(UNIV) Canadian Train Set Development - *Update 11/09/11*

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

NekoMaster
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: (UNIV) Canadian Train Set Development - *Update 11/09/11

Post by NekoMaster »

Well this sucks... now CanSet is never going to be released since there arent enough good coders around to take up the job... I guess I'll just have to keep pretending I'm playing a canadian railroad with NARS2... *sigh*
Image Proud Canadian Image
Nekomasters Projects! (Downloads available on BaNaNaS!) \(>^w^<)/
# NARS ADD-ON SET 2CC | 2cc Rapid Transit For Me! (2ccRTFM) | 2cc Wagons In NML (2ccWIN)
# NML Category System (Organize your GRFS!) <- TT-Forums Exclusive Download!
wallyweb
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by wallyweb »

NekoMaster wrote:Well this sucks... now CanSet is never going to be released since there arent enough good coders around to take up the job... I guess I'll just have to keep pretending I'm playing a canadian railroad with NARS2... *sigh*
DanMack wrote:I'm sorry people have to wait a bit longer for the next release, but trust me, the results will be worth it.
Must be that he found a good coder? :wink:
Comm Cody
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Comm Cody »

With Oztrans gone, does this mean that the Resistance he had toward a OTTD version of Can set is gone, or will this still be for TTDP?
Something goes here, hell if I know.
andythenorth
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by andythenorth »

Comm Cody wrote:With Oztrans gone, does this mean that the Resistance he had toward a OTTD version of Can set is gone, or will this still be for TTDP?
DanMacK places all his sprites available for reuse, so you could (in theory) provide your own CanSet :P (Not all sprite's are Dan's, but I don't know how ISA and the other contributors license their stuff)
wallyweb
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by wallyweb »

Comm Cody wrote:With Oztrans gone, does this mean that the Resistance he had toward a OTTD version of Can set is gone, or will this still be for TTDP?
Note that OzTrans was not resistant to OTTD per se but rather having to frequently update his code per frequent changes to industry sets. Once released his GRF would be for a specific industry set version and not later versions. I am sure that once DanMack finds an available coder that OTTD support will continue as is the case with CanSet v1.
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Eddi »

I hereby preemptively apologize to anyone that feels offended, it wasn't meant as such.

OzTrans always struck me as a real control freak, i can totally understand how he'd be annoyed by the design process of someone like andythenorth, which is basically "make up crucial design decisions on the spot, commit them, and then handle the complaints afterwards".
DanMacK
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by DanMacK »

Pikka's willing to pick things up in the new year (Don't want to scare him off :P) I want to get a few things sorted out, so for the moment, let me take things where I want them to go. Some of the Canset sprites may also find their way into the next NARS in CC form, can't make any guarantees though.

I know the sprites are public domain, but the Canset is still a WIP, so I would appreciate it if no other attempts were made to develop a set. Kinda pointless to have two going on. ;)

Look forward to something new in the new year, and in the meantime, enjoy what's already out.

There's more good stuff coming soon.
Ogre
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Ogre »

DanMacK wrote:Pikka's willing to pick things up in the new year.
Some of the Canset sprites may also find their way into the next NARS in CC form, can't make any guarantees though.
That's good news, for both Canset and NARS.

One question I already asked in the NARS thread (I hope it is not the wrong moment to ask for it again): Are there any considerations among the developers about a parameter to beef up the capacities of the set's freight and passenger commuter cars? Many stations are flooded by passengers (in large cities, not set related) or by cargoes (ins sets such as ECS Vectors or FIRS), and even 15-tiles trains are not able to handle the demand. In my eyes, an adaption of the car's caracteristics to something more real-orientated values (as it is done with the characteristics of the locomotives, etc.) would be very useful.
The pessimist sees the darkness in the tunnel.
The optimist sees the light at the end of the tunnel.
The realist sees the light coming closer...
The engineer sees three fools in front of his train on the track in the tunnel.
andythenorth
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by andythenorth »

Ogre wrote:Many stations are flooded by passengers (in large cities, not set related) or by cargoes (ins sets such as ECS Vectors or FIRS)
Wouldn't it be better to reduce cargo production in FIRS etc?
NekoMaster
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by NekoMaster »

