Just some questions

OpenTTD is a fully open-sourced reimplementation of TTD, written in C++, boasting improved gameplay and many new features.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

Mister__X
Engineer
Engineer

Just some questions

Post by Mister__X »

Hi all,

i just have some questions:

1. Is there some info about best stations / intersections to build? Mostly also in combination with priorities?
Until now i use the most basic stations and intersections. It is like an even crossing all the time. That works for low capacity networks, but they start to become a bottleneck with higher throughtputs. Then you need better intersections. Also i wish i knew more abou priority. Just some examples: Can you give priority to the main line at junctions? Can you give priority to full trains at junctions? ...?

2. Is there an easy way to renew all trains (or other vehicles)? After some years there are new locomotives. How to update all trains to the new locomotives? Is there an easy way to do so? I got stuck with slower and faster trains on the same track.

3. Can i somehow turn of break downs? In the past i always playd without breakdowns, since i found them annoying. Now i cant find the option anywhere.

test.png
test.png (480.34 KiB) Viewed 1315 times
Trains on the red line make some funky moves sometimes. If a platform is free, then the trains go to the platform like normal. If there isnt a train free, then they dont just wait, but they start making funky rounds around the yellow part. They just go around and around and around until a platform is empty. As result they go through the intersection in the north east again and again and again for nothing. I really dont know why they just dont wait, like trains do at every other station...

5. Why can't i pick Euro as currency? It is in the list, but it is greyed out. I can pick any other currency, but Euro seems to be blocked as only one. But i want to play in Euro. Anyone knows what happens here?

I think these were my question until know. If i have more, then i will add them to this post.
Chrill

Re: Just some questions

Post by Chrill »

Mister__X wrote: 30 Jul 2023 07:49 Hi all,

1. Is there some info about best stations / intersections to build? Mostly also in combination with priorities?
Until now i use the most basic stations and intersections. It is like an even crossing all the time. That works for low capacity networks, but they start to become a bottleneck with higher throughtputs. Then you need better intersections. Also i wish i knew more abou priority. Just some examples: Can you give priority to the main line at junctions? Can you give priority to full trains at junctions? ...?

2. Is there an easy way to renew all trains (or other vehicles)? After some years there are new locomotives. How to update all trains to the new locomotives? Is there an easy way to do so? I got stuck with slower and faster trains on the same track.

3. Can i somehow turn of break downs? In the past i always playd without breakdowns, since i found them annoying. Now i cant find the option anywhere.

4. test.png
Trains on the red line make some funky moves sometimes. If a platform is free, then the trains go to the platform like normal. If there isnt a train free, then they dont just wait, but they start making funky rounds around the yellow part. They just go around and around and around until a platform is empty. As result they go through the intersection in the north east again and again and again for nothing. I really dont know why they just dont wait, like trains do at every other station...

5. Why can't i pick Euro as currency? It is in the list, but it is greyed out. I can pick any other currency, but Euro seems to be blocked as only one. But i want to play in Euro. Anyone knows what happens here?

I think these were my question until know. If i have more, then i will add them to this post.
1. That very much depends on the situation, really. I'll skip this one and hope someone else answers! Overall, you want to utilise a Ro-Ro format instead of making terminals. That means, trains enter one way and then proceed out the other end instead of turning around.

2. Yes. Auto-renew is a feature, and Replace is a feature. Use the OpenTTD Wiki:
https://wiki.openttd.org/en/Manual/Replace%20vehicles

3. Yes. https://wiki.openttd.org/en/Archive/Man ... Difficulty

4. I don't know why they do that, the picture is a bit busy to see what's up. It's never happened to me. One solution would be to make sure they simply cannot go around by moving one of the two works a bit to remove the ability to go around in the leftmost junction.

5. Is the Euro not invented yet? I think it releases around the year 2000.
My Scenarios:
Archipiélago Hermoso (Latest Release: Version 3.2)
Turnpike Falls (Latest Release: Version 0.91)
skc
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by skc »

Chrill wrote: 30 Jul 2023 11:39
Mister__X wrote: 30 Jul 2023 07:49 Hi all,

4. test.png

1. That very much depends on the situation, really. I'll skip this one and hope someone else answers! Overall, you want to utilise a Ro-Ro format instead of making terminals. That means, trains enter one way and then proceed out the other end instead of turning around.

2. Yes. Auto-renew is a feature, and Replace is a feature. Use the OpenTTD Wiki:
https://wiki.openttd.org/en/Manual/Replace%20vehicles

3. Yes. https://wiki.openttd.org/en/Archive/Man ... Difficulty

4. I don't know why they do that, the picture is a bit busy to see what's up. It's never happened to me. One solution would be to make sure they simply cannot go around by moving one of the two works a bit to remove the ability to go around in the leftmost junction.

5. Is the Euro not invented yet? I think it releases around the year 2000.
1. There's plenty of 'junction' information/tutorials in YouTube videos as well as the OpenTTD wiki, which Chrill has provided a couple of links in to - Similarly with station layouts.

4. Set "Allow 90 degree turns" to off in the settings

5. Yep, Euro is time-limited - you can't play it before the currency is introduced in 'game-time', and you'd have to dig in to the OpenTTD code to find the year it is introduced (or someone else here might know, or do that for you)
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Eddi »

Mister__X wrote: 30 Jul 2023 07:494. Trains on the red line make some funky moves sometimes.
you have too many signals. after passing 10 signals, the penalties for occupied tracks is not counted anymore. so the train sees one full loop as a shorter track than waiting for the platform to free up. if you remove all signals except for the last one before the junction, it would need to loop multiple times instead, which probably balances out the occupied platform penalty.
jfs
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by jfs »

Chrill wrote: 30 Jul 2023 11:39 5. Is the Euro not invented yet? I think it releases around the year 2000.
Yes, if you choose e.g. Deutsch Mark or French Franc when starting in 1950, then when the date turns to year 2000 your currency automatically changes to Euro.
Argus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Argus »

That's strange, I can start with Euro anytime. I thought it was the JGR patchpack, but now I started the 13.0 game in 1880 already with Euro.
skc
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by skc »

Argus wrote: 31 Jul 2023 08:08 That's strange, I can start with Euro anytime. I thought it was the JGR patchpack, but now I started the 13.0 game in 1880 already with Euro.
If you go in to Game Options from the Main Menu, you can select Euro as your currency, irrespective of what your preferred starting year is.
Once you start a game, you'll find you won't be able to switch to using Euro until 1 Jan 2000.

Interesting "feature": Select Euro from the Game Options outside of the game, THEN start a game with the date before 2000 and you'll be playing with Euro as your currency.
Argus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Argus »

I didn't realize that the questioner was talking about an already running game, you can't set the Euro there :) Euro can only be set as currency before starting a new game.
accipiter2000
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by accipiter2000 »

4. because when the way is blocked, the train will try to find other way first, other than stop, and the other way is exist.
My most satisfying game session.
viewtopic.php?p=1267789

Return to “General OpenTTD”