"Pimp My Sprites" - eGRVTS - New testing version [June 2012]

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

Organisation of eGRVTS2: Multiple GRFs or one big one?

All vehicles (trucks, buses & trams) in one big GRF
16%
All vehicles in one GRF and individual types can be disabled via parameter
76%
Trucks, buses & trams in three separate GRFs
7%
Some other organisation
1%

Total votes: 124

Zephyris
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: "Pimp My Sprites" - eGRVTS

Post by Zephyris »

Hello all!
I have finally made some good progress on coding the new graphics for the eGRVTS trucks. This test GRF includes graphics for:
* All trucks and cargo-carying horse-drawn vehicles
* New graphics for many trucks
* Randomised graphical variants for flatbeds and bulk trucks
* More loading stages
* New graphics for cargoes:
:* Batteries, building materials, bricks, bubbles, dyes, fertilizer, fizzy drinks, glass, livestock, paper, scrap metal, steel, vehicles, wood product wood, aluminium ore, clay, coal, copper ore, candyfloss, grain, iron ore, lime, oilseed rape, sand, scrap, sugar

It also has coding changes:
* Settings for reallistic road vehicle accelaration
* Code for graphical effects (steam, diesel)

Please test this grf! It is not compatible with the old eGRVTS and is not fully set up for independent use, you will want a grf set with busses and trams loaded in parallel. Known bugs are:
* No animation for horses
* No buy menu graphics for articulated vehicles
Any feedback is welcome. Similarly any contribution of sprites for vehicles or cargoes is welcome :)
Attachments
eGRVTS2_WIP.zip
(1.05 MiB) Downloaded 222 times
V453000 :)
President
President

Post by V453000 :) »

Hi Zephyris,

I loaded it in toyland and tried a few things.

The first thing I noticed was that the vehicles make smoke when accelerating ... to be honest it made me laugh on the first sight and on the second sight I felt like the vehicles are like broken down aircraft :O I just feel like non-smoking vehicles are enough :P

By the way the bubbles look cute on flatbeds :P

... I used only the most modern vehicles - the TFB Vixen, Juno etc.

All in all the vehicles are much nicer now, I really like the changes despite I loved the originals :).

Great work!
ImageImageImage
Emperor Jake
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Emperor Jake »

Great work! I like that there is more variety between the trucks. And the pollution! Maybe the future trucks shouldn't emit smoke because they might be fuel cell powered or something :wink:

Here's some problems:
Some of the future and past truck styles are mixed up though: I'm seeing 1950s style trucks in the 2030s and 1990s style trucks in the 1960s :P
Some of the trailers look misaligned and cover p the wheels of the tractors
The mail trailers have "holes" in the doors through which you can see the road.
Some flatbed trailers are too short and the tail lights are suspende behind the trailer.
Zephyris
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Zephyris »

V453000 :) wrote: The first thing I noticed was that the vehicles make smoke when accelerating ... to be honest it made me laugh on the first sight and on the second sight I felt like the vehicles are like broken down aircraft :O I just feel like non-smoking vehicles are enough
Emperor Jake wrote:Great work! I like that there is more variety between the trucks. And the pollution! Maybe the future trucks shouldn't emit smoke because they might be fuel cell powered or something :wink:
Fair enough... I gave all the trucks diesel graphics because I thought the effects weren't too noticeable... Obviously that isn't what other people think so I'll cut back on them.
Emperor Jake wrote:Here's some problems:
Some of the future and past truck styles are mixed up though: I'm seeing 1950s style trucks in the 2030s and 1990s style trucks in the 1960s :P
Which ones in particular are wrong? It would help if you could tell me the model name or generation and truck type of the ones that are behaving wierdly.
Emperor Jake wrote:Some of the trailers look misaligned and cover p the wheels of the tractors
Good spot. I need to remove the "tail" of the tractors to make sure this doesn't happen.
Emperor Jake wrote:The mail trailers have "holes" in the doors through which you can see the road.
Again good spot, I will fix the transparency of these.
Emperor Jake wrote:Some flatbed trailers are too short and the tail lights are suspende behind the trailer.
I assume that is on all of the shorder (6/8 length) trailers. What a pain!
Emperor Jake
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Emperor Jake »

