The official-unofficial screenshot thread (non OT)

This is the place to talk about anything not related to Transport Tycoon itself.

Moderator: General Forums Moderators

EXTspotter
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: The official-unofficial screenshot thread (non OT)

Post by EXTspotter »

I've bought EU3: Complete (cos I am too poor to afford chronicles). With my friend's help on multiplayer we are trying to turn Navarra into a world power. He is playing as Aragon and acting as my bodyguard. Navarra has already gained Gibraltar as part of a join war against Granada, but it is still scarily poor and weak... If it was single player it wouldn't be possible to survive the onslaught.
Chrill

Post by Chrill »

It's very easy to survive as Navarra if you can side with either France or Castille early on. Flying solo it will not work. Aragon will get bashed and your ally will fight the other (Castille vs. France). By being clever and cautious, you can easily grab some Aragonese provinces, perhaps also jump some OPMs in South-Eastern Europe. From there and on, expand to South America ASAP.
My Scenarios:
Archipiélago Hermoso (Latest Release: Version 3.2)
Turnpike Falls (Latest Release: Version 0.91)
SquireJames
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by SquireJames »

In my EU3 game as an (early) Great Britain, Navarra is somehow the most economically and fiscally efficient nation on the planet. Not sure HOW that happened!

I agree that "Mega-Sweden" sort of blows, as it tends to mangle the rest of Northern/Central Europe when it forms. Same as how in my current CK2 game as the Duke of Lancaster, a "Mega-HRE" has formed, i.e from Finland to Belgium which tends to ruin any Franco-English rivalry as France is pretty paltry now. Still, the Crusades seem to be going well so there is that.
Chrill

Post by Chrill »

Sweden usually takes over all of Northern Europe due to a lack of competitors. Thanks to its size, it easily eats Denmark unless Denmark can unify with Norway. Which usually takes a while. Therefore, as soon as Sweden takes over Norway and Denmark and Finland, it turns to Russia where Novgorod and Muscowy suffer from each other + Golden Horde. By the time Sweden faces Golden Horde or Lithuania, Sweden is so strong that there is no stopping them.
My Scenarios:
Born Acorn
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Born Acorn »

I subscribe to PC Gamer (UK) and recently the "freebie" was EU3 Complete. I tried it as England and I got totally overwhelmed by France! Then the Welsh kept rising up! Bloomin Welsh!
Nawdic
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Nawdic »

Born Acorn wrote:Then the Welsh kept rising up! Bloomin Welsh!

Mwahahahaha!! :twisted: :twisted: :]
Very much a retired regular poster..... If you can say that :mrgreen:
Chrill

Post by Chrill »

Born Acorn wrote:I subscribe to PC Gamer (UK) and recently the "freebie" was EU3 Complete. I tried it as England and I got totally overwhelmed by France! Then the Welsh kept rising up! Bloomin Welsh!
The Welsh rising over England? I've never had that happen!! Also, the game's AI is notoriously bad at launching navy attacks. France rarely sends large troops to the English mainland. With England having two possessions in France (southwest + northeast) at start of game, just stack troops there and let wave after wave of Frenchies attack you. Then, after they have faded, you counterattack and can march to Île-de-France :D
My Scenarios:
Bad Hair Day
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Bad Hair Day »

I've rarely had French naval invasions as England, however the Spanish and the Ottomans are notorious for it, mainly because of my colonial expansionism. Things got worse when I was fighting Sunni muslim states in Asia and the Ottomans were defenders of the Sunni faith. Since the bulk of my forces were on the other side of the planet, it took a while for me to bring the situation under control.

Ottomans cause me a surprising amount of problems when I play a Western nation. As Byzantium however, I flatten them within a decade. Byzantium is fun until Castille/Spain starts land-grabbing in the Black Sea region. The race to westernise before you are utterly out-classed is a pain in the proverbial.
My OpenTTD screenshot thread.

Formerly known as Lankku / 2-10-0
Chrill

Post by Chrill »

I never bother westernising when playing a nation such as Byzantium. It is a greater disadvantage working towards westernisation than it is simply going for it as a "Muslim/Eastern" nation.

I desperately want to play a game as one of the Native American tribes, manage to westernise and then move over to conquering Europe. However, I never manage to do it :P
My Scenarios:
CmdKewin
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by CmdKewin »

Chrill wrote:I never bother westernising when playing a nation such as Byzantium. It is a greater disadvantage working towards westernisation than it is simply going for it as a "Muslim/Eastern" nation.

