3d ottd

OpenTTD is a fully open-sourced reimplementation of TTD, written in C++, boasting improved gameplay and many new features.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

danharibo
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

3d ottd

Post by danharibo »

I notice that there are Lots of projects trying to make a transport gamefrom scratch . why, i mean ottd has All they need, all they would have to do is add a 3d Pathfinding lib and a 3d renderer (well, maybe a bit more). if anybody was to even consider not re-inventing the wheel, i would be glad to help :D
danharibo
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by danharibo »

ANYBODY?
:( im shure there are pepople who want to see a 3d Transport game.
StopRightThere
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by StopRightThere »

I do, but they are a bit hard to make, right? I remember from somewhere that the ottd team said they will NOT go 3D if that is what you are thinking. I like the idea tho.
Bye Bye OpenBVE :(
Official TT-Hot young ginger Doctor Who assistant FanClub
Formerly known as AdditionalData
danharibo
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by danharibo »

I don't mean" STOP!!!!!!!!!!!!! MAKE OTTD 3D INSTEAD" i mean:
"why not make a branch of ottd that is 3d, not just tos away the 2d side of it :( OK,?
AND, if people want it, il be glad to help code:
http://www.ogre3d.org
DaleStan
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by DaleStan »

danharibo wrote:AND, if people want it, il be glad to help code
You've got that backwards. The line you're looking for is "I'm doing thus-and-such. If you want to help, you are welcome to do so."
To get a good answer, ask a Smart Question. Similarly, if you want a bug fixed, write a Useful Bug Report. No TTDPatch crashlog? Then follow directions.
Projects: NFORenum (download) | PlaneSet (Website) | grfcodec (download) | grfdebug.log parser
danharibo
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by danharibo »

:x ok, so im doing it now? oh, well, im oging to attempt it :? and as he said, feel free to help
Ichi
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Ichi »

3D will probably screw up the gameplay. If you run a 512x512 map and connect all the industries your pc will start lagging in 2D, let alone 3D. So you wouldn't be able to work on big maps because it's simply not doable with these computers.
Don't panic
danharibo
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by danharibo »

um, ok, maybe a bit of optimisation would be requerd
Ethical
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Ethical »

Hey, sounds like a great idea to me.. and there are 3D models being build now, with some optomisation and decent texturing... I don't see why a 3D branch can't be built without causing great speed issues.. i mean, already the map *is* 3D.. I don't see why noone has noticed, it probably runs with more overhead on processing than one utilising something like openGL. If your still interested danharibo, let me know and we can discuss this further.
danharibo
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by danharibo »

ok, im still looking at the code of ottd, but feel free to contact me via msn or yim :D
Last edited by danharibo on 27 Jun 2006 21:09, edited 1 time in total.
noelc
Engineer
Engineer

Post by noelc »

danharibo wrote:ok, im intrested, im still looking at the code of ottd, but feel free to contact me via msn or yim :D
I think it is a case of "if you build it, they will come" :)
metalangel
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by metalangel »

TT *was* done in 3D, on the Playstation (original). Unfortunately, it ran really slowly (although it ran at proper speed if you played through an emulator) and the map was maybe a third its normal size.

Being 3D didn't add a heck of a lot to the game.

Can I ask why you have to make it 3D? What exactly will it being in 3D add to the gameplay, which is the whole point?
"(Locomotion is) one of the best-playing games of its type." -Chris Sawyer

Northeast Corridor - South Wales & the Southwest
danharibo
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by danharibo »

:roll: look, what im trying to say is some people ar over complicating things, transport empire, okay they have the base of te game done, but if anyother project was to start, why not take the exsisting code and ake it 3d? im not saying "lets make OTTD3d!" im sayaing "If you want to make a 3d game, just make OTTd3d it would requre skill, as you would need to re-code parts to deal with 3d space"
XeryusTC
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by XeryusTC »

Converting a game from 2D to 3D isn't as easy as it sounds, a 2D game is made for, well... 2D. This means that the engine isn't build for 3D and that it will be hard to change it. Making a 2D game 3D isn't just changing some rendering calls and you're done, you also need to add raytracing, material support and A LOT of other things.
And TE will be something totally different from OTTD, it isn't only a 3D game but it will also have a very different gameplay (check the forums or the DD once).
Don't panic - My YouTube channel - Follow me on twitter (@XeryusTC) - Play Tribes: Ascend - Tired of Dropbox? Try SpiderOak (use this link and we both get 1GB extra space)
OpenTTD: manual #openttdcoop: blog | wiki | public server | NewGRF pack | DevZone
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
WWTBAM

Post by WWTBAM »

or just get lomo its in 2d renderings of 3d models.
Formerly known as r0b0t_b0y2003, robotboy, roboboy and beclawat. The best place to get the most recent nightly builds of TTDPatch is: http://roboboy.users.tt-forums.net/TTDPatch/nightlies/
Scia
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Scia »

robotboy wrote:or just get lomo its in 2d renderings of 3d models.
That's about the same way the new graphics in OTTD will work if I'm correct.
If you don't render the 3D models in the blender thread in 2D, but you just put them as 3D in a game, then I wonder what kind of supercomputer/gfxcard you will need to run it. :roll: They are just so detailed :)
WWTBAM

Post by WWTBAM »

yeah
Formerly known as r0b0t_b0y2003, robotboy, roboboy and beclawat. The best place to get the most recent nightly builds of TTDPatch is: http://roboboy.users.tt-forums.net/TTDPatch/nightlies/
metalangel
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by metalangel »

*asks again whether making the game 3D will actually make it more fun, or if it'll be yet another pointless shoehorning of a 3D engine into a game that doesn't want nor need it*

Hey, let's make Tetris in 3D! It'll make a HUGE difference to how much you enjoy dropping bricks to clear lines! No, really! :roll:

tempus_46_2
Engineer
Engineer

Post by tempus_46_2 »

metalangel wrote:*asks again whether making the game 3D will actually make it more fun, or if it'll be yet another pointless shoehorning of a 3D engine into a game that doesn't want nor need it*

Hey, let's make Tetris in 3D! It'll make a HUGE difference to how much you enjoy dropping bricks to clear lines! No, really! :roll:
100% agree. 3D will only add issues, such as camera angles and loading times and all kinds of other problems still being ironed out in 3D games today. The only thing that I would like to see is a full 2D map with 3D vehicles.
swing on the spiral
metalangel
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by metalangel »

Not to mention the fact that if you wanted a game with hundreds of vehicles running like OTTD, your computer would be absolutely hammered trying to render them all in 3D at the same time as processing their AI and orders and such.

Return to “General OpenTTD”