Concept Phase Oct09-May12

P1SIM is a commercial game under development featuring traffic, logistics, city building and more.
smallfly
Chairman
Chairman

Re: New Logistics Game Concept "P1" In Pictures

Post by smallfly »

KillerMapper wrote:Nice :)

Ha, about stations, with the tile system, it can be possible to create stations like we want no? Like, one tile for the platform where passengers wait the train, and around it 2 railroads; or 2 railroads with 2 platforms around...
Stations will be very flexible and by default they could look like that:
railstation.jpg
railstation.jpg (73.31 KiB) Viewed 6907 times
Bennythen00b wrote:Wow, this really sounds too good to be(come) true. :shock:
If many people like it, it WILL become true. At least if there are more than a hundred thousand, because then a game studio will develop it :P
Last edited by smallfly on 02 Nov 2009 21:02, edited 1 time in total.
www.p1sim.org - P1SIM - Traffic, Logistics, City-Building & more
Join the discussions here on tt-forums.net!
KillerMapper
Engineer
Engineer

Post by KillerMapper »

smallfly wrote:At least if there are more than a hundred thousand, because then a game studio will develop it :P
Can you explain more about that? You can give this game idea to a studio if enough people is interested?
smallfly
Chairman
Chairman

Post by smallfly »

Although a game studio would surely develop it if there are so many people willing to pay for such a game, I meant the sentence as a joke. So I cant give you further info on that. Sorry.
CommanderZ
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by CommanderZ »

Well, now I agree that building on OTTD is totally out of question :lol:

Good luck implementing that (no sarcasm meant), it is going to be at least lifetime project for one free time programmer (my guess is several incarnations of yourself will be needed to implement all the ideas :roll: ). Making a game is always fun, but it may happen to you that you reach a point, when you realize it is just not going to work (especially performance-wise, you have a lot of CPU-expensive ideas, so you will at least be forced to sacrifice a lot of OTTD's scale. Parallel computing is not going to save your a** any time soon unless you manage to design algorithms, which would scale to many many cores, utilizing GPU's power could help a lot) and make you scrape all the work you made. This happened to me once and I really don't want to feel that again. That is the worst (game development related) thing that can happen to game developer.

Anyways, planning is a lot of fun too (and I bet you are having great time making those concepts).
smallfly
Chairman
Chairman

Post by smallfly »

CommanderZ wrote:Well, now I agree that building on OTTD is totally out of question :lol:

Good luck implementing that (no sarcasm meant), it is going to be at least lifetime project for one free time programmer (my guess is several incarnations of yourself will be needed to implement all the ideas :roll: ). Making a game is always fun, but it may happen to you that you reach a point, when you realize it is just not going to work (especially performance-wise, you have a lot of CPU-expensive ideas, so you will at least be forced to sacrifice a lot of OTTD's scale. Parallel computing is not going to save your a** any time soon unless you manage to design algorithms, which would scale to many many cores, utilizing GPU's power could help a lot) and make you scrape all the work you made. This happened to me once and I really don't want to feel that again. That is the worst (game development related) thing that can happen to game developer.

Anyways, planning is a lot of fun too (and I bet you are having great time making those concepts).
Performance will be the key word. Youre right with that. But the first alpha versions of P1 could use small maps with low-limited vehicles to manage that. Afterwards multi-threaded clean code will help (has to help ;) )

Im not naiv. At the moment, the only target I really think to achieve is: completion of the concept phase ;)
Kevo00
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Kevo00 »

Just a thought - as well as building residential buildings a la the metropolitan railway, you should be able to build commercial buildings as an investment.

I believe you about the density thing. :)
smallfly
Chairman
Chairman

Post by smallfly »

Kevo00 wrote:Just a thought - as well as building residential buildings a la the metropolitan railway, you should be able to build commercial buildings as an investment.
That will also be possibe in P1.
Chrill

Post by Chrill »

There are a few things I want to put forth regarding this.

1. It is an amazing idea, simply brilliant, completely stuffed with amazing small features and wishes.

2. You need already put a limit to the amount of wishes and features you want to include, or this will end up a huge mess.

