[Tutorial] Landscape Creation with Photoshop

Got problems with Locomotion? Find assistance here!

Moderator: Locomotion Moderators

samsonite
Engineer
Engineer

[Tutorial] Landscape Creation with Photoshop

Post by samsonite »

This will be a step-by-step guide for using Photoshop to create heightmaps that can be plugged into the program "mapgen" to create Locomotion landscapes.
I use Photoshop to create these images, but you could also use other programs like GIMP.

Step 1) Create a new Photoshop file. Make sure it is 384x384, as this is the size that mapgen uses. Run "Filter->Render-->Clouds" until you get an image that you like.

2) Use Dodge/Burn or the brush , with transparency, to modify the image and raise or lower some areas to your liking.

3) If you want to and know how to, use the "levels" menu to make the blacks blacker and the whites whiter. This will give more depth to the image so that the resulting landscape will have more height variation. *note - If you have flat areas that you do not want covered with water, make sure that they are not pure black. Locomotion will say that it is too low and will not let you build on them unless you elevate your railroad tracks.*

4) Run "Filter->Blur->Gaussian Blur", set it somewhere below half strength so that your image loses some detail but not too much. This will soften the landscape and make it come out smoother.

5) Now we will add some variety and texture to the simple landscape that we have so far. Create a new layer on top of this and fill it with black. Run "Filter->Noise->Add Noise", then desaturate it so it's greyscale and run another Gaussian Blur to soften it up a bit.

6) Set the noise layer to "Soft Light" and adjust the transparency so that it is just barely distinguishable from the bottom layer. Use the eraser or a layer mask to remove texture from areas you want to remain flat. This will be your final image.

7) Save that image as a .BMP and use mapgen to create the .sc5 file. Import it into Lomo's landscape editor and start filling up the map with towns, industries, vegetation, and the like.

There you go! You have just created an intricate, detailed landscape!

Just in case anyone wants to play around with it, I've uploaded the landscape file that resulted from this tutorial.
Attachments
photoshop_landscape_tutorial.sc5
(4.61 MiB) Downloaded 316 times
Lighthouse
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator
Location: ´s-Hertogenbosch (AKA "The Duke´s Forest") , the Netherlands

Re: [Tutorial] Landscape Creation with Photoshop

Post by Lighthouse »

Thank You 8)
The only thing that is not very successful in the wireless version : Bungee Jumping 8o
Just fold at the dotted line and cut it out with a pair of scissors. If you are under the age of 16 please ask one of your parents or an adult supervisor if she/he can help you.
Image........................................................................................
ImageImage
Lochris
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Lochris »

Interesting instruction!

A few weeks ago I also made a tutorial about mapgen and image creation. I use PhotoFiltre which is freeware. And I don't use "random clouds" but draw the landscape (valleys, hills, rivers etc.).

By now, the text is only available in german, but I will maybe change this in the future ;-)
http://www.lochris.lima-city.de/sonstig ... entut.html
ImageImage

English is not my mother tongue, so feel free to correct me!
TehPlaneFreak
Engineer
Engineer

Post by TehPlaneFreak »

Great!
But how do we change the year?
TehPlaneFreak!
SD89MAC
Director
Director

Post by SD89MAC »

TehPlaneFreak wrote:Great!
But how do we change the year?
In the Scenario Editor, when you use the finished landscape to make a scenario.
Image - Winner of the 2010 - Best New User Award (Locomotion Forum)

Return to “Locomotion Problems, FAQs and Tutorials”