Zephyris wrote:
Which ones in particular are wrong? It would help if you could tell me the model name or generation and truck type of the ones that are behaving wierdly.
All of the tanker trucks seem in the wrong place, including the steam truck. This seems to be because there was no steam tanker truck in eGRVTS version 1.
The ABIL Simple refrigerated truck has 1950s style
the ATP (Adenosine Triphosphate) flatbed truck has 1980s style
Zephyris
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Zephyris »

Emperor Jake wrote:All of the tanker trucks seem in the wrong place, including the steam truck. This seems to be because there was no steam tanker truck in eGRVTS version 1.
The ABIL Simple refrigerated truck has 1950s style
the ATP (Adenosine Triphosphate) flatbed truck has 1980s style
Ah, thanks. Yeah I had missed that too :)
Emperor Jake wrote:ATP (Adenosine Triphosphate) flatbed truck
:D
Terkhen
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Terkhen »

Great, I have been waiting for this :)

I guess it is a known bug, but default trucks are not disabled after loading this NewGRF. I also checked cargo support for FIRS (ignoring cargo sprites for now). It seems that the Alcohol cargo is not supported by eGRVTS 2.

Regarding sprites for cargo support, I added some cargo sprites to OpenGFX+ Road Vehicles. I don't know if they will fit the new trucks, but just in case they are here (gimp format):

http://dev.openttdcoop.org/projects/ogf ... ow/src/gfx

If those are not usable, I don't mind helping with some sprites as long as they are just recolouring existing ones or crude copypaste. My sprite-fu is no good for anything more complicated than that :P

Now I'm going to start some realistic acceleration tests :)

EDIT: It also seems to be missing an armoured truck to carry default gold / diamonds.
LaDoncella
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by LaDoncella »

Nice work!
I love the smoke. :P Perhaps a parameter (enable/disable smoke) for those who don't like it?

Could tankers have different graphics for different cargo?
Like this:
example
example
tankers.png (1.22 KiB) Viewed 6079 times
(I'm offering to do these graphics)
Zephyris
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Zephyris »

Terkhen wrote:but default trucks are not disabled after loading this NewGRF.
Yeah... I haven't decided if to split up the trucks from the buses and trams or not yet...
Terkhen wrote:I also checked cargo support for FIRS (ignoring cargo sprites for now). It seems that the Alcohol cargo is not supported by eGRVTS 2.
Ah, an express liquid... I think that the box trucks are not refittable to liquids which would explain that.

Thanks for the sprite offer, but I think I am set up for all those cargos!
Terkhen wrote:EDIT: It also seems to be missing an armoured truck to carry default gold / diamonds.
Bugger, how did I miss that bug!?
LaDoncella wrote:Could tankers have different graphics for different cargo?
Probably yes, but I might not be able to code them as graphics for different cargo types at the mo. The coding scheme I use to cope with the 37082 sprites in this set can get a little unwieldy :) I could definately use sprites like that as random variants for the truck graphics though, if you are still interested in some drawing?

I have attached my tanker truck source graphics files. They are organised in folders by tank length (i.e. "6" is for 6/8 length, for use for the non-articulated trucks and the shorter trailers) and each folder has a .png in it called "1.png". Any variants for each the tank graphics you make just pop in the folder corresponding to the correct length and call it "2.png" then "3.png" etc.
Attachments
Tank.zip
(31.36 KiB) Downloaded 137 times
Terkhen
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Terkhen »

I have tested only mail and copper ore with realistic acceleration, using the default slope steepness (7%). Horse hopper carriages loaded with copper ore will get their speed reduced to 1 km/h in slopes, which is the absolute minimum for a road vehicle under realistic acceleration. Maybe it would make sense to reduce the maximum capacity a bit. The rest of the vehicles seem to work fine.