3. It will simply not ever reach a playable state unless you make things a lot more serious now already. Set up a website, recruit people. This cannot be a one-man operation in any way. You need lots of people with lots of time who can first help you develop the idea, then proceed to coding and working on graphics. Also, this is a project that will take years to "complete" (nothing is ever fully complete, but to reach a stable release).

I love the idea, I honestly love it - this game would be a dream come true to me. I just don't see it... actually happening. Also, would it be an easy-to-play game or some sort of hardcore game? It looks as though you'd need deadly skills to master everything
My Scenarios:
Archipiélago Hermoso (Latest Release: Version 3.2)
Turnpike Falls (Latest Release: Version 0.91)
smallfly
Chairman
Chairman

Post by smallfly »

Chrill wrote: 2. You need already put a limit to the amount of wishes and features you want to include, or this will end up a huge mess.
The next few weeks are the "brainstorming" (= "pre-concept" phase). Everybody can place its idea in this topic. And me, I look for the available patches, economic system improvements of ottd, etc. and summarize everything here.

Afterwards, I summarize my ideas and all the ideas of the community and write a concept book (=wiki of a website) and give the features priorities so I can write a roadmap. My target is to release a first alpha version very early. It will only contain the GUI and some basic features.
Chrill wrote: Set up a website
is done: see (soon)
http://www.p1sim.org
http://www.p1sim.com
http://www.p1sim.de
Chrill wrote: recruit people
after concept-phase
Chrill wrote: This cannot be a one-man operation in any way. You need lots of people with lots of time who can first help you develop the idea, then proceed to coding and working on graphics.
correct
Chrill wrote: Also, this is a project that will take years to "complete" (nothing is ever fully complete, but to reach a stable release).
depends on which state you define as "complete". the first version will contain only very basic features plus working online-multiplayer-mode.
Chrill wrote:It looks as though you'd need deadly skills to master everything
I hate games, you have to "learn" first to have fun. P1 will not even have a gameplay wiki. You will find all information ingame via context menus, tool tips, built in documentation etc. Furthermore, all functions, buttons, economical issues etc. will be intuitive. Things like signals will have a signal-building-wizard to help new players.
Last edited by smallfly on 02 Nov 2009 22:38, edited 1 time in total.
Chrill

Post by Chrill »

Well, that post shows to me that this is quite well thought of already. You have clearly taken this idea further already than I could ever, and I am amazed. I love your drawings as well, they look superb. I wish I could contribute to this whole project, but I fully lack developing skills
My Scenarios:
smallfly
Chairman
Chairman

Post by smallfly »

Chrill wrote:Well, that post shows to me that this is quite well thought of already. You have clearly taken this idea further already than I could ever, and I am amazed. I love your drawings as well, they look superb. I wish I could contribute to this whole project, but I fully lack developing skills
So just enjoy the next picture, showing the feature "container ships"; the whole transport system will be based on containers; you will even see how a container is taken from a truck trailer and positioned on a ship. Believe me: If that game will be released some time: It will be fantastic ;)
containership.jpg
containership.jpg (58 KiB) Viewed 6880 times
//EDIT: By the way: You can contribute by telling me your wishes. I got many ideas in my head, but I'm sure, I dont have all important features in mind.
Chrill

Post by Chrill »

Well, the one feature that appeals to me the most is the customisable streets with tram tracks and similar. Not just a road with two lanes, but you actually develop it properly. Concentrating on the micro-managing of the game will be an essence to make it a long-lasting game like Transport Tycoon.
My Scenarios:
smallfly
Chairman
Chairman

Post by smallfly »

Chrill wrote:Concentrating on the micro-managing of the game will be an essence to make it a long-lasting game like Transport Tycoon.
Please give me some examples what you mean with "micro-managing"? Till now, my target was to avoid micro-management. I would like to concentrate on viewable things instead of effects you can only see when opening the financial report. For example, I dont want the user to manage the staff of your vehicles, set salaries etc.
Chrill

Post by Chrill »

