Mittel European Railroads and Others

Screenshots of your games! All Transport Tycoon games acceptable (including TTDPatch and OpenTTD).
jmc47ott
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Re: Mittel European Railroads and Others

Post by jmc47ott »

Here is another example of multiple liveries and one speed change of a single model, the 593 "Camel" DMU. The speed change, in this case, did not involve a change in engine or cars. Some of the changes are very slight, and some appeared to be repeated [so the images and list are not parallel]. In two cases the repetition MAY indicate a time change; I haven't observed such a change as yet.

UPDATE: I have noticed a few changes, but I can not be sure if it is generally the case for every model and consist. In addition, keep in mind that the color choices made in the main game menu affect the colors on display in the liveries. I noticed this more easily when it showed up in a 2 CC consist.

Quigley & Co., 17-03-1948#1 &2.png
Quigley & Co., 17-03-1948#1 &2.png (6.82 KiB) Viewed 3692 times
NOTE: The promised speed increase for 593 LD may require adding another engine, depending on consist length.
[/b]
Quigley's Ferro Carrile 593 Review-1982.png
Quigley's Ferro Carrile 593 Review-1982.png (31.97 KiB) Viewed 3877 times
Last edited by jmc47ott on 24 Dec 2012 23:04, edited 3 times in total.
"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to fulfill it;...and only the dead have seen the end of war."
Jorge Agustín Nicolás Ruiz de Santayana
jmc47ott
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by jmc47ott »

Another model, another dozen [or so] livery choices! There are so many that I am going to have to limit the examples given. In any case, you will have to just "Do it!" to come up with the most pleasing combinations.

The screen shot attached shows the effect of adding and removing mail coaches to the
444 "Little Spanish Crab" EMU//448 "Washing Machine" EMU. Upgrading from class 444
to class 448 results [according to the information given] in about 20% speed increase
but a proportionate decrease in tractive effort.

This is a really, really, really wonderful set. More kudos to the design/development team!

Thank you very much, muchas gracias, vielen dank, merci, hartelijk dank, muito obrigado, 감사합니다, wielkie dzięki,
mnohokrát děkuji, どうもありがとう, большое спасибо, 非常感謝 [and so on, ad infinitem!]

Quigley's Ferro Carille Review-1984.png
Quigley's Ferro Carille Review-1984.png (55.81 KiB) Viewed 3843 times
Last edited by jmc47ott on 25 Dec 2012 03:52, edited 2 times in total.
"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to fulfill it;...and only the dead have seen the end of war."
The Irish
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by The Irish »

Very nice stuff indeed.
*** Ce French Train Set ***
*** Visit my transport related pictures on Flickr ***
ImageImageImageImageImage
Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch
"A committee is a group of men who individually can do nothing but as a group decide that nothing can be done" (Fred Allen 1894-1956 US radio comic).
jmc47ott
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by jmc47ott »

Quigley's Consists & Liveries.png
Quigley's Consists & Liveries.png (70.41 KiB) Viewed 3736 times
Choosing carriages and Liveries in the Spain Set

Choosing carriages and liveries is more complicated than in other sets like the Japanese set. The liveries of engines, mail carriages and passenger carriages can be changed together or independently. Carriages can be removed without changing the livery then reattached after changing the liveries of the engine and other carriages [sometimes].

1. Choose the engine by type, speed and livery [these may change].
2. Choose appropriate carriages for the type and speed of the engine.
3. Make livery changes
a. Make a global change for engine and all cars together.
b. Change and remove carriages after changing liveries.
c. Change livery of engine and any remaining cars.
d. Reassemble the consist.
e. Further adjustment may be needed to achieve the desired effect.
4. Ready to roll. All aboard.

There are some problems you may want to watch out for.

1. If the Spanish Set is used with other sets, an inappropriate graphic might appear instead of the correct one. This may be Toyland or other set carriages appearing as engines or with incorrect cargo assignment.
2. Some of the information given with some engines is incorrect or incomplete. For example, some engines specified to take passenger and mail carriages may take only one [usually passengers] or neither.
3. At least one engine failed to leave the station unless forced. This was not because of the usual problems such as another train on the same line, incompletely upgraded track, inappropriately placed signals, incorrect orders, load all instead of load any being selected, etc. It would travel from station A to Station B and vice versa, and would load/unload as usual, but would not move even if the order was load if available.
Attachments
This is a much simplified summary of the instructions in the text.
This is a much simplified summary of the instructions in the text.
Quigley control panel image.png (168.56 KiB) Viewed 3758 times
Last edited by jmc47ott on 26 Dec 2012 21:37, edited 1 time in total.
jmc47ott
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by jmc47ott »

Quigley's More Consists & Liveries Letter.png
Quigley's More Consists & Liveries Letter.png (34.28 KiB) Viewed 3707 times
For a more complete understanding of managing liveries, the following detailed steps with illustrations are provided.
It is complex and I am still learning myself. To paraphrase John Dewey, 'Learn by doing, and practice makes perfect.'

