trains? :P
Whilst I've been to both locations by train, I've never travelled directly between the two. It's not really a journey you do to be fair as both towns are rather small.

It will involve either an overnight stay somewhere en-route, or the use of one of the sleeper services, and the Caledonian Sleeper to/from Inverness in particular is very expensive.
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

JohnFranklin523 wrote: 26 Oct 2023 07:29 Who has ever gone from Penzance to Wick by trains? :P
I just posted about someone who did a 13 hour journey, the longest single train in the UK over in random transport chat, it's quite a ride, much longer than Penzance to Wick!
Need some good tested AI? - Unofficial AI Tester, list of good stuff & thread is here.
Pilot
General Forums Moderator
General Forums Moderator

Post by Pilot »

Redirect Left wrote: 26 Oct 2023 13:31
I just posted about someone who did a 13 hour journey, the longest single train in the UK over in random transport chat, it's quite a ride, much longer than Penzance to Wick!
Aberdeen to Penzance isn't longer than Penzance <-> Wick. It is however quicker to change off the Aberdeen to Penzance service at Haymarket, get down to Birmingham, and pick up a CrossCountry in front.
Duhkhaa
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Duhkhaa »

Chrill wrote: 26 Oct 2023 06:21
Duhkhaa wrote: 25 Oct 2023 14:42 You'd soon fall into depression with the lack of vitamin D. :?
Yes, in Sweden in the wintertime we all take Vitamin D supplements. And a lot of people have "sun lamps" or go to "sunlight therapy" which is essentially just fooling your brain into thinking it's daytime by using special UV lights and this triggers serotonin production in the brain.
Super interesting! Does everyone do this or do some do without? As a Western European, I can't imagine living without UV rays for 6 months...
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

Pilot wrote: 26 Oct 2023 16:21 Aberdeen to Penzance isn't longer than Penzance <-> Wick. It is however quicker to change off the Aberdeen to Penzance service at Haymarket, get down to Birmingham, and pick up a CrossCountry in front.
Oh no, its not longer by far, which i even pointed out in my post, stating the longest single ride. I certainly wouldn't want to be on any train for more than 4-5 hours, hah. For anything longer, i'd probably just either A) look to see if I can get a plane there, or B) ...well its probably not worth the time it takes to get there anyway. :lol: At that point looking at photos other people made is easier, quicker & cheaper.
Duhkhaa wrote: 26 Oct 2023 16:29 Super interesting! Does everyone do this or do some do without? As a Western European, I can't imagine living without UV rays for 6 months...
I take vitamin D in England, a huge 4000IU, the maximum thought to be tolerable by the body, per day. however for me it is mostly as it (may) protect against relapses in Multiple Sclerosis, and conveniently Vitamin D is one of the cheapest things to prescribe someone, so its fairly routine to do it for MS sufferers in countries where sunlight isn't guaranteed frequently, or for people who rarely go outside anyway for X or Y reason.
CTarana45
Chairman
Chairman

I tricked my Flight Simulator

Post by CTarana45 »

I tricked my Flight Simulator and it worked! :lol: Every time I Red Baron in Defend it Failed! This time it placed the game into my FightSim Defend and it works!

Christopher Tarana
Attachments
4156714-red-baron-dos-front-cover.jpg
4156714-red-baron-dos-front-cover.jpg (73.05 KiB) Viewed 151568 times
Red Baron 1.jpg
(420.74 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Chrill

Post by Chrill »

Duhkhaa wrote: 26 Oct 2023 16:29
Super interesting! Does everyone do this or do some do without? As a Western European, I can't imagine living without UV rays for 6 months...
I would say probably 4 out of 5 eat Vitamin D supplements, but most people do not use these UV lights in their home. Maybe 1 in 10 do?
My Scenarios:
techwear
Engineer
Engineer

Post by techwear »

Duhkhaa wrote: 26 Oct 2023 16:29
Chrill wrote: 26 Oct 2023 06:21
I lived in Norway for several years. The first few days, even weeks, are fine. But after a while, you just can't stand the night. So you go for UV sessions and take supplements, otherwise it's unbearable.
Duhkhaa
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Duhkhaa »

Redirect Left wrote: 26 Oct 2023 20:10
I take vitamin D in England, a huge 4000IU, the maximum thought to be tolerable by the body, per day. however for me it is mostly as it (may) protect against relapses in Multiple Sclerosis, and conveniently Vitamin D is one of the cheapest things to prescribe someone, so its fairly routine to do it for MS sufferers in countries where sunlight isn't guaranteed frequently, or for people who rarely go outside anyway for X or Y reason.
I didn't know it was a problem in England too. I admit it's not always sunny in UK, but still...
Chrill wrote: 27 Oct 2023 14:31
I would say probably 4 out of 5 eat Vitamin D supplements, but most people do not use these UV lights in their home. Maybe 1 in 10 do?
1 in 10 already sounds crazy to me.
techwear wrote: 28 Oct 2023 15:54
I lived in Norway for several years. The first few days, even weeks, are fine. But after a while, you just can't stand the night. So you go for UV sessions and take supplements, otherwise it's unbearable.
I'm not surprised. I was thinking of moving to a Nordic country in the future, but it's a big turn-off. Still, they're wonderful countries. :))
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

Duhkhaa wrote: 28 Oct 2023 17:17
Redirect Left wrote: 26 Oct 2023 20:10
I didn't know it was a problem in England too. I admit it's not always sunny in UK, but still...
It was theorised by my nurses that a large portion of the UK is probably deficient in Vitamin D to some degree, especially outside of the height of summer. But most people have no reason to get blood tests done to show it. Apparently nearly everyone they do tests on is deficient to some degree, and they work with near all MS people so... is not enough vitamin D a cause of MS?! Probably not, but we don't know what causes MS so it also isn't entirely discounted, probably. It is more common in the northern hemisphere* though, and we have the most gloomy weather...

* after accounting for population differences, and averaging it out, you still get more in the northern hemisphere per 1000 people.
Chrill

Post by Chrill »

Duhkhaa wrote: 28 Oct 2023 17:17
techwear wrote: 28 Oct 2023 15:54
I'm not surprised. I was thinking of moving to a Nordic country in the future, but it's a big turn-off. Still, they're wonderful countries. :))
We do come with other advantages, including the wonderful nature and clean air. As well as lovely summers, where depending on how far north you go you can get 24 hours of sunshine uninterrupted. In Stockholm at the peak, the sun sets at around 10pm and rises again around 3:30am. Of course at this latitude, even after sunset it doesn't really get dark because the sun is essentially hovering just below the horizon. You can easily go for a midnight stroll or even a midnight bath in a lake in the moonlight.

But it is fair to point out I had a Brazilian friend who spent two winters in Sweden and then moved back home. He loved learning to go skiing, he loved the Swedish summers, but he could not cope with the winters. It was too dark, too cold, too isolated. Admittedly he is currently in the process of moving to Norway so we shall see how long he lasts. :mrgreen:
My Scenarios:

Return to “Off-Topic”