New Graphics - Blender ".blend" thread (Works In Progress)

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

Gorre
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Gorre »

Alltaken wrote:
well the new GFX format gives the options (as does the current one) for a building to be made up of more than one part.

i.e. 6 tiles is the industry size, it could be any shape it wanted given than the tiles could be re-aranged. for complex's like schools if a field were a full tile in size, then it would be positionable anywhere around the main school block.
I understand now, but I can't imagine how this would be made without losing details like footpaths, fences
but remaking my current field to fit 1x1 won't be too much work.
Alltaken
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Alltaken »

well given enough combinations of tiles stored within the files for this building you could effectivly generate a set of rules for interlocking (perhaps somthing to keep in mind for the future) so that tiles within industries... can be interchanged.

common joining points, multiple similar but slightly different sections, different types of sports fields....

i.e. the sports field can change what sport it is being played......

possibilities are pretty endless i hope.

keep up the good work. p.s. did you know blender before coming here? i forgot if i asked you already, your modeling is fantastic.

Alltaken
Gorre
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Gorre »

Alltaken wrote:well given enough combinations of tiles stored within the files for this building you could effectivly generate a set of rules for interlocking (perhaps somthing to keep in mind for the future) so that tiles within industries... can be interchanged.

common joining points, multiple similar but slightly different sections, different types of sports fields....

i.e. the sports field can change what sport it is being played......

possibilities are pretty endless i hope.

keep up the good work. p.s. did you know blender before coming here? i forgot if i asked you already, your modeling is fantastic.

Alltaken
Everything is clear to me now, i just wonder how it will look in reality.
Thank you, I knew Blender before, but I didn't ever seriously try to learn it, but yours and dmh_mac's work inspired me to try it even harder
StefSybo
Engineer
Engineer

Post by StefSybo »

I've been away for nearly two weeks, but finally I've found some time to work on my house again.

dmh_mac, thanks for your tips, they worked really well.
Attachments
villa.png
villa.png (106.39 KiB) Viewed 4368 times
MeusH
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by MeusH »

StefSybo, can you tell me please how have you made such a fence?
I need help with transparency in Blender :roll:
Or add a second house, or make the current house bigger and more luxury (how to spell that word?), I'd suggest.
Then I'll make two houses in this model, and I'll create one big house as another model.

Frankly, I wanted to make typical "rural luxury house" - with big garden.
If I mock-up the current house, would it be possible to make it replace the cottages?
Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Purno »

StefSybo wrote:I've been away for nearly two weeks, but finally I've found some time to work on my house again.

dmh_mac, thanks for your tips, they worked really well.
Looks very nice, but wouldn't a big house like this have a giant garden around it IRL?
Contributor to the The 2cc Set and Dutch Trainset. Inventor of the Metro concept. Retired Graphics Artist.
Image Image
Download TT | Latest TTDPatch | OpenTTD | OpenTTDCoop | BaNaNaS: OpenTTD content system | 2048² OTTD scenario of the Netherlands
GRF Codec | GRF Crawler | GRF Maker | Usefull graphics & tools sites | NML Documentation Wiki | NFO Documentation Wiki
All my graphics are licensed under GPL. "Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else."
hatebreed
Engineer
Engineer

Post by hatebreed »

StefSybo it looks very nice, but it has too many windows. I mean, who has windows on every wall?? But however it looks very good.
Red.xiii
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Red.xiii »

Purno

Now I don't want this to sound too harsh, but man, give the negative comments a break. All you seem to do is critic peoples work. :(

/rant over

Everyone Else

That is some fantastic work StefSybo, MeusH and G0RR3!!

MeusH, I agree with you, why not just make 2 or 3 different variations of the same model? Do one with current house with nice big garden (football nets, washing line, plants etc), One with 2 houses, and one with a bigger house?

G0RR3, Love the modelling on the building very impressive, excellent detail. Sorry I too think the middle sections are too 'thin' it just looks a little wrong.... Trees will be coming from me soon, sorry for the delay... I like the way your ground isn't flat either

StefSybo, again, excellent work very nicely done. I can only recommend maybe a car on the drive, a tree in the garden and maybe a diving board or ladders on the pool

Moved house for the second time in 2 weeks this week so hopefully sometime next week I’ll be back modelling again :)
Aegir
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Aegir »

Every house here where I've heard complaints of 'too big' 'not enough gardens' 'too much gardens' and so forth, have all been the type of properties that I see in real life quite often.