Usage of this set requires practical application, as comprehensive directions would be both confusing and tedious.
So, have at it then.
Attachments
More detailed and illustrated information.
More detailed and illustrated information.
Quigley's More Consists & Liveries pt3.png (205.41 KiB) Viewed 3701 times
jmc47ott
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by jmc47ott »

The 440 EMU "Little Red Riding Hood" has numerous alternate liveries, some with very small differences [at least as represented in OTTD] in RL they might be more visible. The first illustration shows all of them with mail cars, and most look odd as a result. In four of the 14 versions there was little or no apparent mismatch. The second illustration shows all but those four without the mail cars.

Happy hunting!

Consists of 440 with mail cars
Consists of 440 with mail cars
Little Red Riding Hood P.png (38.73 KiB) Viewed 3684 times
Attachments
Consists of 440 most without mail cars
Consists of 440 most without mail cars
More about Little Red sh.png (26.37 KiB) Viewed 3684 times
jmc47ott
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by jmc47ott »

Happy New Year Train 2.png
Happy New Year Train 2.png (94.02 KiB) Viewed 3536 times
Thanks for the gift of the Spain Set for Christmas this year.

Happy Holidays!
Attachments
Spain Set HST, 24-12-2009.png
Spain Set HST, 24-12-2009.png (86.76 KiB) Viewed 3536 times
jmc47ott
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by jmc47ott »

More Livery Changes: Spain Set. 436 "Swiss" EMU

Recommended site to view liveries and consists of Swiss, Spanish and other trains:

Fahrzeuge für den MM Eisenbahn-Bildschirmschoner von Claus D. Pusch

http://www.corpora-romanica.net/mm/index.htm

A very interesting site for train fanciers. One example of illustrations available on the site follows.
Note it is stated that purchase of the complete screensaver is required for use, I include this as an advisement of what is available, and will make no other use of it. I am awaiting permission to use or order to remove this picture.
Disclaimer: I have no relationship with the site, makers, or posters; nor do I have any
monetary or commercial interest.

Swiss  435.png
Swiss 435.png (4.46 KiB) Viewed 3530 times
Attachments
436 Swiss EMU s.png
436 Swiss EMU s.png (225.99 KiB) Viewed 3530 times
jmc47ott
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by jmc47ott »

El Real Madrid Logo.png
El Real Madrid Logo.png (55.61 KiB) Viewed 3328 times

I have made a small scenario to feature the wonderful Spain set. Please feel free to modify, use or share it.
El Real Madrid [I can't resist making a pun] is presented for your enjoyment in two forms:

1. a bare naked scenario [no New GRFs, but with towns and industries]. See ?( below.

2. a saved game. Please be sure to read the New GRF List provided before trying to play the game in progress.

Have fun!

?( I have recently switched to OTTD version 1.3.1 and am having trouble finding saved scenarios. I can only find what should be .scn items with the .svg file designation. Therefore the promised naked "scenario" is a game in progress with no new GRFS :(
Attachments
El Real Madrid GRF List.png
El Real Madrid GRF List.png (179.15 KiB) Viewed 673 times
Real Madrid Naked 1955.sav
Really "naked" unfortunately!
(74.47 KiB) Downloaded 73 times
jmc47ott
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by jmc47ott »

El Real Madrid Logo sm.png
El Real Madrid Logo sm.png (39.49 KiB) Viewed 3310 times

This is the Real Madrid Game in progress.
Please refer to the posted New GRF list before playing.
Attachments
Real Madrid Co., 10-06-1974.sav
Real Madrid with Many New GRFs.
(189.64 KiB) Downloaded 69 times
SkiddLow
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by SkiddLow »

That's, so use Real Madrid C.F. Become Transport Company
jmc47ott
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by jmc47ott »