I think it would be nice to have a parameter that effects the capacities of the cars. Perhaps a default value for default industries and PBI (anyone still play with that?), and realistic values for industry sets and town sets like TTRS or NA Cities
# NARS ADD-ON SET 2CC | 2cc Rapid Transit For Me! (2ccRTFM) | 2cc Wagons In NML (2ccWIN)
wallyweb
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by wallyweb »

NekoMaster wrote:I think it would be nice to have a parameter that effects the capacities of the cars.
The problem here is that in many sets the cars are based on the real life versions and real life specifications. CanSet does offer double deck cars (GO Transit) with higher capacities. Resetting capacities kind of defeats the purpose/goal of the suspect train set.
The problem isn't with the trains. It is with the source of whatever is waiting at the station: towns and industries. The solution: Starve the towns (provide them with less food and goods) and choke the industries (reduce their supply of raw materials) by building grossly inefficient transportation networks.
TTDPatch has a set of available Town Growth settings which might help reduce passenger generation. I don't know if OTTD has something similar.
NekoMaster
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by NekoMaster »

actually the values in A LOT of North american train sets are rather low compard to their real life counter parts. the octagonal bilevels can haul well over 80 pax (even amtrak superliners can hual 96 people)
ISA
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by ISA »

NekoMaster wrote:actually the values in A LOT of North american train sets are rather low compard to their real life counter parts. the octagonal bilevels can haul well over 80 pax (even amtrak superliners can hual 96 people)
Canadian set bi-levels can haul 105 passengers and Us-set current state 80 so that's enough imho!
NekoMaster
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by NekoMaster »

Well, normally BiLevels arent ment for long distance use so normally you'd have a Medium speed passenger locomotive hauling 6-8 bilevels, especially if they haul up to 162 passengers for a regular bi-level car, or 276 passengers (standing, probably in rush hour traffic from the Suburbs like Oshawa and Pickering to Toronto)
Ogre
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Ogre »

andythenorth wrote:Wouldn't it be better to reduce cargo production in FIRS etc?
Not in my eyes, as the "mismatch" is not industry set related, but vehicle set related.
Wallyweb wrote:The problem here is that in many sets the cars are based on the real life versions and real life specifications
I don't think so, I may give an example: Most of the locomotives of mentioned sets have "realsitic" values, just look at the almost omnipresent EMD F or GE Evolution Series, just to name two of them. On the other hand, the cars provided do not have realistic values, as we have large boxcars or (ore) hoppers barely being able to carry more than 30 tons of cargo. There are narrow gauge freight cars able to carry more than 30 tons.

The relativly light freight cars allow the player to put just one locomotive in front of a train where much more traction would be needed if the cars could carry the "real" amounts of cargo. In addition, it will be the locomotive which tends to reduce the train's speed on slopes, not the cars (note that the trains already accelerate once the locomotive got back on even track). And finally, we have other manners of transport, such as road, water and air, which are represented by sets having more realistic capacities.

Of course, rising the capacities will have an considerable impact on gameplay. Thats why I would suggest a parameter so that the player may choose if she/he takes the challenge of dealing with heavy trains, needing much traction power, but also being able to move the flood of products on the map, paying off the investment once they reach their destination (something the wagon-weight-multiplier is not able to do).

Starving cities and industries just because the cars of even very long trains cannot handle the production, is somewhat strange to me. We have truck, ship and airplane sets representing "realisitc" values, capable of dealing with high production values, why not with the trains (as the locomotives have them as mentioned above)?
andythenorth
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by andythenorth »

Ogre wrote:In addition, it will be the locomotive which tends to reduce the train's speed on slopes, not the cars (note that the trains already accelerate once the locomotive got back on even track).
Try the freight weight multiplier in advanced settings, and/or the slope steepness?
Ogre
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Ogre »

andythenorth wrote:Try the freight weight multiplier in advanced settings, and/or the slope steepness?
What would be the use of this option to get the cargo off the stations? This multipiler affects the physics only, not the capacities :wink:
SniperDJ
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by SniperDJ »

hello guys,

i am fan of this set. but i have been using it for a while and i have found 1 problem: it is not compatible with FIRS-industries. could you fix that please??

SniperDJ

DanMacK
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by DanMacK »

Next version is planned to be FIRS compatible.

Return to “Graphics Development”