[OpenTTD] NuTracks - Dev Thread

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

supermop
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: [OpenTTD] NuTracks - Dev Thread

Post by supermop »

I actually started work on something like this for rail yards yesterday afternoon. For me its still pretty slow going trying to learn how to code what I came up with. My approach for that is a little different as it takes into account covering switches.

As for this implementaion, it is something I would like to see with plazas an buildings as well (similar to the high rise building overpasses in the Japan station set, but with more variety).

Freak NL, If you or someone else is interested in coding the Grf for your idea, I will be happy to create a range of sprites for it.

Best,
Zephyris
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Zephyris »

Freak_NL wrote:... would it be possible to create a NewGRF to load after NuTracks which replaces the tunnel entrance and exit graphics for the third rail tracks only?
AFAIK the tunnel entrance graphics are shared for all types of rail graphics, so at the moment I believe this is not possible. I think you could code the 3rd rail tracks to replace monorail or maglev, then change the monorail/maglev tunnel entrance graphics without interfering with "normal" rail.

Is it worth nudging a dev to see if there are any particular plans in the pipeline for this?
dandan
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by dandan »

Zephyris wrote:Is it worth nudging a dev to see if there are any particular plans in the pipeline for this?
I already opened a ticket on flyspray requesting this:
http://bugs.openttd.org/task/3829

But if you feel that some more nudging might help, please go ahead :wink:
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

http://wiki.ttdpatch.net/tiki-index.php?page=Action3 tells one that it should be possible to associate tunnel graphics per rail type. I haven't tried, so please correct the wiki, if it states things wrongly.

EDIT: also http://hg.openttd.org/openttd/trunk.hg/rev/16e4b5a75b13 seems to suggest that it will work.
DJ Nekkid
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by DJ Nekkid »

It _IS_ possible to add different tunnels to all the different railtypes :)
Member of the
ImageImage
Snail
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Snail »

DJ Nekkid wrote:It _IS_ possible to add different tunnels to all the different railtypes :)
We can try with the specific tunnel portals I drew for the NG tracks when they get implemented in NuTracks! ;)
The French Narrow Gauge Train Set is now released! Get it here
dandan
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by dandan »

planetmaker wrote:http://wiki.ttdpatch.net/tiki-index.php?page=Action3 tells one that it should be possible to associate tunnel graphics per rail type. I haven't tried, so please correct the wiki, if it states things wrongly.

EDIT: also http://hg.openttd.org/openttd/trunk.hg/rev/16e4b5a75b13 seems to suggest that it will work.
I think we are talking about two different things here... The stuff you quote refers to the track overlays for tunnels. That does not affect the graphics for the tunnel portals themselves. Peter confirmed in this thread that it is currently impossible to select different tunnel portals for different railtypes.
DJ Nekkid
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by DJ Nekkid »

thanx for that one dandan :) But it seems like its not too-far-into-the-future with that one? :)
Member of the
ImageImage
dandan
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by dandan »

DJ Nekkid wrote:But it seems like its not too-far-into-the-future with that one? :)
Let's hope so.
DJ Nekkid
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by DJ Nekkid »

Hi everyone. I think i have finally come to a conclusion regarding what tracktypes to include, and i think this is best option.
nutracks-plan.png
And to explain:
The default option will be a set similar to what the current state is. However, i will remove the NG bits that currently is in, and i will add 3 different types of subways. The first one will replace the monorail tracktype, and will consist of 3rd rail tracks, but with some tricks will they feature a catenary that looks like ground tiles. I will also include two other subway types, also 3rd rail tracks, but they will consist of urban buildings, such as small houses or some terraced houses and similar "outskirt" buildings, plus also more city core like buildings, office blocks, highrises and similar. This will
Typical trainsets: 2cc-set, dutch set, NARS2, URKS, DBXL, possibly others

The 3rd rail option:
Rather selfexplained i think. Will feature a selection of 3rd-rail track qualities (80,120,160kmh) where the two fastest ones also can have catenary, so both catenary fed and 3rd rail fed engines can use them.
Typical trainsets: UKRS, BROS, possibly others

NG-Option:
Will feature a selection of NG-tracks of different speeds and powerfeeding types.
Typical trainsets: The future swizz and austrian sets, french set, japan set, possible others

And last but not least, a "Balanced" version where the "extremes" are removed, and a little bit of all is added.

So guys, what do you think of this proposal? It will hopefully please everybody, and add what people want to do. With the flexibility to select what you want for your specific map, playstyle, trackset, etc.
And ofcourse, the monorail-piece will have a parameter to disable that, so the monorails can be monorails.

edit: Froch123 just noticed there are two HST's in the balanced set, and that is good news all in all, it means i can include something else on that slot :)
Member of the
ImageImage
Kogut
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Kogut »

monorails?

And is it possible to use graphics from various tracksets to have usable graphics? I think that some of the authors may agree for reuse.
Correct me If I am wrong - PM me if my English is bad
AIAI - AI for OpenTTD
DJ Nekkid
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by DJ Nekkid »

what do you mean?
Member of the
ImageImage
Kogut
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Kogut »

Borrow graphics for high speed tracks from CSRailSet v1.4.
For 230 km/h from ...
etc

Of cource permission is needed.
Correct me If I am wrong - PM me if my English is bad
AIAI - AI for OpenTTD
ChillCore
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by ChillCore »

DJ Nekkid wrote: Hi everyone. I think i have finally come to a conclusion regarding what tracktypes to include, and i think this is best option.
So guys, what do you think of this proposal? It will hopefully please everybody, and add what people want to do. With the flexibility to select what you want for your specific map, playstyle, trackset, etc.
Perfect me thinks.
-- .- -.-- / - .... . / ..-. --- .-. -.-. . / -... . / .-- .. - .... / -.-- --- ..- .-.-.-
--- .... / -.-- . .- .... --..-- / .- -. -.. / .--. .-. .- .. ... . / - .... . / .-.. --- .-. -.. / ..-. --- .-. / .... . / --. .- ...- . / ..- ... / -.-. .... --- --- -.-. .... --- --- ... .-.-.- / ---... .--.

Playing with my patchpack? Ask questions on usage and report bugs in the correct thread first, please.
All included patches have been modified and are no longer 100% original.
DJ Nekkid
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by DJ Nekkid »

sub.PNG
sub.PNG (134.02 KiB) Viewed 803 times
screenshot from the subways:
Member of the
ImageImage
lawton27
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by lawton27 »

Nice job, I suppose you can't randomise them so they have varying amounts of trees over the top too?
Zephyris
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Zephyris »

No track tile randomisation is possible yet (IIRC) but it may be possible in the future...
DJ Nekkid
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by DJ Nekkid »

why not zeph? a normal random action2-chooser shouldnt be a problem as far as i can see?
Member of the
ImageImage
cmoiromain
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by cmoiromain »

Awsome! Those new ideas coming out of the new rail types are great!
I am little, ugly, and nasty. How do you do?
Zephyris
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Zephyris »

I dont think any randomising action2s are available for track tiles yet... There was a proposal for one according to position in the tile refresh cycle i think.

Return to “Graphics Development”