New map features

Forum for technical discussions regarding development. If you have a general suggestion, problem or comment, please use one of the other forums.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

3iff
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: New map features

Post by 3iff »

I'm just giving this version a try. I've instantly noticed one thing which is confusing me. I'm trying to determine if it's me doing something stupid or whether something has changed.

When creating a new rail signal, the first click drops a signal that is 180 degrees rotated versus the regular trunk versions (nightly 27112 for example). All the config settings are the same (as I just copied the cfg file over...). Am I missing something?

All my vehicles drive on the left (including trains). I can probably get used to the difference if necessary.

Below is the difference of a single click to install a signal.
signals1.png
signals1.png (36.82 KiB) Viewed 2109 times
Eddy Arfik
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Eddy Arfik »

Updated Windows 64-bit binary
Attachments
OpenTTD-nmf-g1a7823f8_Win64.7z
(5.32 MiB) Downloaded 36 times
wallyweb
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by wallyweb »

3iff wrote: All the config settings are the same (as I just copied the cfg file over...). Am I missing something?
Just curious ... Is your O/S Windows?
The reason I ask is I am on Windows7 and when I installed trunk the openttd.cfg file was installed in the following folder ...

Code: Select all

..\My Documents\OpenTTD
Then, when I install Cirdan's branch it finds everything in that folder and I do not have to copy anything.
Perhaps this is different when running on Linux.

@Cirdan ... I just confirmed 3iff's observations with the Path Signals and the One-way Path Signals in both semaphor and electric.
3iff
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by 3iff »

I'm still on Windows XP. I have the config file in the OTTD folder (so I can find it easily).
It's loading the config file fine...

I do keep multiple versions of ottd around and each have their own config file. When I get a new version I just duplicate the current folder, copy new files to there and rename the folder to the new version number.

Thanks for the confirmation...I'm not hallucinating after all!
wallyweb
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by wallyweb »

3iff wrote:...I'm not hallucinating after all!
Either that, or with you in England and I in Canada, this would be the most remarkable case of mass hallucination ever. :lol:
cirdan
Director
Director

Post by cirdan »

3iff wrote:I'm just giving this version a try. I've instantly noticed one thing which is confusing me. I'm trying to determine if it's me doing something stupid or whether something has changed.

When creating a new rail signal, the first click drops a signal that is 180 degrees rotated versus the regular trunk versions (nightly 27112 for example). All the config settings are the same (as I just copied the cfg file over...). Am I missing something?
...only with path signals (otherwise, both of them are built, as usual).

Indeed, it seems that I inadvertently changed this at some point in time. I would have never thought such a small change would be noticed, if it happened—in fact, nobody noticed it for months—but you are a keen observer. And there is an unexpected bonus: I linked your report to some strange behaviour I was seeing in an AI script with respect to signals, which turned out to be caused by this discrepancy in signal construction and has been fixed as well as a side effect.

I have already pushed the fix, along with a few other commits. Thanks!
wallyweb
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by wallyweb »

cirdan wrote:I have already pushed the fix, along with a few other commits. Thanks!
... and here is the Win32 binary with :bow: to Cirdan:
OpenTTD-g5b022e0b-Win32.7z
(5.44 MiB) Downloaded 35 times
Enjoy,
:D
TrueSatan
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by TrueSatan »

And here is the usual Ubuntu build :)
Attachments
openttd-custom-g5b022e0b-UNIX.tar.xz
Version: g5b022e0b
Ubuntu 14.04 64bit
(4.62 MiB) Downloaded 32 times
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by 3298 »

Wrt. signals facing the wrong direction compared to trunk: was that what provoked the train crash which crashed my game two years back? (Page 7, if anyone wonders what I'm talking about.) I just blamed it on the AI back then... but I noticed something!
Eddy Arfik
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Eddy Arfik »

and here is Windows 64-bit build
Attachments
OpenTTD-nmf-g5b022e0b_Win64.7z
(5.52 MiB) Downloaded 34 times
3iff
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by 3iff »

Cirdan wrote:Indeed, it seems that I inadvertently changed this at some point in time. I would have never thought such a small change would be noticed, if it happened—in fact, nobody noticed it for months—but you are a keen observer. And there is an unexpected bonus: I linked your report to some strange behaviour I was seeing in an AI script with respect to signals, which turned out to be caused by this discrepancy in signal construction and has been fixed as well as a side effect.

