OpenGFX - Graphics Base Set

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

buttercup
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Re: [8bpp] Graphics Replacement Project - OpenGFX

Post by buttercup »

Looking good!

If nobody else minds, I'll make a start on coding them...
PouncingAnt
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by PouncingAnt »

I'm not sure if people know about this, a forum search in the graphics section picked out nothing... But the OpenGFX snowy buildings don't accept food :(
Not the end of the world, but a little frustrating
NB: the below challenges are still open for submission, so feel free to perform necromancy on them!
Try the PouncingAnt National Monopoly Challenge
Or even better, the PouncingAnt National Monopoly Challenge 2
Or better still, the PouncingAnt National Monopoly Challenge 3
Or, the PouncingAnt National Monopoly Challenge 4

Or try my scenario instead!

-(A lazy) OpenTTD Japanese Translator-
-(A lazy) PNGcodec user-
"You get what you pay for, so pay attention!"

Patches:
Company Station Stats
buttercup
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by buttercup »

Yes, sorry, that was my fault. 'Tis fixed now.

Not sure whether to post the updated grf straight away though since it is a relatively minor change. Has anyone found any other bugs/quirks that might need fixing?
LordAzamath
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by LordAzamath »

To save time with the coding of trains from danmacks posting, u can use the offsets and pcx for tropical trains from the one that I coded.. I assure u, it takes time to get the offsets right.
PS: And I stopped the propaganda to support Dave Worley since he got a nice new red hat now.[/color]
I know I have a BBCode error in my signature but I really cba to fix it.
DanMacK
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by DanMacK »

Go for it :D Be nice to see them in-game. One thing I will note... the SH8/Jubilee and the Wills 2-8-0 in arctic are 28px long, and the Kirby Paul is 24px long, so, I believe is the MJ 250 in arctic and the MJ250 in tropic is 28px long.

Just letting you know so we don't have any funky gaps :D
buttercup
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by buttercup »

Trains are more or less done. I can post a beta grf for people to play around with (read: do the mind numbing task of picking out minute offset errors for me) if anyone wants...
alltrains.png
alltrains.png (42 KiB) Viewed 8186 times
LordAzamath, I missed your post but it made little difference since I could just use the same offsets for (nearly) all vehicles.
Digitalfox
Chief Executive
Chief Executive
Location: Catch the Fox if you can... Almost 20 years and counting!

Post by Digitalfox »

buttercup wrote:Trains are more or less done. I can post a beta grf for people to play around with (read: do the mind numbing task of picking out minute offset errors for me) if anyone wants...
alltrains.png
LordAzamath, I missed your post but it made little difference since I could just use the same offsets for (nearly) all vehicles.
Wow, looks really nice :o
rEXpert
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by rEXpert »

Looks good. Didn't know that you guys had progressed on the trains this far. I'd love to see a beta grf.
My website:http://rexpert2.googlepages.com
Playing Locomtion Since September 2005
Playing OpenTTD Since May 2006
Binary TTD!:Image (0-127)
Current Projects:
South America Scenario - Now with rivers! (Updated July 29, 2008)
Black Sea Scenario [Work In Progress 10%]
DanMacK
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by DanMacK »

Likewise :D a Beta would be greatly appreciated ;)
buttercup
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by buttercup »

Here it is then...
newtrainsbeta.grf
(90.09 KiB) Downloaded 1374 times
Known issues:
The sprites in the purchase GUI are one pixel too high; I didn't like the way the original trains sometimes looked as though their wheels were below the level of the rails in the horizontal views. I am not aware of a way to have different sprites for the purchase GUI using ActionA/Action7. The TTDPatch Wiki entry for Action5 mentions GUI sprites but I'm not sure if that's what I'm looking for.

Also, for the shorter vehicles, I couldn't decide how close they should be to the trailing wagon(s) so they will probably need adjusting.

Possibly some others I've forgotten about.
DaleStan
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by DaleStan »

buttercup wrote:The sprites in the purchase GUI are one pixel too high; I didn't like the way the original trains sometimes looked as though their wheels were below the level of the rails in the horizontal views. I am not aware of a way to have different sprites for the purchase GUI using ActionA/Action7. The TTDPatch Wiki entry for Action5 mentions GUI sprites but I'm not sure if that's what I'm looking for.
That's because you need to look harder at Action3. Or, if you want to make your code more convoluted than necessary, inspect VariationalAction2 instead.
To get a good answer, ask a Smart Question. Similarly, if you want a bug fixed, write a Useful Bug Report. No TTDPatch crashlog? Then follow directions.
Projects: NFORenum (download) | PlaneSet (Website) | grfcodec (download) | grfdebug.log parser
buttercup
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by buttercup »

But if I used Action3 (and certainly VariationalAction2), the grf couldn't be loaded as a static grf could it?

