New Graphics - Blender ".blend" thread (Works In Progress)

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

ArmEagle
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Re: New Graphics - Blender ".blend" thread

Post by ArmEagle »

gt1750 wrote:Good work! I don't think the rails can be done any better than this.
Yeah, the problem that remains lies with he grass parts of the sprites. For 32bpp they were designed to 'stand up', thus overlapping tiles behind. This sometimes also overlaps tracks behind a rail/grass tile.

I guess, ultimately, track tiles, bridges, tunnels, etc, should just have a base ground sprite and a track sprite over/trough it. Bridges, tunnels, etc would then have to have a 'front' and 'background' sprite, but don't bridges already do so somewhat?
Katran
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Katran »

Wonderful! :bow:
Remained only oblique rails draw. :roll: Sprites 1031-1034.
Jupix
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by Jupix »

Oh my, new rails. That's very cool indeed. I can't wait till you guys get a complete set, those rails are probably the 32bpp set I'm most looking forward to.
#################
Varivar
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Varivar »

Hi all,
I' ve made a 32bit version of the tropical flat #4.
1x1_flats_trop4_32bit.png
1x1_flats_trop4_32bit.png (120.24 KiB) Viewed 3977 times
It' s my very first building for OpenTTD and i hope you like it.

I have a question:
Do I have to render the building from all the four angles? This page says so, but when I play OpenTTD, I don' t see rotated buildings.

I haven' t included offsets in the image and such things and i also haven' t checked if the size of the building matches with other buildings, so it could be that it' s a bit too big or small.
Mchl
Director
Director

Post by Mchl »

AFAIK it's not necessary to render all 4 views. The wiki page is more than two years old, when the 32bpp was quite different in OTTD.

On the other hand, if you do render 4 views, there's more variety. Extra views could be used to create extended grf file.

Your model looks nice. What gives it a bit of weirdness, are baloconies on each side of the corner. Perhaps you could move all windows and balconies on right-side wall to the right...
And there's also some kind of optical illusion, that I find hard to describe.... :?
athanasios
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by athanasios »

You are right. Both doors lead to the same room. So the 2 balconies could be made 1 going around the corner. Balconies are pretty small, so combining them would look better. Also the top one doesn't make any sense. It should go around all the roof. And roof doors aren't so big. You could make the roof door narrower and thus add variation to your building.
http://members.fortunecity.com/gamesart
"If no one is a fool I am also a fool." -The TTD maniac.

I prefer to be contacted through PMs. Thanks.
Varivar
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Varivar »

Mchl wrote: Your model looks nice. What gives it a bit of weirdness, are baloconies on each side of the corner. Perhaps you could move all windows and balconies on right-side wall to the right...
And there's also some kind of optical illusion, that I find hard to describe.... :?
I' ve improved the flat, the balconies on the corner looks better now. I' ve also fixed the optical illusion on the left side of the building. There' s more detail now.
1x1_flats_trop4_32bit.png
1x1_flats_trop4_32bit.png (112.9 KiB) Viewed 3643 times
Zephyris
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Zephyris »

Mmm, that looks very good :)
Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Purno »

Very nice. Is that company color blue? (or does something like that not exist in 32bpp?)
Contributor to the The 2cc Set and Dutch Trainset. Inventor of the Metro concept. Retired Graphics Artist.
Image Image
Download TT | Latest TTDPatch | OpenTTD | OpenTTDCoop | BaNaNaS: OpenTTD content system | 2048² OTTD scenario of the Netherlands
GRF Codec | GRF Crawler | GRF Maker | Usefull graphics & tools sites | NML Documentation Wiki | NFO Documentation Wiki
All my graphics are licensed under GPL. "Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else."
Varivar
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Varivar »

Purno wrote:Very nice. Is that company color blue? (or does something like that not exist in 32bpp?)
No, as far I now city buildings don' t have company colors. The balconies are blue because the original 8bit version has blue balconies. but maybe I can make different versions with different balcony colors for some variation.
Zephyris
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Zephyris »