I have already pushed the fix, along with a few other commits. Thanks!
My pleasure. I have found quite a few bugs in ottd and consider it my way of contributing to the project.
In many hours of playing I've installed many thousands of signals. When they began to drop 'backwards' I noticed immediately.

I can confirm the new version drops signals 'correctly'. Thanks.
TrueSatan
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by TrueSatan »

Hey Cirdan,

sorry but i found a bug with a crash.
If you build a straight line with one tunnel (length doesn't matter i guess) and another straight line at then end of the tunnel
and you start to set one signal at one end of the straight line and drag it to the other end of the tunnel the game crashes.
Not a problem if you use the ctrl + drag to build to the next station.

maybe i will find the crashlogs on my linux lol
tried it with a vanilla game without any extra graphic sets, not tested on trunk though works on 1.5 official build.
Seen on the 64bit version of windows that the cost calculation fails with an error.

Cheers

PS: Hurray found the linux crash log etc :D

Edit: Testing with 1.5 official build to check if it happens there
Attachments
crash-signal-drag-and-drop.tar.xz
(1.54 MiB) Downloaded 30 times
cirdan
Director
Director

Post by cirdan »

3298 wrote:Wrt. signals facing the wrong direction compared to trunk: was that what provoked the train crash which crashed my game two years back?
It is possible, but unlikely. Placing signals in an unexpected way can cause a deadlock, but not a train crash. Even if you do it on a live piece of track, placing new signals (on a tile where there was track but no signals) should not cause a crash.
TrueSatan wrote:sorry but i found a bug with a crash.
If you build a straight line with one tunnel (length doesn't matter i guess) and another straight line at then end of the tunnel
and you start to set one signal at one end of the straight line and drag it to the other end of the tunnel the game crashes.
Thanks for your report. I can reproduce the crash on a fresh game (although not exactly in the same way). There is a mismatch between the test and exec runs of the command, and that triggers an assertion. I will look into this.
cirdan
Director
Director

Post by cirdan »

TrueSatan wrote:sorry but i found a bug with a crash.
I have updated the repository with a fix for this bug: Building or removing signals on a stretch of track will now ignore tunnels. I know that this is not a perfect solution, but the proper fix is going to take longer and a missing feature is better than a crash in the meanwhile, so this will have to do for now.
wallyweb
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by wallyweb »

cirdan wrote:I have updated the repository ...
:bow: ... and here is the Wndows binary:
OpenTTD-g124faa8e-Win32.7z
Guaranteed to have no guarantee
(5.44 MiB) Downloaded 39 times
Enjoy
:D
TrueSatan
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by TrueSatan »

cirdan wrote: I have updated the repository with a fix for this bug: Building or removing signals on a stretch of track will now ignore tunnels. I know that this is not a perfect solution, but the proper fix is going to take longer and a missing feature is better than a crash in the meanwhile, so this will have to do for now.
Thanks for the new version.
Here is my linux version as usual :)

After a short test i noticed that you can't use the auto placement for signals in tunnels with ctrl and drag anymore.
Guess that's the side effect from removing the check for tunnels completely.
But maybe if you someday start to fix it you can fix the strange placement behaviour on the tunnel ends as well.
Posted it a while ago.
Currently I can work without it, because I had to replace the signals anyway.
Any chance to remove the signals on start and end of the tunnel as well? Since I place those signals in tunnels
eventually afterwards. A setting for that would be appreciated.