That's what I was loosely implying in the previous post.
DaleStan
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by DaleStan »

Actually, you can (or should be able to, anyway) use actions 1 and 2 all you want in a static GRF -- by themselves, they don't actually change anything. It's 0 and 3 that cause most of the troubles.

But yes, using different sprites in the purchase window does require breaking static restrictions.
To get a good answer, ask a Smart Question. Similarly, if you want a bug fixed, write a Useful Bug Report. No TTDPatch crashlog? Then follow directions.
Projects: NFORenum (download) | PlaneSet (Website) | grfcodec (download) | grfdebug.log parser
DJ Nekkid
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by DJ Nekkid »

i also made a chimaera way back there, if it's usable :)

the sprite file is pretty much a mess right now, but it's usable and understandable. Also with wagons for a +set. It lack doors tho, i could add that if needed.

also with wagons for a +set. I also made a doubledecker wagons from someones request, but they are really ugly. I have an idea for them tho, if needed :)
Attachments
chimera.png
chimera.png (8.51 KiB) Viewed 7296 times
chimera.pcx
pcx-file with proper windows palette
(23.75 KiB) Downloaded 150 times
Member of the
ImageImage
DanMacK
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by DanMacK »

Got the Chimera sprites :D and they're planned for inclusion. Just need to get the Maglev/Monorail cars drawn and then the locos can be started. I was planning on using Uzurpator's excellent monorail equipment from his tropical versions, and the other Maglev locos can be drawn as well.

**Note** I noticed the train cars overlap in the depot menu and train list but are fien in-game, any way to remedy that? :) aside from that, everything looks great.
DJ Nekkid
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by DJ Nekkid »

Code: Select all

-1 * 0  0D 9E 08 9E FF 08 00 00 00 // Draw all 32 px in the depot view
as well as this (to make it look nicer overall

Code: Select all

-1 * 0  0D 8E \D= FF 00 02 00 00 00 // Drop 2px in depot view
Member of the
ImageImage
DanMacK
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by DanMacK »

Couple quick updates, I did some revisions on one side of the A4, didn't do the other view

Also, I drew up some more "North American" looking cars for the arctic paper, food and livestock cars.
Attachments
ArcticRev.png
ArcticRev.png (6.77 KiB) Viewed 6820 times
A4Revised.png
A4Revised.png (3.09 KiB) Viewed 6686 times
Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Purno »

DanMacK wrote:Image
Mind if I forward these to the 2ccSet coder, since we might be able to use them there too. Most wagons we have now are drawn by Europeans, so they also got an European look. American wagons are just a bit different, so it'd be nice to have those too. :)
Contributor to the The 2cc Set and Dutch Trainset. Inventor of the Metro concept. Retired Graphics Artist.
Image Image
Download TT | Latest TTDPatch | OpenTTD | OpenTTDCoop | BaNaNaS: OpenTTD content system | 2048² OTTD scenario of the Netherlands
GRF Codec | GRF Crawler | GRF Maker | Usefull graphics & tools sites | NML Documentation Wiki | NFO Documentation Wiki
All my graphics are licensed under GPL. "Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else."
Zephyris
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Zephyris »

Awesome trains! They look amazing, really really amazing! Really!
Before I post the updated landscape grf (if LordAzamath is okay with the changes I made), I wondered if it might be a good idea to remove the rivers at the same time and create a new 'water features' grf that would include all the rivers, canals/locks and the aqueducts Zephyris recently drew.
Go ahead and post the new landscape grf with those changes, I would be happy to split the "water features" into a new grf although I don't see it as particularly necessary...
... so I widened the spacing a little and moved them further out (see the screenshot). It isn't much of a change but I just thought I should mention it.
Feel free to modify any of my sprites as you code them, you have made them look better!
Zephyris
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Zephyris »

Depots? No offence to LordAzamath's work but I thought a consistent style is important...
Attachments
Rail Depots 8bpp.png
Rail Depots 8bpp.png (10.6 KiB) Viewed 6190 times

Return to “Graphics Development”