I desperately want to play a game as one of the Native American tribes, manage to westernise and then move over to conquering Europe. However, I never manage to do it :P

Cheers. http://www.paradoxian.org/eu3wiki/Ameri ... s_Analysis

That and http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/sho ... -MEIOU-AAR
"I'm an engineer!"
http://www.cmdkewin.net/ (Out of Order)

Eve: Since Beta Phase 2
Civilizazion Fan: Seems like forever...
SimCity Fan: SC 2000 is still the best
TT Fan: Since 1995
Switzerland: Since 1291
Chrill

Post by Chrill »

Yes, I know all the tactics, I just can't quite make it. I get slaughtered brutally by them! Usually it is the Portuguese but many a time I get the French or Castille knocking on my door anyway. Not too happy about that!
My Scenarios:
SquireJames
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by SquireJames »

My CK2 game is going well. My character, Ulf, was Duke of Lancaster, Duke of York, Duke of Oxford, Duke of Norfolk, Duke of Hereford and Duke of Gloucester, and had a number of smallholdings in North Wales and Sussex. He only had one heir, a daughter named Jeanne, so I decided to split his demesne into three, giving the Duchy of Oxford to his eldest brother, and the Duchy of Norfolk to his next eldest. Oxford somehow became a Republic, with his brother becoming Doge. King Godred went to war over the various Welsh counties, and managed to conquer and unite them, but the new Duke of Gwynedd (Ular or something) betrayed him soon after, declared independence and managed to form the Kingdom of Wales. It didn't last long, as the King returned and took the crown of Wales.

There was a few years of peace. Ulf died, and Jeanne became Duchess of Lancaster. Through a cunning agreement I managed to wangle when they were very small, she was betrothed to a minor Prince of England, Aelrict. However the war in Wales killed off the Kings two eldest sons, so he became Crown Prince. After a few years of regency (because Jeanne was only 12 when she came to power), and waiting for Aelrict to be old enough to marry, the old King Godred died and Aelrict became King, albeit with a regent. Jeanne managed to marry Aelrict matrilineally so basically their children are of the House of Lancaster and their eldest, Richard, will become King :) Took two hundred years but Lancaster gets the crown!

All hell broke loose however, when basically all the Dukes of England one by one declared war to become independent, probably due to all those years of regency. It was tough, being the only one that didn't rebel, but together the King Aelrict and Queen Jeanne smashed the rebels and restored order. Pretty much all the Dukes are in prison at this point, and the King lead another successful campaign into Scotland (which for some reason has an independent Galloway) and takes Lothian.

Ireland meanwhile has apparently got it's crap together and is now a single kingdom, which is surprising. France is having repeated problems with it's Dukes splitting off and being independent (Gascoigne and Aquitaine apparently). The HRE owns pretty much all of Europe. The Pope somehow took Greece from the Byzantine Empire, but we just got the Golden Horde event thingy, so the Mongols will be arriving any moment :)
Bad Hair Day
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Bad Hair Day »

I read the entire thing and it was glorious.
My OpenTTD screenshot thread.

Formerly known as Lankku / 2-10-0
Pyoro
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Pyoro »

CKII is best when it writes its little random stories - for example, here we see Kaiser Friedrich I of Hohenstaufen (who happened to be crowned Kaiser in exactly the same year as the historic Friedrich I) trying to establish a tradition of giving the HRE successor (and incidentally his brother-in-law) a "good tumble". Unfortunately it didn't catch on.
CKII.png
CKII.png (693.41 KiB) Viewed 1724 times
Otherwise I'm currently Duchess of Schwaben and Duchess of Anjou which basically makes me randomly ally/enemy of either the HRE or France, depending on who's currently trying to claim my lands. A rather stressful period in my otherwise peaceful CK+ save ^^
SquireJames
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by SquireJames »

That's why I stay out of European Politics :lol: You're either being annexed by the HRE, France, Sweden or Spain, depending on where you are. I'm safe on my Isle of Albion :)

or apparently, molested by your Brother-in-Law :P

Started a new CK2 game using the CK2+ Mod, along with a mod for better titles and such. Currently King Robert I of England in 1107. I've taken a good slice of Scotland (the entire Duchy of Lothian in fact) and a part of the independent Duchy of the Isles (namely Galloway). I've also managed to acquire the Cardiff area (can't remember the county name used in CK2) and I am currently waiting for my Chancellor to fabricate a claim on Glamorgan :)