I mean things like what you wish to implement in creating streets. You should be able to create basically whatever, and develop advanced road systems in towns. That sort of micro managing. Perhaps micro managing is the wrong term - I'd rather call it "Attention to Details". That is what makes a game different. A game with unlimited possibilities is a game everyone enjoys
My Scenarios:
smallfly
Chairman
Chairman

Post by smallfly »

Chrill wrote:Perhaps micro managing is the wrong term - I'd rather call it "Attention to Details". That is what makes a game different.
No line of code will be generated before the concept book is finished. That way all details will be clear in a very early phase.
CommanderZ
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by CommanderZ »

I hope you are going to pay as much attention to planning the code itself (which is of highest importance in project if this size).
smallfly
Chairman
Chairman

Post by smallfly »

CommanderZ wrote:I hope you are going to pay as much attention to planning the code itself (which is of highest importance in project if this size).
I wont start writing the code directly after the concept book. That would lead to spaghetti code. As soon as the concept book is finished, I will go on with the software engineering, defining class graphs, libraries to use and so on
KillerMapper
Engineer
Engineer

Post by KillerMapper »

For roads, I think Chrill meant that he could be able to create roads like he wants: 2 lines with 2 pavements, or 4 lines with 2 pavements and 2 bus lines, or even 3 lines in one direction, 1 line bus-only in the other direction,...

Also, will motorways be in the game? With bit exchange complexes...

I suggest players can have the choice between creating:
-buses lines (in a city)
-taxis
-buses (between cities, like OTTD)
-trams
-metro/subway (underground, on surface, aerial like in New York/ Paris...)
-regional/national trains (like OTTD)
-airports

About roads, 2 types:
-classic road, for streets, 2 lines roads between cities
-motorway/highway for... motorways

And something that I would like to see is possibilities to manage roads, rails... by naming them, and creating lines for buses/trains (and maybe more things like line's colour...):
For example:
-Motorway: N°1, 2, North, East..
-Metro / Train / Bus line: line 1, 2, A, B, North
So players can manage interconnections betweens each line, creating 2 and more stations and link them, visualise maps with coloured lines on it...
smallfly
Chairman
Chairman

Post by smallfly »

KillerMapper wrote:For roads, I think Chrill meant that he could be able to create roads like he wants: 2 lines with 2 pavements, or 4 lines with 2 pavements and 2 bus lines, or even 3 lines in one direction, 1 line bus-only in the other direction,...
Yeah, that what I wanted to show. You are absolutely free. You can build finished road modules (like a 4 lane intercity road) but you can also define your own modules (tile by tile) as well as not using modules and just set single tiles as pavement, right lane, left lane, bus lange, emergency lane etc.
KillerMapper wrote: Also, will motorways be in the game? With bit exchange complexes...
I like to have motorways in the game, too. They will be included. Thanks for remembering me, I forgot the feature over the months...
KillerMapper wrote: I suggest players can have the choice between creating:
-buses lines (in a city)
-taxis
-buses (between cities, like OTTD)
-trams
-metro/subway (underground, on surface, aerial like in New York/ Paris...)
-regional/national trains (like OTTD)
-airports

About roads, 2 types:
-classic road, for streets, 2 lines roads between cities
-motorway/highway for... motorways
Thats the way it will be.
KillerMapper wrote: And something that I would like to see is possibilities to manage roads, rails... by naming them, and creating lines for buses/trains (and maybe more things like line's colour...):
For example:
-Motorway: N°1, 2, North, East..
-Metro / Train / Bus line: line 1, 2, A, B, North
So players can manage interconnections betweens each line, creating 2 and more stations and link them, visualise maps with coloured lines on it...
Even that will be possible.
smallfly
Chairman
Chairman

Post by smallfly »

And because im also a fan of command&conquer 2, even that game type will find its (small) place in P1. The picture shows military baracks. They are necessary because in case of floodings, troops will help to lay down sandbags to prevent the flooding from entering cities/industries/infrastructure ... (by the way: you should always be careful when building on level -1 (=sea level) ;) )
baracks.jpg
baracks.jpg (60.31 KiB) Viewed 7112 times

Return to “P1SIM”