32bit Extra Zoom Graphics Works In Progress

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

Thief^
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Re: [32bpp] Extra zoom levels Graphics

Post by Thief^ »

IMO the trees look a little out-of-place, they're just pasted onto the grass and not in it.
Perhaps it needs some mud around the base of the tree or leaves on the ground or something to blend it in.
Melt with the Shadows,
Embrace your destiny...
maquinista
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by maquinista »

Thief^ wrote:IMO the trees look a little out-of-place, they're just pasted onto the grass and not in it.
Perhaps it needs some mud around the base of the tree or leaves on the ground or something to blend it in.
That's true, I think that It could be done with GIMP (very carefully WITH!!!!! the brush and eraser) in the future, with all trees done.
Varivar wrote:Maquinista, your tar is a a bit outdated, as it doesn't contain tree 1667-1673. Also it uses an old version of a tree (with weird pixels). Thanks for coding, but I already coded them earlier :wink:. It wasn't as hard as I thought it would be.
Yes, I have deleted the outdated file.

About the progress: there are 11 trees unclaimed and 8 done. This is a very good progress.
Sorry if my english is too poor, I want learn it, but it isn't too easy.[/list][/size]
Teemes
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Teemes »

:shock: hey, visual png codec is a really useful tool - that I didn't know about before! Thanks for the hint, hyperion
Varivar
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Varivar »

maquinista wrote:
Thief^ wrote:IMO the trees look a little out-of-place, they're just pasted onto the grass and not in it.
That's true, I think that It could be done with GIMP (very carefully WITH!!!!! the brush and eraser) in the future, with all trees done.
I tried to render the trees with some self made grass first, but it didn't look so good. So maybe it's better to do this with Gimp. Too bad I'm not good with Gimp, so maybe someone competent can give it a try.
maquinista
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by maquinista »

Varivar: I have coded the tree. It looks very good. I have reduced the size (50%) because It was a bit big.

If You code more landscape trees, You can include these files in the next TAR file.
Attachments
coded file
coded file
4626_z0.png (6.48 KiB) Viewed 4484 times
street_tree.bat
bat file.
(45 Bytes) Downloaded 178 times
Screenshot.
Screenshot.
street_trees.JPEG (105.79 KiB) Viewed 4481 times
Sorry if my english is too poor, I want learn it, but it isn't too easy.[/list][/size]
Alberth
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Alberth »

Absolutely amazing what you guys make.

However, I was just wondering about the trees. Are they supposed to be dark at the sunny side (right), and light at the shadowy side (left)?
Varivar
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Varivar »

Thanks for coding. To make downloading easier for users, I've added it to the varivar_trees tar file.
Alberth wrote:Absolutely amazing what you guys make.

However, I was just wondering about the trees. Are they supposed to be dark at the sunny side (right), and light at the shadowy side (left)?
Not really, but it's really hard to make blender render the trees the way they should look. I couldn't get a better result than this. Btw, I don't think the difference in brightness between both sides is very big and visible.
Attachments
Varivar_trees.tar
updated with the temperate roadtree
(1.05 MiB) Downloaded 483 times
tsjook
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by tsjook »

Varivar wrote:
Alberth wrote:Absolutely amazing what you guys make.

Not really, but it's really hard to make blender render the trees the way they should look. I couldn't get a better result than this. Btw, I don't think the difference in brightness between both sides is very big and visible.
Maybe, but I do agree with Alberth: a bit of shading would make the trees much more fitting compared to the buildings. And a (tiny?) bit of shade too.
maquinista
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by maquinista »

Maybe It could be retouched with GIMP. I have tried two changes. If You like it, I will upload the sprite. Note that streetlamps should have a shadow.
Attachments
Reversing the sprite.
Reversing the sprite.
tree_reversed.JPEG (107.29 KiB) Viewed 4426 times
Adding shadow and reversing the sprite.
Adding shadow and reversing the sprite.
tree_shadow.JPEG (107.33 KiB) Viewed 4426 times
Varivar
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Varivar »

I have to admit that it looks better now. I'd go for the last version with shadows.
maquinista
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by maquinista »

This is the file:
Attachments
sprite
sprite
4626_z0.png (6.64 KiB) Viewed 4351 times
street_tree.bat
bat file
(45 Bytes) Downloaded 152 times
Roujin
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Roujin »

Yesterday I decided to run a bit 32bpp extra zoom for viewing pleasure - as the "mega pack" that floats around hadn't been updated in a while I just compiled my own set of replacements by downloading most of the stuff listed on the 32bpp extra zoom levels wiki page (filtering out doubles).

However, I could not get the dutch catenary to work - does anyone of you have similar problems, or does it run for you?
I know that I need to activate the corresponding .grf. Maybe I have the wrong version of the newgrf (the one I got is in the openttdcoop package), but the download page linked to from the wiki seems to be down :(

Furthermore, are Wotan's stations really "Extra zoom"-32bpp? When zoomed in, they're looking really weird to me :/
Here's a screenshot:
wotan's stations.png
(1.16 MiB) Downloaded 2 times
And another, just for viewing pleasure :)
32bpp awesome.png
(1.65 MiB) Downloaded 2 times
Thanks to everyone making these splendid graphics, and for making and maintaining the extra zoom patch :)
* @Belugas wonders what is worst... a mom or a wife...
<Lakie> Well, they do the same thing but the code is different.

ImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
cmoiromain
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by cmoiromain »

That second picture is really pretty!
I am little, ugly, and nasty. How do you do?
maquinista
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by maquinista »

Thanks for your bug report and your nice screenshot. Maybe the error is in the name of the GRF file or the TAR file. I will try fix it.

Also, I want fix the problem with the electric railways, because the overhead wire and pylons are shown.
ArmEagle
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by ArmEagle »

Roujin wrote:However, I could not get the dutch catenary to work - does anyone of you have similar problems, or does it run for you?
I know that I need to activate the corresponding .grf. Maybe I have the wrong version of the newgrf (the one I got is in the openttdcoop package), but the download page linked to from the wiki seems to be down :(
Hi,

shame the download page got (re)moved. I haven't poked at openttd for quite some time. But you could try either/both dutchcat from http://users2.tt-forums.net/dutchset/downloads.php . I guess there's a difference between the DOS/Windows. And since I mentioned dutchcatw.grf (which isn't available anymore like that either) I guess the best try is the windows version.

I still think the pylons (or all of it) need to be redone by someone who DOES know his graphics work. It works for now (certainly is better than the 8bpp alternative), but it's not good enough for the real thing.
Varivar
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Varivar »

ArmEagle wrote: shame the download page got (re)moved. I haven't poked at openttd for quite some time. But you could try either/both dutchcat from http://users2.tt-forums.net/dutchset/downloads.php . I guess there's a difference between the DOS/Windows. And since I mentioned dutchcatw.grf (which isn't available anymore like that either) I guess the best try is the windows version.

I still think the pylons (or all of it) need to be redone by someone who DOES know his graphics work. It works for now (certainly is better than the 8bpp alternative), but it's not good enough for the real thing.
It would be best if someone could draw a real replacement for the original 8bpp graphics, rather than a replacement for a newgrf file. That would make downloading and installing much easier.

I've updated the varivar_trees.tar file with the improved city tree from Maquinista. I also improved the modern office block. I will draw more trees soon.
Attachments
Varivar_trees.tar
city tree updated
(1.05 MiB) Downloaded 3111 times
Varivar_Temperate_houses.tar
graphics update
(1.31 MiB) Downloaded 1931 times
example
example
final.png (144.51 KiB) Viewed 4168 times
ArmEagle
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by ArmEagle »

Varivar wrote:
ArmEagle wrote: shame the download page got (re)moved. I haven't poked at openttd for quite some time. But you could try either/both dutchcat from http://users2.tt-forums.net/dutchset/downloads.php . I guess there's a difference between the DOS/Windows. And since I mentioned dutchcatw.grf (which isn't available anymore like that either) I guess the best try is the windows version.

It would be best if someone could draw a real replacement for the original 8bpp graphics, rather than a replacement for a newgrf file. That would make downloading and installing much easier.
Oh, completely true. But I couldn't find the sprite numbers for the basic catenary anywhere (I was/am quite new to this all, but the 8bpp annoyed me a lot when I played, hence my quick work). That's why I used the dutchcatw.grf, because that did assign sprite numbers to its graphics. I did ask around a bit, but no one could tell me what sprite numbers to use.
Roujin
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Roujin »

ArmEagle wrote: Hi,

shame the download page got (re)moved. I haven't poked at openttd for quite some time. But you could try either/both dutchcat from http://users2.tt-forums.net/dutchset/downloads.php . I guess there's a difference between the DOS/Windows. And since I mentioned dutchcatw.grf (which isn't available anymore like that either) I guess the best try is the windows version.

Thanks for the help, but the versions from there didn't help either. However, now I did manage to get the 32bpp replacement working, by untarring the tar into the correct location. I can't seem to get it working while it's in the tar - strange.

The same for wotan's stations - I now got the 32bpp sprites in the game too (at least of the two variants that were in the .tar), by untarring them.
Any 32bpp replacement for newgrfs doesn't seem to work tarred for me. 32bpp replacement for non-newgrf sprites do work while tarred, though. I'm putting them into [globalOpenTTDDir]/data/32bpp/*.tar.

---
@catenary sprites: they should be found in the .grfs delivered by openttd, since the distinction between rail and elrail is not an original TTD feature, and thus it's not among the TTD .grfs but among the supplement that comes with OpenTTD, i.e. openttd[w].grf
edit: yup, openttdw.pcx sprites 756 onwards seems to be it.
* @Belugas wonders what is worst... a mom or a wife...
<Lakie> Well, they do the same thing but the code is different.

ImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
maquinista
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by maquinista »

Varivar wrote:It would be best if someone could draw a real replacement for the original 8bpp graphics, rather than a replacement for a newgrf file. That would make downloading and installing much easier.

I've updated the varivar_trees.tar file with the improved city tree from Maquinista. I also improved the modern office block. I will draw more trees soon.
It looks very good.
ArmEagle
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by ArmEagle »

Roujin wrote:@catenary sprites: they should be found in the .grfs delivered by openttd, since the distinction between rail and elrail is not an original TTD feature, and thus it's not among the TTD .grfs but among the supplement that comes with OpenTTD, i.e. openttd[w].grf
edit: yup, openttdw.pcx sprites 756 onwards seems to be it.
Good info for the next to work on it (and you could maybe just rename my cat files for now).

I did indeed copy the style of the dutchcat graphics. But I think the default one, with just the single wire, is too simple anyway. Since we have more detail now, we can actually use more detail than the 8bpp graphics.

Return to “Graphics Development”