I hope you are not offended nor anyone else. It was intended as a kind of joke [a pun] or play on words.
The map is supposed to look like the real [i.e. not fake] Madrid area of Spain. That gave me the idea of making a suggestive RR logo. :wink:
jmc47ott
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by jmc47ott »

Balaton Region Intro.png
Balaton Region Intro.png (146.34 KiB) Viewed 2779 times
A small and relatively easy scenario on the Hungarian Lake Balaton Region. There is a good supply of industries and a number of large and small cities and towns. **I will post two versions, one with new GRFs [please read the GRF List provided before using this one] and one without. I will also post a game in progress using the New GRFs listed.**

**Due to a crash the scenario files have been lost. I will try to recover or recreate them, time permitting.

Disclaimer:

This scenario is provided free for use and modification. However any unfortunate consequence arising from the use or misuse of this scenario are entirely the responsibility of the user.

:!: Would-be users are advised to view the attached GRF List before trying to use the game-in-progress :!:
Attachments
Screenshot with New GRF Settings
Screenshot with New GRF Settings
Namorni Rise Balaton, 24th Nov 1935 NG Settings.png (532.87 KiB) Viewed 673 times
Namorni Rise Balaton, 24th Nov 1935.sav
This is the game in progress.
(94.28 KiB) Downloaded 72 times
Last edited by jmc47ott on 30 Nov 2013 21:33, edited 1 time in total.
jmc47ott
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by jmc47ott »

Hungarian Balatony shield AI crown P.png
Hungarian Balatony shield AI crown P.png (63.96 KiB) Viewed 2757 times
Well, here is the promised bare naked Balaton scenario [i.e. no New GRFs loaded]. Time permitting, I will reconstruct the two with GRFs [one with Czech and one mostly Hungarian items]. The game in progress is a test run, so it contains a full load of various GRFs, not all of which are appropriate to the region. My usual GRF List is a bit more orderly, too.

:arrow: :idea:
In case anyone is wondering, I made the map using the old sv0 creator which works well but only for very small maps.
The shield design is loosely based on the pennant of the Hungarian shipping company Mahart, the Royal Hungarian maritime ensign and various flags, coats of arms and banners of the Austro-Hungarian Empire.

:arrow: :idea:

Czech set Information located at the Tycoonez Community site:
http://wiki.openttd.org/Tycoonez.com:munity_Czech_Sets

MAV set Information at the TT Forum site:
http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=38336

The grf is downloadable from here:
http://grfcrawler.tt-forums.net/index.p ... st&cid=101
or
http://ottdfansite.extra.hu/downloads.p ... nload_id=3

To go with the RR set there is the Hungarian road set.
The web sites were either inoperative or not in English. ;(
Attachments
Balatonia NG.scn
Lake Balaton Region scenario with no New GRFs.
(63.09 KiB) Downloaded 66 times
jmc47ott
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by jmc47ott »

Austro Hungarian Grand Duke's ensign 1894a.gif
Austro Hungarian Grand Duke's ensign 1894a.gif (11.43 KiB) Viewed 2694 times
Announcing the arrival of Archduke Karl Albrecht to inaugurate the new facilities at Balatonboglar. This is the first steamship to cruise Lake Balaton [courtesy of Fish Ships v0.92].

Der Erzherzog wird die neuen anlagen einwiehen. Eljen a nagyherceg!
Attachments
Archduke's arrival Balatonboglar, 8th Nov 1933 sm.png
Archduke's arrival Balatonboglar, 8th Nov 1933 sm.png (502.17 KiB) Viewed 2694 times
jmc47ott
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by jmc47ott »

Swiss RR Screen shot.png
Swiss RR Screen shot.png (133.41 KiB) Viewed 2457 times
When I was a kid, my interest in trains started with an electric model train and a simple layout that my brother and I used to play with. Since then I have played a variety of simulation games. I have also had the experience of real world train travel, including the French TGV, German TEE, Japanese Shinkansen, Korean Sae-Maul Ho, and, of course, the Orient Express from Amsterdam to Istanbul.

Never the less, I occasionally find myself watching model train videos. These videos can help one relate to the GRFs in TTD. They can also remind us to appreciate what we can do, thanks to the the developers, without the expense, space and time required for model train layouts. Just in case this may be of interest to readers/posters, I have decided to post this very incomplete list of a few interesting model train sites.