I helped the Pope on the 1st Crusade, and in fact was the victor in the only battle that Christendom has currently won in that crusade. Got the Crusader trait, fought alongside a Papal Army but lost, and so decided to call the job a good un and stay at home. Duke Morcar of York was trying to kill my wife for reasons best known to himself, so I had him imprisoned and his titles stripped. He's now little more than a courtier of Lancaster (since he was the brother of the current Duke of Lancaster). Try and kill my loved ones will ye!
Pyoro
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Pyoro »

SquireJames wrote:That's why I stay out of European Politics :lol: You're either being annexed by the HRE, France, Sweden or Spain, depending on where you are. or apparently, molested by your Brother-in-Law :P
Precisely the point of playing a Count in one of those regions - it's were you can go for the crazy things and have justifications for doing so. For example, Friedrich I the Tumbler also married his second son to his grand-daughter, in case Friedrich (the son) was elected Emperor (basically than Id went on playing him instead of his older brother Udo, but I wanted to make sure Walpurga's duchy stays in the main family branch either way and apparently this didn't count as incestuous - at least the children are healthy (except for the dead ones ^^))
CKII.png
CKII.png (705.86 KiB) Viewed 1708 times
The only real downside to being Count/Duke inside one of the bigger countries are wars against outside forces; ie. as mentioned before I own Schwaben and Anjou, as vassal of France, but the HRE obviously has claims on Schwaben - so they declare war on France, and fight for my provinces, but I can't join the war as it's a "war of my liege". Of course I still can go and do some fighting, but the AI won't recognize armies as allies, my vassals won't see it as a "defensive war" and other annoyances ...
...one of the two things that regularly annoy me, the other one "losing control" of grand-children because they stay at another court - they too often end up with lousy marriages and eduction and it's beyond player-control, even if you know they'll lead your dynasty in two generations. I want a "that's my future heir, hand him over to my court" event ^^;
JGR
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by JGR »

The gremlins are clearly at work.

This is also a rather good representation of how my work induction has been going the past few days...
Attachments
B4_web.png
(237.08 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Ex TTDPatch Coder
Patch Pack, Github
Drury
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Drury »

PBS - the game?

Only dumb people quote themselves, and only the truest retards put such quotes in their forum signatures
-Drury
welshdragon
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by welshdragon »

JGR wrote:The gremlins are clearly at work.

This is also a rather good representation of how my work induction has been going the past few days...
That's nothing...
Semi-Retired TT-Forums Member.
These days I'm:
[list][*]A Local Transport Representative for Bus Users Cymru
[*]Social Media Advisxer for Bus Users Cymru
[*]Volunteer and Fundraiser for Guide Dogs[/list]
flickr | twitter | YouTube | Facebook | Steam

I used to be an idiot called tycoonmarkj.
EXTspotter
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by EXTspotter »

Playing on EU3 - In Nomine. I am currently playing a single player game as England and a multiplayer game as Castille (with my friend playing as Navarra). In both I am currently having problems with Morocco.

In the single player game I attacked Morocco with help from my vassals; Brittany and Tripoli, however was unable to make much of the war. This meant at the end when suing for peace all I got was Tlemcen (a coastal province) and Sus (an inland province which I wanted because it produces Gold). Annoyingly some time after this, Castille attacked Morocco and gained al of the provinces surrounding Sus meaning that the gold is useless as it cannot be traded anywhere due to the Spanish land blockade. In my second Moroccan war, I gained Marrakech (the final province) and vassallised it, which lead me to give Sus back to Morocco as they could probably do more with it than I, forgetting that I had changed them from Sunni Muslims to Catholics :S.

In the multiplayer game, a massive group lead by me (Castille) and including France, Portugal and Navarra attacked Morocco. Everyone except Navarra was getting destroyed, which lead Navarra to gain Atlas and Melilla (which they sold back for much money) and me to gain Fez. After this, however France had accidentally left 3000 men in Fez who were then trapped by the Moroccan blockade of the city. Unfortunately for me I needed to build up a huge army to beat the moroccans the second time around, but the French people were taking up 3000 of the 15000 maximum troops which could be in the province and I am now thinking about starting a war with france to kill the 3000 french troops and then getting white peace before they destroy me at home. I forsee much pain in my future....

Return to “Off-Topic”