The sprites are also looking even nicer than the old ones. I'm looking forward to a test game, once that it has armoured vehicles :)
LaDoncella
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by LaDoncella »

Zephyris wrote:Probably yes, but I might not be able to code them as graphics for different cargo types at the mo. The coding scheme I use to cope with the 37082 sprites in this set can get a little unwieldy :) I could definately use sprites like that as random variants for the truck graphics though, if you are still interested in some drawing?
Shame, but I will give it a try anyway.
LaDoncella
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by LaDoncella »

q.png
q.png (2.73 KiB) Viewed 5992 times
Just wondering but shouldn't the middle "image" have a green part? For one-piece trucks it won't matter but for trailers and articulated ones it will.
Zephyris
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Zephyris »

LaDoncella wrote:Just wondering but shouldn't the middle "image" have a green part? For one-piece trucks it won't matter but for trailers and articulated ones it will.
Umm, yeah actually... It is missing the green bit. Feel free to modify if you want!
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

So far I only had time to take a brief look at this set, and it looks very nice :-)

If you want some barrels (e.g. fuel, chemicals) for a flatbed truck, there's some nice ones in OpenGFX+Trains: http://dev.openttdcoop.org/projects/ogf ... perate.png and http://dev.openttdcoop.org/projects/ogf ... perate.png
LaDoncella
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by LaDoncella »

Ok, I did 2,3,4 for all sizes and changed that chunk in 1. I plan to do the other two tomorrow.
tankers.png
tankers.png (1.52 KiB) Viewed 5962 times
Attachments
Tank_4.zip
(113.21 KiB) Downloaded 122 times
Zephyris
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Zephyris »

planetmaker wrote:If you want some barrels (e.g. fuel, chemicals) for a flatbed truck, there's some nice ones in OpenGFX+Trains: http://dev.openttdcoop.org/projects/ogf ... perate.png and http://dev.openttdcoop.org/projects/ogf ... perate.png
Awesome, I'll check that out...
LaDoncella wrote:Ok, I did 2,3,4 for all sizes and changed that chunk in 1. I plan to do the other two tomorrow.
tankers.png
Thanks! These will be included in the next build as random graphics variants.
Terkhen
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Terkhen »

Some of those are already adapted to road vehicle use in the files I linked earlier. Do not let their names deceive you, they are "model" names but actually each of them contains many types of cargo :)
LaDoncella
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by LaDoncella »

As promised here are the rest.
Attachments
Tank_6.zip
(167.22 KiB) Downloaded 118 times
Zephyris
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Zephyris »

Here's an updated version. Again I would be grateful for any beta testing people can do. This set is still trucks only. I think the next releases of eGRVTS will be split into buses, trucks and tram sets for more flexible mixing and matching sprites.

Fixes:
* Removed diesel smoke from trucks designed in 2000 and onwards to reflect cleaner technology
* Filled in the glitchy holes in some of the mail truck graphics
* Fixed the glitch where the tractor "tails" cover up the trailer of semi-trailer vehicles when cornering
* Fixed the hanging tail lights on 6/8 length trailers
* Altered the graphics selected for the tanker trucks to fix the mismatch of graphics and vehicle stats bug
* Corrected the graphics for the ABIL Simple refrigerated truck
* Reduced the capacity of the flatbed, bulk and tanker horse carriages to help with realistic accelaration
* Altered the standard refit classes of box vehicles to allow them to carry express liquid cargoes (i.e. alcohol)
* Fix availability of armoured trucks (cargo refitting classes were set incorrectly resulting in no climate availability)
* Removed availability of default vehicles

Features:
* Included additional sprites from LaDoncella as random graphical variants for tankers
* Automatic generation and display of buy menu graphics with trailers on articulated road vehicles

To Do:
* Updating some sprites, e.g. move bottom up one px on 8/8 refrigerated, mail and armoured truck tails
* New graphics for express and for early (6/8 total length) trucks
* Parameters to control special effects (e.g. smoke and diesel effects)
* More cargo graphics
* More randomised graphical variants for mail, armoured, box and refrigerated trucks
Attachments
eGRVTS2_WIP2.zip
(1.06 MiB) Downloaded 280 times
Zephyris
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Zephyris »

Wow... no bug reports?

Return to “Graphics Development”