Model Rail Roads [Videos]

Britain: Glendower - Spectacular OO gauge model railway layout
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j_rwzsdVW6M

Canada: 2013 Great Edmonton Model Train Show
BArailsystem•119 videos
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fdepeHN2ias

Netherlands Railz Rotterdam : Holland’s Biggest HO model railroad layout
Bastiaan Blinksma•918 videos
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uy-dU1a98CQ

Hamburg: Largest Model Train in the World
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yB2UlEOg-sg

Switzerland’s Largest Model Railway Layout in O Scale with Cab Ride
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VovKfPDiGSE

Northlandz: US's Largest Model Train Railroad
plumtv•566 videos
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZPqOs4K6r7w

New England [USA]: Model Train EXPO 2010
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O7JYteM92o0

US Eastern States Expo Model Railroad Show PSMRC - 2011
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pT1cja2CX5o
jmc47ott
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by jmc47ott »

Previously, I have lauded the Japanese Set and recommended it to your attention. There is a new complete set [Version 4] available for your use. The new set differs from the previous sets in some significant features that users should be aware of. Both sets are very good, but the discerning user will have to consider the relative merits of each because they can not be used simultaneously.

A. The original sets had numerous liveries that could be somewhat confusing. The number of liveries has been very much reduced in Version 4.

B. The modular station in the previous versions featured modules with various colorful hotel and shopping features, whereas the new version [#4] features an historic building, and a large, interesting but undifferentiated facade.

As each version has its appeal, they will attract players with different tastes and interests. I have decided, therefore, to render the public service of providing my fellow fans with pictorial evidence upon which to make their decisions.

Voila!

#1 the original Modular Station [not all sections have been included]
#2 a beautiful historic station
#3 the generic modular station

It is a shame that a choice is necessary. I wonder if it would be possible to make the decorative [i.e. non track-function] elements available as independent objects, as done in CHIPS, Dutch, DWE and Finish Sets?
Attachments
Japanese Modular Station Original.png
Japanese Modular Station Original.png (343.8 KiB) Viewed 2380 times
Japanese Set V4  Modal Station #1.png
Japanese Set V4 Modal Station #1.png (110.8 KiB) Viewed 2380 times
Japanese Set V4  Modal Station #2.png
Japanese Set V4 Modal Station #2.png (112.19 KiB) Viewed 2380 times
Kevo00
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Kevo00 »

Seems a shame that they have reduced the variety in the set - what has improved?
jmc47ott
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by jmc47ott »

CoA Japanese Netherlands.png
CoA Japanese Netherlands.png (91.18 KiB) Viewed 2246 times
Well that is a difficult question. It IS mostly a matter of taste. The developers have spent a lot of time and effort and produced a very good and good-looking set. It seems that the new version makes a game that operates faster. It is easier to use because there are fewer liveries and the liveries do not change as frequently. As far as the new large station possibilities, it is possible to make a large uniform station that looks better and more "realistic" than some large constructions using the old set. Here is a screenie of a particularly ugly usage of the original Japanese set to contrast with the ones above. Attachment 1.

OTOH, while the new [V4] Japanese modular station [V4 #2] is satisfactorily large and colorful, it must be said that it is a bit complicated to use and there is a definite learning curve involved with assembling the elements into a pleasing design. I would like to recommend that one or both of the sets be made available as non-track station elements; that way players can have the best of both.

Fiddling with the station elements: attachment 2 shows some trial by error results and the station element choice panel.

NOTICE:
I have been calling it V4 because it seems to be the 4th version, however it is officially designated V 3.
Attachments
Dutch Transport Co., Original Japan Set Station.png
Dutch Transport Co., Original Japan Set Station.png (94.29 KiB) Viewed 2246 times
New Japanese Modular Station 3 shot 2s.png
New Japanese Modular Station 3 shot 2s.png (208.28 KiB) Viewed 2246 times
jmc47ott
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by jmc47ott »

As for the changes in the available liveries, this is a sampler of the liveries available in the old set and the simplified choices available in the new set. This is only a comparison of DMU and EMU trains.

A few other trains appear in the same time period, but with only one livery available for each. They are:

Class 40 EMU
Class 103 EMU
Class 115 EMU
Class 583 EMU [Express]
Odakyu 3100 EMU
Attachments
Old vs New Japanese Sets GY 1960s S.png
Old vs New Japanese Sets GY 1960s S.png (426.92 KiB) Viewed 2220 times

Return to “Screenshots”