Cheers
Attachments
openttd-custom-g124faa8e-UNIX.tar.xz
Verion: g124faa8e
Ubuntu 14.04 64 bit
(4.62 MiB) Downloaded 31 times
Arieuitalkmaar
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Arieuitalkmaar »

Hey Cirdan,

I read A LOT in this thread and are impressed by all the work you put in this project.
I played Transport Tycoon since the first version (without Deluxe) and this would be one of the nicest improvents since multiplayer mode and bigger maps.

Most of the stuf i read here is new for me and some of it I do understand.
For me (just a big fan and player of this game) the one question remains is;
When will we be able to enjoy tunnel and bridge signals in a stable version version?
And did some of your work made v1.0.5?

I tried a Nightly version once and it was great (and there were even bigger maps)

Again, thanks for all the hard work!
Fleashosio
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Fleashosio »

Arieuitalkmaar wrote:Hey Cirdan,

I read A LOT in this thread and are impressed by all the work you put in this project.
I played Transport Tycoon since the first version (without Deluxe) and this would be one of the nicest improvents since multiplayer mode and bigger maps.

Most of the stuf i read here is new for me and some of it I do understand.
When will we be able to enjoy tunnel and bridge signals in a stable version version?
And did some of your work made v1.0.5?

I tried a Nightly version once and it was great (and there were even bigger maps)

Again, thanks for all the hard work!
Same here! I've been kinda lurking and following this thread since I joined, because I think it is one of the greatest things to be added to the game so far! I know you had some issues getting it into trunk before, though.
Regardless of the situation, I'd like to say that it looks like an amazing addition and I love the work you've put into it. woo! :D
cirdan
Director
Director

Post by cirdan »

TrueSatan wrote:After a short test i noticed that you can't use the auto placement for signals in tunnels with ctrl and drag anymore.
Guess that's the side effect from removing the check for tunnels completely.
Yes, that is intended (for now).
TrueSatan wrote:But maybe if you someday start to fix it you can fix the strange placement behaviour on the tunnel ends as well.
Posted it a while ago.
Currently I can work without it, because I had to replace the signals anyway.
Any chance to remove the signals on start and end of the tunnel as well? Since I place those signals in tunnels
eventually afterwards. A setting for that would be appreciated.
I will have to revisit the autosignal code with respect to tunnels eventually, but I have some ideas for command handling that I would like to iron out first.
Arieuitalkmaar wrote:I read A LOT in this thread and are impressed by all the work you put in this project.
Fleashosio wrote: Same here! I've been kinda lurking and following this thread since I joined, because I think it is one of the greatest things to be added to the game so far! I know you had some issues getting it into trunk before, though.
Regardless of the situation, I'd like to say that it looks like an amazing addition and I love the work you've put into it. woo! :D
Well, thank you both.
Arieuitalkmaar wrote:Most of the stuf i read here is new for me and some of it I do understand.
That depends on what you mean by a stable version. In my fork, signals in tunnels are already available, and signals on bridges are planned although their implementation is stalled. However, my fork does not have any stable versions because I only have a development branch. If somebody wants to make a stable branch (create the branch, test for bugs, fix them, release), they would be welcome, but I would rather devote my own efforts to the master branch.

If you mean a stable openttd release, then I cannot say—you should ask the openttd development team. Bear in mind that I forked off precisely because I felt that they were ignoring my work, so you may not have much luck with them.
TrueSatan
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by TrueSatan »

Thanks Cirdan, take your time.
I am happy that we have signals in tunnel now, everything else is just
some nice extra. I surely won't go back to the trunk anymore without
the sigunnel feature :D

And I am not sure if signals on bridges is needed. Since we have custom
bridgeheads with the signals on it, it helps a lot to build decent networks.
But that maybe because I try to avoid to use long bridges.

So thanks again for your hard work, looking forward to the next update :)
Cheers

Return to “OpenTTD Development”