I really dont see what half of the problem is.

Nice work all, I'm starting to think that pre-rendered wont be too bad actually.
Currently working under the name 'reldred' on Github, and Discord.
NFO/NML coder, part-time patch writer for JGRPP, and all round belligerent.

14:40 <orudge> I can't say I discriminate against any particular user
14:41 <Aegir> orudge: I can!
hatebreed
Engineer
Engineer

Post by hatebreed »

Exactly! Of course there are gardens with too few objects in them. Or ones where you'd think there's a yard sale all year :)
MeusH
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by MeusH »

How about dual cottages?
Attachments
cottages2.png
cottages2.png (46.3 KiB) Viewed 4224 times
Red.xiii
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Red.xiii »

Stunning :)
Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Purno »

dylan.farrow wrote:Purno

Now I don't want this to sound too harsh, but man, give the negative comments a break. All you seem to do is critic peoples work. :(

/rant over
Sorry, I didn't want to sound negative. It really looks good, but it can use some improvements. All of you guys are doing a great job, I wouldn't be able to make such beautiful things. So keep up the great work :!:
Contributor to the The 2cc Set and Dutch Trainset. Inventor of the Metro concept. Retired Graphics Artist.
Image Image
Download TT | Latest TTDPatch | OpenTTD | OpenTTDCoop | BaNaNaS: OpenTTD content system | 2048² OTTD scenario of the Netherlands
GRF Codec | GRF Crawler | GRF Maker | Usefull graphics & tools sites | NML Documentation Wiki | NFO Documentation Wiki
All my graphics are licensed under GPL. "Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else."
Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Purno »

MeusH wrote:How about dual cottages?
Looks awesome! Can you make different sorts (different gardens and such), to increase variety (or however to spell that word)? That would be even more awesome :mrgreen:
Image Image
Alltaken
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Alltaken »

meush, if you made say 6- 7 cottages, then you can mix/match them on all sorts of tiles :D

i can imagine suburbs being pretty cool.

they look great BTW.

Alltaken
Red.xiii
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Red.xiii »

Purno wrote:
dylan.farrow wrote:Purno

/rant over
Sorry, I didn't want to sound negative. It really looks good, but it can use some improvements. All of you guys are doing a great job, I wouldn't be able to make such beautiful things. So keep up the great work :!:
:) Thanks dude
Gorre
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Gorre »

StefSybo

Unlike hatebreed, I think windows are ok, but I'm afraid door is looking little bit small (in contrast with windows), nevertheless, very, very good work.

dylan.farrow

thank you, but I'm sure its site is adequate as it is based on real school.

MeusH

I really like your cottages, as there are many possible variations, suburbs will ook much more real...
lucaspiller
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by lucaspiller »

MeusH wrote:How about dual cottages?
Well it isn't really what I would call a cottage, but it looks nice anyway. Also maybe the buildings could be semi-detached, because it looks rather wierd at the moment. It would probably look ok if you have a few tiles with them on, but just two on their own like this look a bit wierd.
No longer active here, but you can still reach me via email: luca[at]stackednotion[dot]com
Alltaken
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Alltaken »

joint houses would IMO be 3-4 per tile with a thin garden at the back.

or would be 6 per tile with an access lane down the centre of the tile.

i think only large houses should take up an entire square.

also sections need not be a rectangle, they could be any shape division within one tile.

Alltaken
StefSybo
Engineer
Engineer

Post by StefSybo »

MeusH wrote:StefSybo, can you tell me please how have you made such a fence?
The fence is made of lots of cylinders. Every side has one horizontal cylinder and a lot of vertical cylinders. I believe the whole fence has about 20.000 faces, but I think cylinders with less sides (I used the default 32) would be ok too, and it would save you some render time.

Edit: I added a screenshot with a close up view of the fence:
Attachments
fence-detail.png
fence-detail.png (24.94 KiB) Viewed 3871 times

Return to “Graphics Development”