This building does use cc for variation, the balconies should be cc
Varivar
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Varivar »

Zephyris wrote:This building does use cc for variation, the balconies should be cc
Ok, here are the red and the white versions. I think that are enough colors. These aren' t the official company colors, does that matter?
1x1_flats_trop4_32bit_red.png
1x1_flats_trop4_32bit_red.png (110.79 KiB) Viewed 3636 times
1x1_flats_trop4_32bit_white.png
1x1_flats_trop4_32bit_white.png (112.65 KiB) Viewed 3650 times
Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Purno »

Is making a cc version that complicated?
Contributor to the The 2cc Set and Dutch Trainset. Inventor of the Metro concept. Retired Graphics Artist.
Image Image
Download TT | Latest TTDPatch | OpenTTD | OpenTTDCoop | BaNaNaS: OpenTTD content system | 2048² OTTD scenario of the Netherlands
GRF Codec | GRF Crawler | GRF Maker | Usefull graphics & tools sites | NML Documentation Wiki | NFO Documentation Wiki
All my graphics are licensed under GPL. "Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else."
Zephyris
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Zephyris »

For trunk it requires an extra 8bpp png with the company colour drawn as normal. For the extra zoom levels patch it requires an extra png which masks of the areas which are to be company colour, the luminance of the base pixels is then maintained and the hue altered.
Varivar
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Varivar »

Zephyris wrote:For trunk it requires an extra 8bpp png with the company colour drawn as normal. For the extra zoom levels patch it requires an extra png which masks of the areas which are to be company colour, the luminance of the base pixels is then maintained and the hue altered.
And how do I make such an extra png? (sorry, I' m not good in such things :( )
Zephyris
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Zephyris »

For trunk you can use paint to pixel-paint the extra png. For the extra zoom levels it depends greatly on which program you are using, the best place for help would be the extra zoom level thread.
athanasios
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by athanasios »

Nevertheless, awesome work!
http://members.fortunecity.com/gamesart
"If no one is a fool I am also a fool." -The TTD maniac.

I prefer to be contacted through PMs. Thanks.
Varivar
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Varivar »

athanasios wrote:Nevertheless, awesome work!

I've searched through the grf files, but I can' t find the mask file for the balconies :( . The different colors on this building aren't company colors, because they doesn't belong to any player. The colors are there to give the building more variation. I've asked in the extra zoom lever thread for help. Anyway, I've rendered the building in three different zoom modes, they are in the attachment. They have correct names, but they don't have offsets. I would be very happy if someone here is able to code them for the game.

I' ve also worked on a second building, the tropical flat #3. Currently it is a bit undetailled, it needs more detail.
1x1_flats_trop3_32.png
1x1_flats_trop3_32.png (69.14 KiB) Viewed 3014 times
Attachments
4610_32bit.zip
(138.22 KiB) Downloaded 156 times
maquinista
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by maquinista »

Varivar wrote:
athanasios wrote:Nevertheless, awesome work!

I've searched through the grf files, but I can' t find the mask file for the balconies :( . The different colors on this building aren't company colors, because they doesn't belong to any player. The colors are there to give the building more variation. I've asked in the extra zoom lever thread for help. Anyway, I've rendered the building in three different zoom modes, they are in the attachment. They have correct names, but they don't have offsets. I would be very happy if someone here is able to code them for the game.

I' ve also worked on a second building, the tropical flat #3. Currently it is a bit undetailled, it needs more detail.
1x1_flats_trop3_32.png
I can try it. I will attach the coded model in this post:
http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?p=717300#p717300
Last edited by maquinista on 11 Aug 2008 13:47, edited 1 time in total.
Sorry if my english is too poor, I want learn it, but it isn't too easy.[/list][/size]
BerberJesus
Engineer
Engineer

Post by BerberJesus »

realy good work, Varivar!
sorry for my poor english ;-)

Return to “Graphics Development”